Start by marking “The Eternal Champion (Eternal Champion, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eternal Champion (Eternal Champion, #1)

The Eternal Champion (Erekosë #1-2 omnibus US)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  2,324 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Young and old, familiar fans and newcomers, will be captivated by Michael Moorcock's legendary Eternal Champion collection. Timeless, classic and beyond a doubt one of the foundations of modern Fantasy, the Eternal Champion is a series of stories that no Fantasy aficionado should pass up.Includes The Eternal Champion, Phoenix in Obsidian, To Rescue Tanelorn and The Sundere ...more
Paperback, Omnibus, 484 pages
Published February 1st 1996 by White Wolf Games Studio (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Eternal Champion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eternal Champion

Tosh
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Why was I chosen? I still do not know…I shall always be here. And if, as wise men tell me, time is cyclic, then I shall one day return to part of the cycle I knew as the twentieth century, for (it was not a wish of mine) I am immortal.

I enjoyed my first introduction to Michael Moorcock’s fascinatingly complex multiverse, and even more fascinating character – the Eternal Champion. The stories of Erekose, The Eternal Champion and Phoenix in Obsidian, were my two favorites of the four in this v
Francesco Manno
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

The Eternal Champion is the first volume fantasy eponymous cycle, written by Michael Moorcock and published on the UK market in 1962. The novel belongs to the subgenre of sword and sorcery, with some contamination clockpunk. The narrative proceeds in person through the point of view of John Daker, a man of our planet, catapulted into a world of ice in which embodies Erekose, the Eternal Champion; evoked by King Rigenos to defeat Eldren, a race of elves in
Charles Dee Mitchell
When White Wolf Publishing began anthologizing the Eternal Champion series in the 1990's, the three novels and one short story included here made up the first volume. Like most of Moorcock's EC series, this volume is out of print, unless another variation is part of the new editions currently in production by Gollancz in the UK. For anyone interested in the Moorcock multiverse world, this is a logical place to start but not the most engaging. As Moorcock says in the introduction

The Eternal Champ
Tamcamry
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
• Michael Moorcock is recognized as one of the forefathers of modern science fiction. This book truly illustrates why. He was the first to use terms like inter-dimensional and multiverse. On top of the originality of his terms, his stories are also excellent. Each story left me with the right amount of question while answering enough questions to both be coherent and also keep me intrigued. This book also lets you into the passions and desires that drive Moorcock’s Eternal Champion enough so tha ...more
Scott
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Warning, this is total crap. The first story was written when Moorcock was 17, and it's very weak. Like Elric 'fan fiction." Weak story, weak characters. Yuck. Then a space adventure, totally disjointed and ridiculous. All action basically random, with the main character dying half way through. I couldn't make myself read the third story, but the final story deals with Tanelorn. Badly. If I had never read Moorcock before, I would never consider reading him again. This is all so bad. What a huge ...more
Charlotte Raines
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first introduction to Michael Moorcock and I am SO ready to delve into more of his work. I actually found the straightforward story telling to be refreshing. Made my brain wrap around the worlds he was introducing better.
Eric
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book under-delivered on all my expectations.

As a fan of the Elric of Melnibone series by Michael Moorcock I looked forward to a similar style of writing which would highlight the flaws of the hero while weaving an engaging tale with realistic surprises. The Elric series was engaging because it turned the common fantasy cliches on their head and created something just as engaging but different. Common to the Elric series is the theme of an Eternal Champion who lives throughout the ages in di
Julie
This book is the first of three stories Moorcock wrote about the "John Daker" character, who is doomed to travel through time and space, inhabiting the bodies of different heroes for just long enough to resolve whatever current crisis looms. If you like reading books like this "in order," as I do, you'll want to continue on with the other two John Daker books: The Silver Warriors, and then the Dragon in the Sword.

The Eternal Champion is not only the starting point of Moorcock's entire eternal ch
nobody
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, moorcock
This omnimbus was great! The first book wasn't the greatest, it had some really great ideas, but the writing was a little hackish, and it sorta skipped quickly over certain things. It was a sort of typical fantasy action novel. The second novel changes gears completely, and is a very trippy scifi book that seems very drug inspired (and not normal drugs either, stuff like salvia, DMT, and DXM.) It was quite a page turner, and I was very surprised that the third novel picks up where the second lef ...more
Christopher
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I have always had a hard time with Moorcock and Vance as writers. I love the premise of Elric, Erekose, Ulric, Rakhir and the many other multiversal champions. But its when moorcock goes off on his mind bending tangents that I have a hard time "Wanting" to keep with the story. Now I blame this entirely on my own warped mind, but I prefer Lovecraftian verbosity when it lends itself to setting a scene, not so much when it applies to trying to make something even more chaotic then it is. A 2 paragr ...more
Dave
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Four stories each featuring the Eternal Champion. The first story is Moorcock's first written story and is okay. Even Moorcock admits it isn't great, but important in the whole milieu. The second story is very sci-fi and really didn't grab me at all. I felt it not only dragged but was over long. The third story moved along at a brisk pace and harkened back to the first story and I found it to be quite enjoyable due to the action sequences. The fourth story is the shortest and actually could hav ...more
Oliver Eike
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantasy with a different twist.

I tend to be skeptical when it comes to primary fantasy settings having elements of Sci-fi in them, because after watching a few episodes of that Shannara Chronicles stuff it just feels to me like finding a ball of hair in ones soup. It is still soup and it is still "edible", but you'd rather not.

This however was a quite different animal, the way it was mixed here seemed almost natural, at least to someone who has played the RPG Exalted for 10-15 years.

