Start by marking “Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy” as Want to Read:
Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy

Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • Thought leader, visionary, philanthropist, mystic, and yogi Sadhguru presents Western readers with a time-tested path to achieving absolute well-being: the classical science of yoga.

The practice of hatha yoga, as we commonly know it, is but one of eight branches of the body of knowledge that is yoga. In fact, yoga is a sophisticated system of se
Published September 20th 2016 by Spiegel & Grau (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Inner Engineering, please sign up.
Forked Radish Sadhguru has recently derided people with book learning as "idiots" when compared to those, of course, like himself, with real life "experience" (bunc…moreSadhguru has recently derided people with book learning as "idiots" when compared to those, of course, like himself, with real life "experience" (bunco and uxoricide?). Therefore, expect no science, aka knowledge, from Sadhguru, but only ego generated opinions.(less)

Start your review of Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy
Alok Mishra
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some readers have pointed out the book is incomplete. Maybe.
Some reader has pointed out he will seek a better way to live by himself. He should.
The same reader pointed out 'Science is empirical.' Well, why and how? What is the basis of science itself? Who approves Science? The same reader claims that Sadhguru has used 'Science' just to legitimize his 'Mystic' kriyas or theories. Well, dear Science, who approves your ideas? Science, at times, is a mere cult begging to be believed because it's j
Vanita Kataria
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was feeling preemptive separation anxiety towards the middle of the book, only to complete it and realize that the end is the beginning of unlimited joy! It's a must read for anyone who wonders why joy is not a constant, who wonders why there is sorrow in the world or who wonders what's beyond their body and mind.
I'm going to re-read starting tomorrow! It really is a guide to joy!
Yelda Basar Moers
"Your destiny is written by you unconsciously. If you have mastery over your physical body, fifteen to twenty percent of your life and destiny will be in your hands. If you have mastery over your mind, fifty to sixty percent of your life and destiny will be in your hands. If you have mastery over your life energies, a hundred percent of your life and destiny will be in your hands."

How can we can reach our full potential? I am endlessly curious about this question. As I explore, read books and ex
Himanshu Modi
This is my first real exposure to the phenomenon called Sadhguru. I had only briefly heard of him and thought of him as someone in the vein of Osho or Sri Sri Ravi Shankar... of whom I do not know much in the first place, I admit. My perception about all these folks was that they share life-philosophies without any religious propaganda and provide a mass therapy of sorts by identifying the common denominators of people seeking something more beyond what day to day life has to offer. I would love ...more
Sandra
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is Sadhguru’s instructions on how to improve your experience and the quality of your life, thus creating joy. Sadhguru is the founder of the Isha Foundation, headquartered in the hills in southern India It is a volunteer organization that guides individuals to have a spiritual awakening, thus creating joy.

In this book, Sadhguru discusses meditation, diet, physical exercise, ways of living, and various branches of yoga. He shares both funny and inspiring stories to get his ideas across.
C. Drying
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHY'D YOU READ THIS BOOK?
My boss gave it to me, and when your boss gives you a book, you’d better read it for brownie points if anything.

DID HE GIVE IT TO YOU BECAUSE HE THOUGHT YOU WERE JOYLESS?
Probably, but he’s also from India, and he’s the director of engineering where I work, so this book probably resonates with his being and is thereby received by me as a true heart-felt gift.

DID YOU LIKE THE BOOK?
I like the cover, the typography, and the writing style. Plus, I adore the many parables the
Greg Swierad
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inner Engineering is a book about technology that will help you achieve bliss by paying more attention to what’s going on within your body. I really enjoyed this book, because most of the things Sadhguru described are really practical. Well, the number of his followers from all around the world proves, that this book is worth the time to read it. Unfortunately, this book is not free of mystical things that have no scientific background (like chakras), so no 5 stars.

My top 3 favorite lessons from
Bhargavi Balachandran
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having attended Isha's Inner engineering program many years back, I knew what the book would talk about in a broad sense. Several weeks after the program, I remember feeling extremely calm and kind, to myself and to people around me. Over years, this intrinsic calmness paved way for noise and imbalance as entropy took over.. When I saw this book on Amazon, I knew I needed to get it. Obviously, the book is not effective as the program itself, but a great place to start. ultimately knowing the con ...more
Satish Sridharan
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A incredible self help book that will give you a lot of clarity about your body, soul and the mind. The book is written bearing in mind the contemporary, materialistic world and it's people. I read this book from time to time. Any random part of the book can be opened at any time and reading just a paragraph can give you a lot of insight and knowledge. A must have book.
Sanjana Meher
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many things stood out for me, I'm mentioning just a few here.

The book is in two parts, the first is more of theory about Sadhguru himself, what well-being is, what responsibility is and what it is not, and what yoga is. Through these chapters many concepts are broken down and redefined for me. This part of the book sets the foundation for the second half of the book - the more practical aspect.

In the second half, Sadhguru explains the body, mind, our energy in fair amount of detail, but in a sim
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
It's hard to sum this book up because in a way, it's good, in a way, it's terribly incomplete. It's like a jumble. If you're a complete COMPLETE beginner - then yeah, this will be useful. It explains a couple of things very well. But the problem is, it keeps jumping, changing tack or just telling stories that are a bit too random, in my opinion. Thoughts are not really finished up, conclusions aren't drawn. It's not that it's written badly - but it seems to lack a system. It's an inspirational t ...more
Kushagra Singh
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sadhguru says that the book's goal is to make joy your constant companion. For me, this has piqued my interest in Yogic sciences. I have already been initiated into Shambhavi Mahamudra(Through Inner Engineering programme offered by Isha Foundation) but this book has made me more determined towards my practices and learning more and more about this incredible science. I'd still perhaps refer "Three Truths of Well Being" and "Mystic Musings"(if you've a strong heart) before this book but still thi ...more
D
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
When pain, misery, or anger happen, it is time to look within you, not around you. To achieve well-being the only one who needs to be fixed is you. What you forget is that when you are sick, it is you who needs the medication. When you are hungry, it is you who needs the food.

Creating your own destiny does not mean you have to control every situation in the world. Creating your destiny is about steadily heading toward your well-being and your ultimate nature, no matter what the content of life
Irene Vincent
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sadhguru wrote this book in a flowing manner explaining a clear path to one's bliss. He is a true Mystic. If you are truly seeking to be a blissful highly functioning human being on this planet earth, I highly recommend his book.
Mehul
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I will recommend to everyone. Sadhguru's talks and his humorous points in between and his stories and sadhnas everything are just superb. Once you start reading it you will not leave it till end and apply the techniques given in the book to be more aware and step towards liberation. This book tells us only truth straight forward , no philosophies nothing just simple experienced reality. An amazing read. Be aware and separate yourself from accumulations from outside and go beyond ...more
S.Ach
In India, no matter what societal strata you belong to, which language you communicate in, whether you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, old or young, you can always find a "Guru", otherwise known as spiritual teacher or monk or Godmen or, simply God.

We all love to follow someone, that too, most of the times, blindly (though many of us would never admit that). We are too busy in our pursuit of making the ends meet, where is the time for self-discovery, introspection and doing our own re
Akshay Pai
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A phenomenal non-religious book on mysticism, yoga, well-being, inner peace, and more. It has been structured in two parts. The first part is devoted to making the reader understand the various processes in yoga and debunk myths. It also introduces readers to various dimensions and the non-physical experiences that are unknown to many. The second part of the book deals with the various aspects of what life is and gives numerous exercises and practical experiments for the readers to try and have ...more
Douna
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy part one of the book, but part two: the mind, body and energy is what I enjoyed reading the most - was very enlightening and introduced me to a very new clear dimension.

it helped me realize how to use the mind and body instead of being controlled by it, it was very healthy to understand that.

my perspective about the essence of yoga also matured and became clear why and how i'll include it in my daily routine.

“The accumulative part of the mind is, to put it simply, just society’s g
Roben
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wrote a piece on The Isha Institute in Tennessee for the Local Table magazine, a guide to food and farms in Middle Tennessee. This my preface after touring and reading Inner Engineering:

Life is uncertain - upon this fact consensus builds. Anxiety is ever present. God bless us all.
With a blooming awareness created by social media, we open to a "small world after all." And free floating suspicion that someone is going to best us hangs in the air.
Relief in the form of religion and government is o
Allysia K
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

This book gets into yoga philosophy in a really user-friendly way. It's full of stories and anecdotes to illustrate concepts, and the lessons contained are very profound.

It's divided into two parts - the first part is the map of the terrain (philosophy), and the second part is more experiential. Part two is further subdivided into the categories body, mind and energy, and discusses ways to optimize your life in these areas (with specific practices to try).

