Start by marking “Final Vows” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  468 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The shocking tale of a felon, the woman who loved him, and an unspeakable crime--from the award-winning author of Missy's Murder. This electrifying chronicle recreates the chilling events that led up to the murder of Carol Montecalvo and takes readers inside the courtroom for the shocking trial of her husband Dan who, four years later, still professes his innocence. Photog ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Final Vows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Vows

April
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this recently and decided to read it because I enjoy Karen Kingsbury novels. As I understand it this was from the beginning of her writing career. It held my interest, but there needed to be an update on the case. I had to Google to find out he suspect died in prison without a re-trial or resolution. I saw the case was featured on Unsolved Mysteries at one point. An extra chapter explaining this would of been more fulfilling.
Joanna  Weiss
Just ok

It was more like reading a documentary ban a suspense or mystery. It felt very stiff, exactly like reading a report of facts from a reporter with no bias or emotional connection. Love her other books but I’m glad she did not write more than 4 of these books.
Rebecca
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 out of 5 stars. It was interesting reading a book by one of my favorite authors when I am so used to her writing a completely different genre. Knowing this book was a fictionalization of a true story was truly disturbing.
Anne
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Murder mystery isn’t really my thing but this is an interesting story. There were a few times that chunks of details were overly repeated but that’s forgivable —writing a book is hard!
Brenda Connors
Was not hope filled

Left me sad and angry that an innocent man did not get justice. I read with a heart filled with hope, but they were crushed in the end.
Irene
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great true crime mystery, but I didn't understand the ending.
Deloris  Mercer
Ok

I don't really know what to say that would be good about this book.
It is not like any of the stories by Ms. Kingsbury that I have read.
It is just not my kind of book.
Enigmaticblue
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy true crime, and this was an interesting case. I do wish there was an update.
Dana
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
Before Karen Kingsbury started writing Christian fiction, she was a newspaper reporter for the "Los Angeles Times" who covered prominent crimes. She wrote four true-crime books including "Final Vows."

This is an incredible tale of Don & Carol Montecalvo who met and married while Don was incarcerated. After almost a decade of marriage, while Don is plagued by gambling debt and Carol has over half a million dollars of life insurance, Carol is murdered. The police say Don killed Carol, while Don
Becky
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting book written early in author's career as a news reporter for the LA Times. BUT.....why did she not add an update on the case? Did the accused and convicted remain in prison? Did he ever file an appeal? She wrote an update on her career changes but no update on the book. Ridiculous!! The writing and story were 4 star but I gave it only three due to the incompleteness.....no update included.
Kathy Humphrey
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

I chose to give this book four stars,while it was true, it was not a riveting read. Ms Kingsbury does a great job of setting the scene, developing the characters and stating the facts. But, it was just too detailed.
What this story, this very real murder did, was teach me some character flaws can never be overcome in the eyes of justice.
Anne
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Kingsbury was my mom's favorite author, and do it interested me to read a true crime novel written by a well-known Christian fiction quiet. It was well written and interesting, but I'm ready to go back to my happy ending books. I did enjoy reading it as a former legal Secretary. Brought to mind all the frustrations of trying to help a client and not being able to.
Linda Brueggeman
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Final Vows

This was a good story, but I feel an additional chapter should have been added to update the ending and tell the reader the true ending. I'm curious as to what happened to the characters, since it is a true crime novel, that could have been written to satisfy me.
Etha Carson
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True crime drama

The documentary concerning the life and death of the victim, the investigations and murder trial relates the web of truth, fiction and inability of man to reach the clarity true justice requires even while earnestly working and searching for truth.
Dawn Traylor
good

This was a good book, but the storyline was continually repeated over and over so it became repetitious. Unfortunately, the ending didn't give a wrap up either so that you know what the final outcome was.
Cindy
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard book to read

This book really left me wondering if Dan had indeed killed his wife or if Suzan had something to do with it. It's a sad story and I found myself wishing I could talk to Carol and prevent her from mistakes she had made.
Frederick W. Goodling
Good read after slow start

I enjoyed the book immensely but it took me a while to get into it. At first I did not understand why all the background on all of the characters, but as the book progressed I saw the benefit. sad ending, but it depicts real life.
Margaret Fraleigh
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: karen-kingsbury
This is one of Karen's first books - I have now read all four of them.
They are books she wrote early in her career of writing novels.

This I believe is a true story.
Kathy Neumann
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read

I enjoy reading a novel based on a true story and this is a good one. All four of Karen's crime novels are worth reading.
Ray
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well written though heartbreaking. True story. I don't recommend.
Joleen Devens
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
O
Denise Marie Haws
Good read

Good book, enjoyed reading it. Ended in sort of a funny way. I Will read something by her again in the future
Amanda Carruthers
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
The ending comes very fast and the whole book is really drawn out.
Anna-Kate
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down, but I was disappointed at the ending!
Kristina
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love crime stories such as this. However, I still wonder what happened to Dan and if justice was ever served. I felt the ending of the book just left me hanging.
Judy L Farris
Jacqueline Jansen
Jul 10, 2014
  • Someone's Daughter
  • The Golden Willow: The Story of a Lifetime of Love
  • Starry Night (Christy Miller, #8)
  • Soul Restoration: Hope for the Weary
  • The Grand Scheme
  • Halfway Herbert
  • A Man of Honor (First Responders #3)
  • Poisoned by Gilt
  • Season of Blessing (Seasons, #4)
  • Silent Witness: The Karla Brown Murder Case
  • Cold Storage
  • Crimson Stain
  • Fortune's Bride (Brides of Montclair, #3)
  • Against Her Will: The Senseless Murder of Kelly Ann Tinyes
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. Her Baxter Family books are being developed into a TV series slated f ...more
More about Karen Kingsbury...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99