Start by marking “Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)” as Want to Read:
Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)

Sharp Ends

(First Law World #7)

The Union army may be full of bastards, but there's only one who thinks he can save the day single-handed when the Gurkish come calling: the incomparable Colonel Sand dan Glokta.
Curnden Craw and his dozen are out to recover a mysterious item from beyond the Crinna. Only one small problem: no one seems to know what the item is.

Shevedieh, the self-styled best thief in Styria

Published April 26th 2016 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Sharp Ends, please sign up.
Milda Page Runner Yes and no. Most stories you can read and enjoy but you won't get the full scope.
There are few stories though like A Beautiful Bastard and Wrong…more
There are few stories though like A Beautiful Bastard and Wrong Place, Wrong Time that won't make much sense if you haven't read First Law trilogy and Best Served Cold first.
So whilst you can read it before reading First Law - I would not recommend simply because if you do like it - there would be spoilers for the series.
If you want to check out Abercrombie's writing before committing to full book few of these stories are available and free online:
Two’s Company: http://www.tor.com/2016/01/12/twos-co...
Some Desperado: http://www.tor.com/2013/11/04/some-de...
I hope that helps :)(less)
ColinJ If there is he's been quiet about it. I'm sure he's optioned his works but unless something is actually shooting then nothing is certain.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This was a great collection of twisted short stories. It’s Abercrombie at his best. I’ve reviewed each one individually:

A Beautiful Bastard- 5/5- I feel like I’ve been waiting for this story for a long time. If you’ve read The First Law Trilogy then you’ll know what an ugly bastard Glockta is. He was captured by the enemy and tortured to the point of ruination. As a result, he reaps vengeance on the world, but still serves his country. This story is a glimpse of the Glockta we often hear abo
Petrik
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grimdark & The First Law fans
Buddy read with the lovely one, Sarah

3.5/5 Stars

Sharp Ends, the ultimate collection of Tales from the World of First Law by Abercrombie’s, is a great dessert to provide insights and more info for most of the previously established characters.

Picture: My complete collection of Joe Abercrombie’s ‘The First Law’ series

There’s no way I’m missing any stories in the First Law world, it’s one of my favorite series of all time, especially the First Law trilogy.

Unlike most anthologies, there is a sense o
☽Luna☾
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grimdark, great-books
4/5

Buddy read with my lovely friend; Petrik

So my phone kinda deleted all the notes I had written down to write this review. Clearly the world hates me right now.

Also I see a lot of people starting their First Law journey with this Anthology or one of the standalones.. Why do they do this? Please read the series in order so you actually know what's going on.

I'm going to do my review a little differently then I was going to: All novellas in this book apart from Made a Monster, gets a solid rating
Conor
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading one of my friends' reviews for a short story collection where they updated the review as they read each story. Seems like a cool format and I good way to keep track of each story, so here we are.

A Beautiful Bastard: 5 Stars.

Really strong short story. The malicious "practice sessions" led by Glokta and cheered on by his sycophants while a military campaign was conducted (poorly) in the background created a real sense of unease and tension. The characters really stole the show
Jokoloyo
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jokoloyo by: Bee
This is a book about Shev and Javre, plus nostalgic episodes from other stories in First Law Universe.
Shev&Javre

I think this book is mainly for telling the hilarious stories of Shev and Javre, but because the length is not long enough for novel length book, then book added some chapters of previous First Law stories. The additions have various quality but mainly are for comic relief or showing some characterization of a few characters. My personal favorites of course the appearance of Corporal Tunny.

Maybe
Jody
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grim-dark
It sure was refreshing to be back in the World of the First Law. While I didn't give all of these stories a high star rating, I have missed Abercrombie's writing style. His stories are always filled with dark humor, bloody scenes, and great characterization. I laughed out loud or cringed countless times reading this. There are a wide variety of characters. The new characters added a fresh view into this unforgiving world and the old characters made me reminisce of the books already read. I have ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/04/25/...

The full title of this anthology is actually Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of the First Law, so fans of Joe Abercrombie’s novels set in this universe should be in for a treat. All thirteen tales in here are set in the Circle of the World, spanning a period that starts about a decade before the beginning of The Blade Itself and ends a few years after Red Country, and some feature locations and characters that have appe
José
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
(Actualización: la colección ya está disponible en español y se titula Filos mortales).
Reseña de todas las historias y de la colección en general en mi blog: Click aquí.

One of my most anticipated reads of 2016 and it didn't disappoint! Joe Abercrombie returns to his dark, brutal and gritty world with thirteen stories that revisit some key moments narrated in his different books, providing detailed background for our old favourites characters: Logen Ninefingers, Glokta, Temple, Shy South, Cur
Terence
Sharp Ends revisits stories from the world of the First Law series. It's packed with a variety of tales from ones that have only been mentioned to some that no one knew happened. A slew of characters from The First Law series appear such as Sand dan Glokta, Curnden Craw, Whirrun of Bligh, Temple, Shy, Bremer dan Gorst, Nicomo Cosca, and many others. The book also includes varying stories about new characters Shevedieh the best thief in Styria and Javre the Lioness of Hoskopp.

The stories vary for
Phrynne
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hardly ever read short stories, preferring my books to be long and full. However I was willing to make an exception for this author especially when I saw that one of his stories was about Glokta! As it turned out it was worth buying the whole book just for that one short story but then there was so much more.
Writing really strong characters is one of Abercrombie's greatest strong points and his tales of Shy, Glokta and Nine Fingers were brilliant back stories. Then he introduced some new (to m
Lee
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy
Well I am going to keep this review short. Just like the stories in the book.

Overall, pretty average I have to say. It was nice being back in that world, but the stories were pretty bland. There are a couple of stories that follow on from each other, which made the book tolerable. But it certainly showed me that I am not a fan of very short stories. There was really nothing to get your teeth into and felt more like adding some scenes to sell another book.

This is NOT a book to buy to give you an
Scott  Hitchcock
I wonder after reading the four singles if I would have liked the trilogy as much. I tend to think I wouldn't. JA's writing style was fresh for me then. It's quirky and interesting but not smooth by any means. I've bored over time of his story telling. It can be good in parts but then boring as hell in others.

This 7th book reflected all of that. Some of the shorts I really enjoyed. Others I hated. Some like Glotka's story I wanted to see beyond where it ended. I found Shev and Javre's stories t
Tracey the Lizard Queen
Full review at: http://thequeenofblades.blogspot.co.uk/

This book contains everything I love about Abercrombie and more. Gritty realism, vulgar language, dark humour, blood, guts, desperation. What more could you ask for? This has had the desired effect and now I feel like I need to go read everything by this author! This is a big problem for me because I've already got books waiting and books I've paused to read other books and now I can't keep up anymore! Dammit.

*I received a copy from NetGall
Twerking To Beethoven
Joe Abercrombie is back into amazing shape with an astonishing, superb, brilliant and uncanny set of short stories. There's not a single one I didn't lurve (well, ok... to be perfectly candid, maybe "Freedom" isn't on the same level as the others, I said "maybe").

Also, the four stories featuring Shev and Javre are sort of a short novel of their own, and they somewhat remind me of Lansdale's Hap and Leonard (and that's a good thing, in case you're wondering).

What I loved the most about "Sharp En
Sam
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2016
I'm having trouble rating/reviewing this book. On the one hand, yay! More Joe Abercrombie. On the other hand, I think I'm just not as satisfied by his short stories as I am his books. I totally think this is a personal issue rather than any fault of the anthology itself. I enjoyed the Shev/Javre stories the most and I think this is because they were the characters who reappeared the most throughout. The other stories felt more toss-a-way. Maybe if I had just come off reading the books, they migh ...more
Pablo
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Estoy de bajona.
Como muchos de sus fans tuve un flechazo con Abercrombie y devoré seguidos los 3 tochazos de La primera ley (no llegan a 3000 páginas, pero yo a eso lo llamaría pasión igualmente).
Descubrí que existían más novelas ambientadas en el mismo universo y leí La mejor venganza (quizá mi favorita) y Los héroes, haciendo palmas con las orejas al comprobar que, además de ser buenas historias que se disfrutan por sí mismas, estaban llenas de referencias, cruces de personajes y se compleme
Milda Page Runner
Loved it. As expected with short story collection it is a bit of a mixed bag: most stories are good and some are awesome but inevitably there are a few that I didn’t care for. Hence the 4*.

Highly recommend to Abercrombie fans and readers familiar with the First Law world. I wouldn’t recommend for the new readers – whilst some stories would work, majority would lose too much without the context.

Here are few sentences about each story as I’ve read them:

Beautiful Bastard - 3* Nice insight to how Gl
Xabi1990
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un momento, que me limpio las salpicaduras de sangre y vísceras y vuelvo.
Un momeeeeeento…..

Ya. (Es que el último relato era de Logen Nuevededos. Costaba limpiárselo todo).

A ver, sigo sin ser amigo de las historias cortas porque los personajes no están suficientemente definidos para mi gusto. Tiene que tener mucha fuerza en la historia para que por sí sola salve el relato.
Pero si ya has leído el resto de libros de Abercrombie este no es sino leer alguna peripecia más de nuestros viejos conocid
Azumi
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha sido una alegría volver a reencontrarme con viejos conocidos como Whirrum, Shy, Gorst, Glotka, Cosca, Logen y los norteños y muchos más en estos relatos llenos de asesinos, timadores, traiciones, peleas, escaramuzas y filos de hachas y espadas.

Mis relatos preferidos:

Trabajos ridículos: Me ha encantado el humor negro que destila el relato. Craw y sus secuaces haciendo un trabajito.

Lugar equivocado, momento equivocado: Revivimos desde otros puntos de vista de gente desconocida, los hechos narra
Steve
I’m a huge fan of Joe Abercrombie, especially of his “First Law” series. This anthology is set in this grimdark world of violence and treachery, and fleshes out many of the much-loved/much-hated characters from the original trilogy and the three stand-alone novels.

