Start by marking “The Elements of Eloquence” as Want to Read:
The Elements of Eloquence

The Elements of Eloquence

This is an alternate cover edition for ISBN 9781785781728 .

The idiosyncratic, erudite and brilliantly funny new book from Mark Forsyth, bestselling author of The Etymologicon and The Horologicon.

In an age unhealthily obsessed with substance, this is a book on the importance of pure style.

From classic poetry to pop lyrics and from the King James Bible to advertising sloga
Published November 3rd 2016 by Icon Books Ltd (first published November 7th 2013)

Start your review of The Elements of Eloquence
JV (semi-hiatus)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers from all walks of life
A brilliant look at the art of rhetorics by employing rhetorical devices to further enhance and tighten one's literary belt, rhetorically speaking. Dramatic, bloody hilarious, and exquisitely witty, Forsyth fuses various elements of eloquence with erudition that empower writers from all walks of life.
"The figures of rhetoric are the beauties of all the poems we have ever read. Without them we would merely be us: eating, sleeping, manufacturing and dying. With them everything can be glorious.
Roy Lotz
I don’t have all that much to say about this book (not counting the whole lot of nonsense I append to the end of this review). It’s a short read—charming, light. It promises the key to eloquence, but is probably better for a quick laugh. Nevertheless, I’ve been looking for a book to summarize some of the old techniques for turning a phrase, and Forsyth does an admirable job of it. So the ratio of payoff to pleasure is actually quite high.

(view spoiler)
Trevor
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, language
Witty, clever, fascinating, compulsive, delightful. That first sentence is an example of Scesis Onomaton and merely five of the words I use to describe myself – well, and this book too, obviously. To be honest, I’m not going to remember the names of all of the rules that are discussed here.

You could, if the mood took you, do exactly that and learn all of the Greek names for the rhetorical tricks discussed here, but I don’t think that is completely necessary. What this very short book does beaut
Caroline
Feb 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Trevor McCandless
Shelves: miscellaneous
This is one of those highly lauded books (with an average GR rating of 4.32 stars no less), which lay in my lap like a flabby hippo.

It was not my thing.

I read non-fiction. I like to LEARN. But this collection of rhetorical terms swept over me like high tide in the Bay of Fundy. Nothing stayed put, or nothing that I did not already know. Merism, polyptoton, aposiopesis, diacope, hendiadys, epizeuxis? My brain registered their meanings for the minute or so that I read the relevant pages - and the
Emma Sea
4.5, rounded up for the binding.

Informative and hilarious. Laughed out loud in public through many pages. Got asked by a creepy stranger what book was I reading, and got to say, "A primer on the classical forms of rhetoric." Stranger did not bother me again. Booyah!
Shira Glassman
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I am so in love with Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth that only a few chapters in, I added it to my paperback wishlist. You have to understand--me owning treeware means I know that I'll want to read and reread it several times. Otherwise, I check it out from the library so it doesn't take up space in my house and other people can enjoy it (or occasionally buy eBooks.)

I had no idea there were this many rhetorical tricks, just waiting to be appreciated in other people's writing, or waiting to
TS Chan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully charming, witty and illuminating on a topic which could've been dry and droll. Mark Forsyth's own brand of eloquence made this book immensely enjoyable. I especially loved how his references ranged from the classics to even modern pop songs.

I'll be reaching for this, time and again.
Lubinka Dimitrova
When you giggle uncontrollably while reading an introduction to the classical forms of rhetoric, generously sprinkled with the best quotes from Shakespeare, Churchill, Wilde and many other more or less known heroes of the good turn of phrase, then you known you've got the right book for you. Besides his witty and hilarious way of presenting his material, the author manages to illuminate why we are often deeply affected rather by the phrasing of an idea, than by its essence (Churchill's We Shall ...more
Brent
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent reference on the elegant turn of a phrase.

Many of the tricks used by great writers and orators were first discovered and documented by ancient Greek rhetoricians. The author goes through a generous collection of them by name, giving examples and theories as to why they work.

Plus its funny.
Paul
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2016
Have you always wanted to write like Shakespeare? Or is reaching literary immortality your thing? If you have nothing of any note to say, but still want to have maximum effect in your prose then you need to learn the finer arts of rhetoric. In this expose of the one liner, Mark Forsythe details the way to write that will give you much more style than you thought possible. Its origins are Greek, who formulated the concepts; these were built on by the Romans, before the baton was handed to the Eng ...more
L
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Who needs sense when you have alliteration?”

“So Shakespeare stole; but he did wonderful things with his plunder. He’s like somebody who nicks your old socks and then darns them.”

