Start by marking “The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder” as Want to Read:
The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder

The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder

(Lizzie Miller #1)

A fast-paced, breezy read about life at the bottom of the Hollywood food chain

No political science degree could ever prepare Elizabeth Miller for her new job as a second assistant at The Agency, whose clients include everyone you’ve never met—but you know who they’re sleeping with. A former congressional intern in Washington, Lizzie made a bid for a life change that landed
Published March 1st 2005 by Plume Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Assistant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Assistant

Christy
Have to say that when I first started this book I didn't think I was going to finish it. It seemed shallow and the hatefulness of some of the characters just put me off. But being me, I kept reading because I always hope it will get better and because I have to know what happens even if it doesn't.

So glad I continued on because it did get better. It was still a bit shallow and full of unredemptive characters; however, I really loved the main character. And I was so glad she got her Hollywood end
Suzanne
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Eh
This book was eh. After The Nanny Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada, it was very been-there-done-that. Maybe I should write an fictionalized account of my years spent as a camp counselor...
So.... I knew this wouldn't be a difficult read, but I was a little suprised that pretty much every single one of my premonitions about where this book would go, came true. I had only bargained for half.
Lizzie is balancing on a fine line between being a likable character and a complete imbecile.
And unfortunately I have this "thing" about obviously pretty women complaining about how plain and ugly they are, and Lizzie is is there sniffing at that "thing" like it's a LBD on sale. She's got SO MAN
Ange H
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Light, breezy and entertaining with a likable heroine. This was a fun fantasy of what it would be like to be young, pretty, and smart - and working at a high powered Hollywood agency.
Katie
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I surprisingly really liked this book.

I was drawn to the story by the fact that, even though there are more important things in the world,I really enjoy the movies. It is always interesting to imagine what life would be like in the "glamorous" world of Hollywood. This story seemed to offer a backstage pass. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

After reading it I can say that a lot of the characters and situations were cliche and based on a very superficial and, if I can be honest, quite revoltin
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Definitely one for by-the-pool or while lounging-under-the-summer-sun kind of light reading.

In the tradition of "The Devil Wears Prada" the now painful truth is re-asserted: that working for the rich/powerful/glamorous can be torturous & definitely not what it's all cut out to be.

Elizabeth Miller gives up an idealistic job as a Washington senator's aide to join the Agency, a super-powerful Hollywood outfit that represents stars, producers and directors. The young L.A. newcomer may not be a
Erika
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
It took me I guess over a month to read this book. I just couldn't get into it. It felt like a lot of short stories made into chapters at first. No continuity to anything. Then about 200 pages in, it was like going downhill on a rollercoaster. I thoroughly enjoyed those last 160 pages, but i couldn't believe it took me that long. I am going to give these ladies another try with the follow-up next. Hopefully their writing skills got a little better.
stephanie
Jun 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
classic tale of young idealistic girl who goes to hollywood and finds herself both in over her head, in love, and totally confused about whether she wants to stay in hollywood or not. the ending is too cheesy for words, but lizzie's a cool character. the writing just isn't as good as it could be (and the sequel is much better).
Kristine
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it
The bleach-blond sun-drenched version of The Devil Wears Prada. While the topics here have been skewered before, theyre so deserving in my mind (especially since I live in LA) that I enjoyed the mindless romp anyway. ...more
Diah R
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, feminism
What is it about:

Lizzie just changed her work field from politics to entertainment, working as a second assistant to Scott and The Agency. Hollywood is all new to her and she had to juggle her new environment, unhelping coworkers, backstabbing acquaintance, weird boss, even weirder president of The Agency, handsy clients, and possible love interest(s). Could Lizzie stay sane despite them all?

What I like about it:
Definitely not your run-in-the-mill Hollywood novel. I mean, yes, it's quite glamoro
Judy
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good book; I can't say it was great. The storyline was what you would expect of a Hollywood agent's (second) assistant. It had the egos, the drugs, the cheating, the failing marriages, the overbearing character(s), the exclusive parties, the back-stabbing, the letdowns, the overworked underlings, the striving (and starving) writers, the flings, the office in an uproar, the mistakes by the lower echeleons that could never, ever, ever be rectified, the collosal amounts of money that are ...more
Amy
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had been on my shelf for years and I mostly read it so I could take it off. It was actually better than I thought. The beginning was a bit rough because the story seemed so trivial but I like how it was written and appreciate the dry humour.

