Start by marking “The Collected Dialogues” as Want to Read:
The Collected Dialogues

The Collected Dialogues

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  659 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
All the writings of Plato generally considered to be authentic are here presented in the only complete one-volume Plato available in English. The editors set out to choose the contents of this collected edition from the work of the best British & American translators of the last 100 years, ranging from Jowett (1871) to scholars of the present day. The volume contains p ...more
Published September 15th 1963 by Princeton University Press (NJ) (first published -347)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Dialogues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Dialogues

Ted
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have, philosophy, re-read
NEW BIT

A lot of general info on the Dialogues (eg Wiki, other commentators) define three different periods (Early, Middle, Late) into which they shove sets of dialogues. It would certainly make sense, if it appealed to a reader, to go through them in this sort of order. Even so, the list I've come up with below could be used to highlight the most important dialogues within a period, and also to perhaps indicate (by absence or low rank) dialogues in the period which might be skipped.

- - - - - - -
AC
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This Hamilton-Cairns collection is by far the best one-volume Plato in English, though even here one must realize that some of the translations chosen (especially those of some of the early, aporetic dialogues) are not always the best.

Jowett is worthless, more a Victorian era paraphrase than a translation, and Cooper contains a lot of "updated" translations by people with a heavily 'analytic' background that are not terribly good, though Grube's excellent Republic is in it. Still, nothing compar
Erik Graff
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Leo Sweeney
Shelves: philosophy
I took Leo Sweeney's Plato course during my first semester at Loyola University Chicago. Early on he asked for research proposals. I said I wanted to read all the material and write comprehensively about Plato's theology. He accepted that and I proceeded to take extensive notes while pouring through the texts.

Meanwhile, Sweeney taught the course focusing only on a few dialogs focusing on epistemology. While what he said plausibly connected to the texts he specifically addressed, much of it was a
Veronica
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is my bible. I first read it for a college class as an undergrad. One of the first books I remember reading was the Symposium. I ended up dropping that first philosophy class for various reasons. When I came back to school at a different university, I decided to try philosophy again. Synchronicity must have been at work in my choice of professors, as the one I chose became my mentor and my friend. It was in his class that I delved back into Plato and fell in love with them. It would be ...more
James
While I do not always agree with Plato, the beauty of his prose and its poetic quality bring me back to his dialogues again and again. This is the edition I acquired for my class in Plato & Aristotle in college and it is still a standard one volume text. It includes all the dialogues attributed to Plato plus the letters. This is one of the few books that I have read and reread over the last forty years. The result has been a growing appreciation for both Plato's project and his image of Socr ...more
Thomas Coon
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first time I had to read anything by Plato, I was a junior-year Classics major at a small liberal arts college. I hated it - we read through The Republic, and after I was done with the course, I burned the book in a furnace.

Two years later, though, another look at Plato's works (albeit outside of a structured, classroom setting) has proven to me that there is a great deal to be learned from Plato. For one, there is no other writer I've yet encountered who thinks so critically about any iss

Sagar Jethani
Nov 06, 2010 added it
Shelves: classics
Found this classic while digging through my garage looking for a bug zapper last night. I'm going to re-read it over the next few months. Such an amazing collection in a single publication.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Plato and Aristotle between them not only laid the foundations for Western philosophy, many would argue they divided it neatly between them: Plato the one who with his "Allegory of the Cave" gave birth to the idea of an existence beyond our senses, giving a rational gloss to mysticism. Aristotle, the father of logic and a scientist, with a this-world orientation. There's a famous fresco by Raphael, "The School of Athens," where that's illustrated, where the figure meant to be Plato points to the ...more
Peter
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Used this book twice for classes, once in 1982 for Greek philosophy and for Plato in particular, 2014. My printing is the 9th from 1978. Hardbound, the construction is sound with individual sections woven into the backing. I suspect the book may outlast me.

The reason I give it a mere 3 stars is because I am suspect of the translations, some of which go way back. More contemporary translations may more accurately portray Plato and the Greek culture in general.

Yet, through this book I came to unde
Elle
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I only read Socrates' Defense/Apology, the first 25 pages of this book. To see how Socrates answered his accusers and went to his death during this week, when how Jesus did the same is the focus of so many services, is particularly interesting. I had forgotten that Socrates felt he was following a divine mandate. I loved that when Socrates was condemned and asked to suggest his own punishment, he replied that upkeep by the state, which he was constantly working to improve, seemed appropriate.
Karl
Laws: 07/09/2017
Dan
Apr 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: onmyshelf
Still reading this but I think I'm going to need some help from some philosophy experts on this one. Not that Plato's ideas are difficult to understand--they aren't, at all--but because I'm having a hard time figuring out why this mass of logic-chopping and strange cultural assumptions forms one of the bedrock texts of Western thought. That's right, I just bagged on Plato! Try to stop me!
Andrew Corrie
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Putting this in the "read" shelf is not quite accurate since I have not read every last dialogue. But the ones I did read - e.g. Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Timaeus, Gorgias, Theaetetus, Symposium - were beautifully translated. I like the fact that the book weighs a ton, as well: heavy book for some surprisingly ethereal reading.
Keegan
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy, classics
These translations burn my soul, but I got the book for free and it's still goddamn Plato, so I can't very well complain too loudly.

Reading this as part of MIT's survey course in western philosophy.
Kevin A.
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The person of Socrates is engaging. His aristocratic politics not so much. And while much of his ethical and psychological analysis is useful, his most notable practice -- reifying conceptual categories into objective, eternal entities -- was a dead end for philosophy.
Baff
Nov 09, 2008 added it
I like dialogue in real life a lot, but in this book it seems unimportant. 98% of the time, when Socrates asks a question, the other speaker just agrees with him. In real life, people can disagree freely.
Carlton Powers
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start with Plato? The man made a foundation for though, a charter for truth, a map for philosophers. If he is not the flourish or the crown, he is the foundation and cheif cornerstone of my thinking.
Lady
Mar 02, 2011 added it
I've read this so many times... just in the mood
Arkar Kyaw
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Nobody should die before reading Plato."
Michael Anderson
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Definitive collection of the complete dialogs.
Albert
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of the most essential works to mankind, and the definitive version.
robert
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just love the austere quality of this printing. It lends confidence and faith to the translations.
Mark Feltskog
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Along with current--and ongoing--findings in cognitive science, pretty much everything you need to know about teaching.
James Violand
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with sufficient gray matter.
Shelves: own
So talented a writer, it is a joy to read him. His dialogues create a philosophy that elevates the mind of man through dialectic. Wonderful. It works your brain.
John Allen
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to John Allen by: my mom
Plato's Socratic dialog is simply the best form of philosophy. A must read.
sologdin
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ancient, philosophy
last words of ornery codger recorded faithfully by ambitious immaterialist.
Jen
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i love it but small text makes my eyes hurt. hahaha
Mark Woodland
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the classics. Other than it's something you must and will read in school, I found it very stimulating.
Teddee
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: college, philosophy
certain dialogues only
Carlos Varona Martinez
Sep 18, 2017
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون) (Alternate Spelling: Platón, Platone)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosoph
More about Plato

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99