Start by marking “Belle Chasse (Sentinels of New Orleans #5)” as Want to Read:
Belle Chasse (Sentinels of New Orleans #5)

Belle Chasse (Sentinels of New Orleans #5)

With the wizard-elven treaty on the verge of collapse, the preternatural world stands on the brink of war. Unless former wizard sentinel DJ Jaco manages to keep the elven leader, Quince Randolph, focused on peace and not personal matters.

With no one on the throne, Faerie is in chaos, with rival princes battling for power. The still-undead pirate, Jean Lafitte, is building
Published November 8th 2016 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Belle Chasse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belle Chasse

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 17, 2016 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!

I am an urban fantasy junkie, I admit it wholeheartedly, but when it comes to really good, well written, well told UF with characters that I absolutely adore, I become a fan girl and the Sentinels of New Orleans, is one of those series that from book one, has made me a fan.

From the characters to the setting, this book stands out and makes it worth the time to try. With sexy (undead) pirates, alpha shape shifters, wizards, vamps, and almost everything else, it is just one of those serie
Melliane
Sep 24, 2016 Melliane rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I could not wait to dive into this new story even if it is true that I was a little anxious to see if the story would keep its panache after so many novels. Still, I had a great time with the story as it is full of action and tension to keep us immersed in the novel waiting to see what will happen.

So we find our dear DJ after all the events of the previous book as she is finally forced to flee and hide in Old New Orleans not to get caught by those who se
Kimberly
Oct 10, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Our tale picks up where Pirate's Alley ended taking us on an action-packed, dangerous adventure as war is about to break out. From the worlds within the Sentinels of New Orléans series to the beloved, snarky characters Johnson pulls me into this world again and again.

Our (former) wizard sentinel DJ Jaco is staying in the Beyond at the home of the undead pirate, Jean Lafitte. The faerie world is in chaos as Christof and Florian go at it for the throne. Their battle upsets the preternatural balanc
Kathy Davie
Dec 04, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Fifth in the Sentinels of New Orleans urban fantasy series and revolving around DJ Jaco, a rogue wizard.

My Take
Most of the story is DJ rabbiting around half-cocked while Eugenie and Christof are developing…a relationship. There's plenty of low-key humor, but there is a thinness to the story as Johnson skips like a stone over the waters without creating any real depth.

My really big problem with Belle Chasse is that nothing really happens. It feels like a fill-in. Oh, DJ and Jake are still on the
Christine
Dec 14, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
Okay, WOW! I just spent six day's doing a re-read on the Sentinels of New Orleans series leading up to Belle Chase.
Belle Chasse start's right where it left off in Pirate's Alley and then the exciting action-packed roller-coaster ride begins. War is on the verge of breaking out between the interspecies. Elves and Wizards are on the verge of breaking there alliance, in Farie the two prince brothers are fighting for the thrown. Jean Lafitte is preparing for war by gathering his allies and providin
Heidi
Nov 07, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it
Four stars: A building block book that is all about character development and plot movement, but it lacks a big bang moment.

DJ is on the run from the wizards who stripped her of her job, her title and her home. She is exiled, forced to live in the Beyond, under the protection of one sexy, undead pirate, Jean Lafitte. While DJ hides out in the Beyond, forces are at work in the real world, plotting and planning to overthrow the status quo and possibly start a war. DJ is forced to take a hard look
Vanessa
Dec 09, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it
I’m not sure if DJ can handle much more of this. I’m not sure I can handle much more of this. Seriously this woman needs to get her life back in order. Too bad it’s her sense of loyalty to her friends that her boss can’t seem to appreciate. Fortunately, she’s chosen well in her friends, because they may be all she has between her and those trying to kill her.

DJ has found herself on the run after the events of PIRATE’S ALLEY, her own wizard First Elder has determined her a criminal for simply wan
Bambi Unbridled
description

It's no secret that the Sentinels of New Orleans is one of my favorite series. I predict that this will be a series that I will re-read many times in the future, and I don't see myself ever getting tired of it. Suzanne Johnson's world building is fantastic and the cast of characters is so engaging and fun, particularly New Orleans favorite, the undead Jean Lafitte!

Warning!!! This review may contain minor spoilers for previous books in the series. This series includes an ongoing story arc, so I s
Leeanna
Nov 20, 2016 Leeanna rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

“There was a bounty on my head, it was four days before Christmas, and I was having turtle gumbo with a merman, an undead pirate king, two loups-garou, and my best friend--a human pregnant with the half-elven child who had unknowingly helped set this whole debacle in motion. Plus a newbie vampire upstairs who didn’t like the smell of food anymore.”

And so kicks off BELLE CHASSE, the fifth book in Suzanne Johnson’s Sentinels of New Orleans
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Belle Chasse opens shortly after the surprising conclusion of the previous book, with our heroine, DJ, on the run with her pret friends. She was stripped of her wizarding license by current leader Zrakovi and given a death sentence. Now somewhat safely in the Beyond, in Old Barataria with Jean Lafitte and her friends, she works on a way to clear her name and get back her life, especially since her love, Alex, has remained behind, trying to change the rot from the inside.

