Start by marking “The Pattern on the Stone: The Simple Ideas that Make Computers Work” as Want to Read:
The Pattern on the Stone: The Simple Ideas that Make Computers Work

The Pattern on the Stone: The Simple Ideas that Make Computers Work

(The Science Masters Series)

Most people are baffled by how computers work and assume that they will never understand them. What they don't realize—and what Daniel Hillis's short book brilliantly demonstrates—is that computers' seemingly complex operations can be broken down into a few simple parts that perform the same simple procedures over and over again.

Computer wizard Hillis offers an easy-to-fol
Published October 8th 1999 by Basic Books (first published 1998)

Hesam
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اول- همانگونه که از زیرعنوان کتاب برمی آید،- مبانی مفهومی کامپیوتر-، کتاب را می توان به نوعی نگاهی مرتبه دوم و فلسفی به مفاهیم کامپیوتر دانست. اگرچه گاهی این مرزها در نوردیده شده و به مفاهیم جزیی و کاربردی داخل می شود اما با این حال وجه نگاه مرتبه دوم به کامپیوتر یا به عبارتی توجه به «کامپیوتر بماهو کامپیوتر» ، وجه غالب کتاب محسوب میشود. از آن جمله توجه به اصل انتزاع کارکردی که به واسطه ی آن مفاهیم و مبانی کامپیوتر مستقل از تکنولوژی بیان میگردند؛ حال چندان مهم نیست که کامپیوتر تو هیدرولیکی باشد ...more
Scott Johnson
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a weird one for me....

On the one hand, I'm not the intended audience. I understand how computers work more than most, that's literally my job to write the software that runs the internet.

On the other, I AM the intended audience, because I have zero clue how computers work on a hardware level.

On a mutant third hand, I'm not really the intended audience again, because I intimately understand the physics behind all of the individual components....complex impedence, inductance, breakdown vol
Ovidiu Neatu
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good preview of what computer science is about.
For a person who wants to join the field this may give a hint for paths you can chose from within the domain.
Mbogo J
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Daniel Hillis conceived of this book to explain the holistic view of the modern day computer, how hardware and software combine to generate the final products that we the users see. In a way he succeeded in explaining the concepts such that any person with minimal background knowledge on computers can understand.

My qualms with this book are more because of me rather than the book itself. I had picked this book in the hope that it will somehow explain to me how the logic gates and their operation
David
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was very, very impressed by The Pattern on the Stone. Hillis explains, in terms that anyone can understand, how computers work from the most basic principals. A previous familiarity with any or all of the principals will make understanding easier, but is entirely unnecessary. There is no prerequisite to reading this book.

I will be completely honest: I don't think there is any one topic in this book that I had not already explored in other reading. However, I've never seen it all described toge
Chris Aldrich
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Biomedical and electrical engineering freshmen
I wish I had been made to read this as a senior in high school, or as a freshman in college. I highly recommend it to beginning electrical engineering and biomedical engineering students, as well as those interested in broad-based popular science.

It provides a great overview of the fields of electrical engineering and even some biomedical engineering, pulling together many of their interdivisional ideas while covering topics like Boolean algebra/logic, feedback control systems, biology, the brai
Rachel Smalter Hall
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was super excited to dig into this book and FINALLY understand everything there is to know about computers! It promised to be written for morons like me who didn't understand the first thing about input, output, and boolean logic gates. Transistors, what? Functional abstraction??? Anyway, I think I sort-of get it now. Hillis is pretty good at transforming all that linear engineer stuff into a narrative that I can grasp and understand. Nevertheless, it's all still a little bit hazy, and the las ...more
Chris Esposo
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though dated, this is a still-relevant high-level basic tour on the architecture of digital computers. It goes through the processor, memory, disk, and how computation is executed through these and other components. One big omission of detail is anything to do with circuit topology and gate-logics. Though, a good layman book on that is "The Engineer and the Logician", parts of which are fairly technical, and thus at a slightly higher level of difficulty with respect to written detail.

