Start by marking “Lessons in Loving” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Loving

Lessons in Loving

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Wanted: Governess. Properly qualified in English, to instruct male pupil in rural location.

Sydney, 1902. Desperate for a job, Kate Courtney travels to the faraway New England Ranges to interview for a governess position. She is greeted by wealthy landowner, ruggedly handsome Tom Fortescue, and is shocked to find that her new charge isn’t a small boy—but the grown man.

It wa
Published January 25th 2016 by Escape Publishing - Harlequin Enterprises, Australia Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in Loving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in Loving

Brenda
Eighteen year old Kate Courtney had just received her teaching qualifications and all the certificates that went with them – now she needed a job. Sydney, Australia in 1902 – even her mother said she should just get married and have children. But Kate had recently heard the vital tones and words of suffragette Vida Goldstein at a lecture in Sydney’s Town Hall; her inspirational speech meant Kate was determined to become an independent young woman. It was the way of the future…

A note on the notic
PattyMacDotComma
3.5★
Australia, 1902

Farmer meets posh girl
Farmer hires governess to civilise him
Farmer and governess determined to stick to script and stick to business

But we know better, of course. McAra has provided a handsome backdrop in the northern tablelands of NSW. The young farmer is the last of his family in NSW but is descended from English gentry. Before she died, far too young, his beloved mum said he must return to England to seek a suitable bride from his ancestral home.

He did, and now he realises
☼♄Jülie 
Sydney, Australia 1902.

Fresh out of college as a newly qualified teacher, Kate Courtney has been thinking hard about her prospects for the future.
She would like to experience some of the world without the necessary restrictions which have been imposed upon her up until now.
Living in Sydney with her mother on a widow's pension in cramped living quarters while she attended teachers college has had a toll on both of them. Money has been tight and luxuries out of the question.
Now 18 year old Kate
Lee
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book’s blurb (and pretty cover) caught my attention immediately. The heroine, Kate, takes up a position as a governess at a remote New South Wales sheep station, only to find her student is not a child, but the property’s male adult owner, Tom. It’s 1902 and Tom needs to get his reading, writing, and speech up to a higher level if his dream of wooing an aristocratic Englishwoman (Laetitia) is to be fulfilled. Yes, the premise has fantastic potential, only…

Let me start with the time setting.
Sophia
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read another book by the author set earlier in Australia's history and enjoyed it so I was happy to snag this one when I came across it. The setting, the time period, and the interesting premise drew me in to this gently-paced, reverse Pygmalionish story about a young, wealthy Aussie sheep rancher who hires a teacher to help polish him so he can impress an aristocratic English lady.

The story is set in 1902 and begins with young Kate Courtney finishing up teacher's college and ready to brave th
maggieandteddy
I found a new author.... A male romance writer! Historical Romance at that!
I received this ARC through NetGalley.
I've been trying to get into more Historical Romances. This story takes place in 1902 Australia.
Tom is a wealthy sheep rancher in rural New South Wales. Kate has recently graduated from teacher's college. Tom advertises for a "governess" to teach him proper English in order to woo an English woman to be his bride. Tom's mother had home-taught him until he was 8 years old. His mothe
Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)
... This book given to me for a complementary review from NetGalley.
Um what photo: Um, What? Umwhat-1.gif

What did I just read?? As a whole, the story was okay. If I take it as face value and just focus on the overall. That is my problem however I can't. What year was that story from? 1902? You could have fooled me. There was no character development, or not enough for me to really care about the actions portrayed. The plot was predictable and the ending rushed.
Luli
Me encantó la portada.
Me encantó la descripción del libro.
Pero no he sido capaz de terminar de leer esta historia, así que no voy a puntuarla.
Mis problemas con esta historia han sido la poca precisión histórica, el insta-lust (al menos por la parte de la protagonista, que está embelesada con el físico del prota ) y el hecho de que la protagonista es la que nos explica (vía pensamientos internos) qué es lo que siente, quiere y preocupa al protagonista, un poco chocante, si tenemos en cuenta que e
Dísir
Wealthy landowner Tom Fortescue is in dire need of a governess to correct his language in order to win the hand of a high-brow English lady. Fresh out of teacher's college, Kate Courtney's ambitions have led her to rural New South Wales, but definitely not to a charge that turned out to be a strapping man who makes her knees weak. But the aristocratic English woman's arrival signals to Kate that her contract is coming to an end and the heart she's lost along the way to her charming pupil could n ...more
Tien
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
The synopsis of this novella appealed to me and the openly named male author (writing historical romance!!) added to the curiosity. I do realise there are a number of male authors who published romance novels under a rather feminine nom de plumes though I’m not really aware who’s who.

There were a number of things I loved about this novel aside from the romantic premise. I love this era in Australia; there were many possibilities and opportunities amidst the harshness of the place. I really do l
Stephanie
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
My review is now live on Layered Pages!

www.layeredpages.com

Here is the direct link: http://layeredpages.com/2016/01/21/le...
A Reader's Heaven

It was Tom’s mother’s dying wish that he fi
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I found this book to be rather odd, especially for a romance. There's a good sense of place, but I had difficulties with figuring out the era (it says 1902 in plot description here) probably due to not having the cultural knowledge to know when mining booms were in Australia. I would think I had a handle on it but then some more modern wording would throw me off or the appearance of a gramophone.

