Start by marking “Orphan Train” as Want to Read:
Orphan Train

Orphan Train

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Lucy, Harold, and David have recently become orphans and have no family left, no one to take care of them. They are living on the streets, stealing what they need to survive, like thousands of other unfortunate kids in the early 1900s.

Then they get lucky. Lucy and her little brothers are welcomed into an orphanage where they get clean clothes and warm meals. But this orp
Published May 12th 2003 by Putnam Juvenile (first published May 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Orphan Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orphan Train

NS- Sarah
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is one of many stories about the many children who were orphaned between the 1850's and the 1930's due to issues of overcrowding, illnesses, and poverty. At first I didn't like the book because I thought it didn't explain why the children were sent away on the orphan train. After reading it a second time I understood it better because I was able to pay attention to the details. The book is written in rhyme, almost like a poem, so it is easy to read it too quickly and lose some of the i ...more
 Marla
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Picture book about orphan siblings who are sent by train to the Midwest when their orphanage is over crowded. Sad stuff, but would be good for a history lesson supplement for pre-school or kindergarten.
White House Public Library
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautiful illustrations bring this story of three siblings who wind up on the Orphan Train in the early 1900s to life. With short, rhyming lines, readers can experience what it was like to grow up in the United States during this time period. The pictures especially help to portray the hard times that Lucy, Harold, and David had to go through. The author includes an author's note at the beginning of the story explaining Orphan Trains and what life was like once an orphan was adopted. While she d ...more
Library Lady Terri
Story told in verse of Lucy and her brothers becoming orphans, taken in by the orphanage, and then finally sent west on the Orphan Trains. Enough information given for children to understand the idea of Orphan Trains but not so much information as to overwhelm the reader. There is a forward that discuss the Orphan Train movement and the less than ideal situations that some children found themselves in as a result.
The illustrations, doing in acrylics, provide so much more detail if when you take
Rachel Smith
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-5-books
Told from a charming perspective without downplaying the reality of this occurrence in history, this is a quality picture book. I would be careful about sharing this story with foster kids or adoptees. It would be important to structure the discussion following reading this book to note the similarities and differences from a students’ situation and theirs.
Rosebud
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I mistakenly requested this book from the library to read for my book club. When it arrived, I saw it was a picture book. I checked and saw that I had picked the wrong book! I decided to read this one anyway, and discovered that it is loosely about a similar topic, that of children who were sent to the Midwest and adopted along the way since they had no one to take care of them. I'm not used to reading children's books, but this one was disturbing in that it seemed it could disturb children with ...more
Salsabrarian
Sparse rhyming verse ("Months of waiting, Orphans clean. Benches crowded. Scrunched between.") relates the story of three children orphaned during a typhoid epidemic. David, Harold, and Lucy run the streets stealing food and sleeping in doorways until they are taken in to an orphanage. Later they journey with other orphans on the Orphan Train, paraded in towns along the way to be picked for adoption. Harold and Lucy are reunited at story's end but David's whereabouts are still unknown. Ends hope ...more
Cat
Mar 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This is the story of orphans removed from the east coast after an outbreak of illness kills their parents. They are taken on a train to the midwest to live with farmers and country folk, many taken in only to work. Siblings were parted, never to see each other again. It is written in poetry form. The story is gripping and the pictures are beautiful. The illustrator is Ken Stark. This book is based on true events.
Laurie
This book uses as few words as possible to get the point across, yet you still feel all the emotions meant to be relayed. This will make a great teaching point for a writing lesson someday.
Kathryn
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A story in verse with colorful illustrations. This tells the story of what was done with thousands of children between 1854 and 1929.
Janas
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful picture book telling an important story.
SKB
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Dudes, I totally cried when I read this book to my nieces. Beautifully illustrated too. But seriously, it will choke you up.
Michelle Farley

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99