This book h
Paul
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book. As Hillis points out in the intro, anyone reading Pattern on the Stone will likely already be familiar with most of the concepts involved, but his simple, elegant description of the basics of computing is never less than fascinating. The bootstrapping through layers of abstraction is particularly well-described, and this book marks the first time that I actually understood what would make quantum computing so powerful.

The only downside of this book is Hillis's random in
Kenta Suzuki
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is good for someone who wants to understand overall concepts of CS; hardware, software, algorithms, artificial intelligence. This book scratches the surface of these subjects and this does not go into depth. This book may not be for type of person who likes to study calculus with precise limit approach (meaning that clear and rigorous definition are better than fuzzy explanation to understanding) since there are lots of abstractions and analogy of concepts in this book which some peopl ...more
Chris
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice short book explaining generally how computers work, from things like boolean logic, to how we build up complex architectures, to more advanced topics like parallel and evolutionary computing. I read this to see if it might be something my kids could read, or could be a general explanation for various people. I think if you're interested in computers, and want an easy to read explanation of the basics of how they work and a few other topics, it's a nice short read.
Mitch McKinnon
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ai
This book took familiar concepts and was able to explain them in terms that were not too complex. I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised by the advanced topics that it ventured into by the end and it's fun to read his perspective as we see some of these technologies becoming realized right now. Since the book was written in 1998, the age is definitely starting to show in some of the language used.
Lidia
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cool logic
Faiz
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is what an intro to computer science should be.
Yashar8373
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
من چاپ اول ۱۳۸۷ رو دارم تنها اشکالش ترجمه و نگارش اونه اشتباه و کژتابی داره بعضی جاها، ولی در مجموع کتاب بسیار بسیار آموزندهای هستش. ...more
Huy Vo
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
This book is for people who have just got into computing or computer-related fields. After reading this book, you'll see the world as simple as an electrical switch with on and off buttons (say 1 and 0 in bits). For instance, a light can be either on or off (1 or 0). A house is either built or unbuilt. An idea could be either developed or undeveloped. You haven't thought of them as a same thing before? Well, me neither..but we'll change this.
The book will give you a deeper dig into more fascinat
Zeliang
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think it is a marvelous introductory book to the field of CS. It guides you to a glimpse of a number of most tempting aspects of this subject, although it is not in-depth and detailed. At least it triggered my motive to study CS for at least 4 years in the university.
Greg Talbot
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Our dependence on computers is hardly questionable. Email, social media, typing, and searching for information, it's hard to imagine going back to the old days.

Hillis is a book about ideas. Ideas about what computers are, some processes they are involved with, and the future of what computers can be.

Some of my favorite things from the book is how Hillis deconstructs what computers are. Using the simple functions - and, or, invent, he not only opens the doors to programming instructions and lang
Nat
After reading this, I think I should add a "logic gates" unit to my intro logic course, explaining the relevance of Boolean logic to the foundations of computer science. The opening sections of this book would be ideal for teaching undergrads that material. This also contains some anti-"What Computers Can't Do" disses if you're into that kind of thing.
Josh Friedlander
This is everything that popular science writing should be, and it's the product not of a professional writer, but of an engineer who clearly loves what he does. Full of clever, non-technical analogies and explanations that make you go "Ah, OK! That's what people mean by that term!" Also helpful is a warning before a tricky section, explaining that if you get lost you'll still follow the rest of the book. Hillis, a long-time AI evangelist, says some not very nice things about philosophers of mind ...more
Nayef Ahmad
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucid and concise. And there's no question that the author knows his stuff: in the 1980s, he pioneered the idea of massively parallel computing, which is now ubiquitous in supercomputers. Excerpt: "Of course, I had heard of Amdahl's Law [check Wikipedia]... yet I was certain, though I could not prove it, that Amdahl's Law did not apply to the problems I was trying to solve. The reason I was so confident was that the problems I was working on had already been solved on a massively parallel proces ...more
Senthil Kumaran
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Clearly written account on what is Computer Science. This is book is not about technology, but the concepts and ideas which make the computers work. While reading the first chapter itself, I recollected the Computer Built using MineCraft (Check the video in youtube if you did not know already) because it details about Computers built using sticks. It goes on to explain about Finite state machines, computer architecture, Programming languages and storage, error detecting and error correcting code ...more
Eyana
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Provides comprehensive introduction about fundamentals in computer science. I still find this book too verbose for beginners, but concepts introduced are good starting point for further study and research. Could have been a better read if more real-life analogies and illustrations are provided for clearer explanation.

