Start by marking “Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
Collected Poems

Collected Poems

Librarian note: pages were hand counted from table of contents to last poem.

This selection from Cummings' first six books of poetry - Tulips and Chimneys (1923), XLI (1925), & (And) (1925), Is 5 (1926), W (Viva) (1931), No Thanks (1935) - also contains some additional poems and an introduction.

Later volumes by Cummings include: 50 Poems (1940); 1 X 1 (1941); Poems: 192
Published June 1st 1938 by Harcourt, Brace, & World, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Poems

Sylvester
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
"this is the passing of all shining things" e.e. cummings

There's no one like Cummings. He's the poet of spring, innocence,
and death. His poetry is visual, grammatical, and sensual. Not all his poems are clear, but they are always fascinating. I recommend him to everyone. At his best, he's unbeatable. Read "may my heart always be open", or "This is the garden", or "love is a place", and see if you don't feel the same way I do.
David
The most comprehensible part of this collection of poems was cummings' introduction. He exuded passion discussing the boring mainstream of "mostpeople" and contrasted himself and his readers as curious, deep, and emotional people. This introduction was the highlight of the collection because it tempered his freewheeling style with an essay's structure.

Many of the other poems were difficult to decode. He writes so loosely, creating new words, peppering parentheses throughout his prose, and splic
Beth
Apr 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Shelves: poetry
e e is sublime & entirely unique. i wrote in small case letters for a while in college after first reading him.
Angela
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just might be my all time favorite poet. This is all.
Michael P.
I loved a very few of the 22 new poems added to this collection. Most of the rest are cummings typical b.s. "Look at me, I can break up words." Feh.
Hoppie
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the introduction is one of my favorite pieces of writing. the poems are devastating.
David
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pomez
I liked cummings first because he eschewed capital letters.

He's still fun.
Johannah H
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmmm... it’s hard to explain e e cummings. He is a man of too many spaces, periods, semi colons and smashed words. He enjoys writing about death, rain, small hands, mice, crumbs and too many women. While I did find some poems and phrases enjoyable, I could have spent my time reading a better book instead. Unless you are an English major or e e cummings devotee, stay away from this book and you will definitely thank me in the end.
Jaime Contreras
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am a closet poetry fan and E.E. Cummings is one of my favorite poets. This collection of 315 poems captures the exuberance of youth. love, the change of seasons and nature. The poems are playful and a full sensory experience. I enjoyed this collection.
Karen
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this.
Maddy
Dec 16, 2013 added it
Got this book out of the library and the most famous poem was ripped out. I read it on the internet.... It really is the best one

Actually I've known that poem for a long long time because people would always use it as their epigraph in fanfiction or use a line from it as their title, I think they still do that, I think cummings is the #1 most stolen-from for fic titles across all fandoms

I have no evidence to support this

I miss everything, I miss the dumbest stuff, I'm so happy that I've been ali
t-rex
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, poetry
Another favorite Bostonian. Contains many favorites such as Buffalo Bill - the one memorization task I remember from high school. Plus a totally rad introduction.

Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question
Valerie
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I have always been a fan of ee cummings. He was texting before texting was cool.
Bibliovixen
May 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite poets.
Elizabeth Bevins
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the introduction to this collection. It's as beautiful as the poems. Cummings writing is just lyrical!
Tim
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Cummings is one poet I can keep coming back to for inspiration. This is an excellent collection.
Emily
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, poetry
Favorites: 13,17,21,73,79,89,95,101,110,176,183,197,214,217,225,277,233,241,269,283,312,315
Jilly

• Door Into the Dark: Poems
  • Hymns and Fragments
  • Twerk
  • Selected Poems
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
“who knows if the moon's
a balloon,coming out of a keen city
in the sky--filled with pretty people?
( and if you and I should

get into it,if they
should take me and take you into their balloon,
why then
we'd go up higher with all the pretty people

than houses and steeples and clouds:
go sailing
away and away sailing into a keen
city which nobody's ever visited,where

always
it's
Spring)and everyone's
in love and flowers pick themselves”
208 likes
“Why according to tomorrow's paper the proletariat will not rise yesterday.” 0 likes