Start by marking “The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)

The Ruby Knight

(The Elenium #2)

Ehlana, Queen of Elenia, has been poisoned. A deep enchantment sustains her life, but it will end soon. Then Sparhawk, Pandian Knight and the Queen's Champion, learns where to get to cure for the poison. He and his companions set forth on a dangerous quest to find the antidote before the queen should perish and the peace ends....
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published November 13th 1991 by Del Rey Books (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruby Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ruby Knight

Start your review of The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
Dirk Grobbelaar
When provoked, Sparhawk was not the most reasonable of men.

The Ruby Knight is a direct continuation of The Elenium, picking up almost exactly where The Diamond Throne let off, so don’t let grass grow beneath your feet between books. That said, this book doesn’t have the same impetus going for it; it takes a while to build up steam, and there is a lot of moving around from point A to B to C. There and back again…

“I'm starting to feel a very powerful urge to hurt some people."

“The Younger Gods of
Christopher
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seaskew
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I never considered myself a huge fan of fantasy before I started this series. Yeah, I'd pick one up every now and again. Sure, I like some token fantasy books...but I never considered myself a hardcore fan.

I might actually hurt myself before the copy to the sequel to this book gets to my house in the mail. I mean it. Eddings defines the term cliffhanger in the most literal way possible. (view spoiler)
Danica
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are quickly becoming addicting and I can't say that I'm complaining. This one is even better than the first one. I think that it's partially due to the fact that the characters are more familiar to the reader now, and the story becomes even more compelling as it advances.

I have to comment once again on the beautiful way in which Eddings could spin a tale. Sprinkles of humour and compassion help to alleviate any tension or sorrowful turn of events that might crop up, and there's enou
Kat
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic
At this point, the fantasy genre has thoroughly explored the whole idea of "there ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys," and it's terribly refreshing to return to a world in which the heroes are stalwart, the villains are vile, the universe is orderly (in a fashion, if far wilder and weirder than any one philsophy can comprehend), and you just know that things are going to work out for the best. This series was among my favorites when I first started reading the genre, and I'm happy to re ...more
Athimar
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have finished yet another re-read of The Ruby Knight, Mr. Eddings' second novel in The Elenium. At the end of the last novel, Sparhawk learned that Bhelliom, a powerful yet dangerous artifact, is the only item capable of curing young Queen Ehlana of the poison the Primate Annias fed to her. The entirety of this novel concerns the search Sparhawk and his companions make for this powerful relic. Their path is a difficult one - they must try to determine its resting location as it was last seen o ...more
S.M. Carrière
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
What can I say? What was true for The Diamond Throne is also true for The Ruby Knight.

Eddings weaves a wildly entertaining tale, with a surly Pandion knight who is not precisely the model of chivalry you would expect as its lead.

There is something to be said for the style of writing. The first couple of lines had me thinking, 'This is so silly.' And it was, if I'm being coldly objective. Very silly. Yet all the same I was drawn into the world of Sparhawk and company not five sentences in.

As a na
Elizabeth Wallace
If I'd rated this book back when I first read it in the 90's it would've gotten five stars, no doubt. It's very fun, and Eddings had this talent for snappy dialog that's tough to beat.

However after rereading it lately, it's like he tried a little TOO hard to make it clever. Every time there's a dramatic scene it's like there are big arrows pointing at it that say "DRAMATIC SCENE! THIS IS A POWERFUL MOMENT." Sometimes it stops just short of being a parody. Maybe that's what he was going for, who
Bradly
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
Stephen Schmitt
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoying this series. I wish I had known about it earlier.
Refreshing to read a fantasy novel where there's no sudden betrayal by a character you thought was a good guy, and there's not an overabundance of moral grey area exploration. Just a good story about heroes, villains and an interesting pantheon of gods.
Rebecca
I thought this book was fairly enjoyable. The writing style is nice and simple so it was pretty easy to read through. The story is entertaining but I didn't think it was anything super amazing. I look forward to finishing the final book in the trilogy.
Peter Carrier
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A Bleak Quest Through the Bleakest Lands, as Told by Sir Bleaky McBleakerton, Bleak Champion of the Knights Bleak

Qualifier: Eddings knows how to entertain. His pacing is solid and his characters are enjoyable, if not always entirely relatable or believable. His tales are quick to consume, eminently enjoyable and great fun. But... there are other ways to present the rising of darkness in a fantasy world without beating the reader over the head by using the same word to describe said rising darkne
Liana
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO LONG AND DRAGGED OUT... AND SO. MUCH. DEBATING. I love and respect Mr. Eddings and all, but I never understood why all his books are like this. Hahaha. They're all twice as long as what they probably should be.

