Start by marking “A Facet for the Gem (The Tale of Eaglefriend #1)” as Want to Read:
A Facet for the Gem (The Tale of Eaglefriend #1)

A Facet for the Gem

(The Tale of Eaglefriend #1)

When the mightiest eagle finally meets a rider worth carrying, a young man becomes a legend. Join all the readers soaring through this action-packed epic fantasy.

In a land of eagle-riding knights, bloodthirsty beasts, and a ruthless tyrant, young Morlen retreats from thousands of snapping jaws with the stolen Goldshard in his grasp. Its power to bestow strength and
Published February 25th 2016

To ask other readers questions about A Facet for the Gem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Facet for the Gem

Start your review of A Facet for the Gem (The Tale of Eaglefriend #1)
Fergus
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this one.
Just terrible writing.

The author continually put history lessons in the the mouths of every character. It feels like almost every scene has a character that presents a lesson. It feels like a device to give the reader background while trying to avoid lots of exposition. But it amounts to the same thing and it makes each character seem really artificial.

Basic formula:

Morlen meets stranger.

Stranger greets Morlen with:

Hello Morlen. I am x. Hundreds of years ago I did
C.M. Skiera
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, indie
An imaginative coming-of-age tale set in a vivid world rich with lore and fantastical creatures, C.L. Murray's A Facet for the Gem reveals a legendary battle of good versus evil. The desperate lad Morlen uncovers more than he could have ever imagined as he discovers his past and the root of the nefarious evil gripping the land. The Tale of Eaglefriend, Volume 1, is a well-paced, exciting, fantasy adventure.
Tammy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
From the first chapter of this book I was interested in the story of Morlen as he travelled to the city to sell his wares with an unkind caravan of companions. It was obvious that he had some sort of unique abilities however confidence was not one of them. This story moved rapidly and I found myself very much enjoying the premise of the Eaglemasters and the lore of the Blessed ones. I happen to like a good classic fantasy with good versus evil and this didn't disappoint.

At times there were some
Roderick
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good solid 1st book. The story was engaging and characters all likable. Although somewhat predictable, I still enjoyed it.
Jon
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
I'm rounding this up to a 3/5 since I enjoyed aspects, but really I'd give the book a 2.5/5. The concept of eagle-riding warriors was neat, but everything about the story itself was simple, cliched fantasy. Good guys vs. bad guys, evil artifact vs. good artifact, kingdom in peril, young outcast protagonist rising to the occasion as a Chosen One type figure, etc. With the hasty romantic tension thrown in at the end, the basic formula is now complete.

The writing didn't wow me with its
Miranda
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-owned
Been a while since I've read a fantasy book. I enjoyed this world and majority of the characters.
Kelly Graham
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid fantasy coming-of-age story, this one. I enjoyed the premise, and the writing--for the most part. The book reminds me of an epic cycle in which the forces of good and evil periodically skirmish in the lead up to epic clashes, again and again, and this tale tells just one of these countless stories. It has a Wheel of Time sort of feel to it, though the writer is less prone to over-describe as Robert Jordan was wont to do. I loved how he imagined The Isle, and how he took Morlen through ...more
L.E. Doggett
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I put a three and a half on this one. Remember I hardly ever give a five.

This one is a good read. The plot is followed well even though there was one thing that I wasn't quite sure about. How did the traitor get his people onto the isle? I don't want to say more and turn this into a spoiler. When you get that far you will understand my question.

The rest of it is very good The descriptions are among the good points as are the action scenes. There are twists to the plot which makes it more
Jans Margevics
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a lighter fantasy read. The story is based in the pretty generic setting (for its genre) where you get gleaming crystal swords, speaking animals, resplendent knights flying atop of giant eagles, dark mountains, you name it. It reads easily and has no issues with pacing. Book is full of action which in my opinion is written really well. My personal highlight would be the Felkoth himself. Dude is intimidating, cunning and fits well ...more
Bill Tillman
A Facet for the Gem

A very well done coming of age tale. Morlen and Roftome become a pair to draw too, Morlen a 17 year old who had lived his life as an outcast. Now Morlen seeks a mysterious island in the mysts where he finds supernatural lions who become his friends. His father a powerful figure, is on the island as well.
I haven't mentioned eagles yet a whole nation of the, humans called Eagle Masters. Morley becomes the first Eaglefriend to the largest eagle ever Roftome. Let the legends
Velma  Hayes
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just when you think you've read every plot, over and over again. CL Murray is a true storyteller from the times when we sat around the campfire and listened to our oral history. Hero's were grand but not boisterous or arrogant. Ladies fair did there own share of fighting and saving the world. Four-footed friends were always helpful and at our sides. I finished this tale, went to bed for a nap, and dreamed of adventures like these. A well done is not enough ... Awesome is closer.
Scott
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a good old fashioned good vs evil is just the ticket and this book "" A Facet For The Gem "" by "" C. L . Murray is that ticket . The main characters in this story grows on you the more you read and before you know it your wondering what's going to happen next as the story unfolds and you've lost time reading lol . And I haven't even mentioned riding Eagles . So if your looking for a good vs evil story look no further because you've found it so sit back and enjoy .😁😁😁😁
ReadBecca
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Facet for the Gem is a lovely all ages epic fantasy and a solid debut novel. It has a little bit of everything: a lifelong outcast who finds his way to becoming a hero, a very peculiar wizard, an awakened ancient evil, a princess who outshines her brothers as a commander, talking eagles, epic named weapons and items of power.
Sally Antiri
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable story-line and believable characters. After the first couple of chapters I became totally absorbed in the book and couldn't put it down. Definitely recommend if you are looking for something new and fresh in the fantasy world.
Jeffrey Juchau
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
EagleFriend

This is a classic good versus evil story. It is told very well, with eloquent prose and the ever enticing new discoveries. I recommend it whole heartedly and look forward to the next book in the series.
Mike
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice story. Enjoyed it very much.

Nice story. Enjoyed it very much . Pretty straight forward, good guys are good, bad guys are bad. A good Sunday afternoon read. Especially if you need to take a break from more complex novels.
Kerri  Woman
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was actually surprised at how good this story was. Most excellent coming of age fantasy. Geared for teenage boys. Who wouldn't want to ride on the back of a giant eagle?
Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

It was the cover of this book that hooked me, It is so vibrant and quite honestly, and for a self published book it is so darn professional looking I remember thinking this is an author who has put his all into this book. Now as we know judging a book by its cover can come and bite us in the backsides but in this case Im glad I did!

This is a strongly written epic fantasy novel, it has a tight structure and the story flows. The world building
Dave Higgins
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Combining depth of history and nation-spanning threats with a strong focus on character, Murray creates an epic fantasy without epic exposition.

Orphaned then shifted from foster home to foster home, Morlen has grown up an outsider, a position made worse by his exceptional competence as a hunter and forager. Only Nottifer, wizard-adviser to the King, treats him with any respect. When Morlens attempt to escape this life is thwarted by bullies, he is rescued by again Nottifer; but the wizard is
Epper Marshall
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic, adventure, ya
I expected a book like The Emperor's Blades, by Brian Staveley, based on the cover but this book turned out to be a disjointed, confusing tangle of a narrative. During scenes all seems to be written well then something will be mentioned that throws you off, that makes you second guess what's going on or where characters are in relation to one another. There were a few times a chapter jumped ahead in time and it took a bit to figure out. There is magic that doesn't have any clear rules except ...more
Ron
Mar 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I only finished this book because I needed a self-published fantasy book to complete a reading challenge, otherwise I would have stopped after the first chapter. I don't recommend it to anyone.

The prose is meandering and loaded with ten cent words, many of them misused, which led to more than a few sentences that didn't make sense. There are also a few typos and punctuation errors. The story is your basic tale of a poor boy with a heritage and power unknown to him who becomes a hero when they
A_MOTUS
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stop doing everything you were planning to do and rush to order your copy of this fantastic tale. Seriously this book as nothing to envy to some of the most popular fantasy saga. My only warning? You might loose yourself in the story and not pay attention on what's happening around you while you follow Morken into a skydive of bloodline, betrayals, families, royalty, history and feathers. Just add a bit of magic.
Jazmyne
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then, I look through my kindle and pick out books I would love to read again. It's been a while since I've read this story and decided it was time for another go at it. Mind you, I've read it three times. I am still amazed by this story! The flow and detail of this story were so amazing I feel as if I'm on the adventure with the characters!
Amanda Kern
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Good book

This is a good book. It is full of adventures and fighting. I really do enjoy it. The reason I gave it three stars was the fact I got lost in the story. I also had some moments that did not flow right with me. Give this book a shot.
Dionne
Great story!

I loved this story. So richly filled with adventure that I could not put it down. Morlen and Roftome were the perfect characters and I intend to read all of the books. Again, great story!
Mike Outten
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Good plot, good character development, good story telling. I enjoyed being swept away into this make believe world with likable characters (except for the villain of course). I WILL read the second book, once published.
sh(e)reader
This one grabbed my attention with the high reviews and the "If you liked Anne McAffrey's Dragonridgers series you'll like this ..." but unfortunately, it wasn't clicking for me. DNF. I made it to 30%, the first five chapters, but I don't feel like I can give it a rating.

It's not that I felt it was bad or anything, just not keeping my interest. It was just jumping around too much maybe? I know it needs to introduce all the various characters, but I was getting a little lost. Add to that, all
Chris Puntoni
Jan 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Predictable, trite retelling of every fantasy plotline, and overloaded with descriptive vocabulary often to the point of blathering nonsense.
Janeen Garner
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
From being almost an inconvenience to all around him a young man has no idea the path destiny has chosen for him. His name is Morlen and his journey will take him to places he had only dreamed of to becoming the one true Eagle Friend and leader of all Eagle Masters. Yes spoiler alert here..to finding his one true love...breathing as she does both in and out of battle. This book will take your breathe away as your begin the journey with Morlen. Learning to love each character, flaws and all was ...more
Ian
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

• Hand Made Mage
  • Forest Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #3)
  • Runic Apprentice (Rune Mystic, #1)
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
  • The Crafter's Son (The Crafter Chronicles, #1)
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Uncommon Rider (The Exceptional S. Beaufont Book 1)
  • The Buckle's Curse (Wizard's Helper Book 7)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • The Keeper Chronicles: The Complete Epic Fantasy Trilogy
  • The Gray Knight (Frostborn, #1)
  • Burden's Edge (Fury of a Rising Dragon, #1)
  • Early Years (The Beginning After The End, #1)
  • New Heights (The Beginning After The End, #2)
  • Beckoning Fates (The Beginning After The End, #3)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #1)
Charles Laurence Murray was born in 1989 and grew up in San Diego, California. He spent many days lost in the humming, spark-scattering clashes between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, caught up in a charge with the Riders of Rohan, and enthralled by the cadence and poise of Doc Holliday emerging from the shadows to face Johnny Ringo. When he was thirteen, he became obsessed with the idea of an ...more

The Tale of Eaglefriend (2 books)
  • Eaglebreaker (The Tale of Eaglefriend #2)