There were also a lot of points where I felt very aware that this was written by a man. Nothing too
Elaine
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
With her new teaching credentials, Kate is anxious to find a job. In no time at all Kate is leaving her home in Sydney, Australia and traveling to rural Kenilworth. There she accepts a job as a governess to a young boy (or so she thinks.) Actually, Kate will be teaching Tom Fortescue a wealthy man who never had a proper education. He desires to learn how to speak correctly along with good manners so he can bring himself up to the standards the young lady he wants to marry will accept.
Kate was su
Artemiz
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
For me this story was like Australia's version of Jane Eyre, minus her terrible childhood, mad wife in the attic and strange relatives.

Kate travels from Sidney to far away rural manor to become a governess to a young boy, or so she thought. But he new student will be her host, Tom, who's education was lacking since his mother's death and even once he was old enough to go to school, he had learning difficulties and he ran away from school.

But Tom still had enough education to build his fathers fa
Erin
See more reviews like this first on my blog

"Then he read it, slowly, one word at a time. And I knew that it would be right to have children with you. To live together at Kenilworth till we're old. Till we die, even. And for our children, and their children, to grow up loving the spread of those beautiful blue hills. As you do, As I do. "

The book cover and description got my attention, and held it until I realized how much of a romance this book was.
Kate Courtney is 18, a newly qualified teacher
Irene
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I am going to rate this 4.5 stars

I received this ARC through NetGalley!

This is my first read by a male author who writes historic romance.

Kate who just finished university to be a teacher has found a teaching position. However what she finds out when she goes for the interview that the pupil is an adult male.

Tom who is a farmer had a different up bringing than Kate. He actually learned how to write and speak from a servant. She talked how they say backwater!! They were 3 hours from a major city
Amy
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the cover & the setting of Kenilworth, 'Lessons in Loving' develops at a steady pace, and I enjoyed getting to know the characters of Kate & Tom. Kate, a new graduate teacher, looking to improve her station in life as well as establish the new idea of independence as a woman applies for the job as Governess in the remote New South Wales estate of Kenilworth. Thousands of acres in size, its owner, Tom requires lessons to tidy up his 'English' in order to impress a sought after brid ...more
Traci
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-romance

description

For Full Review please go to http://bookplusheart.weebly.com/histo...

Received an ARC from Netgalley for an Honest Review

I thought this story was super cute. It isn’t all tearing bodices, but it does have your gentlemen and ladies. I enjoy time period pieces. My favorite though is listening to them because I LOVE hearing the different accents. Same with Southern Fiction. This one wasn’t completely British, even though we do have some Brits in it. It has an Australian setting. It takes places i
Sissy's Romance Book Review
I am glad too see a male writer for a change on the Historical Romance section. I hope that it will continue to be so. I found this book enjoyable but I did think it went on somewhat long for the hero, Tom to know that his intended future wife is selfish and greedy.
Tom is trying to better himself to bring himself up to the standard of his intended future wife. He hires a governess named Kate Courtney. Kate thinks she is going to be helping a child but finds when she get there that it is the man
Roz ~ My Written Romance
NOTE: Thanks to Escape Publishing and the author for providing me with an ARC of the book via NetGalley. Any and all opinions are mine and mine alone.

Lessons in Loving is a sweet and most enjoyable addition to the Oztorical genre. It moved a little slowly at times, but it wasn't too much of a concern. I loved the concept, and Kate and Tom match up beautifully. I may just have to check out the rest of Peter McAra's backlist now.
Maggie Hesseling
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I've never read a romance novel written by a man before. And normally I wouldn't care about the gender of the author, but I have to say, that I absolutely loved this novel. Written about a place and time that I never read about, I was drawn by the fact that the author was a gentleman. I was not disappointed. Far from it, I was astounded by the beautiful writing, intriguing characters and creativity with which this novel was written. An absolute joy to read.
Abby
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was lovely. The story was entertaining and fun to read. I loved the two main characters as well as the dynamics of their relationship. And even though there are usually things that happen frequently in romance stories, this book didn't feel trite. I really enjoyed reading this book, I would most definitely recommend it, and I look forward to checking out other works by Peter McAra.
Precious-Books.blog
Cover Rating: ★★★★

Stars: ★★★

My Review:

Lessons in Loving is a romance novel by Peter Mcara. It is a fast paced story about an illiterate Australian who lives in the country trying to win his bride by hiring a teacher to help him learn read, write and have civilized conversation. I found it to be a lighthearted good read for those who enjoy romance.

Barb
Mar 02, 2016
Jenn M
Mar 04, 2016
1 follower
Born a miner’s son in Western Australia, Peter learned about love and life in a string of rural towns across Australia and New Zealand, where he grew up with his mum, dad and three sisters.

Over the years, his day jobs ranged from miner and truck-driver to academic positions in Australian and US universities. Along the way, he wrote several academic textbooks.

Why the switch to writing romance? Th
More about Peter McAra