Like the book before it,
Belle Chasse takes place just a few weeks after Pirate's Alley with DJ and Team Lafitte (her words) dealing with the events in Pirate's Alley. They are hiding out in Jean Lafitte's home in the Beyond. DJ is on everyone's most wanted list thanks to some frame jobs by some of the preternatural groups.

All the kiddies are playing this time around and some of them do not play well with others. We had the Elves, Wizards and Faeries fighting to be the biggest bully in the sand box and DJ is trying to
Lianne Pheno
Jan 15, 2017 Lianne Pheno rated it really liked it
Avis tiré de mon blog :

Un tome dans lequel les alliances et les schémas sont mouvants et qui continue de façon très vivante cette série que j'aime beaucoup.

Je ne peux pas vraiment résumer ce tome parce qu'on est vraiment en plein dans l'action qui se met en place au fur et à mesure et donc même expliquer le début serait du gros spoil.

En fait c'était vraiment un tome de transition. On part des précédents qui étaient surtout des enquête et l'occasion pour Dj de se faire des alliés et de rencontr
Carien
Nov 13, 2016 Carien rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf
This series just keeps on being awesome!

DJ is in trouble and the hits just keep coming,

I couldn't put this book down. I had to keep reading to find out if DJ and her friends manage to find a way out of the mess they're in.

It was interesting to learn more about Fairy and the fae, they're a weird and creepy bunch. I liked one of the princes, but still wasn't sure if I should root for him. I also loved seeing a bit more of the Otherworld/Old Orleans where the historical undead live, and to learn mo
Leslie Bivans
Dec 06, 2016 Leslie Bivans rated it really liked it
DJ is back for more misadventure and intrigue. She rushes into danger with her band of misfits. The story flows quickly and is easy to follow. It's best if you have been following the whole series but if you haven't, there are clues provided in the book so a person new to the storyline won't be totally clueless. It's an easy fun read. the way Suzanne Johnson jumps between modern New Orleans and historical New Orleans is filled with colorful imagery and great clarity and insight. I'm impressed by ...more
Shelley
*Source* Blog Tour via Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Full Review Pending/Posting 11/11/2016*

Have to admit that I'm a bit puzzled by this book and ending. While it has plenty of intrigue, the story really hasn't moved ahead all that much. I must say that I hope book # 6 brings things between Dj and her antagonists to an end quickly.

Expected publication: November 8th 2016 by Tor Books
Sevia
Dec 15, 2016 Sevia rated it liked it
Mám tuhle urban fantasy sérii opravdu ráda a vždycky jsem se u ní proto snažila přehlížet drobné nedostatky, ale tentokrát jich bylo trochu moc. Asi nejvíc mě iritovalo to černobílé vykreslování všech "zlých" postav. Přesto ve výsledku docela fajn.
Holly
I won an ARC from Goodreads! Yeahhhhhh!!!
Stephanie
Dec 08, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
In Johnson’s Belle Chasse The Good Times are Not So Roullez-ing

I voluntarily reviewed an advance readers copy of this book. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

It’s rare that I can sit down and get absorbed reading a book on vacation, but this one pulled me right in through a plane ride, Miami, and on a cruise.

This is a great story but not a good place to begin the series. There’s a lot of backstory, t
Seregil of Rhiminee
Dec 06, 2016 Seregil of Rhiminee rated it really liked it
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Before I begin to analyse and review Suzanne Johnson's Belle Chasse, I'll mention that The Sentinels of New Orleans series was an almost totally unknown series to me when I began to read this novel. I had heard good things about it, but I hadn't read any of the previous novels prior to reading this novel. I'm glad I had an opportunity read Belle Chasse, because it turned out to be a real page turner.

Belle Chasse is the fifth novel in The Sentinels of New Orle
Marlene
Nov 11, 2016 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

I started this book during Worldcon in August, because someone at the Tor presentation said that Belle Chasse was the final book in the Sentinels of New Orleans series, and I just couldn’t wait to find out how it ended.

This is not a spoiler alert, because it doesn’t end. Or I sure as hell hope not. The ending of this story feels much, much more like the eye of the storm. It’s taken five books and four years to go from the literal storm of Katrina that forms
Heather
Nov 25, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
Archer
Aww man, I finished the book. Now another waiting game begins. Love this world, love these people. Sad ending..
Karyn Buchanan
Jan 19, 2017 Karyn Buchanan rated it liked it
A fun follow-up to the rest of the series. A great getaway from real life.
Andrea Anderson
Dec 12, 2016 Andrea Anderson rated it it was amazing
love this whole series! and especially love it when capitan lafitte is aboard for the story :)
Robin
More like 3 1/2. I have hopes for the next one now that Alex and Eugenia's situations have evolved.
Cameron
Nov 22, 2016 Cameron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Originally posted on the blog What the Cat Read.

