Start by marking “The Free Trader of Warren Deep (Free Trader #1)” as Want to Read:
The Free Trader of Warren Deep (Free Trader #1)

The Free Trader of Warren Deep

(Free Trader #1)

Following the civil war on the human colonized world of Cygnus VII, humanity and its creations rise again. Free Trader Braden and his mindlinked Hillcat are plying the trade routes of Warren Deep when things start to get hot. Giving events time to be forgotten, Braden gathers engineered (mutant) creatures to him for a trip south of the Great Desert where he hopes to find O ...more
Published February 21st 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Free Trader of Warren Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Free Trader of Warren Deep

Start your review of The Free Trader of Warren Deep (Free Trader #1)
Clare O'Beara
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, cats, young-adult-sff
This tale is suitable for YA readers but adults who enjoy SF will be fine with it too. A lad who is a free trader, with his pal the telepathic hill cat, decides to cross the wide desert and see if there are better goods to trade on the far side, maybe ancient technology.
The story is a little slow to start as we get introduced to the situation. As the story progresses, a few more members are added to the little party, and battles occur, and our lad starts using more intelligence on problem solvi
Danielle Miller
Read this on a recommendation. Bits of it reminded me of David Gemmell, others of Larry Niven, and some of the old RPG world novelisations that I recall from my teens/early 20s (back in the 80s - do people still write those?). In all a bit too YA for me, although the main characters and general plot are fairly engaging; young, adventurous man making his way in a hard world by wit, charisma and calculated risk taking, his only friend a mutant, psychic cat. He embarks on a quest, gaining friends a ...more
James Dermond
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Free Trader Braden and his three sapient, mutated animal companions take a Hero's Journey across The Great Desert of Cygnus VII in search of the Old Tech of The Ancients. Along the way, the companions meet and befriend a young woman warrior named Micah who aids them on their quest. For older readers who enjoyed the pencil and paper RPGs Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World, this novel will bring back many welcome memories. For younger readers, The Free Trader of Warren Deep is a good introduction ...more
Dagmar
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The characters are easy to imagine, explained just enough so your mind has something to do to fill in the blanks. The action is smooth and continuous and surprising. I couldn't wait to turn the page to find out what happens next.
I look forward to reading the rest of the story (meaning book 2 and 3)
Scott Neil
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting premise: post-apocalyptic society of a colonized planet recovering from apocalyptic loss of society. Protagonist has a mutant cat for a best friend, and befriends other mutants and humans as he attempts to rebuild trade amongst the survivors.
Fun read with some interesting perspectives as to personal and societal priorities.
Collin Anglese
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine living in a world where technology was so advanced that people mutated animals in order to have humanity continue to thrive, only to be mostly destroyed by a massive nuclear war. Now, a thousand years later, Humans are still coping with the aftermaths of the war, the mutant animals that don’t get along with the humans after the humans tried killing them off. Free Trader Braden has been a trader his whole, going from district to district auctioning items off. Braden notices that strange ...more
Rosemary
The Free Trader of Warren Deep (Free Trader Series Book 1) - a review by Rosemary Kenny

*slight spoilers*I have long been a great fan of other series by the amazing Craig Martelle,(both as a solo author and in partnership with Michael Anderle etc) but I'm really kicking myself that it's taken me so very long to discover his brilliant sci-fi/post-apocalyptic/adventure/quest/expedition/overcoming the odds etc novel The Free Trader of Warren Deep (Free Trader Series Book 1), that I absolutely became
Sandy Chapman
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

Interesting story set on a planet that was transformed by humans from another planet. After developing much of the planet they disappeared and those that survived entered a dark age without technology and only vague knowledge of the Ancients who were responsible for their being on the planet they called vii. This is a story of a young human, Braden, who is bonded to a Hill Cat (or Hell Cat to most people) after saving the cat from drowning when Braden was a child and the cat a kitten.
Noodle The Naughty Night Owl
7/10: Good solid read, something to get your teeth into.

