John's Reviews > Clerks & Chasing Amy

Clerks & Chasing Amy by Kevin Smith

Jan 28, 2010

I don't know why I have this book. I think I originally thought I was going to read them and then that would teach me how to write screenplays, but I neglected the most important thing about writing screenplays. You actually have to have an idea for a screenplay. That would not be provided by this book, unless I want to write a movie about wise-ass clerks or lesbian Joey Lauren Adams.
Reading these reminded me about how I feel whenever I watch a Kevin Smith movie. His dialogue is really funny and smart and captures how guys talk to each other really really well. But his long emotional speeches aren't that good. Especially the ones he writes for girls. But even the ones for guys, like the one Ben Affleck delivers in the car in 'Chasing Amy', they just seem a little over-written. Rehearsed. I just don't believe that the character would be able to compose his thoughts so carefully and parse his words so neatly in such a big emotional moment. I remember thinking that in the theater too.
The other good thing about Kevin Smith is he always seems to have a great affection for his characters. You never get the sense that they are jokes to him. They seem important and worthwhile people, even when they are being childish and silly. I like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clerks & Chasing Amy.