Start by marking “Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude” as Want to Read:
Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude is perhaps the most important landmark of the so-called Boom in contemporary Latin American fiction. Published in 1967, the novel was an instant success, running to hundreds of editions, winning four international prizes and being translated into 27 languages. In 1982, its author received the Nobel Prize for Literature. Michael Wood places the ...more
Published May 31st 1990 by Cambridge University Press

Henok
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know what to say...I stumbled on this book in the sci-fi section of my library (what?), and grabbed it after flipping through a couple of pages. A week later, my head is still in a whirl. I was absolutely not expecting to be drawn into the uniquely small-town mythology of Macondo. Part fairy tale, part historical drama, filled with a romanticism that regularly bleeds into pure sensualism, it felt like at times I was drowning under the all-too-human passions of beings that couldn't f ...more
Philip Beukes
Oct 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Excellent opening paragraph, unfortunately that's where the magic ends or really begins...
Confusing with to many characters portrayed in a whirlwind of time and space. Fought hard to get through it.
Shaghig Daghlian-Barsoumian
I couldn't stop reading it till i finished ....in two days .... something in it made me in love. though i know many friends didn't like the idea of it ....
Ruta Juzulenaite
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The conditions of a solitary bird are five: First, that it flies to the highest point. Second, that it does not seek after company, not even its own kind. Third, that it aims its beak to the wind. Fourth, that it has no definite color. Fifth, that it sings very sweetly. (John of the Cross: Sayings of Light and Love)

Perfect narrative illutration to what St John of the Cross sang.
John Dizon
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an indie lit postmodernist author, I can say with authority that this fits the description of a postmodernist novel. Yet the global literary community has branded this as a new genre of magical realism, and even gave Gabriel Garcia Marquez a Nobel Prize in Literature for it. Oh well, if you've gotta live your lifetime in Colombia I guess you should have something to show for it.

