Start by marking “Tools of Titans” as Want to Read:
Tools of Titans

Tools of Titans

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  25,255 ratings  ·  1,509 reviews
The latest groundbreaking book from Tim Ferriss, the #1 New York Times best-selling author of The 4-Hour Workweek.

From the author:

“For the last two years, I’ve interviewed nearly two hundred world-class performers for my podcast, The Tim Ferriss Show. The guests range from super celebs (Jamie Foxx, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc.) and athletes (icons of powerlifting, gymn
Published December 6th 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

·  25,255 ratings  ·  1,509 reviews

Start your review of Tools of Titans
Harper Bliss
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm the kind of person who laps up inspirational books like this one. I greatly enjoyed Tools of Titans, but I have to deduct a star because what kind of message does it send when out of the 114 people the author profiles for nuggets of greatness, insight, and wisdom, only 12 are women? (Yes, I counted.)
Ran
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What an awful book.

With Tim there is this status quo that you must say "wow" on everything he does, because he is very enthusiastic and controversial, but to be honest its not the case here.

I found out that people feel liberal and sophisticated and modern because they listen to Tim.
This is why he is going to get "best seller New York Times" from "sophisticated" wannabes .

Basically the book is like surfing the web and read about eclectic products with ads.
The ads are cross promotions Tim does to
Lisa  Carlson
Dec 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: The Today Show
Shelves: self-improvement
American author, public speaker Timothy Ferriss has compiled a book perfect for the generation obsessed with famous people. Apparently, the famous have some infinite wisdom/quotes which will elevate the rest of us peasants to success. First problem. The foreward is done by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Someone who cheats on his wife with a woman who works for the family and has a child with her is no role model for anyone. At over 600 pages this hardcover book would be a useful tool to hit someone over ...more
E
Jan 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Tim Ferriss. First of all, you blew your credibility with me years ago in your debut "Four Hour Work Week" book - when you touted someone who quit their job to open a great surf camp in Brazil and I knew this person and it was a huge failure and that person is now back at a desk job.

So another one. Tough to get through and then some life changing gem of a sentence pops up amongst the B.S. so you keep pushing through the nonsense. The health and work out advice up front from various "experts
Remington Purnell
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In short: Tim Ferris at his most stereotypical: engaging, informative, and accessible.

Tools of Titans is extremely readable and really smart. Ferris' curiosity about other people's habits is contagious. It's also the first book in a while that I couldn't put down-- and was personally helpful as someone on the cusp of college graduation to help vet some important decisions in my life. (I.E. If a career/personal decision isn't an automatic "HELL YES!", it's an automatic "No".)

If you're-- as anoth
Amir Tesla
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
Amazing. This book is a compilation of gems and jewels from iconic and world-class achievers.
There is soooo much wisdom to digest and absorb.

This book is the result of Tim Ferris Show podcast in which he interviews with ultra-successful figures. The material is divided in three section: Health, Wealth, and Happiness after Benjamin Franklin's famous quote:
Early to bed, early to rise, keeps a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
I strongly recommend this book to anyone. Not every page are gonna be usef
Vjekoslav
standard Tim. many interesting things, many not so much... If I learned one thing from this book it's that it is very easy to write a book.
Kris Muir
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading the book “Tools of Titans” by Tim Ferriss. In this 673-page compendium of successful individuals, Ferriss proposes two outcomes: (1) “Success, however you define it, is achievable if you collect the right field-tested beliefs and habits” and (2) “the superheroes you have in your mind (idols, icons, titans, billionaires, etc.) are nearly all walking flaws who’ve maximized 1 or 2 strengths.”

The book is organized around the themes of healthy, wealthy, and wise. There are pat
Ecco Siewert
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who else is hyped for the December release?!?!
Matt Wright
@ 58%, Did not finish.

This isn't a book about the routines and personalities of celebrities, billionaires and world-beaters, it's a book about Tim Ferriss.

Tim is the kind of man who wants you to know that he is on the Self-Actualisation level of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Having to endure the constant interjections, the claims of how successful the author is just wore me down until I gave up and switched to something a little less self-centered.

Perhaps Tim could fund his next start up venture
Aman Mittal
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I introduced myself to Tim Ferriss last year when I randomly found a post on his blog in which he had interviewed Maria Popova. Actually, I was searching for Brain Picking’s Maria Popova’s interviews as she is such an inspiring blogging personality, the way she curate the content for every post is amazing and seems an example of a creative process, just right out of her imagination.You must check out Brain Pickings. Moreover, scan through Tim Ferriss’ blog which is called FourHourWorkWeek.com an ...more
Michael Werner
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an EXCEPTIONAL book. Part philosophy, part business, and part story, Ferriss distills some of the most important lessons he has learned through his own experiments with life and work, as well as from the dozens of successful people from all walks of life he has befriended or interviewed for his podcast and writings.

I have tried several times to read the book from the beginning, but have found it impossible because he will cover something that inspires me to jump to another part of the b
Trisha
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre at best. This is a collection of interviews from billionaires, athletes, and people in the top of their field. I enjoyed reading some of the interviews, and learning stories of how people overcame failures is always inspiring.

