Start by marking “Before I Wake” as Want to Read:
Before I Wake

Before I Wake

The sheriff of Justice, Illinois, is hunting a killer. Women visiting town are being murdered, tourists in nice hotels, money still in their billfolds, jewelry still on the dresser. Quiet kills-they go to sleep and never awaken. The sheriff is not pleased to find the new detective in town, Rae Gabriella, working the case on behalf of one of the families. She's staying in t ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Before I Wake, please sign up.
Lisa Collins I’m missing it too. Let me know if you find the missing answers

Sep 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
I'm embarrassed to even admit that I read this book. I've liked Dee Henderson's books in the past, saw this one at the library, decided my tired brain needed a break and so checked it out. Thank goodness I didn't spend any money on it. I'm just going to tell you how it ends - IT DOESN'T. You don't find out who the murderer is and you don't find out which guy the girl is going to choose. So why did I waste my time reading over 300 pages of this? Good question. Don't waste your time on it too.
Caroline
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I do enjoy Dee Henderson's books but this one left me wanting... a lot more! The main plot was left unresolved and I could not really appreciate the main character, Rae. She left me hoping some new girl would move into town for Nathan to become interested in. Bruce just seemed rather wistful that he had let Rae go eleven years ago, but couldn't commit to reopening their relationship. She seemed to play both men for attention/affection. Not a great heroine. I was bothered by the dangling ending, ...more
Sara
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Though I liked this book, it wasn't the best Dee Henderson novel that I've read. I liked the plot and overall found it to be suspenseful and detailed. As with other reviews though, I felt the conclusion was a little "open-ended." It's definitely set up for a sequel; however, Dee hasn't published a book in about 4 years...so here's hoping one is in the works.

The romance aspect of the story is lacking a bit and I found that very un-Henderson like. Rae's former boyfriend and new business parter, Br
Sally
Jan 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
How dare she do that?! I really feel that when you put the time in to read 300+ pages there should be a beginning, a middle and an end. This book had no closure, and I mean no closure. When I read a murder mystery, I think it makes sense to tell "whodunit" at the end. The characters were flat and stereotypical. I was supposed to think the main character, the woman (it's telling that I can't even remember her name)was so exceptional that two men would fall all over her. I didn't get that. She was ...more
Cathe Swanson
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was so disappointing. The heroine was so boring that I'm surprised that either guy liked her, but they did, and it didn't seem to interest or bother her that she was stringing them both along. For some reason, Bruce seemed too old to be a love interest for her, so I fully expected her to develop a romance with the local man. As other reviewers have noted, there was no ending. Not even a little wrap-up that ended any of the mysteries. It doesn't need a sequel; it needs three more chapters.
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Ok, so normally I am a HUGE fan of Dee Henderson, but this book was the most confusing introduction to a new series that I have ever read. I was THREE HOURS into the audiobook before I knew whether or not the Luke Granger or Sam Chapell referred to in The Witness were the same characters here. Actually, I'm still not sure about those since they mention another town rather than Silverton. Is Gage the same reporter from the O'Malley series? Who knows? Plus, the main character's name is Rae. Now, I ...more
Karijean31
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
It kept my attention but it was disappointing in that Rae has a friend relationship with two guys and you know she's interested in both and they are both interested in her but there are no sparks and the story doesn't take the relationships anywhere. They are just all friends, no jealousy just solving the mystery together. Plus the book ends very abruptly and the bad guys escape and never get caught. I was looking for the sequel and there wasn't one.
Rebecca
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Second time I've read this book, but I forgot I didn't want to read it again :)
It was not up to par with the O'Malley series, a bit slower at times.
It ended with the bad guys not caught, the good guys up in the air about their futures...and I need things wrapped up nice and neatly to give a book more stars. It needed the sequel (which I would totally read...if she had written it).
Rumor has it that she had issues with her publisher and was prevented from publishing the sequel...
Babetta
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've enjoyed this author before. I enjoyed this book overall, until it failed to reach any conclusions. That made me feel like I wasted my time. Others mentioned a set-up for a sequel, a sequel that I can't seem to locate. Without conclusions, this book failed to deliver.
Bailey Marissa
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2k17, adult
(3.2)

This book started out great but then just...fizzled. All the characters were well written and likable, but the plot was a different story.

There's basically no climax to this story. I have an idea what is supposed to be the climax, but it feels like it's just something to make the climax worthwhile. It's not very good. (view spoiler)

There's also the Obligatory Christian Discussion scene, and it's a little weird.

The one re
Olivia
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I was warned that a certain thing at the end was rather frustrating, but although my rating is low it isn't because of that. There was nothing wrong, wrong, and some it might be more my personal preference....

What I liked:

-Mystery's ARE fascinating. And this one was at times :)
-I did rather like Bruce and Nate and their care for Rae (LOVE that name :)).
-I liked how little of romance there was. I mean...and this is a shock, I could have actually used some more :D

What I didn't like:
Kame
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I love Irene Hannon's work and when you read the back of one of her thriller books it says if you like Dee Henderson you will like Irene Hannon - so I did some reverse logic.

If you read some of the reviews here on GoodReads there are alot of them complaining this book did not END. I maintain everything was wrapped up in a way that allows for a sequel if written or clean enough it can stand on its own. Please don't let it deter you - give it a try.