’there’s absolutely no point in historians getting indignant about language. It's never going to stop changing – they're trying to hold back the tide…’

The sheer witticism and timeless truism within Mark Forsyth’s writing, fashions a unique reading experience for a diverse readership. His edgy, original style cleve
Nigeyb
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase is entertaining, educational and erudite.

Bravo Mark Forsyth. I suspect I bought this as an Audible deal of the day. Whatever the origin story, there it was in my Audible library awaiting the right moment.

There's so much information in this book and it's all delivered with wit and panache. For example, did you know that multiple adjectives are always ranked accordingly: opinion, size, age, shape, colour, origin, material, purpose
ALLEN
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wondrous word wit Mark Forsyth, who gave us such books as THE HOROLOGICON and THE ETYMOLOGICON, outdid himself with THE ELEMENTS OF ELOQUENCE, that deals not with individual words but entire figures of speech. Its thirty-nine chapters include fairly common tropes like alliteration ("wondrous word wit"), but also intermediate-level goodies like metonymy and synechdoche, all the way up to high-level definitions like pleonasm ("the use of unneeded words") and tricolon, the linking of triples ("sun, ...more
Celeste
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Celeste by: TS Chan
Shelves: non-fiction
“The figures of rhetoric are the beauties of all the poems we have ever read. Without them we would be merely us: eating, sleeping, manufacturing and dying. With them everything can be glorious. For though we have nothing to say, we can at least say it well.”

I had no idea that there were so many different types of rhetorical phrases. Seriously, there are so many. I learned a lot from The Elements of Eloquence, but I had fun while doing it. Some of these terms weren’t unfamiliar (alliteration hyp
Brian Clegg
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed Mark Forsyth's fluffy but inspiring earlier books on words, notably The Etymologicon, and his new title The Elements of Eloquence is equally enjoyable (and anything but a hard read). But it is also a book that makes you stop in your tracks. Because this stuff really matters.

Forsyth has revealed a startling truth that should have been obvious - in all those hours spent in English lessons we aren't taught how to write well. Yet there is a way to do this that has been around sin
James Hartley
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a pithy, witty little book which benefits and suffers from its constricting format. While it sets itself up as a guidebook to "how to turn the perfect English phrase" it´s really an explanation of the different classical terms used in rhetoric. Some names, like hyperbole, are familiar, while most are not.
Forsythe´s strength is his sense of clarity in explaining and demonstrating use of the terms and also his sense of humour, which is lively and genuinely funny. The book suffers, though, fr
K.J. Charles
Very informative and extremely funny at points. It's basically an explanation of various rhetorical devices we all use in some ways, which used to be formalised and taught but no longer. Picked up a lot of interesting nuggets, and it's a very good way to make you consciously aware of what you're doing in writing and how effects are achieved. ...more
Cheryl
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how this often shows the boring way to write something next to the more memorable way. And the author uses a lot of the 'tricks'/'tools' in his exposition, just to show that you don't need to be Shakespeare or George Lucas to be able to write engagingly.

I'd like to be able to use this book in reverse. I'd like to be able to consider more carefully how authors work their magic in books that I consider well-written. I can see alliteration, because that's one of the elements of rhetoric we d
Sue Burke
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I’ve been writing professionally for 48 years, there’s always more to learn about writing. That’s why I read this book: to learn the “secrets of the perfect turn of phrase.”

Author Mark Forsyth opens the preface by saying, “Shakespeare was not a genius.” Instead, he says, Shakespeare learned how to write well, and we can see his growth in writing skills between his early and his later plays. In particular, Shakespeare learned to use figures of rhetoric. The Bard of Avon isn’t the only on
Amy Neftzger
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a writer, I’m interested in the technical information in the book - how some of the best authors in history utilized these building blocks called the figures of rhetoric in their craft. He doesn’t explain every figure in existence — just some of the ones more commonly used. What’s great about this book is how the author provides specific examples from classic literature.

Aside from the fascinating content, what makes this book unique is the engaging manner in which it’s written. Forsyth makes
Caz (littlebookowl)
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
THE SHORT
The Elements of Eloquence is a cleverly crafted book about the English language, that both amuses and enlightens. Forsyth's writing is witty and humorous, and I loved that he often implemented the language techniques he was describing and discussing. In addition to these aspects, creating such fluidity between the chapters makes this a really interesting read that many readers and writers could appreciate and learn from.

