Start by marking “Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded” as Want to Read:
Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded

Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  9,560 ratings  ·  1,021 reviews
The wildly popular YouTube personality and author of the New York Times bestseller My Drunk Kitchen is back! This time, she’s stirring up memories and tales from her past.

By combing through the journals that Hannah has kept for much of her life, this collection of narrative essays delivers a fuller picture of her life, her experiences, and the things she’s figured out abou
Published October 18th 2016 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Buffering, please sign up.
Nikiverse I really like how she puts the image of the buffering circle (usually towards the end of her chapters) when she's working through some things…moreI really like how she puts the image of the buffering circle (usually towards the end of her chapters) when she's working through some things emotionally and mentally!(less)

·  9,560 ratings  ·  1,021 reviews

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spoiler free review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8pp...

This book was so interesting. I admittedly don't watch Hannah's videos all that often. I go in spurts really. But, I found her voice came through so strongly in this book and the story she told was so fascinating. I'll go more into depth in my video review.

*Sent an ARC for review by the publisher*
Ryan Clark
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommendations
When I found out that Hannah was writing a memoir, and that it was full of things she'd never talked about before, I expected saucy tales of her lesbian sexcapades or wild drunken nights or her favorite or least favorite MDK guests, that sort of thing.

What I did not expect was a heartwrenching tale of poverty and suffering and survival perpetrated by her mother's mental illness and the abandonment of family members who simply couldn't deal with it all.

I did not expect stories of adversity and
Nat
Buffering is a collection of narrative essays that tell Hannah Hart's stories of pain and joy and discovery. I knew going into this that I was probably going to get to know her really well, and damn am I happy that I was right.

“Selfishly, I wanted to write this to feel less alone. Selflessly, I hope it helps you feel less alone too.”

The ways Hart opened up in this book made me feel so deeply connected that I was kind of scared. Her essays featured a plethora of heavy subjects such as “schizophr
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Honest, thoughtful, funny, and fantastically written. This does not go light on some of the more difficult things that Hannah has dealt with in her life, and some of her experiences especially in regards to her mother were incredibly raw to read emotionally. It was the Hannah that I have loved from her videos, and also another Hannah that I really wanted to know more about. I am so impressed by this book.
Ashley DiNorcia
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So I'll be honest and say I had no intention of reading this until I found out it had to deal with her family and the way her mothers mental health issues shaped her childhood and consequently who she is now. I like Hannah Hart, but I don't make it a habit to read most "YouTuber" books, because, well.....you know why. I'm glad I picked this one up though.

It had a lot of depth and served it's intended purpose- gave you a more intimate look into who this person is and how they got here. Unlike a
Igrowastreesgrow
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audiobook
This book was very open. I appreciate that. A lot of what was said reminded me of my own childhood, of my own response to my upbringing. I don't watch her youtube channel or anything like that. So, I can't promote that in any way. This book was full of emotion and heavy content. I will probably read a few more times later down the road.

Note: I hate audio books and she did a really good job on the narration.
mel
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
okay. this one is difficult. i LOVE hannah hart with all of my heart-o, so i believe i need to go a bit far afield, before diving into this. if you don't want to deal with any feelings head to the section that has + and - in it and read the bold titles only.

i think it was randy pausch who told a story about his football coach who was pretty tough on him and the coach's assistant said, "that's a good thing [...] when you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you anymore, that means they've g
Amy
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book at the library because I thought the title was "Suffering," which sounds like something I'd be into. I later realized there was a sticker on the spine covering up a "B" and not an "S."

This is an autobiographical book of a Youtuber named Hannah Hart, who I've never heard of before reading her book. Her content is basically her getting drunk and making stuff in her kitchen. I watched an episode where she tried to make slime, and it wasn't too bad.

The book is kind of a mishm
Ashley
I shoulda done the audio on this one. I'm so used to hearing Hannah's voice from her own mouth (long time My Drunk Kitchen watcher, since episode 5), I'm sure it would have smoothed over the issues I had with the style this one is written in. It felt simultaneously overwritten and underwritten at various points, like the voice wasn't completely comfortable with itself.

