Start by marking “Void” as Want to Read:
Void

Void

A void in one’s memory is filled with more than the fear of not knowing; it swirls with the dread of what those missing memories might contain.
When a young man wakens in a freezing car, his mind a complete blank, he embarks upon a journey that brings that very dread to the fore.

Who is he?
What has he done?
Where does he belong?
Why can he not remember?

VOID: a psychologi
Paperback
Published January 24th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Void, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Void

Christine
Shelves: beta-read, indie
I want to extend my gratitude to David Staniforth for a copy of Void and the invitation to beta read the novel for him. The following review reflects my objective opinion of the book.

David Staniforth. People, remember this name. This one’s authorship stock is rising exponentially!

Void is the newest creation from the pen of Mr. Staniforth. His previous books have included a fantasy trilogy, a two-book (so far) second fantasy series, and a psychological suspense read titled Imperfect Strangers. I
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
WOW WOW and WOW

No Spoilers, you can read this review

WOW! OH WOW! I am left speechless. All I can say is to read this book you need to listen to the songs and read the lyrics while reading this book as the author asks, it will give you the true atmosphere in reading this book. It has given me goosebumps, and chills going right through me. I just want to thank David Staniforth for giving me this experience in reading this book. I am so touched how the music has moved me. I listened to every son
Norma * Traveling Sister
4.5 stars!

Thank you so much to David Staniforth for providing me a copy of this book.

VOID by DAVID STANIFORTH is an interesting, moving, unique, and a suspenseful mystery/thriller that I thought was an absolutely fascinating look into a psychological journey of discovery from our main character’s perspective through the help of journal entries and song.

The author does suggest that you listen to the lyrics of the songs that are mentioned within the book to enhance the journey you take with the
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Going into this novel, I knew it dealt with amnesia, but had little knowledge of the entire premise of the book. I’m glad I went in somewhat blind.

When Tom wakes up in his car, he is freezing cold, unsure of where he is. Worse yet...he is unsure of WHO he is. He discovers a journal he hopes will help him piece together his missing memory and reclaim his life.

This book reads quickly as you travel alongside Tom, driven to put back the pieces of his life and perhaps fill in the missing gaps along
Zoeytron
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not think for one minute this is just another amnesia tale. No sirree bob. I applaud the author for taking amnesia off the beaten path and doing something with it that I have never encountered. It worked.

A fleeting figment of a memory, a recurring nightmare, are they based on reality? Are they manufactured? What is the mind trying to share with its owner?

The opening is gripping, the pacing just right. Oh, and I loved the story behind the ugly monkey doll in old Mrs. Gaskell's home.
Maureen
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Thank you to David Staniforth for gifting me a copy of 'Void' in exchange for an honest review*

Can you imagine the bone chilling dread on waking up, to discover, not only that you have no idea where you are, but also that you have no idea WHO you are? This is how we meet our protagonist, a young man who wakes up in his car one freezing cold morning, in a place he doesn't recognise. He finds a journal in the car that attempts to answer some of his questions, but he's not entirely sure he wants
Sue
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VOID by David M. Staniforth is a psychological thriller/journey of one man’s struggle to deal with his missing memories. The title and cover of the book are perfect for creating the atmosphere for this novel. Music adds another important element to the story. I went into this novel with no concept of what to expect…but have come out a different person. Can our memories be really trusted?

“The sense of being in the wrong place, with absolutely no idea where the right place might be, is an unnervin
Brenda
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right now, stop what you're doing, and go get VOID by David Staniforth! It is an extraordinary book!! And as the author suggests, listen to the songs he mentions in the book. Listening to the music adds another dimension to the story.

For 51 weeks in each of the last nine years, Tom has lived an ordinary life. For one week, he disappears and can't remember who he is, where he is, or what he's done. This year will be different, but can he trust his memories? Are they real? Are they from a dream or
Jan
Shelves: 5-stars, mystery
You won't just read this story-you will experience it!

David Staniforth has hit the ball out of the park once again with a book that will stir all your 'senses'. With such descriptive writing, my mouth still waters for the hot, salty chips that the protagonist craves. I can see the hills, the gun stand, the dark tunnel. I hear the tick, tick of the bike wheels on asphalt. And last-I can hear and feel the music that plays such an integral part of this story.

But all of this is just a bonus, as the
Lisa
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Void by David M Staniforth is a mystery thriller that was very well written it also had a lot of psychological aspects to it which made the whole read a bit more twisty it was a quick easy read that kept me turning the pages.

A man wakes up freezing in a car not knowing his name why he was there & what he had done he had a journal to which he could find out about his past BUT DID HE WANT TO FIND OUT THAT IS THE QUESTION?? he finds out that he was going to get engaged to Penny but has not comm
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
What a great read!