G-War took it as his personal mission to never let a female domestic cat in heat go unserviced.

A surprisingly good read. I hadn't thought a talking (mind-speaking) cat would work, but the author made G-War (or Golden Warrior) a brilliant addition to the story.

I enjoyed this quite a bit and am keen to read on in the series. It's clean and an easy read and still managed to hold my attention.

I'm already reading the next.

‘You are the best frien
Jack
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Reading!

Craig is a gifted writer and I’ve enjoyed all the books of his that I’ve read, so far. Free Trader looks to be a fun and entertaining series and I am looking forward to digging in to them. It’s nice to have a male protagonist for a change, Braden is likable and competent without being a macho ass kicker. The other characters are equally attractive and the story is original enough. I like the post apocalyptically genre. This book ends too abruptly but that seems common in the ebook
Ami
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed reading this fantastic adventure. It is the first in the Free Trader series and it filled with action, imagination, light-hearted moments and times fraught with danger. Craig Martelle has every reason to be outstandingly proud of this entertaining novel. The characters are incredibly well-developed and the world is fabulously described. I'd share more but I don't want to spoil it for you, plus I need to read book 2, NOW! I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it as much as ...more
Patrick
Fun for teens

Not bad for a teen adventure story. There's combat and a quest but it moves slowly anyway. The love angle reveals a dated middle age perception of affection and still has a MC who's the male-in-charge (reluctantly but by acclaim).

It's not bad but there's no character depth and teen stories don't feature development as a rule, so he gets a pass on that. The point of the quest is not what the MC keeps spouting but I'm not sure what the series is aiming at. I imagine that it's a retur
Amelia Nichole Defield
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, scifantasy, sand, 2019
For some reason, I thought this was going to be set on a space station based on the cover. I was delighted to find a sci-fi fantasy story in the vein of Dragon Riders Of Pern. The cooperation between the different creatures and their mission makes for an entertaining read. I love the back story of this world and how it is revealed piece by piece through the eyes of someone who does not understand the ancient tech. I am looking forward to exploring more of this world in the sequels!
Debbie Scott
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VERY GOOD DYSTOPIAN ( or apocalyptic if you perfer ) SERIES

A good start to a new series, with some excellent backstory as needed. The characters, both human and animal, reflect some very serious thought to how they would interact with each other. I have part two downloaded thru KU and cannot wait to read. Thank you for a very interesting read, Danny and Debbie Scott.
IMHO
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A Great story reminiscent of Andre Norton
( One of the Masters of Science Fiction ).
If you have not had the opportunity to read her work,
do so! Craig Martelle's Free Trader series should be a great
adventure as we follow Braden and his companions on their
quest for knowledge and trying to rebuild what was lost.
A MUST READ
RondoCelt
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a unique and very interesting story.

This is quite unlike any story I've read before. Character build-up and plot development was great. The storyline kept me hooked. Basically a "before the last great war" to "after...", you just keep reading to find out what our future may hold. What will we do if that time becomes us?
Joy Wilson
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the great characters Craig Martelle creates

I read, and loved, the Cygnus series first. Martelle did such a great job of world building that I felt compelled to explore more of its history. Wendy, thanks for your species input; I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each one. Ta! I'm on to the rest of the Trader books.
Marjorie R. Huse
Great reading

I absolutely loved this book. I loved the companions, and their interactions with each other. I very much want to read the rest of this series. This story kept me attentive to the end. Golden Warrior was a good cat, but wasn't always nice to his bond mate. I also liked Skirill, the hawkoid. And Aadi the tortoid. The companions seemed to work well together.
Lyle Nicholson
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. A trader who wanders a planet talking to some animals he mind links with. At first, I wasn't sure how to absorb this. Then, I just let the story unfold. Martelle is a good and entertaining storyteller. I couldn't put the book down. In the end, I wanted more of his stories. I'm sure that's what he was going for and it worked. A great job for any writer in any genre.
Mimi Davis Hopkins
Lost¿

This is a very well written and enjoyable story. If you are interested in going on a fabulous fantastic journey into the world of"is it possible"this is a book you would enjoy.
Stephanie Bolen
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-it
A solid hit

World building first rate. Plot was basic but well executed. Characters were great even the minor characters. Pacing was spot on. Writing was interesting with the descriptions, but the modern slang and nicknames were a bit jarring.
Melody
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Take a fairy tale, add a few elements of sci-fi, set in a pastoral world, give it an Andre Norton bit of mind magic and you have a whopping good tale.
I will definitely be reading more of these tales..
Preston  Dannelley
Companions galore

I love books with animal characters. I am a cat person in every way and have read many books about them, both fiction and non-fiction. I am very much enjoying this book and can't wait to get started on the next.
joseph w clouser
Good story

I picked this up on K.U. because I've read some of the Kurtherian books by the author. This first volume was not what I expected , it was better . Definitely a recommended read for fans of dystopian fiction.
Scott Snodgrass
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice new twists.

Recognisable character sheathed in new not human skins. Good character growth and development. Challenges recognized and overcome with determination an creativity. Quite the most entertaining read I've had in a while, well worth the lost sleep.
Carol DeVoss
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Post apocalypse is my fave genre

I liked this book. I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy so finding a new (to me) author is always wonderful. Interesting characters, interesting premise.
Karen  Byington
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
I enjoyed it. Good YA book but The main character was interesting and his companions were entertaining. If you like idea of intelligent life forms you will probably enjoy it. Check out the other reviewers because I agreed with them.
David Burgess
Interesting characters but it felt like there was no conclusion to this book. The narrative just ended, there was no climax or clear ending. Also, I didn't really care for how the dialogue was written... the book seemed very juvenile.
Cat-
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick short entertaining read. It’s interesting enough to make you want to keep going and the story moves at a decent pace. I am excited to see where Bradens story takes us on his quest for answers.
Eric Prater
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story,!

I liked this book it has a lot of heart. Well plotted, neat story line and a floating turtle does it get any better? Fun read didn't know which way it would go.

• Witch Of The Federation II (Federal Histories, #2)
  • Junkyard Pirate
  • Witch Of The Federation V (Federal Histories, #5)
  • Fear the Reaper (Last Reaper #2)
  • Blade of the Reaper (Last Reaper #3)
  • Ruins of the Galaxy (Ruins of the Galaxy #1)
  • Witch Of The Federation III (Federal Histories, #3)
  • Spacers: First Command
  • Tech Mage (The Magitech Chronicles #1)
  • Initiate (Animus, #1)
  • Spacers: Free Space
  • Payback Is A Bitch (The Kurtherian Endgame, #1)
  • CO-OP (Animus, #2)
  • The Last Reaper (Last Reaper #1)
  • ...Till It's Over! (Cole & Srexx #2)
  • Sanctioned (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #4)
  • Called (Kurtherian Gambit: Age Of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #3)
  • Void Wyrm (The Magitech Chronicles #2)
Visit Craig's web page, craigmartelle.com for the latest posts and updates or find him on Facebook, Author Craig Martelle. Send an email to craig@craigmartelle.com to join his mailing list for the latest on new releases, information on old releases, and anything related to his books.

I see my other lives, a career in the Marines, those damn hand-written tests in law school, a business consultant, a

Free Trader (9 books)
  • The Free Trader of Planet Vii (Free Trader, #2)
  • Adventures on RV Traveler (Free Trader #3)
  • Battle for the Amazon (Free Trader #4)
  • Free the North! (Free Trader #5)
  • Free Trader on the High Seas (Free Trader #6)
  • Southern Discontent (Free Trader #7)
  • The Great Cat Rebellion (Free Trader #8)
  • Return to the Traveler (Free Trader #9)