Start by marking “Economics” as Want to Read:
Economics

Economics

Focuses on the principles of economics courses.
Published July 27th 2004 by Irwin/McGraw-Hill (first published 1948)

Start your review of Economics
Roy Lotz
Wishful thinking is bad thinking and leads to little wish fulfillment.

I’ve long cherished the secret dream of becoming some sort of modern Renaissance man. My mind would rove over every academic subject, thereby giving me a complete picture of the current state of knowledge in every domain. How to do this? I could think of only one obvious way: to read textbooks in every discipline. But over time, my enthusiasm for this project cooled; and that is mainly because I realized it was impossible.
Annelise Lestrange
This book always makes me believe I'm an economist. I love it.
Catarina
A couple years ago I started reading this book. Soon I realized it wasn't a read it and get over with it book. For me it's a reference book. Sometimes I read the sections related to what I'm studying at the moment or something I'm interested in having more knowledge.
I'm going to start taking a degree in Economics in October and I believe it'll be of even more use then.
Javohir Mominov
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is very interesting book and I like it
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
I took this in my foray back to school after dropping out in the 1980s. I didn't have a major at the time so I was taking random classes. So I eventually wound up a physics major but not before sampling a host of other disciplines. I took Macro in the Spring Semester of 1993 and Micro in the Fall of 1993 I guess I took them in reverse order. Samuelson I would later learn in Macro emphasized Keynes but covered the Neoclassical school as well. This seems to be the spectrum of economics in academia ...more
Snehal Bhagat
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If ever there was a textbook and page-turner rolled in one, this is it. That this was a labor of love is readily apparent to anyone who has had opportunity to study it; in the version I used, Bob Dylan was quoted:

"Come senators, congressmen/Please heed the call...For the times they are a-changin'."

Indeed they are, and if the G in Y = C + I + G + X has stepped up virtually everywhere of late, it is in no small measure due to this book.

Samuelson died this week; his influence will doubtless live
Matthias
The Samuelson-Nordhaus, first published in 1948, is the first formal, complete, successful synthesis of the entire discipline of Economics as an actual science. It has been updated to new editions ever since, and, to date, is the best-selling economics textbook of all time.
Its influence and importance are gigantic, to the point that 5 stars is really the only possible rating one can give to it.
Sweetee Sarah
Hm, Doing my Homework in Economics, Instead of Going to the library, Ill just read it here..
Ryan Vamondo
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It gave me a comprehensive picture about the economics system.
It is a very good start to study economics.
ZzitaI
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Maybe it's because I'm not a economic major, Economics seems to be either lack of depth or always talking about the same concept over and over again. There are some ideas explained amazingly well, like why monopoly leads to social resources distributed inefficiently. However, the author prefers to explain concepts qualitatively rather than mathematically. For example, to explain why price is higher than marginal cost in the case of monopoly, even Wikipedia has a better mathematical explanation ( ...more
Karan Taneja
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Course oriented. Not very insightful to say but gives all the knowledge of basic concepts.
Rhythima
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
How can one know Adam Smith economics and the (brutal) capitalism without this?
Bootaan Bootaan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
best book in basics of economics
Sajid Rehman
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice book
David Flandro
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love you, Paul Samuelson, even though you're wrong ;-)
Niten
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great
Nikos Bar
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The perfect textbook to the introduction of Economics
Qiuyi Chen
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quite comprehensive introduction. Some later chapters are not well organized though.
DoctorM
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
This was the textbook I had in Econ 101--- but who didn't? It was the classic, standard text out there for a generation or two. The old "Official Preppy Handbook" even listed it was one of the books post-college preppies always seem to have on their shelves. It's only been in the last year or so that I've realised--- going back to re-read economics after the global economic meltdown ---how well-written and clearly-reasoned Samuelson is. Consensus neo-Keynesian, yes. If you're a Marxist or a Frie ...more
Bhakta Kishor
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: study
Economics focuses on the behaviour and interactions of economic agents and how economies work. Microeconomics analyzes basic elements in the economy, including individual agents and markets, their interactions, and the outcomes of interactions. Individual agents may include, for example, households, firms, buyers, and sellers. Macroeconomics analyses the entire economy (meaning aggregated production, consumption, savings, and investment) and issues affecting it, including unemployment of resourc ...more
Jey
Jun 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: GWU
When I first started reading Economics, I didn't want to like it. After all, it is a text book. However, once I got further into it, I found the writing reasonably enjoyable, the style simple yet direct, and the content thorough.

My favorite part of the book was in Chapter 26. The author spent some time describing pricing systems in a way that it was very understandable and non-biased.
Fouad Jaber
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
starting my first year as an aspiring economist i was shocked by the apathy of teachers and students in Arabian colleges, so i decided to pursue it on my own. this book took some time but proved essential for grasping the basics of modern economics. definitely a gospel for economy students everywhere.
Sunil
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a revision of economics concepts and reached out to one of the most respected texts on the subject ever written. Professors Samuelson and Nordhaus wrote a book that is still very enjoyable and understandable. I guess some people may have gone for a more recent text, but I think the book is still a very relevant overview of the subject.
Qasim Zafar
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
As someone who favors the Austrian school of economics, this book was a storehouse of information on the sort of opinions... It was fun going through this book and seeing the technical aspects of the arguments of the 'other side.' If I was to rate this as an economic text, then I would give it a much lower rating.
Jimyip
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is no wonder that this book has been reprinted over and over (of course with improvement and update on data). It is quite comprehensive on both micro and macro parts, along with Samuelson's own input of thoughts and clever comments
Kyrsten ^.^
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
This is our book for eco. studies in MA course. The writing style is good and the examples are clear. Easy to learn but there is too much extra information so you have to fish out the important staff.
Michelle
haha, added this one on for fun.
Dewey Norton
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
6th edition, no better introduction to economic reasoning, no better place to study it than Wharton. I have been applying the principles ever since.
Fran
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economic-theory
Note to self: Main text for Econ 11: Introductory Economics under Prof. Maria Socorro Gochoco-Bautista (Columbia) of the UP School of Economics, First Semester 1995-96
Gale
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Along with my professor, Winnie Monsod, I survived Economics through Samuelson. Thorough and very detailed.
elasticity 1 6 Apr 02, 2015 09:23AM
consumption and investment 3 11 Mar 02, 2013 02:26AM

• Capitalism and Freedom
  • International Economics: Theory and Policy
  • The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time
  • Principles Of Corporate Finance
  • Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy
  • Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest & Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
  • The Theory of the Leisure Class
  • Marketing Management
  • A Little History of Economics
  • Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa
  • 50 Psychology Classics: Who We Are, How We Think, What We Do: Insight and Inspiration from 50 Key Books
  • Contract Paper II
  • Capital in the Twenty-First Century
  • Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why
  • Understanding Human Nature
  • The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World
  • Good Economics for Hard Times: Better Answers to Our Biggest Problems
Paul Anthony Samuelson (May 15, 1915 – December 13, 2009) was an American economist. The first American to win the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, the Swedish Royal Academies stated, when awarding the prize in 1970, that he "has done more than any other contemporary economist to raise the level of scientific analysis in economic theory". Economic historian Randall E. Parker has called h ...more

News & Interviews

“What good does it do a black youth to know that an employer must pay him $2 an hour if the fact that he must be paid that amount is what keeps him from getting a job?” 4 likes