I felt emotionally exhausted by the time I finished Void - in less than 24 hours because I simply could not put it down.

Void is one of those books that slowly ratchets up the tension until you find yourself completely immersed and oblivious to the outside world.

Trying to retrieve your lost memories is a bit (and I quote) 'like a lucky dip - you're always going to get something, but there is no guarantee that you are going to like what you get.'

Imagine waking up in the freezing
Debbie "DJ"
Oh how I wish I liked this one more! It really did start off holding my attention, and I was excited as to where it could lead. However, the writing was flat, and often I found myself wanting the story to get on with itself. There are lots of theories as to why the main character suffers from amnesia and why he disappears once a week every year only to return home with no memories. Not only does he have no memories of this, but also the first 19-20 years of his life. I felt the strongest part of ...more
Phrynne
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were two major high points for me in this book. Firstly the opening scene - what a great idea having a man waking up, freezing cold in his car with no memory of who or where he is. And then of course the event of finding the girl and the mother (not saying any more because I do not want to spoil the book for anyone).
This was for me an enjoyable and very informative book and some of the discussion about how we retain memories and how accurate they are was extremely interesting.
VOID (clever
Carol
"He can't remember.......She yearns to forget."

Not just another psychological thriller here, but a uniquely told story of memory loss that kept me guessing about our protagonist's real life right from the very enticing start straight through to the revealing emotional conclusion.

Pretty freaky not knowing who you are, to go missing for one week each January plus not remember the first twenty years of your life, but combined with fear of the unknown and hints of wrong-doing, made for an entertaini

Brenda
Phenomenal!!

The man woke in the front seat of the car; behind the steering wheel – as cold as ice with frost on the windscreen and a deep chill inside the car. Obviously he had been there awhile – but where was he? For that matter, who was he? Starting the car and cranking the heat to high was his first priority – searching the vehicle for evidence was his next. And when he discovered the lilac coloured journal in the glove compartment with an unfamiliar scrawled note on it saying “Read me – ple
Lucie
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gosh this one was cool.

I have always been fascinated with psychology, psychological disorders, human behavior, etc., so this book was right up my alley. The human brain is just fascinating and scary, all at the same time.

Come to think of it, that's exactly how I would describe this book, fascinating and scary. Tom Gardener wakes up in a freezing car on a hill, with no idea who he is or how he got there. He finds a hand-written journal in the glove box, and opens it to discover it was apparently
Sean Peters
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Who is he?
What has he done?
Where does he belong?
Why can he not remember?

VOID: a psychological journey of discovery that forces the question: To what extent can our memories be trusted?

A bloke wakes up in a car on a
Jean
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beta
VOID.The cover and the enticing blurb will beckon you to enter David M. Staniforth’s outstanding psychological mystery, Void.

A man wakes up in a car, freezing, not knowing where he is. Not knowing who he is. We soon learn, thanks to a journal that he finds in the car, that his name, apparently, is Tom. According to what is written in the journal, he has no memory of his childhood or teenage years. Incredible, yes. Even more mystifying is that evidently, he disappears for more than a week at the
Stjepan Cobets
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan of Fiction and Thriller
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
When a good book is concerned, and this is it, sometimes it is difficult to write a review so that the readers do not reveal too much detail. Writer David Staniforth brings us so elegantly in the story that we too begin to wonder what is hidden in the past of the main character of the book. I've always liked the good story, and this book has it, you can read it all the way to the very end. I have to admit I enjoyed reading this book. The premise of the story is simple and complicated at the same ...more
Janet
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Void is the second book under the 'thriller' umbrella I've read by Staniforth and what a book! I'm finding it difficult to write this review because I don't know really where to start.

Void is actually a brilliant title for the book. A 'void' has occurred in the mind of the main protagonist who wakes up in a car and can't remember why? Slowly tidbits are fed to the reader as we're thrown into the same void of blankness. How did he come about to be in the car and why? Clues are fed throughout and
Carolyn
This was such an interesting premise for a novel and worked so well. A man wakes up, freezing cold parked in a car, not knowing who or where he is. In the glove box he finds a journal supposedly written by him with a note from a woman he doesn't remember who claims to be his girlfriend Penny. He finds out his name is Tom and he lives in London, but has no memories of the first 20y of his life and for the last few years has disappeared for a week every January, eventually returning to London with ...more
Mary
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Dear reader,

Imagine,if you will,waking up in a car,dressed in a black crumpled suit,on a frosty night, the reasons for being there, unknown.