However, the premise of this book seems to be a formula: "Read this, and you will learn to be successful". Even after reading a few interviews in this book, it's very clear that there is no one formula at all. In fact, habits of one of the interviewees may have hav
Shalini Sinha
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that this book is so American that the title should have been “Tools of American Titans”, I did like it. A better version of this book would be to interview some iconic and non-American citizens by cutting off quite a few people whose content is already limited to one page. Lesser content from more people, in my view, decreases signal over noise ratio. But that’s just my opinion. However, I do think a great deal of personalities interviewed for the book are not relatable to read ...more
Sara
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book had a certain lack of consistency in terms of quality of advice (some things are just too self-evident and not exactly earth-shattering tidbits), I enjoyed the wide variety of subject matter explored by such an assorted group of high achievers. This is a good read for when you need a snapshot jolt of common sense, humor, and a kick in the pants to go do something with your time. Hope to eventually read other titles by Tim Ferriss.
Eryk Banatt
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to pick up if you're interested in observing general patterns that highly successful (by most definitions) people tend towards, and less great if you specifically want these patterns largely spelled out for you. Different things work for different people, and this book is certainly no different; some of these very successful people swear by some things and others specifically removed those things from their lives to positive affect. The important thing, I think, is to look a ...more
Wout
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,7/5. This book is a buffet you can choose from.

The fact that it’s 674 pages big and the way it’s structured makes it so that it’s a less nice ‘read’, however, that’s also why he advises to skip pages liberally. It gives you a lot of the hows but from what I’ve read so far not a lot of why’s, and this means that it lacks a bit of depth. But that’s not what the book was meant for, it just gives you the Tools of Titans. Generally I liked his other books better but that’s probably because I’m so w
Kelly
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A meta-reading experience because, having read 150-200 books per year for the past few years and taking notes/insights on all of them, this entire book looks like what my annual book logs look like. Hence, I was highlighting all over the book (195 highlights apparently, since Kindle now integrates highlights into Goodreads). Tim Ferriss produced a book from his podcasts like I produce learnings and notes from the books I read, so this book was well-suited to my style.
Alan Williams
Dec 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give no stars I would

A very overrated book and one I couldn't bear to keep reading. I rarely stop a book if I started it but I only struggled through half of this one. Literally just notes in typed form. Format is inconsistent and scattered. Definitely would NOT recommend.
Drasko Kovrlija
Apr 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's not really a "book," as in a cohesive body of work. It's really just a summary of Mr. Ferriss's podcasts with guests offering advice on a variety of topics. At times it just reads like an advertisement for various products, etc.

A lot of the information is interesting, some is naturally contradictory, and very little will be applicable to any reader.

The most memorable aspect of the book for me personally was the introduction in which Mr. Ferriss talks about how he was working on the book "in
Antony L. Butler
Valuable but lacks sttucture

In Tools of Titans, Tim grabbed some of the best of his podcast and moved it into print. But the content is missing real structure and is mixed with silly nonsense that is meant to be funny but misses the mark such as favorite spirit animals and his useless billboard question. There are some golden nuggets in here and they are worth going after, I just had to work a little harder than I wanted. It was worth the price especially after 200+free episodes of the podcast w
James
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a completely ridiculous book. I mean that in a good way. A book so long and labyrinthine that you’re not supposed to read it. But I read every word. Tools of Titans is essentially a collection of notes from Tim Ferriss’s podcast taken from the best bits of interviews with people ranging from Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ariana Huffington to some random knob jockey that you’ve never heard of but has made a lot of money. It’s split into three sections — Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. For about wh ...more
Claudio
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After listening all of the podcasts I found useful to read all the tips and tricks collected in this book. A real manual on how to improve your life, from so many different voices that it's impossible not to fond something valuable.

Abhimanu
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read.
Marrije
Frustrating hodgepodge of bits & bobs. Wanted to give it two stars, but annoyingly I found a couple of actual useful ideas in there. ...more
Anovelqueen
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Review to follow.
Michelle
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions. If I want to fix something, I fix it, no matter the time of year. But I do try to read something sort of self-help-esque for my first book of every year, even if it's frivolous, like regarding fashion or something along those lines. I would not call this book frivolous, however.

I started listening to Tim Ferriss's podcasts in the past year, and haven't read his previous books, but decided to pick this one up. He's a bit of a spastic weirdo (in a good way)
Cari
I like the use of a titan's guide. Some of my favorites were Paulo Coelho and Malcolm Gladwell. Would have like to see a few more women referenced, but in the end, I am glad I stuck with this book.
Dannii Elle
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One of my goals for 2020 was to fit more non-fiction into my reading schedule. Another was to find more inspirational individuals for daily motivation and life coaching. This book aids me in both of those goals.

The short snippets of life advice collated here each measure in between two and five pages and feature a multitude of aspirational entrepreneurs, which means this is going to be the perfect way to begin each day for the initial stage of a new decade! I'll update my favourite quotes or ind
Ryan
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blinkist
I've never been a Tim Ferris fan, but this book still surprised me in how bad it was. (Disclaimer: I only listened to the blinkist summary and read a couple chapters, but saw no reason to read any more)

This felt like he outsourced "write a generic advice book" to someone sourced from the Internet for $5/hr. It was really generic advice motivated with questionable examples. Skip.
Cheap Tool carts 1 4 Jul 26, 2019 01:02AM

• Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual
Tim Ferriss is author of three #1 NYT/WSJ bestsellers: The 4-Hour Workweek, The 4-Hour Body, and The 4-Hour Chef. He is also a start-up advisor specializing in positioning, PR, and marketing (Uber, Evernote, etc.). When not damaging his body with abusive sports, he enjoys chocolate, bear claws, and Japanese animation.