Start by marking “Clerks & Chasing Amy” as Want to Read:
Clerks & Chasing Amy

Clerks & Chasing Amy

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  695 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Here in one volume are two screenplays by Kevin Smith, one of today's most original filmmakers. Clerks was the independent film success story of 1994, winning the Prix de la Jeunesse and the International Critics Week Award at Cannes, and the Filmmakers' Trophy at Sundance. Set in the everyday world of a New Jersey QuickStop and its adjacent video store, the film revolves ...more
Published March 28th 1997 by Miramax

To ask other readers questions about Clerks & Chasing Amy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clerks & Chasing Amy

Abbas Saleem Khan
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scripts
My two favorite screenplays from the 90s. Smith's use of free-flowing dialogue is him at his best.
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't know why I have this book. I think I originally thought I was going to read them and then that would teach me how to write screenplays, but I neglected the most important thing about writing screenplays. You actually have to have an idea for a screenplay. That would not be provided by this book, unless I want to write a movie about wise-ass clerks or lesbian Joey Lauren Adams.
Reading these reminded me about how I feel whenever I watch a Kevin Smith movie. His dialogue is really funny an
Marcus J.
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seen this film many times. The screenplay is just plain old good and clever. It fits all the rules - it's good, clever, funny, has reversals, high stakes, a major character flaw in our protagonist that causes the death of his relationship. In other words perfect Aristotle. Also he learns something and the final scene leaves open the possibility of total redemption which is really cool!!' (Unlike Kevin Smith's recent offerings 'Tusk' and 'Red State' which left me feeling a bit sick).

Chasing Amy
May 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
The absolute best part of this is the introduction by Kevin Smith. How honest he is about the entire process of starting "Clerks" was really interesting and eye-opening, the kind of thing that makes you say, if he could do it...

I especially liked the part about after getting bashed for making "Mallrats" how one movie reviewer that honestly tried to interpret and understand what Smith was doing was able to elaborate that within the overall issues with the movie, that there were elements of truth
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
He's not everybody's cup of tea but Kevin Smith's mixture of pop culture and heart just makes this completely my thing. Do not approach if you hate excessive talk about star wars, sex and mixed up feelings in your twenties.
Ezequiel Rodríguez
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Smith most solid work put out on paper. It is preceded by a short but powerful tale on how both films are linked. These are the full original scripts thus you get some additional scenes that did not make the final cut. Highly recommended if you enjoy Smith's work.
Dec 27, 2009 rated it liked it
reading Chasing Amy is in many ways more fun than actually watching it- Kevin Smith is not a good director and that hurts Amy more than it does the simpler Clerks, which is a brilliant comedic script, IMO.
Darin Strachan
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: screenplays
These are two of my favorite Kevin Smith movies. The scripts are good reads. The philosophical side is evident in Smith's dialogue. And some of the subtler ways he foreshadows future events are more noticeable in the script.
Jan 10, 2009 marked it as to-read
Lily Percy
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I would carry this book with me the first week of school every year in high school. I don't actually know why it comforted me so much but it really did.
Bill G
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Two great screenplays from two great movies.
I liked to follow along, mark the deleted scenes, mark the lines that are different, and have a blast.
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Yay Kevin Smith. Many things in the book, that never made it to the screen!
Fun, fun to act out!
  • American Beauty: The Shooting Script
  • Hannah and Her Sisters
  • Shooting to Kill
  • Taxi Driver
  • Spike, Mike, Slackers, & Dykes: A Guided Tour Across a Decade of American Independent Cinema
  • Adaptation.: The Shooting Script
  • Before Sunrise & Before Sunset: Two Screenplays
  • Lost Highway
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
  • Talk Radio (TCG Edition)
  • Placing Movies: The Practice of Film Criticism
  • The Truman Show: The Shooting Script
Kevin Patrick Smith is an American screenwriter, director, as well as a comic book writer, author, and actor. He is also the co-founder, with Scott Mosier, of View Askew Productions and owner of Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash comic and novelty store in Red Bank, New Jersey. He also hosts a weekly podcast with Scott Mosier known as SModcast. He is also known for participating in long, humorous Q ...more
More about Kevin Smith...