Erekose i
Derek
Just re-read this book for my Moorcock binge.

The first novel in the volume, _The Eternal Champion_, is one of Moorcock's best. This is the story in which Moorcock introduced the concept of the warrior fighting for destiny with multiple incarnations across time and the multiverse. The exploration of innocence, self-deceit, and the betrayal of that trust is an intriguing and powerful one. Very good.

The second, _Sundered Worlds_, reminds me conceptually of Olaf Stapleton and his themes of evolution
Michael Bafford
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't read Michael Moorcock previously. How that came about is a wonder as I've read Fantasy since before the Silmarillion. Anyway I finally got around to it. I suspect this is not a typical Moorcock - but what do I know?

It started off kind of bush, a spirit called from our age to ... somewhen else; to fight for humanity. Hmmmm. Wonderfully beautiful cities, castles, armour and a woman, hmmm. But pretty soon I began to sense that there was more to this story than a hero bashing elves. And I
Dewey
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked and didn't like this book at the same time. It is fantasy, but it is also an anti-fantasy book, the kind that must have made Moorcock known as the anti-Tolkien fantasy writer (insofar as his works try to draw away from Tolkien's vast influence). Still it was funny, and is nevertheless the kind of novel the fantasy canon needs. Looking forward to reading more of Moorcock and this series, though hopefully not all of his books are like this. One must take on the big giants of our field, but ...more
Víctor Blanco
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Mixed feelings.
On the one hand Moorcock surpasses lyrical level on several occasions. The contradictions of the main character, common feature in his novels, are the hallmark of this one.
However, I missed the fluid narrative, developments, and finally, the great splurge that in other of his works grabs you like a whirlwind. The plot in "Eternal Champion" is much slower and sometimes almost stagnant.
I recommend reading to understand more about Moorcocks universe, but for those who want to begin t
Mick
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
My first attempt at Moorcock provided some very cool moments mixed in with some very lackluster moments. Of course, this collection of stories is taken from several different eras in Moorcock's career, so the uneven styling is to be expected.

Overall, if you want to be introduced to the basics of the eternal champion premise and the multiverse concept, this is a very good volume to read, I think. But it is not the best of Moorcock's writing in terms of story and character.
David Hayden
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I do not know why Sundered Worlds appears where it does in this collection. It should have been the first story or the last. The last story in the book, the novella, is not as good as the other material. Eternal Champion and The Phoenix in Obsidian are more than worth the price of admission. And Sundered Worlds is also fantastic, if a little out of place. It was chosen for the first volume for thematic and chronological reasons, I think.
Alex
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adventure/Fantasy lovers, those trying to decide what is right.
Fantastic book, it was consistently riveting from start to finish and conveyed well its moral message. The Eternal Champion prompts us to consider who it is we side with and advocates a personal development of our own moral perspectives instead of blindly following the masses, even if they're people we've lived with our whole lives desperate times can expose the darker, perhaps realer side of ourselves. It also had cool fight scenes.
JJ
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eternal-champion
This is is great start to the epic Eternal Champion series. This book introduces readers to the key elements in the series: the Eternal Champion, the Multiverse, and the eternal city of Tanelorn.

I'm excited that the stories have been updated by the author to better fit together and really enjoyed his insights shared in the new introduction to the stories. I can't wait to get into the next book.
Jay
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the few books that has withstood the test of time for me. I read this as a teenager and have read it several times since then, and it still hooks me. Sure, it drags at some points. If you stick with it, Moorcock delivers an engaging story and memorable characters. Worth the read.
Michael
Jun 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An introduction of sorts to the Eternal Champion concept that populates most of Moorcock's fiction. I could do without the second of the three books in this volume. I skipped it. I'm not ashamed to admit it. It was pretty terrible. The other two (especially the first) were so much better.
John Watson
I remember this book being kind of cool, but I guess I wasn't that motivated to seek out the rest of the series. I definitely read this as a teenager though, when I was phasing out fantasy/sci-fi/horror in favor of literary fiction and non-fiction.
Geoffrey
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Something about this story struck a chord with me the first time I read it 20 or so years ago, and I return to it every few years - probably because it was the first time I had read a humans vs "others" story in which I was rooting for the destruction of the human race. Dark? Oh Mais oui!
Brian
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Eternal Champion is called to rid the world of mankind's enemy, the sorcerous Eldren. He slowly learns that it is the human race that is wretched and must be destroyed. A lovely little tale of genocide, expertly written by a precocious teenager over the course of a week decades ago. Cheers.
Ken
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great! Read these before and wanted to revisit the Eternal Champion Cycle by Michael Moorcock-one of my favorite writers!
Brian
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic read. I had read the Elric books before but had never read the other Eternal Champion stories. I will be checking out the rest for sure.
Tobey Tyler
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best ever!!
Will Oprisko
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I first read this book when I was 13 and I loved it. However, going back to browse through it again left me quite disappointed. There is a lot better dark fiction for sci-fi and fantasy lovers.
Mark Henderson
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story with its twist. I'm a big fan of Michael Moorcock.
Goodreads Librari...: Elric Saga - Need help 13 121 Feb 06, 2014 04:25PM
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf
  • Ill Met in Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1-2)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Conan, Vol. 2: The God in the Bowl and Other Stories
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • The Well At The World's End: Volume I
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • The Door to Saturn
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Erekosë (4 books)
  • The Eternal Champion (Erekosë, #1)
  • The Silver Warriors (Erekosë, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Sword (Erekosë, #3)
  • The Quest for Tanelorn (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #3)