My favorite part abou
Santhi Swaroop Godavari
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If clarity of thought is an art, Sadhguru is the Picasso of it.
This book is not just a guide to Joy. If you are a seeker, striving to realise the meaning of your life and to make something out of it, this book can be your guiding light. This has to be read again and again, and the sadhanas have to be practised regularly to make the best of them!
Luke
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
Started out ok as a retelling of the author's personal enlightenment, and a call for us to take full control of our experiences and responses to all creation... many clever preacher stories and a few "this may sound like a self-help book but it's not"... and then it just goes entirely off the rails.
Phanindra
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I debated whether I should buy this book or not because I have read many of Sadhguru's books and articles and watched his videos. So I assumed I "knew" most of the stuff. And yes, the book is indeed a rehash from his lectures with little new material. But I am wrong in assuming that I do not need this book. I actually found that this book is a pretty good summary of Sadhguru's teachings and offers several new insights. It is really a "guide"!

The book started on a "wrong note" for me. In the int
Bragadeesh
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. This is divided into three categories that cover in depth about body, mind, and energy. The section about the body was the most fascinating and how one could extract the maximum benefit from it only when used in a certain way.
The stages of mind and the nature of was clearly explained. The final part - the energy may sound a fanatic and literally occult. But someone who has his energies aligned towards a path of transcendence, these are not
Antony Raj
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a wonderful book to improve the quality of life and understand inner working of the very source of the creation. Some of the practices mentioned in the book are immensely helping me already. It is the book for those who want to work from inside out. It can lead you to the path of enlightenment.
Sangharsha
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, e-library
Of late, I'm listening to Sadhguru's teachings (randomly, here and there on YouTube) and I find a lot of sense in his ideas. I am a meditation enthusiast, and anything that pulls me toward that direction gets my attention. Also a part of the book-club discussion, I started this book, as it was quoted as 'a guide' which, as the author explains, is:
"...not a sermon, but a science; not a teaching, but a technology; not a precept, but a path. It is now time to start exploring that science, working
Kriti Bhardwaj
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
As hard as I have always found it to listen to Jaggi Vasudev-a self-proclaimed "Sadhguru"- without cringing, I was eager to read this much pop-cult famous bestseller, overconfident of my ability to separate the author from the content of the book.

He begins on an autobiographical note which is full of subtle indirect pompousness at how enlightenment hit him without even trying. The only sincere narrations in the book are his descriptions of the various spiritual experiences he had, which, undoub
Simran Sharma (Craartology)
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Human nature is such that we always yearn to be something more than what we are now, there's always a longing to go ahead-grow in every realm of life. This book answers questions about this constant longing and the way it can be surged for personal benefit in a some simple ways through consistent efforts.

"Responsibility" something termed as a burden is simply the ability to respond- when/where/why/how/for whom is something that this book teaches.

True definition of YOGA and it's benefits are el
Tim
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heading East from my roots is I suppose my path of seeking - in both the metaphorical and actual sense. Sadhguru is just scratching the surface of yet another language for ultimate reality. Some of the themes that jumped out at me are the divine through the human which is a part of all great mystical traditions - the divine as here and now, not far off. Our personal responsibility - and this not up against some pre-conceived idea of "achievement" that seems to be associated with "personal respon ...more
Vowelor Books
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inner Engineering : A Yogi’s Guide to Joy is a book written by SadhguruJV, a mystic and a realised yogi. The Inner Engineering book focuses on how the ancient science of Yoga could bring peace, health and uplift a human. Sadhguru, the founder of Isha Foundation and the author of Inner Engineering book, has penned down his experiences and his encounters with life.

It is completely transformative and impactful book as he explains how he himself turned from a mundane boy into a young enthusiast. Sad
Givens Engineering Inc. 1 5 Nov 02, 2019 03:17AM

• Sadhguru: More Than A Life
  • Midnights with the Mystic: A Little Guide to Freedom and Bliss
  • Mind is your Business/Body the Greatest Gadget (2 Books in 1)
  • Autobiography of a Yogi
  • Mind is your Business
  • A Taste of Well-Being: Sadhguru's Insights for Your Gastronomics
  • Life's Amazing Secrets: How to Find Balance and Purpose in Your Life
  • JOY 24X7/Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev
  • The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • Kundalini: An untold story
  • Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
  • A Million Thoughts
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • Living with the Himalayan Masters
  • Freedom from the Known
Sadhguru is a realized yogi, mystic and visionary who has dedicated himself to the elevation of the physical, mental, and spiritual well-being of all people. He is an author and opinion maker who is regularly invited to speak at leading international forums. He has spoken at many prestigious global conferences such as World Peace Summit at the United Nations and the World Economic Forum.

Sadhguru i