Start by marking “Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family” as Want to Read:
Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family

Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family

Get out of debt and stay out with the help of Dave Ramsey, recently seen by millions of Today Show viewers. His practical regimen, first set forth by The Financial Peace Planner, which will be published by Penguin in January 1998. Loaded with inspirational insights that come from personal experience, this set of books is the most valuable purchase a debt-ridden reader can ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about Financial Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Financial Peace

Chad Warner
Nov 07, 2009 Chad Warner rated it it was ok
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
Some of my friends are Dave Ramsey fans. The 2 main things I knew about him were his envelope system of budgeting, and his anti-debt stance. I thought I'd find out about these by reading The Total Money Makeover. That book covered his anti-debt stance, but didn't cover the envelope system, and it also contained many references to this book, Financial Peace. So although this book was published before The Total Money Makeover, I read it second. The 5 Baby Steps briefly mentioned in this book serve ...more
Lensey
Mar 03, 2017 Lensey rated it really liked it
I found this book extremely helpful in planning a basic budget and seeking ways to have some financial peace. The book itself is a very easy read. I like the way that Dave Ramsey writes--it's very easy to understand for someone who is not well-versed in money matters. Some of the information is a little dated, but for the most part it's a great book. I feel as though I have a better grasp on my financial situation after reading this book.
Lisa Marie
Feb 19, 2012 Lisa Marie rated it liked it
I've heard so much about Dave Ramsey over the last couple of years and all about his amazing financial guru powers, so I've been trying to get my hands on one of his books at my local library for a while now. I managed to finally get a copy of this book this week and devoured it in a day or so.

My first impression was:

Hmm. What's the epiphany here? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of something new. This could be for 3 reasons.

1. The library only had this 1997 version, which has made it ext
Penny
Feb 16, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Once again, I felt like many of the suggestions were so easy I should have come up with them myself! However, his point is good. I'm not a dumb person. I'm just ignorant about finances because no one ever taught me how to handle my bills.

Much of this information is already out there and easily accessible. If you read The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness you'll get pretty much the same information. If you follow any message boards, forums, or any other
Jered Skousen
Sep 20, 2008 Jered Skousen rated it it was amazing
Financial Peace
by Dave Ramsey

This is a great overview book on putting your financial house in order.
He goes through the basics, and ends most chapters with “peace puppies” – if you get them in control while young, it is better then an old disobedient dog.

Peace Puppies:
1) Avoid “Stuffitis”, the worship of stuff
2) Plant seeds – give money away to worthy causes
3) Develop your own “power over purchase”
4) Find where you are naturally gifted – enjoy your work and work hard
5) Live substantially below y
Mark Geise
Sep 04, 2016 Mark Geise rated it liked it
I have listened to a good amount of Dave Ramsey's radio program, so I knew what to expect. Though this is an old book by now (I believe it's about 20 years old), the Ramsey message has stayed the same over the years. He preaches that people need to get out of debt as quickly as possible. To do so, he recommends following his baby steps: save up a $1,000 emergency fund, pay off all debts besides your home using the debt snowball, save up three to six months of expenses, maximize retirement accoun ...more
Rachael Quinn
Jan 22, 2012 Rachael Quinn rated it it was amazing
I can't help it. I love personal finance books. There's a reason I love them, though. They make me feel strong, motivated, and inspired. Ramsey is really good at this. While reading his books, I feel like I can take on the world and really accomplish my dreams.

I read Total Money Makeover about a year and a half ago and I got a similar boost from that. After reading, I built up an emergency fund and paid off my car a year early. However, I then bought a house. That is not part of the plan. After
Jennifer James
Jun 11, 2014 Jennifer James rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! I think if I can implement even a few of the suggested changes it will completely turn around my finances. I think the two most helpful tips are:

1) Money envelopes (p.211-213). Budget how much each category (grocery, clothes, restaurants, gas, etc) gets each week, and then put that money in an envelope. Each week only spend what is in the envelope. Cash only -- apparently studies have shown that people spend more when using plastic, even when it's a debit card. If you don't
Erin
Jun 24, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
First point - This book was a little outdated to be of much use. I was hoping to get into the envelope system more, but I think I'll have to look elsewhere for that information. At this point in my life (single, just enough to pay necessities, student) I'm not seeing how I can squeeze anymore out and save for anything. I don't really agree with his "no credit cards" stance because having credit cards can get you great deals with cash back and extra savings if paid off every month. Overall, I thi ...more
April
Dec 10, 2010 April rated it really liked it
When my sister, who is an accountant, said you should read this book, I thought, I'm great with our finances, how on earth will this hokey book help me? I am so glad I read it. His take on debt is very different from what I grew up with, and I'm going to use his snowball method to pay my debt off. I feel like an idiot that I didn't think of it. His ideas for getting your financial house in order are simple, realistic and do-able. I've revamped my 2011 budget to follow many of the suggestions he ...more
Ryan
May 25, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Although the "Peace Puppies" in this book may seem a little cheesy, read them and they will get the point across. Although this, like all of Dave Ramsey's books, are under the topic of "money management" and "financial security", all of these topics that Dave and his wife, Sharon, discuss, are connected to one's relationship with their wife/ husband, children, parents, children, and friends. Yes, the priciples are based on faith and this book will convey that. If you are a person of faith: great ...more
Mike Ford
Feb 23, 2015 Mike Ford rated it it was ok
This edition of this book has good information, but is not very focused. There is a lot of repetition and fluff to wade through to get the useful nuggets. While not the book's fault, much of the information is outdated (this book is pre-mainstream Internet, so recommended budget methods are more time-consuming than using Mint; no Roth plans, etc.). I'd skip this and read The Total Money Makeover instead, which is meatier and shows Ramsey's growth as an author.

There is an updated version of this
Je lis donc je suis
This was actually my second time through this book. I read it the first time several years ago. It was well worth the time and is actually a fairly quick read. The principles in the book are rock solid, though they do take discipline (which comes and goes in my case) to maintain. I did love reading his negotiating chapter, and cringed as I read his wise advice and techniques, my thought however often being: "I could not do that..." Yes, alas I just suck at bargaining and always will. I learned l ...more
Christina
Apr 05, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: Tia
"You should never invest in anything you do not thoroughly understand - except possibly a spouse." Hee hee. I enjoy Dave Ramsey's lighthearted writing style, which is much like his radio talk-show style.

The book is full of common-sense ideas for getting your financial house in order. I appreciate that the author has 'been there' - he has struggled with bankruptcy himself. I also like the tidbits from his wife at the end of each chapter. The content seems so obvious, but is needed. I found the pa
Jill
A quick read. This edition is rather out of date but I picked it up at the library. It discussed budgets and finances with Ramsey's forceful delivery and some Bible quotes.
There are some points that are super - I shared the table in the chapter "Pile Up Plunder" with a young coworker and it did a great job of illustrating the impact of early savings vs. starting later. His "Baby Steps" plan for organizing finances is very helpful.
I did not appreciate that his wife Sharon's comments at the end o
Nicole
Mar 04, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
read this many years ago, but after a year of unemployment I am trying to work myself back to a point of true stability. It reminded me of all the things I once learned and am trying to enact again. I know how to become debt free, I know where my "problem areas" are and I am prepared to get debt free again. this is an excellent book for getting motivated and learning some great ways to reinvent your life without debt!
Hava
Jun 20, 2008 Hava rated it liked it
Recommends it for: financial newbies
Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family by Dave Ramsey is an average book for those who are just starting out on the road back to fiscal responsibility. If you have never read a book about how to manage your finances... Click here to continue
Anna
Jan 16, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
I've been listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio for about a year now, and finally got around to reading one of his books. He writes exactly how he talks so it sounded very much like him. He made very good points throughout, and spent a lot of time explaining mutual funds, different types of insurance and taxes and that kind of thing. I think that I prefer to listen to his radio show. It was encouraging to read though, since I'm on Baby Step 2 of his plan right now. Yay for more motivation!
Michele
Jan 27, 2010 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, skimmed
I found this book pretty interesting. I finally know what mutual funds are now! A lot of this book didn't really apply to me (thus the skimming), but it did inspire me to put more money away.

I want to get the updated version of this book. It's from 1995, and it says a good mutual fund makes 12%. Looking online at some above average funds, and they're only making 7-8%. So some of the info is kind of dated.
Melissa
Jan 25, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those that have already read The Total Money Makeover
I read this book years ago. We really worked to budget using this plan. I really do spend with more control when I use cash. The stress of using a debit card is so much higher than just using cash. With the card you have to keep track of everything--okay if you're super good at doing that daily, but I'm not. With cash--when it is gone it's gone and you don't have to figure it out later. Using cash again and the stress is so much less--totally worth it.

Bre
Jun 29, 2014 Bre rated it it was ok
I only read this at the behest of my husband, who nagged me relentlessly for weeks.
I definitely learned some valuable simplistic info about investments, mutual funds, etc. And we are doing the 'debt snowball' thing right now.
Other than that, it was pretty blah, things that were already pretty well known, or just common sense. And holy crap, this guy is a sexist jerk. Yuck.
Jodi
Jan 20, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I didn't like this one as much as some of his other books that I've read. Might have been better if I had read this one first instead. Felt like a lot was a repeat of his other books and not as much on techniques I should be using. Overall though still some absolutely wonderful ideas to follow for getting out of debt.
Celese
Jun 18, 2010 Celese rated it it was amazing
I had thought this book would be a boring (but informative) read. It as both informative and very interseting. The author was not only funny, but honest. I loved it! So much good stuff!

I am excited to implement everything that I learned. This book included everything from a budget to investing in a personal, energetic, interesting way!
Marksnow48
Jul 21, 2008 Marksnow48 rated it really liked it
This is a wise, straight-forward book to guide you in financial adventures. A lot of it is quite simple but some of it is more advanced. I'd recommend this book if you're looking for some direction in your financial world. I'd recommend Mr. Ramsey's current book Total Money Makeover for a more in-depth approach to finance management
Claire
Feb 27, 2008 Claire rated it it was amazing
Great book to read on a variety of financial information - getting out of debt, staying out of debt, investing, becoming wealthy, and more. He is a Christian and does not hide that fact in his book. He was in Real Estate and was rich then lost everything and built his way back up to the top from nothing. I'm actually going to go see him in Kansas City in May!
Emily
May 12, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
The Total Money Makeover is awesome and empowering. This is Dave's older book and not as engaging. While the TMM is very specific and gives you a clearcut plan of action, this book is more general and I did not find it as helpful. Maybe if I had read it first I would of liked it, but I think i already got to the good stuff with his latter book.
Heidi
Nov 08, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it
Took the easy way out by reading the book instead of attending the actual class, Financial Peace University, that our church is offering. While the book is a bit out of date and the author spent a lot of time rehashing WHY Americans are so far into debt in the first place, I did learn a bit and was inspired to take some financial steps that I've been meaning to do for some time now!
Rhonda
Sep 09, 2009 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Wow. Loved this book. Simple common sense. Could Dave Ramsey run the financial end of this country long enough to get us back on track? Alexander Hamilton devised our financial system but he never intended for us to have this amount of debt! Waiting for Ramsey's "Getting America Back to Financial Stability" book.
Steven
Jan 12, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Dave Ramsey has changed our life. This book is very good, but I would recommend reading his newer book "The Total Money Makeover" because it has pretty much the same info with much more detail and testimonies that are super motivating. Even if your have no debt you need to read Dave's books. They'll change your marriage and life
Debbie
Feb 15, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
"Financial Peace" by Dave Ramsey is a highly motivating book about managing money and your life. I've listened to his radio show for several years and I finally picked up his book. The writing is folksy and simple, but the concepts make perfect sense. I'm going to give this book to the rest of my family. I highly recommend it!!!
  • The Laws of Money, the Lessons of Life: 5 Timeless Secrets to Get Out and Stay Out of Financial Trouble
  • Personal Finance for Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • The Complete Modern Blacksmith
  • Lost Animals: Extinction and the Photographic Record
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals; Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, and Primates
  • Honest to God?: Becoming an Authentic Christian
  • You Have What It Takes: What Every Father Needs to Know
  • Ordinary People, Extraordinary Wealth: The 8 Secrets of How 5,000 Ordinary Americans Became Successful Investors--and How You Can Too
  • Teaching Your Children Values
  • The Divine Conspiracy Continued: Fulfilling God's Kingdom on Earth
  • Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America
  • Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money
  • How to Succeed with People
  • Just Write: Here's How!
  • Architecture: World's Greatest Buildings, Styles and History, Architects (Eyewitness Companions)
  • National Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways
David L. Ramsey III (b. September 3, 1960) is an American financial writer, radio and television host.

More about Dave Ramsey...