Start by marking “Get Ready for CSS Grid Layout” as Want to Read:
Get Ready for CSS Grid Layout

Get Ready for CSS Grid Layout

Move out in front of the curve and learn how to use CSS Grid Layout today. Learn exactly what you need to know, from line-based positioning basics to evaluating template areas, with a detailed explanation of the new spec. Rachel Andrew guides you through experimenting with the grid and understanding browser adoption, and provides working examples to tinker on, so you can s ...more
Published January 7th 2016 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Get Ready for CSS Grid Layout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Ready for CSS Grid Layout

Eystein
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: css
I'm giving this book 4 starts only because I read it too late. It was absolutely a 5 star book when it came out. But now (2018) there have been a couple changes to the spec. Especially that we now have grid-gap, something which almost every example includes a wordy work-around for. That said, I still learned a lot, and had more pieces fall into place. CSS Grid covers an enourmous surfuce, and for a book this short it does a great job of covering it. The author, Rachel Andrew, is also my go-to fo ...more
Melanie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-design
A bit late to the game in getting to this book, however, I finally carved out some time to start looking into CSS Grid and for that reason alone, this book is a very nice introduction into understanding the basic ideas and syntax behind its usage. Looking forward to starting to implement more grid layouts moving forward.
Miikka
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice, easy-to-understand introduction to CSS grids. However, the book was published in 2016 and it's now slightly out of date in 2019. If you're experienced with CSS (esp. if with Flexbox) already, before reading this book check out A Complete Guide to Grid and see if that's enough for you.
Clive Walker
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good but rather short summary of CSS Grid layout methods.
Amy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I sprinted through this after watching a grid course on Lynda.com. It's good to read an expert, but better to see code examples and layouts in stream.
Jeff Bridgforth
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Helped me get up and going with CSS Grid.
Scott
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Though I have finished reading this book, it may be a reference for the years to come. It will become more clear with the spec is released soon. Great practical read. Recommend it for anyone who wants to stay on the cutting edge of web design/front-end development.
Mateus Pinheiro
Адлет
Jul 02, 2019
Robert Thompson
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a bit disappointed, not by the book but by the reality that the spec is only now, fully being implemented in browsers. This is more than a full year since the books publication or maybe 2 since the author began writing.

Any front-end designer will tell you that such is the pace of CSS spec development. As it stands I really won't be able to begin using this in production soon.

That is the rub.

Rachel Andrew makes her case and it's not even hard to do really, why Grid Layout is the future of C
Tanja Gomilar
Aug 09, 2018
andres ibarra jensen
May 03, 2017

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Rachel Andrew is a web developer, speaker and author who lives in Bristol, UK. She is the editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine.