Start by marking “JavaScript For Web Designers (A Book Apart #20)” as Want to Read:
JavaScript For Web Designers (A Book Apart #20)

JavaScript For Web Designers

(A Book Apart #20)

If staring down JavaScript leaves you unsteady, take heart. Mat Marquis is at your side, offering a detailed yet approachable tour around this essential language. Make your way through plenty of practical examples, as you pick up syntax rules, the fundamentals of scripting, and how to handle data types and loops. You’ll emerge clear-eyed and confident—and ready to get to w ...more
Published September 28th 2016 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript For Web Designers, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Amy
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: web designers
A great start for beginners. Though I already understand the concept of data types, conditionals, and loops, I was comforted to know that this was coming from a designer's perspective, rather than a programmer's who compared JavaScript to C or Java. In particular, Chapter 5 was the most useful to me in that it offered a common example of using JavaScript within a web document to toggle visibility of text via "Read More". Of course, now I've read HTML 5.1 offers this feature now.. but I still app ...more
Garrett Coakley
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely essential read for any designer or web developer who has struggled with the often obtuse world of JavaScript. I've spent many years hacking on other peoples code, but this book explained some fundamentals that had always baffled me. Mat's writing is approachable and clear.
Candi
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if it's quite fair for me to review this book but I will anyways. I'm a front end developer by day but most of my time is spent within the HTML & CSS. I've dabbled with jQuery here and there so I haven't really been heavy into JavaScript.

Some parts of this book I was already familiar with. Basic parts like functions and declaring variables I knew. But Mat did go over other things I've never heard of like prototype or hasOwnProperty. Mostly because I've never had to use them.

Th
Patty
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not a web designer (...yet?), but this book was super helpful to me as I learn about JavaScript. I read it while completing an online JavaScript curriculum and attending an in-person JavaScript for Beginners class, and it helped immensely as the concepts were introduced. I know I'll be returning to this book again and again!
Stringy
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for beginners who have no experience with other programming languages. Others might find it basic, but it isn't written for everyone :)
Juan
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to JavaScript. Well written and easy to follow. Has me wanting to read more JavaScript books now.
Eystein
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
This is the first book on JavaScript that I've actually finished, in under a week no less. I found all the concept very well explained, it was easy to follow along, and I learned a lot of new, sometimes quite basic, things that I wasn't aware of. I'll very likely be using this a reference in the future when I'm wondering about things js. Highly recommended if you're interested in learning JavaScript.
Melanie Richards
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: code, 2017
My rating is very subjective, based on my skill level and what I was looking for.
J
Mils Yobtaf
Oct 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers