Start by marking “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” as Want to Read:
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  40,570 Ratings  ·  6,409 Reviews
From Taylor Jenkins Reid, “a genius when it comes to stories about life and love” (Redbook), comes an unforgettable and sweeping novel about one classic film actress’s relentless rise to the top—the risks she took, the loves she lost, and the long-held secrets the public could never imagine.

Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the t
Published June 13th 2017 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, please sign up.
Cari No but she does seem to have some characteristics and life events of several actual old Hollywood starlets. Hidden bisexuality - Greta Garbo &…moreNo but she does seem to have some characteristics and life events of several actual old Hollywood starlets. Hidden bisexuality - Greta Garbo & Tallulah Bankhead, Platinum blonde hair - Marilyn Monroe, seeming Prince Charming 1st husband who was abusive/many marriages - Elizabeth Taylor, Americanizing ethnic background to succeed - Rita Hayworth. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenni Frencham Yes the LGBT content has a lot to do with the story. It's worth your time.

Emily May
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: botm, chick-lit, 2017
Is Evelyn Hugo going to tell me just enough to keep me on the edge of my seat but never enough to truly reveal anything?

I can't say for sure what drew me to this book. It's not the kind of thing I usually pick up, and I haven't read anything by Reid before. But something about it intrigued me. So I checked out the kindle sample. Just a couple chapters, I figured, because I probably wouldn't like it anyway. And I was HOOKED.

It's perfect, easy beach read material. It's not particularly deep, it
Em
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to be as motivated and focused in university as Evelyn Hugo was in continuing to flourish after all of her 7 divorces and getting richer than all of her 7 husbands combined.... then spend the rest of her days frolicking in sun hazed fields of butterflies and dandelion clocks with her wife.

this book was so wild I feel like it fundamentally changed me as a human being. I've witnessed cosmic justice at its coldest and its darkest. I'm genuinely so tempted to go buy myself an expensive bottle
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5) I’ve been struggling with a lot of books lately because I just don’t care about them. I don’t care about the story. I don’t care about the characters. I just don’t care! I thought it was all me, that I must have a cold heart but then this book happened.

I thought this was a literary fiction but it read more like a chick lit. A deep chick lit if that can even be a thing. This book made me realize that it is absolutely not me but them!

I cared deeply for the flawed characters in this book. Wh
Melanie

“I spent half my time loving her and the other half hiding how much I loved her.”

This is one of the best books I’ve ever had the privilege to read. It is probably in the top five for best books I’ve ever read in my entire life. I have been looking for a book like this my entire life, and no combination of words I’m about to type, and you’re about to read, is going to do this masterpiece justice. But I will say that Gabby, Joce, Amelie, and Elyse were all right, and I’m so happy I listened to
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Make them pay you as much as they would a white man.”

this book made me experience all five stages of grief and simultaneously made me feel every positive emotion in the world and I have no idea how that is possible. but listen, if you only read one book I recommend you this year, this is a good choice. ✨✨✨

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is, yeah, about the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Seven husbands who are sometimes awful and sometimes sympathetic and sometimes somewhere in between. Er
Emma Giordano
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is genuinely one of the most remarkable novels I have ever read. It is a favorite of the year, it will be a favorite of all time. I am wholly enchanted by The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and I will never forget how much I adore this book.

CW: adultery, domestic abuse, death/grief, homophobia/biphobia, racism

Adult fiction is not typically my cup of tea, especially a combination of historical fiction and contemporary with the amount of long flashbacks (flashbacks: ALSO NOT MY THING). I have
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
I... don't even know where to start.

This was absolutely FANASTIC, and I was expecting to love it (this is a 5-star predicted read) but I was completely blown away. The characters are utterly captivating and complex. The audiobook was wonderfully narrated. I am a FAN!
Victoria Schwab
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an extraordinary and surprising read. Absolutely adored this one.
Elyse
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evelyn Hugo, born Evelyn Elena Herrera, daughter of Cuban immigrants, grew up poor in Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York City. By 1955 she was in Hollywood.
Evelyn is beautiful....as tall and slim as a ballerina, with straight thick eyebrows, oversize almond shape eyes, blonde hair, ( dyed only after she arrives in Hollywood to help her get acting roles), rich, powerful, charming, and exudes a casualness and confidence that makes her all the more radiating.
This enchanting lovely woman was
destiny ☠ howling libraries
“Don't ignore half of me so you can fit me into a box. Don't do that.”

Let me go ahead and say that I had no idea what to expect from this book. When it first released, I remember seeing it everywhere, and I honestly didn’t take any interest in it until I was told about how diverse it was. It’s full of incredible representation: you’ve got bi rep, gay rep, lesbian rep, a Cuban woman, a biracial woman—so when I heard about all of that, I finally decided to give it a try, and I’m so glad that I
Maria
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

This book is phenomenal. This book is spectacular. This book is outstanding. I have nothing negative to say about this book. It's a pure 5 star for me. I'm irrevocably astonished and astounded. I want to hug and kiss this bo
Julie
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a 2017 Atria Books publication.

A story so well written I had to remind myself it was a work of fiction.

The cleverly titled novel appealed to my interest in old Hollywood, the scandals and cover-ups the public never had the slightest clue existed.

Evelyn Hugo is a faded movie star in advanced years who has decided to write her life story- a deliciously scandalous tell all with a sharp focus on her seven marriages.

To help with this task, she lures Monique Gra
✨    jamieson   ✨
::FULL REVIEW BELOW ::

Folks, this book just came into my home and murdered me personally I’m shaking

So, I literally cried for 20 minutes when listening this and not like cute little sniffles either I mean full on tears streaming down my face heaving sobs crying I'm talking having to keep wiping your eyes so you can see. I rarely get truly emotional in books so the fact this book drew that reaction from me is a testament to how fucking damn good it is. Like, please believe the hype people

Like ge
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I’m just sobbing on my couch. No big deal. I’ve been emotionally gutted, but whatever. This book had two of the most wonderfully fascinating complex female characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading about, BUT ILL BE FINE
Riley
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I finished this at 3am and then cried myself to sleep. This was truly remarkable. Evelyn Hugo is a character I won't get out of my head for a long time.
❄️Nani❄️
4.5⭐

This book is fucking spectacular.

I’m blown away by the level of depth that this book had and the emotional toll it’s taken on my heart.
Tan Markovic
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No doubt...5/5 stars...

Read from start to finish and reviewed in one day, if that doesn't say everything I don't know what will. This review will probably just be a load of rambling nonsense as I'm writing it straight after finishing the book and I'm overwhelmed with what I've just read.

I loved everything about this wonderful story; the well developed characters, the juicy plot, the interesting way in which it was written and the twist that I never saw coming- all of this from the very start ha
Monica
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is not only one of my favorite books of this year, but one of my favorite books I've ever read in my entire life.
PorshaJo
Rating 4.5

So here is a little secret.....when I travel via plane, I make a b-line to the sundries shops in the airports to read the 'rag' magazines. I will stand in there and read a bunch of them cover to cover. I love it. Something about those juicy stories that you think 'they can't be true, right', something about getting the glimpse of the stars and the outrageous stories, it's a guilty pleasure. Reading this one by Talylor Jenkins Reid, gave me that same wonderful, guilty pleasure feeling.
Nadia Awadi
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A conversation between me and Google because: Why not?

Google: What can I do for you today?

me: Search for the actress Evelyn Hugo.

Google: Isn't that a fictional character?

me: Wha..What do you mean? But she's real! She has blond hair and dark eyebrows, she's ruthless yet kind, she can't be a fictional character!

Google: I understand your pain Nadia but you have to come to terms with reality. Evelyn Hugo is not real.

me: Noooooo! Does that mean Harry, Celia and John aren't real?

Google: I'm afraid so
amy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, favorites
[full review posted]

i have completely and utterly fallen in love with this masterpiece of a book, and here's why you should read it, too:

i'm thoroughly convinced that the seven husbands of evelyn hugo falls into the "books you MUST read before you die" category. regardless of your gender, your sexuality, reader or non-reader, no matter who you are or where you come from, you should read this book.

it fundamentally changed me as a person (and i'm not just saying that, i truly feel like i'm a compl
Norma * Traveling Sister
4.5 Stars!

