Start by marking “Diversify” as Want to Read:
Diversify

Diversify

Is it truly possible to live without prejudice?
And why should we want to?

Offering six stories, and six simple steps, Diversify explores the value we place on social packaging – how it shapes the way we see ourselves, determines who we become, and limits the opportunities available to us.

Most importantly, offers practical tools, empowering us to challenge those limitations,
Published August 24th 2017 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about Diversify, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diversify

Start your review of Diversify
Malcolm
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology, activism
There are few terms in contemporary politics that hide and evoke ways of making sense of our world and what that world should look like that ‘diversity’. In one sense, like ‘resilience’, it hides and justifies much of the outlook that prioritises individual action and responsibility for making our world a better place, while at the same time limiting structural change to tweaking at the margins of the conditions of living. In another sense, ‘diversity’ is also a fair description of the society ...more
Lisa Bentley
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Diversify by June Sarpong is the most important book that I have read this year. This is a pretty big claim. As a prolific reader, I have read lots of books but none of them resonated with me the way that Diversify has done.

Sarpong examines the diversity in culture and how we often see this as threatening rather than celebrating our differences. She offers practical advice to some of the biggest problems that actually seem so obvious that it is silly how none of it has been put into action
Mairi
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Somebody should rename this "How to Diversify your Dinner Party Conversation" * (Not my own words)

I'm no expert in the subject but from a writing point of view the topics felt weirdly mangled together. The examples jumped between UK and the USA but didn't feel natural in their comparison. There were some strong statements backed up with weak evidence ... And finally, a lot of the 'personal anecdotes' felt like name dropping and sadly made it feel even less relatable. Perhaps after all it's just
Greg Dearsly
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read, while it has a very UK/USA focus, the concepts and suggestions to embrace diversity and inclusion through the six degrees if integration would work anywhere in the world.
Michael
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Terrible. In every respect. I haven't come across diversity literature that attempted to cover all protected characteristics under diversity, and thought that this could form a complex, interesting and intertwined read forming a strong narrative around intersectionality. Suffice to say, if you've seen a few BBC documentaries and kept up with the news over the last few years, then there is nothing new to learn in this book.
In addition to the lack of research and information that went into the
Hannah Bisley
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
What an amazing book. This has really helped me to understand why our society is the way that it is. If you are new to diversity and activism this book makes a great starting point. If you feel well versed in these topics there are still plenty of things you can take away with you after reading this.

Everyone should read this.

I love June's writing style, informative and easy to understand without being patronising. She encourages and challenges the reader to discover and confront what their own
Victoria
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: activism
In 'Diversify', June Sarpong proposes a simple strategy to help build a more peaceful and prosperous society. She suggests that we all try engaging with our "Other" in a stride to be more welcoming to minorities and marginalized - or otherized - groups of people. With scientific facts and statistics alongside pop culture references and personal anecdotes, Sarpong explains how diversifying personal and corporate spheres can help you or your company to grow and reap the benefits as one.
I consider
Evelyn
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent book for anyone who is studying or interested in equality and diversity. Sarpong tackles this difficult and expansive subject by breaking it down into manageable chapters which focus on each group that is typically excluded from society and examines how harmful this is for civilisation as a whole. Gender, race, age, sexual orientation, disability and class are all looked at in detail.

Perhaps more importantly for those who may simply not value the human costs and problems arising
Celeste Mergens
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and easy to read, this book is about what can be done to shift racial inequities... and the power of the change that would occur if we do. No shaming and blaming, just the facts about the effects of historic racial inequity, how to understand the historical context, why it matters, and best of all some suggestions for what we can personally do. It is an important resource that offers context and content with exemplary solutions for a very timely issue. The world would be a better ...more
Mark Woollacott
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book. It is educational, honest, and at times philosophical. It is a book that brings clarity, hope, inspiration and the potential for good outcomes to the reader. The author writes with verve and conviction, all of which comes from personal experiences, astute perceptions, humility and compassion – the only place where truth and wisdom can ever hope to arise. I highly recommend this book.
Zoe (readabilitea)
This book covers so much, but in such a way that it doesn't feel like it glosses over anything, and reads very well for something so chock-full of facts! Whilst some of the conversations surrounding certain Others has moved on slightly (I'm thinking primarily of gender + sexuality), I was incredibly impressed with the care and passion June Sarpong pours into each section, and particularly about how she provides actual actions you can take to improve your understanding of each Other.
Fiona
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Social integration needs to be tackled by our institutions with the same vigour that segregation and racism were in the latter decades of the 20th century." This book, while not saying anything I didn't already know, puts forward an excellent argument for why a more diverse and inclusive society will benefit us all.
A book everyone should read if even just for the FAQ chapter.
Hannah
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to ride and digest a very important issue. I really liked the way June Sarpong divided up the demographics rather than in the typical boxes. It allowed for the spectrum within each category which I think the discussion of diversity truly needs. I didn't agree with all of her points but I did appreciate the entire book.
Gem ~ Bee
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow
Chris Sharpe
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prone to long-windedness, and the data are very poorly presented. But otherwise an excellent message forcefully made, covering many arguments and many aspects of human diversity.
Martin
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Read this book!
Kate
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, audiobooks
3.5 stars nearly 4 stars. Through statistical research and personal stories June Sarpong takes 6 areas where prejudice exists to discuss & dismantle (male, female, class, disability, gender orientation, ageism) and provides 6 key action points. If nothing else this book gives food-for-thought and a chance for reflection. The sections which related more directly to her experiences as a woman, person of colour, having experienced disability were the parts I found most interesting. Her ...more
Kingsley Oteng
Paul
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Well-intentioned book encouraging us all to broaden our circle and promote diversity, but at the end of the day it is rather unimaginative, and presents no evidence based positive actions. Disappointingly anodyne. Not so much a call to arms, as a call to have dinner parties.
Elena Gc
Nov 22, 2019
Rupert Dannreuther
Feb 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Diversify by June Sarpong page count 2 30 Aug 31, 2018 02:08AM

• Brit(ish): On Race, Identity and Belonging
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
  • The Cockroach
  • Poverty Safari
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • Truth to Power: 7 Ways to Call Time on B.S.
“People with mental and physical disabilities have been condemned, alienated, even feared, perhaps more than any other group throughout history – their disability explained away, overtly or subconsciously, as a punishment from God, inferior genetics, bad karma, dishonour on the family, or simply being backwards. Their options have been severely limited and they’ve had to live and work in conditions that could accommodate their disability – unless of course their disability could be used as a reason to bar them from employment in the first place.” 0 likes