One part especially made me laugh out loud. ‘Luke looked at me like I’d just fallen down the stupid tree and hit not only every stupid branch but every stupid squirrel and every stupid leaf on the way.’

It got better as it went and I loved the endin
Lisa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
Actually pretty well written. As expected the story was a bit vapid and predictable but entertaining enough for a sick day home from work. The main character is a bit underdeveloped and the ending is a bit rushed to tie things into a nice bow but not remotely close to the worst I've ever read. If 'chick lit' is your preferred genre this is solid.
Christi Evans
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute! Think "The Devil wears Prada." Funny thing is that while I was reading this book, the whole "Harvey Weinstein" story was breaking & there's a lot of that in this story. "Man whores" !
Anyway, the lead, Elizabeth, resonates with all of us at some point. The end guides you to their next book "The First Assistant " if you're so inclined. Just good entertaining Chic Lit =4 stars
Jessica Perez-Beardsley
It was similar to The Devil Wears Prada, with the exception of the boss *almost* being a likable character. It seems like there was a missing PUNCH in the story, and the "takedown" or whatever they called it was not as climaxed as it could have been.

Hopefully The First Assistant brings that climax that I was searching for in this book.
Amanda Alexandre
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Devil Wears Prada set in Hollywood. It is fun, if you are in the mood for it. I related a lot to the protagonist, even though sometimes the author relied too much on the artifice "let's make the MC make decisions for the wrong reasons for comedic purposes".
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
quite engaging and witty read with some very wry observations about the bizarre world of hollywood. The story moves along well and the characters are fairly amusing if sometimes a little too shallow. All the same this was an enjoyable beach read. September 2004
Christie Cox
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading this and getting a glimpse of Hollywood
Tracy Warner
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun read, not a lot of substance.
Amy Coxe
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny read
Doris Weaver
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this sequel. Lot's of humor and sexiness. Naylor continues to give readers just the right amount of laughter, sass, and romance!!
Lynn
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Hollywood mini-me version of the Devil Wears Prada.
Erin
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just cute. Not a ton of substance but a fun, cute and cheery beach read that keeps your attention
Sequoia
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
The reason I couldn't finish this is that I was 40% in when I realized... it's not engaging. It's like a bunch of stories glued together and calling it a novel. Nothing flows. Every chapter is disjointed compared to the previous, or next. Maybe the story gets better after the 40% mark, I don't know... It' just not worth it to read though.
Claire
It wasn't entirely the book's fault I didn't finish it: I made it to page 254 before I left on a trip that I could not take this hardcover along. I was pushing myself to finish but, truth be told, after a book of different characters, I no longer felt compelled to find out what happened to the characters, whether the movie would be made, etc. I think I would rather move on to my next book than return to this one.

I am lucky in that the problems with structure that led to this book's downfall show
Kara Jorges
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This is definitely the same Hollywood Jackie Collins has written about, but from a much different perspective. It’s the story of Lizzie Miller, who has barely begun her career in politics before it ends, and she winds up by a fluke working for a Hollywood talent agency. She’s the second assistant to Scott Wagner, agent to the stars, and spends her days learning the ropes with drug-addled bosses and vile coworkers, and her evenings discovering the joys of spiked drinks with oversexed Hollywood sl ...more
Emily
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, chick-lit
Elizabeth is thankful for a new job and a new start, moving to Los Angles to be a second assistant to Scott, a young Hollywood Producer, when her job as congressional intern comes to an unexpected end. She has alot to learn in Hollywood, as there are a whole new set of priorities and social structure that Elizabeth has never heard of or considered before. The plot follows Elizabeth through her tasks as she learns, what she has to do, what she is expected to do, and what she really wants to keep ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • Fashionistas
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • Wolves in Chic Clothing
  • The Ivy Chronicles
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
  • The Starter Wife
  • I Do (But I Don't) ( Crandell Sisters, #1)
  • Accidental It Girl
  • Hollywood Car Wash
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • The Smart One and the Pretty One