Start by marking “Go Away, Dog” as Want to Read:
Go Away, Dog

Go Away, Dog

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Dog be gone!

The big old dog wants to play. Can the little boy make him go away?
Published February 18th 2003 by HarperCollins (first published January 28th 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Go Away, Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Away, Dog

Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Most people think of the sixties as nothing but a solid decade of peace and love, peace and love. Nothing but a lovefest.

Unsurprisingly, there were some discordant voices to come out of that decade. History will reflect on two of the presumably darkest voices, Black Sabbath and Go Away, Dog.

This book tales the tale of a sociopath influenced by a dog. But unlike David Berkowitz, the influence ends up being positive. (view spoiler)
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230-a
I think this book is too easy for elementary student. This book might be suitable book for 5 or 6 years old kids. The good thing of this book is that kids can observe how the thing can changed from hatred to love. After reading this book, we can discuss about the same topic. If kids have the same experience that he or she hated something but as time goes by, and as kids spend time with them they started to like the things.
James Jones
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The boy didn't like the dog in the beginning and he said "Go Away you bad old dog". The dog brought a stick to the boy and he said "I don't want that stick, don't give it to me!" And then he did give it to him and the boy said "Alright, if I throw this stick will you go away?" And so the boy got the stick and throw it and the dog went and got it. After the second time the dog brought it back he said "go away" and he said "you don't have a home? Well that's too bad." He walked half way home and t ...more
Rosa Cline
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
In this book a little boy has a strange dog come to him, he doesn't want anything to do with him. Tells him he doesn't like dogs and for him to go away. But the dog chases the stick the little boy throws and brings it back the boy. The dog wants to play. And eventually the little boy starts to like the dog and decides to keep him.

The text is simple reading and has repetitive words so once your beginning reader learns them they can be proud of themselves as they read them farther in the story.
Shelby Dains
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This would be a good book for a a first or second grader to read. It has very great sized words that I thing are awesome for students to be. An,e to follow along but still has pictures to keep them enticed in reading the book. I think it would be good for this age group because it has pretty simple sentences with words that could easily be sounded out if students didn't know the words they were reading. The book also has very good punctuation marks so it could show lots of prominent sentences. N ...more
Alexander The Triumphant
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was very fun. Dog was coming to the little boy. Then he had to go home. And then he said don't jump on me, don't lick my hand. And the little boy said, "Let's run!" When they were running a bunny was running. And then the dog was rolling. And then the boy threw the stick and the dog caught it. - by Alex
Dr. A.
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, simple story about a boy and a dog he wants to, well, go away.
This book includes so many different lessons: conquering fear, understanding, compassion, friendship, love, and perhaps even more. A great book for a young child experiencing a fear of dogs. Also a great book to help a family preparing to welcome a puppy into their home.
A story well done.
Rochelle Sondae
May 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I did a lot of editing while reading aloud this "My first shared reading" title. Mainly because I was reading it to a 3 year old and I try to avoid negative words and wanted to add "please" and "thank you" whenenver it was appropriate to keep up with the manners we've been trying to teach him. If he were reading it I think it's pretty good as the text is simple and repetitive.
Dalene Arizmendi
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Go Away, Dog is a lovely story about a boy overcoming his fear about dogs. This book is great for emergent readers. The main theme of this book is openness to new things, or relationships (dog). I rate this book 3/5 because it's a nice book with a good message, but it needed to state why dogs do the things they do, and different ways a dog can contribute to the little boy's life.
Mailee Pyper
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a book Spencer and I read together on one of our first dates. We sat in Barnes and Noble and laughed about the boy who tried to get the dog to go away by throwing sticks...We still to this day quote "if I throw this stick will you go away?" at each other all the time.
Books Ring Mah Bell
Jun 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: 3 year old dog lovers
Shelves: kidsbooks
Only one star because if I have to read this again to my son I am taking a hostage. (I hid it up on the closet shelf)

Sam gives it 5 stars because "dat's cool. the boy takes the doggie home and now dey are friens."

No spoiler alert. get over it.

Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read aloud to K5 and talked about how may be scared of school and meeting new kids, just like the boy was scared of dogs, but then you get to know them.Simplistic language and large, bright pictures make this a favorite of the younger set.
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. It was super awesome and great. I liked when the dog loved him. It was happy, happy because it was like the Skip movie. It was almost like this book. The end.
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
this book kinda started off mean. telling the poor dog to go away. eventually the boy and dog liked each other. it's a good book for the beginner reader.
Brendan Howard
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-by-zahara
Good lesson. A little long for Zahara at the end of the night for reading, but still good.
Katelyn Warner
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
* Fiction
* About a boy who doesn’t like dogs
* Kids liked it because the little boy was mean to the dog
* Might be good in a classroom library
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Good book for young children just learning to read. Simple words and large text.
Stephanie Moran
This was a nice book for early readers. It is about a boy who meets a dog and tells the dog he doesn't like him. The dog ends up getting the boy to play with him and changes his mind.
Meg McGregor
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Sure to delight the heart of every dog-lover, this book reaches out and grabs you. You are rooting for the dog from the first page and laughing in delight at the last page!
Elizabeth S
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-beginner
2 1/2 stars. The story is fairly cute, but the writing feels dumbed down. Think, "See Jane run. Run, Jane, run!" Maybe it would have seemed better if my child were trying to read it.
Don Gubler
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun book.
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great little story and at a perfect reading level for my 6 year old.
My mom and I both loved this book when I was little. But not the one pictured here, the edition illustrated by Crosby Bonsall. It was... perfect.
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book

A dog find a boy that doesn't like dogs at all. The boy keeps telling the dog to go away, but ends up liking the dog and taking him home with him.
My two year old loved this book.
Felicity The Magnificent
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My name is Felicity and I was 3 years old when I finished this book. This book was about dogs. In the beginning the boy didn't like the dog. In the end he liked him.
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
  • Mac and Cheese
  • I Like Bugs
  • Disney's Finding Nemo: Just Keep Swimming
  • Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)