But any issues with the writing aside, it's hard not to get sucked in to Hannah's story. She tells it in a straightforward, unfli
James
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read a fair number of "celebrity" memoirs in the last couple years - including several from well known "online content creators" aka youtubers - but none have measured up to how I connected with this one.

I'm not a youtube fiend - I've never actually "subscribed" to a youtube channel, and I'm probably just outside the target age bracket for a lot of the content - but I do remember Hannah Hart's My Drunk Kitchen from the (relatively) early days of youtube sensations.

Most of these millennial m
Book Riot Community
This collection of narrative essays explores stories that Hannah has not told on her popular YouTube channels. Hannah, of My Drunk Kitchen fame, writes raw, honest, and heartfelt stories about her childhood and dealing with her mother’s mental illness, her father’s religious stringency, and her own sexuality. This book is a great look into struggles of coming into adulthood, dealing with family, and growing up in a less than perfect environment. I listened to the audio, which is read by the auth ...more
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
❖ Please ignore my rating, as my ratings are more for me than for you. Thank you! ✌
❖ Whenever I review, I ask myself the same set of questions, based on my personal standards for novels. I exclude the sections about “characters” and “plot” when reviewing nonfiction, obviously. ;)
❖ I also talk about the books on my BookTube channel.
❖ I make friendships through twitter.

❖ ❖ ❖ DO I RECOMMEND IT? ❖ ❖ ❖
Absolutely!

❖ ❖ ❖ CONTENT WARNINGS ❖ ❖ ❖
severe mental illness, illness of parent, self-harm, emanci
Ian Hord
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to Hannah read me this book because I wanted to hear one of my favorite youtubers talk to me for 14 hours.
I didn't know going in all the secrets and stories she would tell.
As this child of trauma listened to another tell the stories of the general and the monk I found myself grasping at the hope in her voice. I had to take breaks between listening sessions so my brain could process my own memories that came bursting forth at her words. I am glad I continued.
Hannah Hart is an inspir
Becki
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always worry when reading celebrity memoirs they're usually full of tales of a "rough life" and woes of the business of their choice. Hannah's book was full of tragic moments but also the magic of hope. The writing is well done, the humor is spot on, but the heart is what makes this book. Hannah lets the reader into some of her darkest moments and shines the light on many issues from coming out of the closet to mental illness. She carries a tone of hope and brightness throughout the entire boo ...more
Neri.
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Boy oh boy, was this book an emotional rollercoaster! In her memoir Hannah Hart talks about her troubled childhood, teen years and the rise to the Youtube fame. It was refreshing to see such an intimate look into the lives of one of the most famous people on the internet.
Christina

Please support my blog and read my non-spoiler review here: http://adventures-in-polishland.com/2...

I’ve been a subscriber of YouTuber Hannah Hart for a few years now, and I decided to pick up her second book, Buffering, after hearing so many good things about it. Buffering is a memoir that features a set of personal essays chronicling Hannah’s life. I highly recommend reading this book if you watch Hannah’s videos regularly, or even just every once in a while. I never could have gues
Sam
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There's something completely indescribable about reading someone's story and being able to see some of yours in it.

I've always admired Hannah, but after reading this book I admire her so much more. Her strength is ineffable. I'm glad to have had the chance to read her story. She is truly an inspiration and such a beautiful human.
Paige
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to have to DNF this, not because I didn't like it, but I just have too much going on in my own life that it's stressing me out a bit to be reading about other people's problems. I'll finish it up at a later date.
Amanda
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I really enjoyed this. I love how raw and candid she was about her life. I have gained so much more respect for her after hearing about everything she went through as a kid and still deals with today.
Ariel ✨
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely blown away.
Alex
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, owned, memoir
This book was fantastic. If you're a fan of Hannah Hart, I highly recommend. It was so interesting to be immersed in her background, family history/childhood, & all of her memories.
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-stars
I know it's 3 in the morning.

I was going to wait to finish the book until tomorrow but I couldn't. I was going wait to write my review until tomorrow, but I couldn't. I had to lie on my bed and process for a while, but then I had to grab my laptop and force myself to stay up just a little longer. I don't want these thoughts to drift away.

You and I, we, the community surrounding the bright, shiny vitality of a personality that is Hannah Hart as she presents herself to the world, could never have
Michelle
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
[Actual Rating: 3.5] I think this book is flawed, with some possibly unnecessary bits and fits of mediocre writing, but there is enough compelling, heartbreaking material that's delivered really well and flares of delightful humor to make this worthwhile for me.
Amy Nicole
I was not prepared for how emotionally vulnerable and deep Hannah went in this book. She went deep into discussions of her grapplings with sexuality, dealings with the mental health of her mother and subsequently her own PTSD and mental health, and challenges with self harm. There were some light hearted memories shared, but this was overall a much more serious memoir.

And I LOVED it. I love this side of Hannah. She definitely shows it in her more chatty videos. If her first book was a perfect p
Erin
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know much about Hannah Hart when I started this, but was shocked to find out the history of her family and her mother’s intense battle with schizophrenia. The lessons Hart has learned and her relationship with her sisters as a result will incite an emotional response in even the stoniest of readers.
Lizzy Seitz
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 out of 5 stars.

This was the perfect book for the time I was reading it. I need/needed to process somethings in my life and getting to read Hannah's essays about her life really clicked with me and helped me process some of them. I don't want to spoil what she wrote because I think it needs to be read and not paraphrased so instead on this review I'm going to share my favorite essays and quotes.

Favorite Essays:

Favorite Quotes:

"Somethi
Paul
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book describes the most egregiously awful childhood a person can have--beyond even Dickens's imagination. To have a schizophrenic mother, an absent father, no toilet paper, continual electricity shutoff, and one pair of clothes that you have to wear to school every day until they smell, is more than I can imagine suffering. The fact that she transcended all this to become a popular culture figure with a podcast and tours of cities by the score says a lot about her courage and perseverance. ...more
Sandhya Chandramohan
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have never been one to binge watch Youtube or watch anything much on Youtube at all, least of all read a book about a Youtuber's life. I have also never been one to read biographies or autobiographies, least of all one about an entertainer. But I am really grateful that I decided to pick this up. No one ever really wants to hear about your tough times or how difficult your life has been. But if anyone ever wanted to hear about it, it would be when written in the form of this book. This book is ...more
Rebecca
3.5
I wasn't expecting much, since it was just one more Youtuber's biography. But I've always found Hannah Hart quite funny and the book was short, so why not?
Well, I was not prepared for this. The book actually focuses mainly on mental illnesses - from the terrible situation her mother's schizophrenia put her and her sisters in, the appalling childhood, the trauma she suffered from the family she had and how it dictated the rest of her life. It is quite heavier than expected, with so many inter
Chinook
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what this book was going to be. I thought, hey, the Drunk Kitchen chick - that'll be funny.

I can't remember the last time a book made me sob, but this one did. I had no idea that Hannah's life had been so difficult. That her mother had schizophrenia. That she'd been neglected and raised in squalor. That she'd been separated from siblings. That her father had been a religious fundamentalist who'd failed to step in and address the problem. That all the adults around her had so pheno
Goodreads Librari...: Buffering by Hannah Hart 2 87 Apr 05, 2016 12:38PM

• Cooking as Fast as I Can: A Chef's Story of Family, Food, and Forgiveness
  • Rewind Replay Repeat: A Memoir of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
  • Man Alive: A True Story of Violence, Forgiveness and Becoming a Man
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Naked in the Promised Land: A Memoir
Hannah Hart is a Youtuber, comedian, author, actress and somewhat of a chef. Her Youtube channel MyHarto features her weekly My Drunk Kitchen videos. She has also collaborated with a multitude of other Youtubers including her best friends Mamrie Hart and Grace Helbig. Hannah, Grace and Mamrie also co-created the movie Camp Takota where Hannah Hart plays a supporting role of Allison Henry.
“I guess this is a message for those of you who contemplate permanent solutions to temporary problems. You never know what could be coming in the future. There is so much music you've yet to hear.” 17 likes
“I'm proud to be a work in progress.” 15 likes