Start by marking “All the Weight of Our Dreams: On Living Racialized Autism” as Want to Read:
All the Weight of Our Dreams: On Living Racialized Autism

All the Weight of Our Dreams: On Living Racialized Autism

Delve into poetry, essays, short fiction, photography, paintings, and drawings in the first-ever anthology entirely by autistic people of color, featuring 61 writers and artists from seven countries. The work here represents the lives, politics, and artistic expressions of Black, Brown, Latinx, Indigenous, Mixed-Race, and other racialized and people of color from many auti ...more
Published June 19th 2017 by Dragonbee Press

To ask other readers questions about All the Weight of Our Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Weight of Our Dreams

Emma Sea
Mar 29, 2016 marked it as non-fiction-to-read
update june 2017: I have requested my library buy this now it is released.

brief article about this book here

Goodreads, please give me an option for push notifications for the release of books. Pretty please.
Mo
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a necessary, powerful anthology. I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

There's more authoritative info here: https://autismandrace.com/publicity/

I've tagged it as LGBTQIA\LGBTQIA-ish because there are quite a few pieces by queer and genderqueer writers in it. While gender and orientation aren't central themes, there's some great stuff there.

CW: violence, physical and emotional abuse of children, institutionalization, police violence
Martha
Autism is many things. But it is seldom what it is perceived by people to be. It isn’t a tragedy. It isn’t a ravaged life. It isn’t an entity that destroys lives. It isn’t a disease.
- Morenike Giwa Onaiwu

This is an important collection of essays, poetry and artwork from autistic women of color talking about how ableism intersects with other oppressions; particularly racism but also sexism and homophobia. There were three themes that I found particularly powerful:

I accepted his implicit judgment
Steph
A groundbreaking, essential book for everyone. Incredibly thought-provoking, emotional and informative.
Yuna
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a hard one to rate, because in an anthology this big not every piece in it is probably going to be to an individual reader's taste (nor should they be, imo). Overall, I found this book to be an interesting, sometimes depressing, sometimes challenging, sometimes happy/hopeful read. It has essays, short stories, poems, and art. Some of it is very critical/analytical, while some of it is raw expression/emotion.

Lots to think about after reading this.
Danni Green
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This extremely important and powerful anthology is already my most-recommended book of the year.
Claire
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really important book given that women/people of color are vastly underrepresented in the autism literature. I’ve recently been reading about how autism in women manifests somewhat differently (resulting in their under-diagnosis), but the most prominent accounts primarily feature white women. I was therefore very excited to find this complementary collection featuring many autistic women and men of color (including black and indigenous) authors/artists. A number of the contributors are ...more
Jo
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Genuinely one of the best and most important books I've read in a while. I particularly appreciated the sensitivity and nuance with which they approached Jewish autistic identity. I have seldom seen Jewish identity approached with anything close to nuance and it was so incredibly important to me to see the writings of autistic Jews in here.
Marcela
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An incredible diversity of viewpoints with pieces from people of varying ethnic backgrounds, sexualities and ages, even including a seven year old. A true work of neurodiversity and intersectionality though you don’t have to be familiar with either concept to appreciate this.
Pascale Scheurer
Jul 20, 2018
Sofia
Aug 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 119
Oh, autistic women of colour. Another day, then. Still cool this exists.
Nova May
Sep 11, 2018
solidad
Nov 16, 2018
Pamela Lock
Dec 16, 2018
Sarah Magni
rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2018