Then a creeping dread begins to enter your consciousness as you slowly realise that the pertinent question that screams to be answered is not where are you,why you chose this particular destination,but alarmingly,who are you.

In such a confused and disorientated state do you then discover a journal,enclosed within are photos of a man bearing an uncanny resem
sue
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When the author invited me to read this book assuring me it would be 'right up my street'. I was a little unsure because I have had lots saying this lately even in genres I don't read, but something made me take the plunge.

I have to say I nose dived into the book not really knowing if I would like it.

I can gasp in horror now because if not for the author I may have just kept this book on my Kindle as I had purchased this some many months ago, hesitating to read it.

Just imagine yourself in a car
Vera (GirlySunglasses)
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mystery, fans of psychologycal thrillers
4 stars

My reviews are usually very gut oriented meaning I talk mainly about the impressions a book leaves on me and what I feel reading it. I can't help it. A book, a song, a movie, a painting, any form of art has to make me feel something - good or bad.

The amazing ratings this book was receiving plus the theme - amnesia - caught my attention. Like many others, I read this book quickly, I was eager to find out along with narrator who he was and what had happened.

This is a well written, well pace
Wendy
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nov-16
"Void" by David M. Staniforth is a well-written, intriguing read!
A man so unsure of who he is, or was, awakens in a freezing car not knowing where he is. Upon discovering a journal in the vehicle, he learns this has happened before. It seems he has a happy life, a life he has completely forgotten. As memories emerge there is a sense of dread that possibly there are things he doesn't want to remember.
Not only is the story filled with thought-provoking twists and turns but the author has incorpora
Doina Condrea
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every single person ever
Recommended to Doina by: Sue
Void is a unique work of art that captures the journey of a young man who wakes up in a freezing car with no idea of who he is, where he is or what has happened to him.

First of all I'd like to thank Sue for connecting me with David Staniforth and the biggest thank you to David for sending me the book and giving me a chance to read it.

Second, I'd like to say that if you're looking at this book contemplating whether or not to purchase it...Do it, do it now. Do yourself a favour and do it.

I full
Petra
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Void gripped me from the first page. A guy wakes up in a car and has no idea how he got there or even who he is. Stories of amnesia are plenty and quite often have that Lifetime Movie feeling. Fortunately, that wasn't the case here at all. Void was clever, and the title is actually perfect.
How do you know what is a real memory? How easy is it to implant false memories?
Void was a totally enthralling journey of discovering two people's pasts. I really enjoyed how the author linked music and memor
Faouzia
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favourites
I was hesitating how to start my review, i wanted to find the right words to express how i really felt while reading this book, and most importantly to find the right words to do it justice.
I already read all the books by Mr David M. Staniforth and i loved all of them. I was eagerly waiting for this new book and i was sure i'd love it.
And i did!!!!!! It was amazing. The cover already captivated me and the note to the reader was even better and i was ready to dive into this story.

So, Imagine you
Elaine
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
A young man wakes up in a freezing cold car, he has no idea how or why he's there. Looking around for some clues he comes across a journal.....
Please read me...........
 photo keeping-a-diary-gif_zpsl6xba6d1.gif

As the mystery slowly unwinds, you find yourself totally caught up in the experience.
Which is why I'm being very vague with the storyline.
It was different to what I expected but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

photo 635984908983951098-1569430038_635983609137879094-1324678832_16202_zpsufteqcq0.gif
Complimentary Copy provided by David Staniforth in exchange for an honest review
Perri
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Staniforth is hitting his stride with this latest story and maturing as a writer. I was sucked into the enigma of how a man forgets the first 20 years of his life, and even more intriguingly, blacks out for a week they same time every year. The resolution to the mystery was not as satisfying as the quest, but I really liked this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
  • Here We Lie
  • Dead Silent (Calladine & Bayliss, #2)
  • The Good Mother
  • The Fire Child
  • Fate's Betrayal
  • Lost in Solo (A Perfect Match #2)
  • White is the Coldest Colour (Dr David Galbraith, #1)
  • When the Serpent Bites (The Starks Trilogy, #1)
  • Blink of an Eye
  • Filthy
  • The Hunter Inside
  • A Time to Run (Constable Sammi Willis, #1)
  • Post Mortem (Collins and Griffiths, #1)
  • Colour Studies
  • The Last Victim (Ryker Townsend FBI Profiler #1)
  • The Boy Who Shoots Crows
  • Dark Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen, #1)
I’ve been inventing stories as far back as I can remember (mostly to keep me out of trouble), but began writing seriously after finishing an English studies BA as a mature student. My writing is influenced by so many things: a love of reading all genres; films; music; raising my two daughters; hill walking; and much, much more. I tend to take all I know, throw it into a setting and see what comes ...more