At any rate, if you're into postmodern this is a worthy read. Jose Arcadio Buendia founds the village of Macondo aft
Dresden
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and it still remains one of my favorites.
Anna
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, re-reading
It lures me in every time I pick it up off the shelf.
Marty Lainz
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REALISMO MAGICO , SITUATIONS WHEN REALITY BECOMES ONE WITH TALES AND STORIES BEYOND A LOGICAL EXPLANATION , STORIES SHARED THROUGHOUT YEARS , MAYBE CENTURIES , ABOUT A SAGA INVOLVING GENERATIONS OF FAMILIES HAVING LASTS NAMES IN COMMON , STIGMA , SIMILARITIES OVER TOTEM AND TABOO , OVER GOOD AND EVIL , OVER SLAVERY DIMENSIONAL OF TIME , THE ORIGINS OF A DUSTY VILLAGE (MACONDO) , INGENUITY TRANSFORMED IN CHRONICLES , GUILT , SIN , SHAME ......PERHAPS A DESCRIPTION OF ANY GIVEN SMALL TOWN , IN A C ...more
✨ a r a c e l i ✨
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I'm from Argentina myslef, I've never read a book by an Latin author before. However, after a literature project in school I came upon this book and it was a-ma-zing. I was so enthralled by this book that it was physically impossible for me to put down. I've never read something like this before and I can't begin to explain how magnificent not only the plot is, but the characters and the retelling of this wonderful story. I have to addmit that is was rather hard to follow from time t ...more
Laila Doncaster
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I gave this book 4 of 5 stars because it took me a while before figuring out the era and that the characters were pre-historic microorganism offspring ... breed with the wrong mate and your children will have a pig's nose or tail, fish lips, or too many legs. However, as Marquez usually does, the flow and complexity of the story's details are outstanding. Sure he can be a bit 'out there' in his stories, but that's the fun in reading Marquez work!
Luis Olivier Mayorga
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, shit on it, love it, eat it, give birth to it"
Anne
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Mix of realism and fantasy. Easy to read cause it is a weird and funny book at the same time you get a description of life in latin america, a bit of history.. Not my personal favourite.
Aighmi*
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Hated this sexist mess. I was so predisposed to enjoy it. Very disappointing.
Mansoor K
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Splendid and the most magical book ever I read.
Judy Millspaugh
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought it because it won a Nobel Prize. I read it because it could not put it down.
Graeme Wright
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Did magic exist before we quit believing in it?
Steve Phillipson
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Follows the history of the Buendia family in the town of Macondo. Brilliant.
John K.
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is arguably the greatest novel written so far.
Andrea
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unforgettable. Haunting. Realistic and impossible all at the same time.
Lisa Woods
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This still might be one of my favourite books.
Eva Georgieva
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! One of my all time favorites! So interesting style of writing with amazing humour ! A must read!
Elaine Donadio
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book since this book is important in literature. It's beautifully written in a poetic, circular, symbolic language with a story that almost never seems to move ahead. Many characters have the same names, are interconnected in a myriad of ways, live in the same place with little interaction with the outside world, and repeat the same patterns of behavior. I must admit I was often confused as to which character was doing what wth whom. Incest leading to marriage is frequent, ...more
Diogo Antunes
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I will always remember it. I read it when i was 16 or 17 and it was the best experience. It made me dream, Gabriel open my eyes to another kind of beauty. I remember when i finished this book i felt so sad because inside me i knew that i would never read something so good. It's the best book i read, and probably it will continue. I cant imagine something better than this, after this book i read great books, but this will be my favourite. And i dont even know why and i cant explain why i liked it ...more
David Brown
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book by my favorite author.
Emma Palova
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One Hundred Years of Solitude is my absolute favorite. I've been reading ever since I learned how to read in kindergarten.
I literally devoured this book in 24 hours with only getting up to go to the bathroom and to grab a bite to eat.
I read the book twice in the same style. It's a literary fantasy with a myriad of characters who play out their roles in the exotic south American jungle.
Late Gabriel Garcia Marquez received the Nobel Prize for Literature for this book in 1982.
Ionut Ciuta
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must admit, at times I found it a bit dull and annoying due to the large genealogical tree in which it's pretty easy to get lost. Other than that, I found it fascinating, especially the close analysis on how a society easily forgets the ones who forged and engineered it. It also does a great job at showing how powerful human desires can be and how futile is to try to restrict them with rules. Great read!
Carole Leslie
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Many of the characters have the same, or similar names, and once I gave up trying to remember who was who, I really enjoyed it. A rich, rich story that takes you through time and adventures of a community. The reflection on human relationships and the "ties that bind" is absorbing. I want to read this again, and I rarely re-read books.
Jessica
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
The title is confusing. This isn't "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by G.G.M....it's an *ANALYSIS* of One Hundred Years, by Michael Wood. I don't normally read stuff like this but I was just dying to know what other people thought One Hundred Years was supposed to be about. Interesting take! Helpful! It's just one guy's opinion, but he makes good points.
Arunima Sarin
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most profound books I have ever read. Marquez reveals intricacies and complexities of the circle of life in a thought provoking and delectable way. This is one book I intend to re-read many times because I am certain I will understand it differently every time I read it.
Tiffani Sheriff
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An absolute must read! I can't vouch for this translation but this is one of the most well written books I've ever had the honor to read. Opt for an edition with the family tree in the front...you will need it. Hang in there, it is worth every second.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Get a Life
  • Ernest Hemingway's the Old Man and the Sea (Bloom's Reviews)
  • A Child in Palestine
  • The Power of Beauty
  • The Arabian Nights II: Sindbad and Other Popular Stories
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • The Best American Comics 2016
  • Nocturnal Conspiracies: Nineteen Dreams From December 1979 to September 1994
  • ДПП
  • The Mystery of 2012: Predictions, Prophecies & Possibilities
  • Empire of Debt: The Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis

Michael Wood born in Lincoln, England, is the Charles Barnwell Straut Class of 1923 Professor of English and Professor of comparative literature at Princeton University. He is an alumnus of St John's College, Cambridge.

Prior to teaching to Princeton, he taught at Columbia U