Start by marking “The Empty Pot” as Want to Read:
The Empty Pot

The Empty Pot

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  3,832 Ratings  ·  466 Reviews
An IRA-CBC Children's Choice.

An American Bookseller "Pick of the Lists."

When Ping admits that he is the only child in China unable to grow a flower from the seeds distributed by the Emperor, he is rewarded for his honesty.
Published September 15th 1996 by Henry Holt & Company (first published January 1st 1990)

Sheeba Virani
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, one of the best children's books that I have read! This book emphasizes the fact that it is important to do your best always. If you have honestly worked hard and tried your best you will succeed. It shows children how honesty and perseverance pays off for the little boy Ping and makes him emperor. It helps children understand the value of truth, hard work and courage.

Extension- Provide children with a small foam cup each labelled with their name. Help them plant some flower seeds. Explain
Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
A wonderful story about the importance of telling the truth. Ping is the subject of a Chinese emperor who is exceptionally gifted at growing things. When it is time for the old king to choose his successor, he tests the children of the land by giving them each a seed to cultivate and bring to him within a year. Ping is unable to get this seed of all seeds to grow, and brings his empty pot to the king, whereupon the king reveals his wisdom in a surprise ending.

This is an aesthetic, moral story wi
midnightfaerie
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A great educational book for your children of all ages. My 5 yr old loved it as well as my 3 yr old twins. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. It was recommended as additional reading to my child's history lesson on China, and we all loved it. This legend from China is a wonderful story even adults will love. You'll also appreciate the subtle lesson embedded in the book. Can't wait to pick up more by Demi. A great addition to any children's libr ...more
Judy
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A kingdom where everyone loved flowers, especially a young boy named Ping who could make anything grow ... all of which is good to see in a story for children.

Ultimately, honesty is rewarded.

The art fits the story beautifully.

I wish Demi had included a note explaining the origins of the tale.
معصومه توکلی
خاطره انگیز و آشنا...
در حدّی که نزدیک بود بگذارمش در قفسه ی کودکی! حال آن که در سی سالگی من منتشر شده است!
عاشق ایده های ازلی-ابدی بعضی از کتاب های کودکانه ام.
یکی اش همین جناب ایشان.
Karen
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Empty Pot by Demi demonstrates an authentic experience of a Chinese boy named Ping. The author was not born in China, but her inner perspective of the culture becomes evident in her book. The story takes place in China. The book shows Chinese children and an Emperor. The illustrations are colorful, accurate and true to the time period portrayed, and all details of each illustration are chronologically accurate.

As we read the book it moves us into Ping’s experience on trying so hard to get a
Aladdin Jones
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great tale for younger children...really even for those who are starting in the 1st grade. This is a tale that speaks to the characteristics of self-worth as well as honesty. Young Ping, the main character of the story, learns that he has a unique talent for nurturing a garden. But when given the opportunity to take part in a competition, he realizes that there are others whose results and talent appears to be better than his own. This, of course, brings him to the point of discouragem ...more
Vaishali
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read 5-star fiction in a while, but you know it when you see it. BAM!
Warm, innocent, magnetic, tender, and full of truth.
A climax which brought tears to my eyes.... hands down the best part of my entire day.
Cynthia Egbert
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Such a beautiful reminder of the importance of honesty and the power contained with being true to yourself and your efforts. I love this book so much and wish that every family could share it and discuss its truths.
Aamina
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful story but I wasn't fond of the illustrations.
Life Lesson: Honesty is the best policy 2 7 Sep 16, 2012 05:14PM
  • The Sandwich Swap
  • The First Strawberries
  • Ruby's Wish
  • Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge
Demi (September 2, 1942) born Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt, is an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator. During her career she has published over 300 titles.

Demi was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is the great-grand daughter of the American painter William Morris Hunt, and the great-grand niece of architect Richard Morris Hunt. Demi earned her nickname as a young child when her fa
More about Demi...