Some topics covered include the following:
fundamental abstraction, boolean, finite-state mechanism, programming, algorithms and heuristics, quantum computing, turing machine, etc.
Emily
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to computers, especially on the hardware side. I thought that I would be "beyond it," but my knowledge of what actually goes on inside the computer turns out to be pretty small. :) Since the basics of computers have stayed similar over the years, it is remarkably relevant for a computer book of its age, and concludes with an interesting disucssion of AI that makes me want to dig more into the subject. I definitely recommend it -- for budding computer scientists and h ...more
Tom
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book that introduces the theory behind modern computers. It does a good job of explaining the basic of Boolean logic, logic blocks, and algorithms and heuristics in an easy to understand way. If you are looking for in-depth explanations this isn't the book for you. If you want something that explains why computers work (and why they break) then this is an excellent primer.
John Orman
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
How do computers really work? That is the question this book attempts to answer. The author is the designer of the world's fastest computer, but he does succeed in explaining computers' complexity with simple analogies that can be understood by people without a scientific background.

From Turing Machines to Quantum Computing by machines that learn and adapt, it is all in here!
Eric
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want a general understanding of computers
The book started off slow but the topics covered at the end of the book were interesting. I imagine that the more knowledge you have concerning these subjects, the less enjoyable and useful this book will be to you.
Chris Callaway
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
2.5 stars. There were times I wished I could press the author to clarify his meaning. But this is the only introduction to computer science I have read, so I'm not sure how well it compares to others.
Alexi Parizeau
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is basically a review of what you learn in an intro to computer science course. I gotta say I'm very impressed by how brilliantly the concepts are explained; definitely better than any textbook I've read! It's super short and definitely worth a read!
Mark
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-ages-ago
Easily the best introduction I know to what computing is about. It's quite clear — I read The Pattern on the Stone around the age of 14-17 or so, and as I flip through it now with a CS degree under my belt, I can only marvel how elegantly Hillis introduces many large and complicated topics.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine W. Daniel Hillis books 3 17 Aug 16, 2015 03:21PM
  • Cryptography: A Very Short Introduction
  • D Is for Digital: What a Well-Informed Person Should Know about Computers and Communications
  • The Night Is Large: Collected Essays, 1938-1995
  • Python in a Nutshell
  • How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know
  • Conversations on Science, Culture, and Time: Michel Serres with Bruno Latour
  • Computers & Typesetting, Volume A: The TeXBook
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • Potentialities: Collected Essays in Philosophy
  • Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)
  • The Age of Intelligent Machines
  • What Is Posthumanism?
  • The New Hacker's Dictionary
  • Dynamics of Software Development
  • The Faber Book of Science: Scientists and Writers Illuminate Natural Phenomena from Fossils To...
  • Nerds 2.0.1
  • Interface Culture: How New Technology Transforms the Way We Create and Communicate
  • Eniac: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the World's First Computer

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

The Science Masters Series (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • One Renegade Cell: The Quest For The Origin Of Cancer
  • River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life
  • Why Is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality (Science Masters)
  • The Last Three Minutes: Conjectures About The Ultimate Fate Of The Universe