Still, this story was pretty good. 8)
Stacey
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Re-read after a decade away.
I did enjoy this series a lot back in the day, rereading it at least once a year, mostly because of the world it is set it. I have my ups and downs with Eddings' characters, but they could create fascinating worlds.
They've taken the 'sacred glowing blue orb' from the Belgariad/Mallorean and fashioned it into a 'sacred glowing sapphire rose' for this series. We also have the 'guiding mother sorceress' Polgara reshaped as Sephrenia, the woman who instructs the Pandion
Alexandra Engellmann
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: irritating
Damn, I've loved this series since I was 10, and I think it's the 4th time I'm re-reading it, but I find myself annoyed by this particular book. I guess I've outgrown it, but it's not just that. Too many things just don't agree with each other. Why can't a god feel a major magical artefact where it's lost in the world? Why can't they locate it with magic if they have two rings made from it as the perfect connection? It's the way magic works everywhere else, why is it so irrational here? (No matt ...more
Alice
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-series
Fantasy politics: the road trip. See the sights, tour the continent, brick up a woman driven crazy by a dark god in a tower - you know, the usual bro activities.

If you enjoyed the first book, you’ll enjoy this one. If you didn’t because it was too cliché then you won’t enjoy this one either.

I enjoy the clichés because it means I don’t have to work hard as a reader, and Eddings can focus on throwing tidbits about characters into the story without having to explain or show their basic characteri
Dani Lane
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Although I'm interested enough to finish this trilogy, I'm finding that the writing is annoying me. And I'm particularly disturbed by the women in the story (or the lack thereof.) It's like every woman is either a mother or a whore or completely deranged. The hero, Sparhawk, is singularly virtuous as concerns the women, but the little girl he championed into her pre-teens is now becoming an object of desire. But she's held in stasis in a diamond/glass encasement, so she's not a real character ye ...more
Josh
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was ok

Many series suffer from the "Sophomore Slump", and this is a prime example. It's a stereotypical trope of fantasy to tell stories in trilogies, but not all stories need a trilogy to be told.

Whereas the first book seemed to cram in as much information as possible, this one seems filled with pure filler. There is nothing really new here, just excused to drag the story on until the third book. Pointless side quests abound. The characters don't really develop any more, simply rehashing their stereot
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
David (& Leigh) Eddings is equal parts gateway drug and macaroni and cheese: it's basic fantasy, but so enjoyable, interesting if not astoundingly innovative, just fun, and it's just comfort food. I've re-read the Belgariad/Mallorean and the Elenium/Tamuli so many times since I originally devoured them in middle school. While I prefer the Belgariad, both series can just hit the spot.

The Elenium/Tamuli involves more political and religious intrigue while also being more 'knightly' than the Belgar
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
The epic journey continues.....

Loving that this book ends well without cliff hangers EVEN THOUGH its book 2 on a series.....

As always wells written. Mostly the same characters we met in book 1 since we certainly had enough names to learn from book 1.

I wouldn't suggest this book however if you haven't read book one. It is written more or less with the assumption that you have already read book 1. You would not understand some of the humour not be able to follow some of the plot if you haven't re
Enzo
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, magic, fantasy
David Eddings works his magic once again. Sparhawk and his companion troupe around the land in search of the one thing that will save his Queen. Will he finally make it. Along the way Eddings develops other charismatic characters and introduces more of his Church and of the different Gods that co-exist in this Universe. As bonus he leaves the reader at yet another cliffhanger. A must read!
Nicky
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Exciting, interesting. It'd help if David Eddings didn't write the same book over and over, though.
Josh
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to write a review for all of the Eddings fantasy series I liked. So, the Elenium, Tamuli, Belgariad, and Mallorean were awesome. All excellent series. Read them.
Jacob Aitken
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Despite a really dark section in the middle of the book, this is Eddings at his finest.
Alexandra
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read, read-in-2014
Angela
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

