Start by marking “Valley of the Kings: The 18th Dynasty” as Want to Read:

Valley of the Kings: The 18th Dynasty

2017 National Indie Excellence Awards FINALIST
2017 International Book Awards FINALIST
2016 International Pacific Book Award WINNER Best Historical Fiction

In the year 1355 BCE, the land of Egypt was the superpower of the known world. King Tut's father, Akenaten, the so-called 'heretic pharaoh,' and his wife, Queen Nefertiti, are on the verge of catapulting Egypt into a revo
Published July 26th 2016 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about Valley of the Kings, please sign up.

Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Valley of the Kings: The 18th Dynasty by Terrance Coffey is a pretty good book and a kindle scout book too. I normally don't care too much for historical fiction but I do like Egyptian books. This one was darn good and caught my interest and kept it. I found it intriguing and interesting from beginning to end. Good job.
Kostas
6.5/10

The ‘Valley of the Kings: The 18th Dynasty’ is Terrance Coffey’s debut novel, and also the first one in this dynastic trilogy, with the story set, as the title says, in the 18th Dynasty in Ancient Egypt and takes us to the, difficult, life and reign of Amenhotep IV (or otherwise known as Akhenaten). However, even though the book is, for the most part, interesting and entertaining, it left me in the end with some mixed feelings as I wanted to see something more.

The story focuses mostly on A
Chitra Iyer
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Any mention of Egyptian history and I’m hooked. So when I had the opportunity to review VALLEY OF THE KINGS: The 18th Dynasty by Terrance Coffey, I didn’t think twice. Despite my packed schedule, I just had to make time for this one!

The book takes us back to the 18th dynasty of Egyptian rule. The story begins with the rule of Amenhotep IV (later known as Akhenaten), his royal queen, Ty and their children. The course of events that occur hereafter lay the foundations for a massive change in Egypt
Jacquie (Rattle the Stars)
Jan 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
So, a little background: I'm a huge history nerd and I'm completely obsessed with the Amarna Period in Egyptian history. While the whole world knows about Nefertiti, her husband Akhenaten was the interesting one! He turned Egypt upside down by moving the long standing capital city, forcing everyone into the middle of desert, he raised a brand new city within years and most importantly, declared that Egypt would no longer worship many gods. Instead, they would follow a sun disk god called Aten. O ...more
Reeda Booke
Ancient Egypt, and in particular, the 18th Dynasty, is one of my favorite periods to read about. Although there are many books about Ahkenaten and Nefertiti, this one is right up there with the best of them. This one was a Kindle Scout selected publication that I voted for and I am glad it was chosen. Well written and entertaining.

I will definitely be reading the next in the series featuring the life of Ramses.

5 stars and kudos to a great first novel!
Anuradha Gupta
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Valley of The Kings by Terrance Coffey is a fictional account of the great empire of Egypt during the days of the pharaohs, the first in a trilogy. Set in the 18th century, it includes established facts and creates a what could have happened plot around the lives of the royal family, from Amenhotep III, his wives Queen Ty and Lady Lupita, his sons Tuthmosis and Teppy, to two generations after him, the family of Teppy and his further of his son Tut.

The story opens with pharaoh Amenhotep’s two son
Manjri Gopalan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a good book for those who haven't read or know anything about Ancient Egypt (like me). I have always been fascinated with the majestic Egyptian dynasties, their mesmerizing Pharaohs, breathtakingly beautiful Queens, and larger-than-life monuments, but little did I know what happened in their lives. I was baffled by the treachery, deceit, betrayal and cruel actions of the people to get hold of the throne.

It's a very fast paced book. I felt the author had been too ambitious while writing the
Maria
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

Review - Valley of the Kings by Terrance Coffey

Land of the Pharaohs

Egypt. A modern day Arab nation. But above all, a land of awe and wonder, shrouded in the mists of time. A Biblical land, where Abraham walked and Pharaoh coveted Abraham’s wife for himself. The land where the Hebrews lived in exile and slavery before Moses marched them away. The place where the infant Yeshua and his birth parents found refuge. Until they had to return to their destiny in Israel.

Storyteller's Magic

Nurtured by th
Aparna
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Valley of The Kings – The 18th Dynasty is based on Egyptian history.

The story travels through three generations and is a typical royal family story full of treachery, suspense, deceit, betrayal and plans to access the throne. The story also deals with spirituality and people’s belief and superstitions and fear during that era.

This is the first time I have read a book by Terrance Coffey, first time I have read a book on Egyptian history and I sure loved reading both.

I liked the author’s writing
Yagnaseni Gupta
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent storytelling

I am always fascinated by the history of Egypt. This book depicted the magic, politics, royalty, brutality everything through an exciting plot.
Jkane
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
An utter waste of time

This book spans the rule of five rulers of Egypt, none of which are presented in a positive light. The scope was too vast, the characters too cursory. Are we to leave this book with the Hittites as the heros? Just so odd for a book about famous Egyptian rulers...
Leonide Martin
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of ancient Egyptian HF
The often-told story of the Egyptian 18th Dynasty (called "Thutmosid"), takes on a different flavor in this rendition. The later years are seen primarily through the eyes of two dominant male figures, Pharaohs Akhenaten (Amenhotep IV) and Tutankhamun. Most other novels of this period are told from the women's viewpoints. Both Pharaohs were afflicted by hereditary defects due to generations of inbreeding that caused partial cleft palates and spina bifida. Research has shown that Tutankhamun, the ...more
Erin Cataldi
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
A sweeping historical drama set in 14th century Egypt, this tale of kings, political plotting, romance, betrayal, and war is sure to find a wide variety of readers. Nerfetiti, Tutankhamen, and Ty are just a few of the major players in this fictional rendering of one of the greatest periods in history. Inspired by real life letters from the Hittites and Amarnas, award winning author, Terrance Coffey lends credence and authenticity to his fascinating look at royal lineage. When Prince Amenhotep su ...more
Megan
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a fun mix of historical narrative with a fictitious plot - detailing the (famous) story of Akhenaten and Nefirtiti, the pharaoh who moved the capital of Egypt from Thebes to Amarna, and who instated a new ultimate god in the Aten.

Pros: Great, famous story! It is fun to follow along and learn more about some famous historical characters. This is truly based on historical fact, even if a few details are fudged. It is simply entertaining!

Cons: It is fast-paced to a fault (battle scene
Shawna
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book was written well enough. I forget how much I hate historical fictions until I read them again though. While it seemed that Coffey kept the known facts of Egypt intact, I found the fictional portions of the story hard to stomach. I am certainly not saying it could not have been that way, but I found myself angry while reading this story. I would prefer to keep the incest at a distance while reading about it. His created bedroom scenes left me nauseated.
I will say it is not terribly grap
Nora Peevy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
So many novels have been written about ancient Egypt and the majestic, ingenious ruling dynasty of the Pharaohs. This book follows the entire 18th century dynasty and gives the reader a glimpse into the minds and hearts of all the major players in Egypt's history, their dreams, their hopes, their goals and desires, their fears, their loves, and their weaknesses that lead to their demise. I can't wait to read the 19th century installment to see what new perspectives I can gain from that era; I'm ...more
Larry B Gray
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Valley of the Kings: The 18th Dynasty by Terrance Coffey is a great historical fiction. This book is fast paced and full of excitement. I had a hard time putting it down.

The author has done a great job of taking historical facts and turning them into an epic historical novel full of adventure and he captured the intrigue of the Egyptian court. The author's storytelling style made the book come alive and I could smell the smells and see the sights clearly in my mind.

I really liked how Terrance Co
Kay Smillie
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An epic historical tale of 18th Dynasty Ancient Egypt, well told and well written, that will capture your imagination and hold your attention for hours.

If you have a love for Ancient Egypt - and if you don't - you will thoroughly enjoy this. Even if you know the story already (which is likely), this has added personal extras which makes the reader more than the usual onlooker.