Rae is a newly retired
Jeanne
The story was pretty interesting. Rae's quit the FBI after an undercover case went very badly. She's returning home to work with a friend and former cop, Bruce, in his private investigation business in the town of Justice. The sheriff, Nathan Justice, is having a bad few weeks. There's a strike going on at one of the bigger companies in town. Things are going from bad to worse as the two sides can't come to terms. And three women are found dead in their beds. Rae and Bruce help out as Nathan str ...more
Mamie
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really and truly was enjoying this book, even though it felt like it was dragging a bit. I patiently read on, reading though the second half in about 12 hours in my eagerness to see how Dee Henderson wrapped up the plot lines of the characters I'd come to care about. Imagine my dismay and horror when she neither cleared up "whodunit" (even though she'd continuously set people up) and even worse, never told us or even really suggested which guy the girl ends up with. I felt extremely dissatisfi ...more
Melissa
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Rae Gabriella leaves the FBI after her last undercover investigation goes wrong and agrees to work with her ex-boyfriend, Bruce, in his private investigater's office in the small town of Justice. Once there she meets Sherriff Nathan Justice and the story goes from there...

I didn't quite know what to make of this story, Rae seems to be building a romantic relationship with both Nathan and Bruce while getting involved in everything that is going on with the police department.

Both Bruce and Nathan
Teri
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I have read a Dee Henderson book. As I remembered, she is a great author at keeping things suspenseful. In the town of Justice, the tile plant is about to close down and the workers are striking which is causing problems for the sheriff, Luke. Then women start dying of natural causes, but is it really natural causes when three women die in such a small town. Is it in any way related to the tile plant? Private investigators Bruce and Rae help Luke try to figure it all ...more
Victoria
The plot intrigued me when I read the back of the book. Rae gets out of the FBI. Her ex talks her into working with him as a PI in a small town where her first case turns into something big when a couple of women die in their sleep.

But overall I couldn't get into the book it took me over a week to motivate myself to read it. It was very slow paced and lacked a highlight where they seemed to bring the case together. I don't know if this is suppose to have a sequel but overall I was a bit disappo
Pauline
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
As are all Dee Henderson's books, this one was well written, interesting, and full of action. She is such a good writer. I enjoyed reading the story of this female cop turned investigator. Dee told me it was written as the start of a series. That seems evident and I hope she continues the series. It left me with many more questions than I like to have at the end of a book--like: who really is behind the crimes? which guy will the protagonist choose or will she settle with neither one? and why do ...more
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: book-collector
Includes excerpts from: Danger in the shadows and The negotiator.\n\nAnother disappointment from a stand alone Henderson novel. Why couldn't she have continued writing like she did with the O'Malley series? Now that was fabulous.\nGranted, this story was MUCH more engaging than her other stand alones. However, it ended with no clear conclusion and lots of loose ends. Granted, it lends itself to a sequel (kind of) but will the second book come?
Susan
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Becky... don't read this book!!! This could've been a better book and likely would've got 4 stars if it actually ended well! I was reading along, waiting to find out who all the bad guys were... and it ended! Just like that, not even a to be continued - or a first chapter to the next book - just a really lame end spot! Can't belive I wasted my time on this one!
Andrea
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Two stars for this book might be generous. The story DOES NOT END! I was enjoying it (except some of the details were a bit gruesome). The suspense was keeping me on my toes. And then it ended and you never found out "who done it".

If there is a sequel, I'd give it a higher rating. However, I haven't found anything about one.
Jenni
Nov 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed in this one. The story line had so much potential, but it just never came together properly. The biggest disappointment was the end - it just appeared out of nowhere and left you hanging.
AlegnaB †
I enjoyed this, even though it wasn't very suspenseful. Since I rarely read any reviews of a book if I'm familiar with other works by the author, I didn't realize that the ending would leave us hanging. It did have some resolution but not enough to satisfy. I wish a sequel had been published.
Shauna
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
What is up with that ending? Nothing gets resolved in all those pages?! Ugh! I really like her books but this was a bit disappointing. Is there going to be more? This was printed 5 years ago, but I couldn't find a sequel...
Stephanie Temple
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm -- *If* there is going to be a sequel, I really liked it. *If* there is not -- I'm fairly ticked off -- lol.
Olivia
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was an okay read, but it didn't live up to the edge-of-your-seat suspense I am used to from this author.
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Dee Henderson's books, and this one is no exception.
Heather Harden
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
The book lost a star because it desperately needs a sequel!
Slhanley
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
The characters were very real, as were their reactions and interplay. I give her five stars for that. The story itself was absorbing. But the end left you hanging on several points.

*****SPOILER ALERT*****
Who is the cook? She gives you one hint, and only one character mentions possibly moving halfway through the story. But he is only in 3 pages of the book - not enough to judge if he has the personality to be the bad guy.
The whole story points to the pharmacist. But it wasn't his writing in the e
TheModestMillennial
Okay, where do you begin in a book that doesn't end? Bad guy? who knows? Love interest? take a wild guess. You'll never know if you figured it out.

The technical writing is good: fluid conversation, great characters, perfect setting, excellent set-up, but the book leaves you wondering where the final chapter is. A certain amount of open-ended writing can leave you with wonderful possibilities with a strongly suggested path to follow, but this is so wide open it leaves you spinning in circles, fr

• Web of Lies (Hidden Faces, #4)
  • An Eye for an Eye (Heroes of Quantico, #2)
  • Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4)
  • Fire Dancer
  • The Edge of Recall
  • Double Trouble (PJ Sugar, #2)
  • Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty, #2)

Dee Henderson is the author of 24 novels, including Immortality, An Unfinished Death, Taken, Unspoken and the acclaimed O’MALLEY series. Several titles have appeared on the USA Today Bestseller list; Full Disclosure has also appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list. Her books have won or been nominated for
“They talked in the shorthand of old friends and shared memories.” 17 likes
“Lord, You made us and gave us breath. May we do justice, love and mercy, and walk honorably before you this day. By the precious name of Jesus, I ask for your help to do this. Amen.” 4 likes