Start by marking “Zero Bugs and Program Faster” as Want to Read:
Zero Bugs and Program Faster

Zero Bugs and Program Faster

A book about programming, improving skill, and avoiding mistakes.

The author spent two years researching every bug avoidance technique she could find. This book contains the best of them.

If you want to program faster, with fewer bugs, and write more secure code, buy this book!
Published January 1st 2016 by Kate Thompson

To ask other readers questions about Zero Bugs and Program Faster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zero Bugs and Program Faster

Start your review of Zero Bugs and Program Faster
Jeanne Boyarsky
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
I saw “Zero Bugs and Program Faster” at the public library. It caught my attention because the book cover is a maze. In fact, the author invites you to try it. I can't because the library puts stickers on that interfere with the path. But I believe that it works.

The book has two halves. One half is 1-4 pages chapters. Most are 2-3 pages so when I hit the four page chapter, it felt long!

The stories and analogies are good. I liked the one about programming being like plugging boat holes; it only
Jordan Carney
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I love the brevity of this book. It exposes a different writing style than an ordinary technical book: Funny stories and dialogue between hypothetical people. The flow is great, but it seems to follow the standard blueprint of many catch-all programming books. I would recommend this over many of it’s predecessors though.
Vu Tran
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comp-sci
A very quick read for anyone who codes for a living (or just for fun). Building software doesn't mean you're always writing optimal code for machines. The author renders many different areas in which you can approach maintaining your codebase in small to large scale projects. A great pick-up for anyone who has a weekend to spare.
Joe Heaukulani
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light philosophical look at programming that focuses on fixing bugs as soon as you find them and doing your best not to introduce bugs in the first place. Kate Thompson makes me want to dive into many of the book she references.
Khayet
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Perfect bedside reading for the passionate programmer. Funny, interesting, and extremely readable. This book makes you appreciate programming more. Also has a great Bibliography.
Joshua Isaac
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Really loved her non-traditional approach to writing a book on programming technique. I can't say that I'm writing zero bugs, but she shares some good practices and interesting examples.
Daniel Nishi
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
A very succinct book. Very readable. The advice isn't ground breaking, but is presented very well.
David MacIver
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely little book. I'm a little too part of the choir to have changed my behaviour on the basis of it, but I wish someone had handed it to me ten years ago. I'd have disagreed vehemently, but I might have come to agree vehemently a bit sooner. Would recommend to the person in your life who keeps breaking the build.
Helge
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
It's a short and entertaining read, touching briefly on a lot of topics from team communication to proof assistants. It's not so much for you to learn a lot about each of the topics as much as to provide orientation on what technologies and philosophies there are to help you improve your code.
Ignacio Burgueño
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would pick "Code Complete" by Steve McConnell over this book any time. Lots of "trust me on this", nice stories, but little actual data to back things up. Yes, it is an easier read than Code Complete, but at the end, you'll have the feeling that you have wasted your time.
Michael Dominick
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read. It has an entertaining flow that you don't often see in a technical book.
MM Zeeman
Kyle Pace
Sep 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Absalom, Absalom!
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • Domain-Driven Design Distilled
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • The Cherry Orchard
  • Programming Elm
  • Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2)
  • Clean Architecture
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Reactive Design Patterns
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
  • The Visit
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Kate Thompson is an award-winning writer for children and adults.She has lived in Ireland, where many of her books are set, since 1981. She is the youngest child of the social historians and peace activists E. P. Thompson and Dorothy Towers. She worked with horses and travelled in India before settling in the