I love the way Tutankhamun's parents were written about here, because in 'real world' history, they just disappeared off
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-scout
This book spans the lives and ascension to the throne of several Pharaohs. It's an insightful look at history, and told in a way that's easy to understand. It's evident the author has done a lot of research to make it authentic. It gives glimpses into the customs and religious beliefs of the people. I've always thought history lessons should involve reading novels about the time and people, rather than simple, dry text books. This book would make a good addition to a school's curriculum.

I receiv
Sanika
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is very well written and gives glimpse of the Egyptian royalty. Some of the characters are very strong and some are quite underdeveloped. Overall, it was quiet interesting.
I liked young Teppy who was very innocent, craving for his father's attention and love. Amenhotep's indifference to Teppy somewhat justifies Ty's actions but Ay was the veilest of all. He was a true black mamba spreading poison throughout.
Sekhar N Banerjee
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good accounting of the 18th. Dynasty

Though it was a good read, I do not know why the author used the name Amarna instead of Akhetaten. The name Amarna came much later from the tribe Beni Amran.
I liked the author's portrayal of Nefertiti as the co-regent Smekharne. Some Egyptologists hold this view. I , however, could not find out from where the author found the name Teppy for Akhnaten. Most Egyptologists agree that Akhnaten and Nefertiti had six daughters.
Rebecca Slaton
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read for fans of all things ancient Egyptian

Very interesting book somewhat based on fact. Only thing I would have preferred would have been to have some of the more contemporary (modern) attitudes and speech left out in favor of more historically correct ideas. With just one caveat, I really liked this book and recommend it.
Glenda Carter
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book would like to see him continue with 19th dynasty. Anyone that enjoys early Egyptian history would like this book. Also made me do a little research ony own.

Fully enjoyed. Anyone that enoys reading early egyptian history will enjoy this. Inspired me to do a little research on my own. Thanks Terrance Coffey forva great read.
Lori Zeller
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author gave a voice to ancient Egypt

I absolutely loved this book . The author did a fantastic job of crafting this book it truly brought the Egyptian Royal Family a voice. Power corrupts and a lot of power corrupts absolutely
Carissa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, egyptian
Well told

I liked the way it progressed through the whole history as the pharaoh's changed. Wish it would have spent a bit more time with Nefertiti as pharaoh.
Chet
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Informative

The author provides a careful look into the times and culture of ancient Egypt. Raised interesting questions as to an afterlife?
Kathryn
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story of Egyptian Historical Legends

I liked the history woven into the fabric of how it could have happened to the royal house of Egypt.
Harry Ebbeson
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
An epic of Armana

A good story that fills out known and conjectured facts from this time in Egypt’s history. Character development was good and built an understanding of the Times.
John
Jul 12, 2016 added it
Shelves: digital, pbr-hbr, reviews
Review available on Pacific Book Review.
Mary Enck
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Valley of The Kings is a very intimate view into the daily lives of the royals of The 18th Dynasty of Egypt. I was interested in how much gold played an important factor in their power, strength and the designs of those long ago times. It started me wondering where all that gold came from and prompted me to look into the history of how it was acquired and fashioned by artisans into so many things that illustrated how these wealthy people lived. This was just one element that made this a fascinat ...more
  • Clare
  • The Judgment
  • The Millionaire and the Mummies: Theodore Davis's Gilded Age in Egypt
  • Jezebel
  • Sofia
  • Game of Queens: A Novel of Vashti and Esther
  • Daughters of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #3)
  • The Lost Queen of Egypt
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Curiosity
  • The Duchess of Drury Lane
  • The Fourth Queen
  • The Forest of Myrrh (Imhotep #3)
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • Hope of the Pharaoh (KIYA Trilogy, #1)
  • Saga: A Novel of Medieval Iceland
  • The Embalmer's Daughter
  • Queen of Bedlam (Georgian Queens, #1)
Terrance Coffey is a bestselling author, screenwriter, songwriter and composer with a predilection for Egyptian history. He has written numerous short stories, screenplays, television pilots, and even Coca-Cola music jingles. His debut novel "VALLEY OF THE KINGS: The 18th Dynasty" is the first of a trilogy and a #1 Amazon bestseller..