Traveling Sisters Group Read which I read along with Brenda, Holly, PorshaJo, Jennifer and my Mom, Linda! It was another awesome experience to read THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO with this wonderful group of ladies. Thank you everyone who participated in this group read!

THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO by TAYLOR JENKINS REID was a surprisingly good read for me that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish! It was a fun, wicked, and an absolutely engaging read!

Highly recommend thi
Kayla Dawn
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was phenomenal. So honest and raw, I just loved it.
Re-read: March 2018
Sigh... I love this book.

Original Review: June 2017
This stunning, emotional, spitfire book is about old Hollywood teaching an unsuspecting innocent a thing or two about success in all its forms and doing whatever it takes to get it.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo features alternating timelines as an aging starlet (Evelyn Hugo) participates in a journalism interview of her life story. Lucky for us, her answers take on a life of their own, allowing readers to be sucked back i
Claudia Ramírez
I'm going to think until I do my wrap up if this will be a 4.5 stars read or 5 star read. BUT WOW. Just know that I loved it.

No puede ser que no hubiera escuchado sobre este libro antes, ¡es una maravilla! Y las miles de reseñas positivas lo respaldan. La historia de Evelyn Hugo te quita el aliento. Es intrigante y muy cautivadora; y es de esas de las que simplemente quieres saber MÁS Y MÁS. Yo no podía creer lo inmersa que estaba en la lectura. Solo quería saber más sobre Evelyn Hugo, sus logro
Jennifer Kyle
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

“Seven husbands. Which one did she love best? Which one was the real one?”

description

I’m a huge fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid books and in this novel she presents the life story of an Hollywood icon who seems to have randomly picked our heroine to write this priceless piece. The story is not what I expected yet was executed and delivered expertly and left me in awe of Miss Reid’s talent.

“I will tell you my life story in a way that will be beneficial to both us. Although, to be honest, mainly you.”

T
Imane
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
― Taylor Jenkins Reid, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

🌟3.75/5🌟
description

I have been seeing this novel all over booktube for a long while, and finally decided to pick it up a week ago, this is the first time I read any of Taylor Jenkins Reid's work and
Carol (Bookaria)
What an amazing book!

This novel tells the story of Evelyn Hugo, a famous Hollywood actress that started her career in the fifties. She's almost 80 years old and wants to have her autobiography written by a relatively-unknown journalist named Monique.

Monique is as astounded as most people are to learn that the highly-successful and reclusive Evelyn Hugo wants her to write the story of Evelyn's life but she agrees and this is the beginning of this remarkable book.

The story is told from the points
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
See this review and more like it on www.bookbastion.net

When I think back on my reading habits from a year ago and compare them to today, it makes me so glad that I started book blogging. Without this wonderful community of avid readers, I never would have discovered this book. It is far outside what I'd normally pick for myself to read, but finding it was like finding a diamond in the rough, if the rough is the bookstore I was unleashed onto when I committed to buying it. Thanks to a few fellow
Erin
Taylor Jenkins Reid is a Old Hollywood fan. You can tell from reading this book.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is part faux memoir part commentary on what life as a Hollywood actress in the 1950's & 60's was like. Evelyn Hugo is jigsaw puzzle that's pieces are slowly put together as you read it. As a Old Hollywood fan I spent this book trying to figure out which real life actresses Evelyn Hugo was based off of. I have a list but I won't reveal it because two of the actresses would be spo
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • Until It Fades
  • Off the Ice (Juniper Falls, #1)
  • Bad Romance
  • Miss You
  • The Impossible Vastness of Us
  • Made For Sin
  • Results May Vary
  • Dream Cuts
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)
  • Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)
  • Zhek
  • Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History
  • The Dark Days Deceit (Lady Helen, #3)
  • Gem & Dixie
  • The Boy Is Back (Boy, #4)
  • Maximus
  • Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)
Taylor Jenkins Reid is the author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, One True Loves, Maybe in Another Life, and two other novels. She lives in Los Angeles. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @tjenkinsreid.
More about Taylor Jenkins Reid

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“People think that intimacy is about sex. But intimacy is about truth. When you realize you can tell someone your truth, when you can show yourself to them, when you stand in front of them bare and their response is 'you're safe with me'- that's intimacy.” 121 likes
“Never let anyone make you feel ordinary.” 70 likes