Start by marking “Echo After Echo” as Want to Read:
Echo After Echo

Echo After Echo

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  361 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Debuting on the New York stage, Zara is unprepared—for Eli, the girl who makes the world glow; for Leopold, the director who wants perfection; and for death in the theater.

Zara Evans has come to the Aurelia Theater, home to the visionary director Leopold Henneman, to play her dream role in Echo and Ariston, the Greek tragedy that taught her everything she knows about love.
Published October 10th 2017 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Echo After Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echo After Echo

Melanie
“This is the Aurelia Theater. It feels like coming home.”

Echo after Echo is an own voices novel, that has such a beautiful f/f romance, surrounding a Broadway theater crew getting ready for opening night, while also trying to solve a murder mystery that may or may not be a curse set on the theater they all love and adore. I devoured this with a smile on my face. I was completely enthralled and immersed by this. I love this story with my entire being.

This theater crew has from November 5th t
Elise (TheBookishActress)
The thing I keep coming back to about Echo after Echo is the sheer power of the writing. Almost everything about this book is awesome, but the writing is stunning. It is "I will remember this for the rest of my life" stunning. I genuinely do not remember the last time I read a book written so beautifully. I wanted to highlight every other sentence but I didn't want to put it down because it was so. fucking. engaging. I am going to read every single thing Amy Rose Capetta publishes for the rest o ...more
Lola
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who would have thought playing the dream role of Echo in Echo and Ariston at the theater under the direction of the famous, creative and respected Leopold Henneman would be so dangerous?

And yet it is. Suddenly, Zara does not feel safe in New York anymore. Who would, after mysterious deaths occur, and no one seems to be of blame? Luckily, she has Eli, who works on the production as a lightening assistant.

But her relationship with Eli is precarious, too, seeing that she was forbidden from committi

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🌟 I read this for the Yule Bingo Challenge, for the category of Nagini: Book with betrayal. For more info on this challenge, click here. 🌟

"An art monster is someone who gives his entire life over to creation" (207)

Finally! An F/F YA romance with substance!

Zara is a teenage actress who moves to New York when she finds out she's received the role of Echo, in the play Echo and Ariston. She's instantly blown away by the glamor of New York, th
Mel (Epic Reading)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-netgalley
It's so rare to find a book where the main characters are LGBTQ and their love story isn't engulfed in stigma or cultural acceptance. For me what makes Echo After Echo so wonderful is that at its core it's a love story that is not contrived, forced or surrounded in stigma.

The Love Story
Perhaps this will not make sense to some, but I just have to say that for me (a bi-sexual woman), it is so refreshing to read a story where a woman falls in love with another woman and the basis of that love has
Sabrina
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2017
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

This book has the perfect elements of mystery, suspense and romance! I was afraid that I would not like this book because of the theater like elements but I was so wrong. It was actually one of the things I loved most about this book. AND there is a f/f romance AND one of the characters is bi. The writing is lyrical and enchanting. What more do you need from this book? Everyone needs this book!!
Acqua
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Echo After Echo is a f/f murder mystery set in a theater. I thought a book with a premise such as this couldn't be boring, but Echo After Echo had pacing problems, and that wasn't even the only thing that went wrong.

Even mystery books I didn't love - for example, Far From You and Dangerous Girls - took me half a day. I read 90% of my one true weird love A Line in the Dark in one afternoon.
Echo After Echo took me almost a week.

What I love about mystery books is that the tension keeps me reading e
Jen Ryland
This was really different -- in a good way -- and I hope I can convince others to try it. It's a story about role-playing - both in relationships and on the stage. It's a really sweet f/f love story. It's also a murder mystery.

And as I read it I couldn't stop thinking about Harvey Weinstein.

Why? Check out my blog review here!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com or check out my Bookstagram!

I received a free advance copy of this book from the publisher for possible review.
TL
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh *shrugs*
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
My Video Review

So much diversity! A bisexual female Jewish protagonist, a lesbian Puerto Rican secondary character, and a side character who talks about his experience with ADHD and dyslexia.

Unfortunately I found the ending to be abrupt, but other than that I really enjoyed it.
Dahlia
Gorgeous, intense, romantic, mysterious, and a really pleasant surprise to me in the Jewish rep, too.
Shelly
This was just amazing. The perfect amount of suspense/mystery mixed in with the theatre elements and the romance was just extraordinary. Add it to your TBR immediately!
Savannah (The Book Prophet)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This in no way effects my overall rating of this book.

This is shamefully the first book I’ve ever read with a f/f relationship as the main focus. I’ve read books with female couples on the side but not as the center focus of the story. That’s the main reason I decided to read this book since I’ve never read it before.

The book also follows a young actress trying to make it in the theater world, another topic I haven’t
Aleksandra
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
YA murder mystery with bisexual lead set in theater that you always wanted!
(at least that I wanted and I’m so happy with this book!)

Echo After Echo is a standalone novel about young actress Zara getting the lead role in Echo and Ariston play in famous New York theater. We follow the production of the play, rehearsals and backstage activities. On the first day, the light designer dies and things get worse from their.
It’s difficult read, the author doesn’t glamorize the realities of theater life.

Z
Kelly
The romance between Zara, a bisexual who names her identity powerfully, and Eli is really great. The setting is engaging and exciting, and I love the whole idea of a teen leaving home early to follow her theater dreams.