I’d like to first start my review by saying that if you haven’t read Pirate’s Alley, or any of the previous books in Johnson’s Sentinels of New Orleans series, you’ll want to make sure you do so prior to picking up this novel. The events in this book take place directly after the events in Pirate’s Alley, and while Johnson does a wonderful job of providing some backstory into events that happened in that book, your understanding of things will be m
Celeste
Mar 08, 2017 Celeste rated it it was amazing
I've loved this series from the beginning, but I feel like this book really took the story to another level. It's suspenseful, but without giving up the fun and sarcastic hilariousness that comes with a heroine like DJ. Bonus: it's very clear that there will be another book to continue the saga! LOVE IT.
Susan Pearlstein
Mar 09, 2017 Susan Pearlstein rated it really liked it
sookie stackhouse fans: read this series. it's very good.
Elisa
Feb 27, 2017 Elisa rated it really liked it
I love DJ and the gang, especially Jean. This one was a little slow because they are hiding out and waiting for things to happen. DJ still does a few crazy things, and the end speeds up and became pretty satisfying, except for the one thing that was upsetting... Plus there was lots of Jean and Rene, which is always great.
Can't wait for the next installment! Makes me want to head down to NoLa for some gumbo though...
Melody
Dec 06, 2016 Melody rated it it was ok
There are books where the villain is clever and sneaky and it takes an intelligent hero to out-smart and out-manoever him. This is not one of those books. In this book our band of heroes run around like chickens with their heads cut off and the only way they prevail is because the author has made the villains all neanderthals who are even dumber and more incompetent than the heroes.

The head of the wizards is dishonest, incompetent and probably a murderer. He spends his time setting up traps for
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Author of the Sentinels of New Orleans urban fantasy series, set in post-Katrina New Orleans. Coming November 8, 2016: BELLE CHASSE, book five; following ROYAL STREET, RIVER ROAD, ELYSIAN FIELDS, and PIRATE'S ALLEY. A novella and story collection, PIRATESHIP DOWN, was released in November 2015.

Writing as Susannah Sandlin, she is the author of the award-winning Penton Legacy paranormal romance seri
More about Suzanne Johnson...

Sentinels of New Orleans (6 books)
  • Royal Street (Sentinels of New Orleans, #1)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
  • Pirate's Alley (Sentinels of New Orleans, #4)
  • Untitled

“I suggest you stand slowly and walk out with my men,” Zrakovi said, tapping a napkin against his lying, two-faced mouth and putting a twenty on the table to cover the drinks. “If you make a scene, innocent humans will be injured. I have a Blue Congress cleanup team in place, however, so if you want to fight in public and damage a few humans, knock yourself out. It will only add to your list of crimes.”
I stood slowly, gritting my teeth when Squirrel Chin patted me down while feeling me up and making it look like a romantic moment. He’d been so busy feeling the naughty bits that he missed both Charlie, sitting in my bag next to my foot, and the dagger attached to my inner forearm.
Idiot. Alex would never have been so sloppy. If Alex had patted me down, he’d have found not only the weapons but also the portable magic kit.
From the corner of my eye, I saw a tourist taking mobile phone shots of us. He’d no doubt email them to all his friends back home with stories of those crazy New Orleanians and their public displays of affection.
I considered pretending to faint, but I was too badly outnumbered for it to work. Like my friend Jean
Lafitte, whose help I could use about now, I didn’t want to try something unless it had a reasonable chance at succeeding. I also didn’t want to pull Charlie out and risk humans getting hurt.
“Walk out the door onto Chartres and turn straight toward the cathedral.” Zrakovi pulled his jacket aside enough for me to see a shoulder holster. I hadn’t even known the man could hold a gun, although for all I knew about guns it could be a water pistol.
The walk to the cathedral transport was three very long city blocks. My best escape opportunity would be near Jackson Square. When the muscular goons tried to turn me left toward the cathedral, I’d try to break and run right toward the river, where I could get lost among the wharves and docks long enough to draw and power a transport. Of course in order to run, I’d have to get away from the clinch of Dreadlocks and Squirrel Chin. Charlie could take care of that.
I slipped the messenger bag over my head slowly, and not even Zrakovi noticed the stick of wood protruding from the top by a couple of inches.
Not to be redundant, but . . . idiots.
None of us spoke as we proceeded down Chartres Street, where, to our south, the clouds continued to build. The wind had grown stronger and drier. The hurricane was sucking all the humidity out of the air, all the better to gain intensity. I hoped Zrakovi, a Bostonian, would enjoy his first storm. I hoped a live oak landed on his head.”
2 likes
“There was a bounty on my head, it was four days before Christmas, and I was having turtle gumbo with a merman, an undead pirate king, two loups-garou, and my best friend - a human pregnant with the half-elven child who had unknowingly helped set this whole debacle in motion. Plus a newbie vampire who didn't like the smell of food anymore.” 0 likes