Start by marking “Eight Bullets: One Woman's Story of Surviving Anti-Gay Violence” as Want to Read:
Eight Bullets: One Woman's Story of Surviving Anti-Gay Violence

Eight Bullets: One Woman's Story of Surviving Anti-Gay Violence

The lesbian victim of a violent hate crime that left her seriously wounded and her partner dead is the story of family and community, the medical system, the police and courts, and the media--and of one woman's incredible courage. Simultaneous. IP.
Published April 1st 1995 by Firebrand Books

To ask other readers questions about Eight Bullets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Bullets

Nicole
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Haunting. Once I started reading, I just couldn't put it down. It wasn't the easiest book I've read - it was heart-wrenching to read through every single detail of the horror she (and Rebecca) encountered. But it's a story that needs to be told - everyone, no matter where you sit on the spectrum of sexual orientation, should read this book.
Addison Conley
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read this in late 2005 when Evelyn loaned it to me. We were in Hawaii. Ev is a fantastic person - full of life, love, and smiles. One day, that smile dimmed. I will never forget the tears and pain as Ev told me about her murdered sister, Rebecca. The book is written by Rebecca's surviving girlfriend Claudia. This tragic story is also a healing story, but one that you will shed tears over. Why read sad stories? Because we must never forget.

I originally had a date typo. Oh my, how the time
Zachary Matson
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very powerful.
Chelsea Marie
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was very hesitant about starting this book. I am not the kind of person that enjoys reading about traumatic experiences and, as a gay woman, I was worried that this would hit too close to home. I was worried that I would live in fear and that I would feel scared for my marriage.

Instead, I feel inspired. The foreword of Eight Bullets tells the gripping, terrifying experience of Claudia Brenner and Rebecca Wight. Targeted, stalked, and hunted for their sexuality, Rebecca was killed and Claudia
Ty Kuta
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this book. It was a difficult read, and hit close to home, but was very powerful. The book was easy to read, frank in it’s discussion about Brenner’s privilege as a white middle class lesbian as she navigated the justice system, which I found refreshing. In an age of growing hate, it has made me slightly paranoid about going out into the woods with my girlfriend.

One of my biggest critiques is that there were so many moving parts and characters at play that they all becam
Alex
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Powerful, heart wrenching and emotive.
Lisa M.
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I had seen this book at my used bookstore several times, but I was always hesitant to buy it. On my birthday I took a trip to the bookstore and bought everything I could possibly want - including this. This is the first book of the bunch, and I am happy I read it.

This book details the attack that left Claudia's lover, Rebecca, dead, and Claudia shot five times. It also details the aftermath - Claudia's ongoing healing (physically and mentally,) the court case, and Claudia's involvement in gay p
Bobbiewawoo
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Started off with a transcript of the survivor talking about the incident which really should have been edited. As presented, it seemed more like babbling.

I found the switch between third person and first person narration annoying. Perhaps if these two different points of view would have been in separate chapters it would have helped.

Overall, it was an interesting story (true story) and a reminder of how far we have come as a society and how far we have *not* come.

I would recommend it for anyone
Mary
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: political, memoir
Though I read this many years ago, the images are still in my head. It is chilling and scary. Kudos to Claudia for staying brave throughout a horrific situation. I especially remember that when she went out to the road for help, the first car passed her by. When the second car went by, she just wouldn't take no for an answer; she MADE them give her a ride.
Life is just too weird and too full of hate sometimes.
Kasey
Aug 12, 2007 rated it did not like it
To be honest, I did not finish this book. I simply couldn't. The story is important; the life altering events involved are absolutely harrowing. The author's heavy dollops of platitudes, no style style, hard to follow thought processes and overall clumsy writing were ultimately too distracting for me.
William Rock
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story of survival. I was fortunate to meet this woman after she wrote this novel. It really is a great story that tells about a persons ability to survive both in life and the ignorance of prejudice.
Robin
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The crime which is the subject of this book was mentioned in A Walk in the Woods. I started this book the same day I finished Walk in the Woods and I finished it that same day. Given, it is a not a big book, but it was very well written and so personal that the time just flew.
Kathy
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, memoir
Immensely disturbing.
Andrea
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I remember this book and that it wasn't the best written book in the world but carried the message of acceptance.
Mel
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reminds me why it's important to stand up and continue to fight.
Rhonda Stormy
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well told enough to make me not want to hike. Scary but a great story of endurance and survival.
Tommy
Mar 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hikers, Women, Sensitive males
Painfully gripping book about the reality of hate. It is a story of survival of the greatest degree. A fun camping trip turns into a nightmare when one idiot shoots at two lesbians.
Jeanne
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Virtual Equality: The Mainstreaming of Gay and Lesbian Liberation
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
  • One Degree of Separation
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods—My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine
  • Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism
  • Infinite Loop
  • Daughters of a Coral Dawn
  • Transgender Liberation: A Movement Whose Time Has Come
  • When I Knew
  • Wasted Heart
  • Rainey's Christmas Miracle  (Rainey Bell, #2.5)
  • Passion Bay (Moon Island, # 1)
  • My Dangerous Desires: A Queer Girl Dreaming Her Way Home