My favorites out of the thirteen short stories were:

“A Beautiful Bastard”, the story of Colonel Sand dan Glokta immediately before his was taken captive and tortured by the Gurkish army. My biggest complaint comes with this story, as w
Mangrii
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
En Filos Mortales el autor de Lancaster nos lleva por trece relatos ambientados en las distintas épocas de La Primera Ley, encontrándonos con personajes habituales y queridos así como la presentación de otros nuevos que utiliza como protagonistas de varios relatos. Trece relatos que sirven para profundizar un poco más en el Circulo del Mundo y algunos de los sucesos acontecidos, trece relatos para conocer a Joe Abercrombie en su vertiente adulta o en su defecto, volver a ella.

Una colección de re
Metodi Markov
Чудесна порция превъзходни истории от Джо.

Срещнах се със стари любимци, появиха се и нови, непознати до сега.

Джавра, Лъвицата от Хоскоп официално измести от сърцето ми като най-любима героиня Змията на Талинс. :) Не би било зле да видим цяла книга за нея. Е, и на още една за Монцкаро Муркато не бих се намръщил де.

Надявам се един ден да видя сериал по творенията на Джо, ще е просто епично!!!

От преводача научих, че зайците ръсят бибенки и че разстоянието, което имат някои хора между двата си предн
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
I have to have this....now!!!!!! I'm obsessed with the First Law series and the bloody nine! Oh yes, oh yes ohhhhhh yes!!!!!
Andreas
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 400-600
I really love this world and can't wait for A Little Hatred.
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘Bethod stepped towards him. The dead knew he did not want to. The dead knew his heart was pounding. But he stepped towards him anyway, and fixed him with his eye, and said, “You can’t kill the whole world, Logen.”’

Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie is a collection of short stories all set in The First Law world. By the dead did it feel good to be back in this world, to be amongst the shadiest of characters once again, and to just enjoy some more stabby stabbyness!

I’ll admit I’m not a huge fan of s
Joel
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FULL REVIEW ON MY BLOG, TOTAL INABILITY TO CONNECT

There are few things I love more than Joe Abercrombie's writing, specifically his First Law works. I was excited, after getting a short-story collection from Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series last fall, to get back into Fitch's series as well.

Anyone who's read my reviews and blog knows that I'm a big, BIG fan of novellas and shorts. Love them. A collection of shorts is a great thing as well, especially a novel containing something like 12 new
Emily
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So, take this review with this caveat - I am not really a fan of short stories and this is a book of short stories...

I loved the glimpse into the life of a pre-tortured Glokta. I liked the stories with Shev and Javre all of those were good except the last one which I didn't care for (the one where the stolen package changes hands about 10 times). I also didn't like the story with Costa in it. The rest of the stories were just OK.

I have a hard time getting into short stories and I didn't remember
Alexander Páez
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasía
Hay algún relato más flojo que otro, pero en general son todos excelentes, sobre todo los nuevos, destacan sobre los antiguos. Abercrombie demuestra que no ha perdido el ritmo que la trilogía The Shattered Sea ha sido un descanso para volvernos a tirar a la cara su gritty más oscuro. Porque el grimdark no se trata solo de mostrar la faceta oscura de la humanidad, el sarcasmo, la ironía y los dobles sentidos son parte importante de este género, y Abercrombie es el rey.
Margret
In Wheel of Time units, this book is "Traveling Circus" level pointless.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sharp Ends [Sep 5, 2017] 34 40 Oct 11, 2017 02:28PM
  • A Drink Before We Die: A Low Town Short
  • Road Brothers (The Broken Empire, #3.5)
  • Academic Exercises
  • Fall of Light (The Kharkanas Trilogy, #2)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Dead Man's Steel (The Grim Company, #3)
  • The Dark Defiles  (A Land Fit for Heroes, #3)
  • Blackguards: Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues
  • In the Field Marshal's Shadow: Stories from the Powder Mage Universe
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • A Plague of Swords (The Traitor Son Cycle, #4)
  • Deadhouse Landing (Path to Ascendancy, #2)
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • The Great Bazaar & Brayan's Gold
  • The Judging Eye (Aspect-Emperor, #1)
Joe Abercrombie was educated at Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Manchester University, where he studied psychology. He moved into television production before taking up a career as a freelance film editor. During a break between jobs he began writing The Blade Itself in 2002, completing it in 2004. It was published by Gollancz in 2006 and was followed by two other books in The First Law Trilogy ...more

First Law World (10 books)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Best Served Cold
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
  • A Little Hatred (First Law World #8)
  • The Trouble with Peace
  • The Beautiful Machine
“Welcome to my life of constant doubt, anxiety and occasional sudden and unpredictable horror, Javre. I hope you enjoy your fucking visit.” 9 likes
“But it is easy to speak of the past, impossible to go there. I am powerful in ways you can only dream, yet I am still a prisoner of what I have done. I can never escape the cell I have made for myself. Things are what they are.” 5 likes