Start by marking “Introducing Go: Build Reliable, Scalable Programs” as Want to Read:
Introducing Go: Build Reliable, Scalable Programs

Introducing Go: Build Reliable, Scalable Programs

Perfect for beginners familiar with programming basics, this hands-on guide provides an easy introduction to Go, the general-purpose programming language from Google. Author Caleb Doxsey covers the language’s core features with step-by-step instructions and exercises in each chapter to help you practice what you learn.

Go is a general-purpose programming language with a cle
Published February 16th 2016 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 25th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Go

Start your review of Introducing Go: Build Reliable, Scalable Programs
Kemel Zaidan
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: it-books
The book brings a very introductory view of the Go programming language. The problem is that it seems to focus on Go as the first programming language, since it goes from the very first beginning explaining what is a variable a function etc.

This makes the book a little boring if you already know another programming language. It also makes the author to spend too much time with the basics and not much with Go particular features that makes the language stand, which are goroutines and channel. Tho
Serhat M.
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: golang
A good introductory book for Go, which can be quickly consumed to get an idea about the language and its concepts.

I wouldn't suggest this book if you have no previous programming experience, it's more like an introduction book for people coming to GoLang from other programming languages.

For an introductory book, some chapters such as HTTP, TCP and PRC were completely unnecessary. These chapters were also quite weak, and the author simply skipped them with snippets with no explanation.
Thông Nguyễn
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad for an introducing book.
Chris
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
I enjoyed reading this book on Go. I had to decide whether to give it 4 or 5.

This is a good introduction to the Go programming language in 100 pages.

The reasons I would give it 4 is that it seems to ramp up towards the end and might leave someone with less experience behind. I thought I found a couple of typos in the code in the later chapter, but that could just be my fingers!

So why did I give it 5? Quite simply, I read it in under 10 days and was able to get an appreciation of the language.
Mathi Fonseca
If you're an experienced programmer in other languages, this book is NOT a good resource to start. The approach is for beginners, as it even explains what a variable is for example. If this is the case, the book is a good introduction to the craft (maybe not the first I would read though).
In case you are an experienced programmer and want to get to know Go and its differences with other languages, I recommend a different book, like Go in Action from Manning.
Tbueno
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
As an introductory book, this one is ok. I quite like the fact of being able go read a technical book in an afternoon, but that comes with obvious compromises. Don't expect to finish the book and start coding by yourself. The topics are not connected and you will need extra references to build anything real with the language. ...more
Sai Rahul Poruri
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very short book with what is, in my opinion, a very good introduction to the language. I had only heard of the language but never actually seen any code in go. This small book covers the basics very well.

It uses most of the common tropes used by introductory books like printing hello world so overall, the book is very approachable and recommended for any absolute beginner to the language
Kaido
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it-developement
As an introducing book it was quite ok. As with this book and recent programming books, they talk a lot about simple things and in the end when are more harder things only half of the page or less is used to make things clear.
Andi Dirgantara
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great reference for beginner, as the title stated. Only cover basic understanding to Go language. Straight forward and there are questions by the end of every section, so we can test our understanding by ourself. Recommended, for new comer.
Andrew
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A nearly minimalist introduction to Go, in print format. Some of the syntactic sugar feels glossed over, so a close reading is still require for readers previously using dynamically types languages with garbage collection.
vinayak karigar
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Serves as a good introduction to the go language.
Pros: it can be read quickly to get the general understanding of the language.
Cons: We need to explore further before being able to write efficient go programs using its advanced features.
Smartaquarius
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Before entering the world of go lang this book is must to read. A very small book which can give a tour through basic concepts of go. If a person is already a programmer in other technology then s\he can easily understand this book.
Thibault
Jan 30, 2021 rated it liked it
A good book, but a bit too simple for people experienced with any other programming language. Only got really interesting towards the end.

I suggest reading blog posts and go documentation instead which is roughly the equivalent of this book for experienced programmers.
Maxim Proskurnia
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good one as an introduction to the language. Don't try to expect much from this book. There is only basic explanation of the main concepts which can be an excellent starting point in learning Go. ...more
John Weis
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comp-sci, 2018
For the beginner, this is a good introduction to the language. For those with moderate programming experience, it should take an afternoon to work through.
Arquero
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Another edition of 'An Introduction to Programming in Go' ...more
Zhang Zhishan
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
too simple.
Ahmad Magdy
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
It's good to refresh your information about Go, but not that good for beginners because it needs more details and more aspects to cover ...more
Deny Prasetyo
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well.. Usual Golang book
Nikolay
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Very introductory, but worth a quick check of fundamentals.
Lee
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: computer-it
The book was good with its examples, but it didn't dig deep enough for me into golang when it came to go-routines and channels. ...more
David
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great summary treatment

I wish all programming books were this succinct. I guess that's a tribute to the Go language designers, too. Great stuff.
Adam B
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good intro, albeit a little light
Stijn
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet.
Mikkel Steen Birkedam
I learned what I was supposed to I guess.
John
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction

Quickly introduces key concepts but doesn’t get too bogged down in details and leaves that for a later book that you might read about Go.
GaoFeng
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: geek
In nutshell, fantastic for beginner and waste of time for intermediate. "Go in action" would be better choice for intermediate level developer. ...more
Laurent
Jan 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: prog-languages, go
This is the worst computing book I have read in a long time. Making a book an "intro for beginners" should not become a pretext for loosely and incompletely touching, in what appears like a semi random fashion, on the concepts of the language. Targeting it for beginners relieve the author of any moral obligation to make connections with other similar concepts from other languages, and calling it an intro gives him a convenient way to get away with a less that thorough review of these concepts. A ...more
Rosa
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
It's ok for a first contact with the language, but it lacks some rigorousness and structure. Being a software engineer myself, I felt that many details are left out and I was missing important bits while going through the chapters. If it's intended for beginners that don't necessarily have previous programming experience, I think it's not basic enough, those kind of readers would get lost very easily. It seems as if the book tries to get to both beginners and programmers, but it fails at being g ...more
Andrew Long
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
First half does an okay job introducing things, but when it dives into packages and what not it's random and a bit confusing. Spends about the same amount of time on everything, which is thorough for simple topics and basically skimming the surface for complex topics. ...more

• Go in Action
  • Terraform: Up & Running: Writing Infrastructure as Code
  • Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Learning iOS UI Development
  • Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
  • A Byte of Python
  • IOS Core Animation: Advanced Techniques
  • Cloud Native Devops with Kubernetes: Building, Deploying, and Scaling Modern Applications in the Cloud
  • Two Scoops of Django 1.11: Best Practices for the Django Web Framework
  • Effective Python: 59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python
  • The Little Redis Book
  • High Performance Django
  • Learning Python Testing
  • Lightweight Django: Using Rest, Websockets, and Backbone
  • Django Design Patterns and Best Practices

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »