Jump to ratings and reviews

Introducing Go: Build Reliable, Scalable Programs

Perfect for beginners familiar with programming basics, this hands-on guide provides an easy introduction to Go, the general-purpose programming language from Google. Author Caleb Doxsey covers the language’s core features with step-by-step instructions and exercises in each chapter to help you practice what you learn.

Go is a general-purpose programming language with a clean syntax and advanced features, including concurrency. This book provides the one-on-one support you need to get started with the language, with short, easily digestible chapters that build on one another. By the time you finish this book, not only will you be able to write real Go programs, you'll be ready to tackle advanced techniques.

* Jump into Go basics, including data types, variables, and control structures
* Learn complex types, such as slices, functions, structs, and interfaces
* Explore Go’s core library and learn how to create your own package
* Write tests for your code by using the language’s go test program
* Learn how to run programs concurrently with goroutines and channels
* Get suggestions to help you master the craft of programming

124 pages, Paperback

2 books8 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
20 (7%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 44 reviews
Profile Image for Kemel Zaidan.
27 reviews6 followers
November 17, 2017
The book brings a very introductory view of the Go programming language. The problem is that it seems to focus on Go as the first programming language, since it goes from the very first beginning explaining what is a variable a function etc.

This makes the book a little boring if you already know another programming language. It also makes the author to spend too much time with the basics and not much with Go particular features that makes the language stand, which are goroutines and channel. Those parts have a very brief overview and were the ones which deserves more attention.
Profile Image for Eric Mesa.
667 reviews17 followers
May 5, 2021
Over my many years as a programmer (and now boss of programmers) I've read many of O'Reilly's series - Learning {language}, Programming {language}, {language} in a Nutshell, {language} Pocket Reference. This is the first time (that I can remember) that I've read a book in the "Introducing" series. I'd say this book is great for someone who already knows how to program, but wants to get a feel for the syntax Go uses. That does mean that the early chapters that introduce conditionals and loops are a bit elementary, but I have a hard time feeling that someone who's never programmed before would really get the later chapters with pointers. Each chapter ends with some questions that makes me wonder if this book was developed to be a textbook for an introduction to programming high school or university class. It would certainly work well for a dev who has the support of a teacher and/or TAs.

I breezed through it because I'm planning on using O'Reilly's Head First Go book to truly learn go. It's a lot more comprehensive and I think the Head First philosophy of using visual learning tools will serve my learning style well.

If you want a reference guide this isn't it. But if you want a quick intro to the Go syntax, it's read.
Profile Image for Matthew Balshaw.
76 reviews1 follower
January 27, 2023
Super quick read. Didn't find it that useful except for basic syntax and a few of the concepts. Honestly you'd be better off reading some blog post tutorials and watching a few videos on YouTube.
Profile Image for Serhat M..
2 reviews1 follower
March 18, 2021
A good introductory book for Go, which can be quickly consumed to get an idea about the language and its concepts.

I wouldn't suggest this book if you have no previous programming experience, it's more like an introduction book for people coming to GoLang from other programming languages.

For an introductory book, some chapters such as HTTP, TCP and PRC were completely unnecessary. These chapters were also quite weak, and the author simply skipped them with snippets with no explanation.
Profile Image for Mathi Fonseca.
76 reviews3 followers
March 24, 2019
If you're an experienced programmer in other languages, this book is NOT a good resource to start. The approach is for beginners, as it even explains what a variable is for example. If this is the case, the book is a good introduction to the craft (maybe not the first I would read though).
In case you are an experienced programmer and want to get to know Go and its differences with other languages, I recommend a different book, like Go in Action from Manning.
Profile Image for Tuomas.
2 reviews
February 15, 2022
As the title suggests, this was a good introduction to the language, its basic concepts and syntax. A nice book to read through relatively quickly to get a general idea. It's not really an introduction to programming, so some familiarity with the topic is recommended. Particularly the more important chapters regarding Go, i.e. interfaces and concurrency, were quite informative and enjoyable to read, but the book never goes very deep on any particular topic. You can think of that as a negative or a positive, but as an introduction it serves its purpose well.
76 reviews
October 2, 2017
As an introductory book, this one is ok. I quite like the fact of being able go read a technical book in an afternoon, but that comes with obvious compromises. Don't expect to finish the book and start coding by yourself. The topics are not connected and you will need extra references to build anything real with the language.
91 reviews1 follower
August 1, 2020
A very short book with what is, in my opinion, a very good introduction to the language. I had only heard of the language but never actually seen any code in go. This small book covers the basics very well.

It uses most of the common tropes used by introductory books like printing hello world so overall, the book is very approachable and recommended for any absolute beginner to the language
Profile Image for Othello.
10 reviews
September 13, 2021
Very short and precise book on Go. Ideal for the experienced programmer who wants a taste of things in Go. Short exercises with solutions make it immensely useful for the motivated programmer who can complete it in a few days or a week. Once this is done, pick up "The Go Programming Language" for a detailed treatment.
Profile Image for Kaido.
160 reviews
July 2, 2017
As an introducing book it was quite ok. As with this book and recent programming books, they talk a lot about simple things and in the end when are more harder things only half of the page or less is used to make things clear.
Profile Image for Andi Dirgantara.
20 reviews2 followers
September 10, 2018
Great reference for beginner, as the title stated. Only cover basic understanding to Go language. Straight forward and there are questions by the end of every section, so we can test our understanding by ourself. Recommended, for new comer.
Profile Image for Andrew.
591 reviews5 followers
November 16, 2018
A nearly minimalist introduction to Go, in print format. Some of the syntactic sugar feels glossed over, so a close reading is still require for readers previously using dynamically types languages with garbage collection.
Profile Image for vinayak karigar.
14 reviews
October 29, 2020
Serves as a good introduction to the go language.
Pros: it can be read quickly to get the general understanding of the language.
Cons: We need to explore further before being able to write efficient go programs using its advanced features.
8 reviews
November 4, 2020
Before entering the world of go lang this book is must to read. A very small book which can give a tour through basic concepts of go. If a person is already a programmer in other technology then s\he can easily understand this book.
Profile Image for Thibault.
13 reviews1 follower
January 30, 2021
A good book, but a bit too simple for people experienced with any other programming language. Only got really interesting towards the end.

I suggest reading blog posts and go documentation instead which is roughly the equivalent of this book for experienced programmers.
January 2, 2018
Good one as an introduction to the language. Don't try to expect much from this book. There is only basic explanation of the main concepts which can be an excellent starting point in learning Go.
Profile Image for John Weis.
94 reviews5 followers
February 26, 2018
For the beginner, this is a good introduction to the language. For those with moderate programming experience, it should take an afternoon to work through.
Profile Image for Ahmad Magdy.
1 review1 follower
August 29, 2018
It's good to refresh your information about Go, but not that good for beginners because it needs more details and more aspects to cover
Profile Image for Lee.
30 reviews
June 24, 2020
The book was good with its examples, but it didn't dig deep enough for me into golang when it came to go-routines and channels.
4 reviews1 follower
October 1, 2020
Great summary treatment

I wish all programming books were this succinct. I guess that's a tribute to the Go language designers, too. Great stuff.
Profile Image for John.
36 reviews
March 7, 2021
Good introduction

Quickly introduces key concepts but doesn’t get too bogged down in details and leaves that for a later book that you might read about Go.
Profile Image for Vadim Serdyuk.
10 reviews
August 2, 2021
Great book for the start. Slightly outdated information regarding the current go modules approach, but still an excellent one to start with.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 44 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.