The Ruby Knight is the second book in the Elenium series by David Eddings. Even though this is a three book series, it really reads like one book, so I will be reviewing the series as such.
As I have mentioned before, David Eddings has always been a favourite author of mine, having provided many hours of epic adventures for me to lose myself in- so his books are amongst my most memorable reads, if only for happy and sentimental reasons. One of my reading buddies, my brother from another m
Parcoast
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
If there was ever a series where multiple books really seemed like one story, this is it. The action, feel, style, characters, and conflict all feel like The Diamond Throne never ended.

I like the buildup to the big reveal in the last chapter (avoiding a spoiler here.) I knew it was coming, having read this series before, but it still struck me. It was one of the main things I remember about the series from my first reading, and it seemed masterful then. It still is.

One issue I had was the ease
Juliana Veale
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's more of a 3.5, but Eddings' style and nostalgia pulls it up to 4 stars. Elenium is darker in tone and story to both Begariad and the Mallorean. The usual mix of stereotypes and cliches are present, you can almost see Polgara transformed into Sephrenia but there are a fair number of new characters to keep the books fresh.
There is more magic in Sparhawk's world, but greater magic carries a prices. This is brilliantly shown in the spell used to prolong the life of Sparhawk's queen at a cost o
Jigme Datse
This is one of those books that take a long time to read. In a way this was more of a savouring than, "it's hard to read." It is not exactly easy to read, but it's not really hard either. The writing is kind of, "deeper" than it can be to be easy. But a lot of easy to read stuff ends up being pretty, "flat" because it just doesn't have the vocabulary to make it interesting.

The story here was actually really good, and after having read the first book, it was a lot easier to get into it. But I st
Jacob
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from_library, fantasy
Eddings is always easy to read, and a lot of fun if you enjoy witty / sarcastic banter. This entry in the Elenium suffers a bit from being in the middle, where the wonder of a new setting has worn off but the story can't be resolved yet. It's basically the meandering quest format, where you have to be willing to be along for the ride, because there aren't a lot of plot-changing decisions to make here. The ride is entertaining and gripping, fortunately. Eddings has a lot of neat ideas, including ...more
Silver Stag Book ...: The Ruby Knight by David Eddings 1 3 Apr 13, 2015 07:54AM

• Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1 (Graphic Novel)
  • In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #1 (Wheel of Time, #1-3)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #2 (Wheel of Time, #4-6)
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2)
  • A Game Of Thrones preview
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master (Premiere)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • Dragons of a Fallen Sun (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #1)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings , was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he a

The Elenium (3 books)
  • The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)
  • The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #3)

News & Interviews

“It's really a very simple arrangement, little mother. He fully understands that either they get healthy, or he gets sick. That sort of encourages him to do his best.” 10 likes
“Sparhawk: Niye bizim gibi tam takım değil de basit bir örme zırh giyiyorsunuz? bizimkisi daha avantajlı olmaz mı?

Ulath: Nehir geçmek zorundaysan olmaz ve geldiğim Thalesia'da bir sürü nehir vardır. Örme zırhı nehrin dibindeyken bile çıkarabilirsin ama diğeriyle kurtulamazsın.

Sparhawk: Bu anlamlı.

Ulath: Evet biz de öyle düşündük. Tam takım zırh giymemiz gerektiğini düşünen bir eğitmenimiz vardı.
Kardeşlerimizden birisini örme gömlekle nehirden aşağı attık. Gömleğini çözüp yukarı çıkması bir dakikadan az sürdü.
Eğitmen tam takım zırh giyiyordu, onu attığımızda yukarı çıkamadı.
Belki aşağıda daha ilginç bir şey buldu.

Sparhawk: Kendi eğitmeninizi mi boğdunuz yani!!?

Ulath: Hayır, onu zırhı boğdu. Sonra Sir Komier'i seçtik.
Salakça öneriler yapmayacak kadar anlayışlı.”
3 likes