THE LONG
Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jfBF...
Olga Godim
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Marvelous! For a writer like me, without a formal writing education and largely self-taught, this book is a must. It talks about the rules of rhetoric – the rules for creating a memorable phrase. A writer must follow those rules, those rigid formulas, if she wants her writing to sound good, to invoke emotions, to inspire convictions. Those rules are called figures of rhetoric.
Forsyth explains the rules in simple words, not once resorting to the incomprehensible linguistic vernacular. Well, excep
Jan Priddy
I find I like it less and less the more I think about it. I will likely keep this book on my shelves because I tend to hoard books on writing, but I am not sure I can recommend it. Frequently, dear readers, Forsyth is wrong.

Forsyth borrows from others' research and then overstates with satire and sarcasm and perhaps people mistake that for wit, originality, and genuine scholarship. The Introduction is entertaining and very funny and I suspect that is all most reviewers have read. Forsyth contin
Tabatha (tab.talks.books)
BOOKSTAGRAM | BOOK BLOG | AMAZON

I listen to this via audiobook. This was such a great nonfiction book to listen to though it took me almost 2 1/2 months to finish it it was so worth it to listen to it in small doses. It’s awesome to learn how the English language came about and how William Shakespeare is like the GOAT. It was also nice to finally put a word to certain things that I would be saying like all words that start with the letter B has a word for it all words that rhyme have a certain w
Ellie
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The Elements of Eloquence; its very title an example of the first chapter’s rhetoric, alliteration. This charming little book from the man who brought you The Etymologicon and The Horologicon reveals the secrets of all great poets (and songwriters) with tongue firmly in cheek. Whilst we all learned about alliteration at school, the rest of rhetoric has been thrown out with the bathwater.

Before the Romantics came along, the figures of rhetoric were studied extensively and used by the likes of Sha
Lance Greenfield
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lance by: tony greenfield
My father bought me Mark Forsyth's valuable little book of thirty-nine rhetorical devices. I am sure that it has helped me with my writing style, even though I have not deliberately employed any of them.

It starts with a very familiar example: alliteration.

I adore alliteration, but it is possible to overdo it, and there is even a term for that appalling affliction.

The cleverest aspect of this book, in my humble opinion, is that each chapter flows naturally into the next. A chapter will typically
Richard Newton
Entertaining and informative. I doubt you will come away from this book fully understanding rhetoric, but it will make you much more aware of it - at least it has for me - and that is a good place to start.

If you don't write or want to make impressive speeches this may be if marginal interest, but many will find the authors writing style amusing, if occasionally a little smug.
Sebastien Castell
A fun and engaging book about rhetorical figures. There's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth takes the reader, one chapter at a time, through the individual techniques that deliver emotional power to language. Technically these are called rhetorical figures, and they include ones we're all familiar with, such as alliteration (the use of the same first letter or sound in multiple words in a sentence) to more obscure ones such as scesis onomaton (a senten
Penny
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
During the few days it took me to read this book the wonderful National Treasure Bruce Forsyth passed away. Now, one of his famous catch phrases was -
"Nice to see you, to see you nice"
Great example of an epanalepsis!
Which is, of course, a figure of speech defined by the repetition of the initial word (or words) of a clause or sentence at the end of that same clause or sentence.
And I only knew that because of this wonderful, funny, clever book.
Never thought I would laugh out loud reading about th
Aaron
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Highly recommend for anyone looking to write more powerfully.

There are so many things we do in English without really understanding what makes them work. Forsyth equips his reader with language for just that. "Eloquence" helped me see what elements I tend toward or away from, which ones I use imprecisely or not very well, as well as how to use them better.
Is this apropriate for non-native English speakers? 8 45 Oct 27, 2015 01:49PM

• Elements of Wit: Mastering the Art of Being Interesting
  • Picnic, Lightning
  • The Accidental Spy
  • Gravitas: Communicate with Confidence, Influence and Authority
  • The Secrets of Story: Innovative Tools for Perfecting Your Fiction and Captivating Readers
  • Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird
  • How to Write Best-Selling Fiction
  • Seven Worlds One Planet: Natural Wonders from Every Continent
  • A Pointless History of the World (Pointless Books Book 5)
  • Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate
  • The Rise of Victimhood Culture: Microaggressions, Safe Spaces, and the New Culture Wars
  • The Science of Storytelling
  • When the Wind Blows
  • Philosophy for Polar Explorers
  • It Was The Best Of Sentences, It Was The Worst Of Sentences: A Writer's Guide To Crafting Killer Sentences
  • English Grammar Boot Camp
  • Peas & Queues: The Minefield of Modern Manners
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
See top shelves…
Mark Forsyth is a writer, journalist and blogger. Every job he’s ever had, whether as a ghost-writer or proof-reader or copy-writer, has been to do with words. He started The Inky Fool blog in 2009 and now writes a post almost every day. The blog has received worldwide attention and enjoys an average of 4,000 hits per week.

Mr. Forsyth currently resides in London.