But the mystery was so weak and felt really shoved in. I never got a sense of Leopold beyond a stereotypical skeezy director. I think this could have been an awesome romance OR an awesome mystery, but bringing them together just didn't work. It was overlong and unfortunately, it u
Joanne
"Perhaps it is most important to be making art when death is all around. This is when we need the perfect story."

HI THIS WAS GORGEOUS I'M IN LOVE
Stella (Paper Wings)
Wowww this book took me completely by surprise!! I picked it up for the romance and got invested in the mystery. I also just went to a (pretty gay!) women's march this morning, so this was the perfect book for the day! It's super timely and much deeper than I expected.

☆Characters☆
Zara is such a powerful, precious squishbean!! And says she's bisexual on👏 the 👏 page!👏 Eli is hilarious and beautiful, and, and, and, they just broke my heart, y'all. The side characters are all interesting, too! They'
Megan
Literally, the first word that comes to mind when I think about this novel is 'adorable'. Zara is adorable. Eli is adorable. They are bloody adorable together, and I think my stone-cold heart nearly burst from the sheer cuteness of it all.

It took a little bit of effort to get into the writing style at the beginning of this one, but once I managed to settle in, then I was pretty much hooked. I loved the concept of the novel, I loved how quickly I became defensive over characters, and I loved how
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher as a reviewer for YA Books Central.
Diversity Rating: 3 - Closer to Reality
Racial-Ethnic:
3 (Eli is Puerto Rican, Zara is culturally Jewish)
QUILTBAG: 5 (Eli is a lesbian, Zara is bi, and there are plenty of QUILTBAG side characters)
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 3

Much like we now own every rainbow in existence, queer people own the world of theater. We may not always be visible, but we're definitely there. (I'm
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Around 3.5/5 stars? This is a murder mystery set in a sort of greek tragedy play with... a f/f romance between a fat jewish bisexual actress and a PUERTO RICAN lesbian lighting assistant and W O W. I had my doubts about it at first because the pacing seemed very slow and I wasn't sure what was going on, but after it passes the 60% mark things kind of start falling into place and there are a lot of red herrings but the romance!! Wow the romance was so sweet and angsty without being bad or trope ...more
Lea (drumsofautumn)
holy SHIT?????? gimme some time to recover before I review this but holyyyyyy SHITTTT
ellie
This book. Where do I start? Oh, of course. The writing. The incredibly beautiful writing that had no business being this beautiful when it was talking about a mystery set during a play. It's like...Phantom of the Opera, but without all the dramatic singing. There's still a murderous, complex man, but he doesn't really love anyone, and he doesn't wear a mask. But the whole vibe of this book fits that story, you know? But wait. Let me back up. Let me show you how beautiful the writing is:

"Once I
KTReads
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heeeee! I read this before most of you, and it's so so good! Pure dark sparkle magic, with sexy sprinkles on top.
Shay McClean
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's an LGBTQ love story / murder mystery set in a theatre on Broadway. IS THERE ANYTHING ABOUT THAT SENTENCE THAT ISN'T AWESOME
Ren (A Bookish Balance)
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
** Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of Echo After Echo in exchange for an honest review **

3.5/5 stars.

Echo After Echo follows an actress named Zara Evans who has just gotten her first big break. She is cast as Echo in the Greek tragedy Echo & Ariston, a play directed by the well-known director Leopold Henneman, and held at the iconic Aurelia Theatre. Leopold is demanding to the point of where things are somewhat disturbing, and he often places his actors in uncomfort
Tainá
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zara leaves her home on her senior year of high school to seize a one in a life time opportunity: being the lead actress on her favorite play directed by Leopold Henneman himself. As soon as she gets there though, things start to go wrong, a man dies, she has to live with someone who clearly wanted her part on the play and she couldn’t feel more alone. That’s when she meets Eli, a girl who she pays too much attention to and who insists that the recent accident is ‘the wrong color’.

Even though it
April
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story follows bi-sexual theater teen Zara Evans as she gets her dream role as Echo at the Aurelia Theater. But the theater is full of tragedy and Zara is surrounded by mystery, deaths, and a drastically abusive famous director. But there's also love; something Zara has never found before but feels growing between her and the snarky young lighting assistant, Eli. Eli is a girl of tattoos, light, laughter, and from the first moment she sees Zara on-stage she knows she's in trouble. This was d ...more
Laura (bbliophile)
I kind of DNF'd this because I just didn't really care? I had such high expectations of this one but I felt kind of bored while listening to it :(
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Walker Books Australia for review.

The first thing you probably need to know about Echo After Echo is that there are a lot of POVs. From the blurb I thought this book was going to be about Zara, and then when Eli’s chapters started I was like: yeah, okay, that sometimes happens. And then when almost everyone in the theatre had at least one POV chapter I was a little overwhelmed. Especially since I didn’t feel like a lot of them were necessary. In a mystery/thr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Amy Rose Capetta studied theater at the Stella Adler Studio as a teenager before spending four years in a Shakespeare troupe. Echo After Echo is her first book with Candlewick Press. Amy Rose Capetta lives in Michigan.
More about Amy Rose Capetta

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“I have learned that fear is a kind of death.” 0 likes