Start by marking “Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)” as Want to Read:
Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)

Pirates (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #4)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,361 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
What were pirates really like? How did people become pirates? Where did pirates bury their treasure?
Dig up the answers to these questions and more in Magic Tree House Research Guide #4: Pirates, Jack and Annie’s very own guide to pirates. Includes information on pirate flags, pirate treasure, real-life pirates, walking the plank, and much more!
Published January 1st 2001 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirates

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, children
Is there any series of books that I more strongly recommend to the good readers at my primary school than Magic Tree House? And why is this my first venture into the research guides to the series? I don’t know why, but I intend to read more and promote these more. Every piece of information that an eight-year-old would want to know about pirates is in this book. And listen to this piece of advice in the Doing More Research section at the back of the book: “Here are some things to remember when y ...more
Dolly
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a good book in the Magic Tree House Research Guides series, but although our girls said they wanted to read it, the book didn't seem to hold their interest. It has lots of information about the history, life and the types of treasure they were after. It also discusses a few pirate ships that were recovered in the last 20 years, showing a bit of their sunken treasure. These are great books that have fun formats and are very good for providing a lot more information about the topics we're ...more
Juanita
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young children
Recommended to Juanita by: elementary school
Shelves: my-baby-s-reads
Pirates was so much fun and educational! My son loved it and read without protest almost every night. Pirates is a subject that he is interested in and so it was a breeze to read. It listed several kinds of pirates from all over the world and even showed that women were pirates as well. It has a glossary and black and white pictures that children can relate to, helping them to enjoy the read better. This book was a history lesson and my son didn't even know it! The myth of piracy disappeared as ...more
Erin Logan
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This nonfiction companion to the fictional Magic Tree House book Pirates Past Noon really gives the facts about pirates in a kid-friendly manner without sugarcoating or distorting true history. The book mentions Christopher Columbus but paints him as a bit of a thief over a hero. It depicts pirate life as boring, disgusting, and unpleasant rather than cool. I plan to purchase and read more of these nonfiction companions to their fictional counterparts. Good job, Mary Pope Osborne!
Shawn
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
this book tells a lot of pirate stuff if you like pirates you should read this book.
Drury
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kids
I read this book to my five year-old in return for her reading the fictional companion to me. She really enjoyed learning about pirates, and this book was a good introduction. The only topic I wish this book would have covered in more detail was pirate speech. It did a decent job of introducing and giving the background on some of the terms (i.e. lubber = land lover), but did not cover all the pirate terms used in Pirates Past Noon (e.g. aye aye, nay, blast ye, cap'n). Overall, I personally thin ...more
Tara
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
I learned so much by reading this book. I thought it was super interesting and I wasn't that interested in the topic to begin with. I particularly liked the part where they listed famous pirates and what their real stories weren't.
Jonnathan Ortiz
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that any eight year old would want to read about Pirates! It encourages adventure, exploration and more!
I would use this book in my classroom when talking about Pirates and the oceans, and voyages that ships could have encountered.
Alex
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
🙁I enjoyed this book because I like weapons.🙁 I did not like this book because I do not like pirates.🙁
Beverly
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A quick overview of pirates. I learned a few things I didn't know such as that Sir Francis Drake was a pirate and that Julius Caesar was captured by pirates when he was young. I learned the difference between a schooner and a barque, a buccaneer and a privateer and a pirate. More comprehensive than I thought it would be. Includes an index and sources of further research in books, museums and videos.
Lari
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a great "boy book" for students just getting started on easy chapter books (although of course it's great for any pirate-lover!). I like this type of non-fiction book sometimes better than the more visually chaotic choices currently out there. It has a lot of information, but is still in a narrative form with different sidebars and plenty of pictures to keep it engaging. I'd have this in my classroom library and recommend it to any students who love pirates or adventures.
Marlee
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of great facts presented in a way that makes it fun for kids. This is a great book for any child wanting to learn about pirates. And if your child likes the magic tree house series, he/she will love that Jack and Annie are presenting all the information in the book.
Samuel Valentino
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pirates
Y'know, I'm going to give this five stars. Sure, it's a brief foray into the subject, but considering the age it's geared to, it seems to offer a lot of information. Light and fun to read, this would be especially good for a child of the appropriate age looking to get into the subject.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Informative on an age-appropriate level. I would have liked more but maybe that's because I'm an adult! I know a lot of pirate lore already though so my judgment of this one might be skewed.
Mary
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I just finished reading this book and wish I had had it when we were working on the pirate flag at school. It would have been a good book for referencing.
Gray Kemplin
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This teaches you about pirates. I really liked it.
Marya
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-series
Not bad. It doesn't actually lie (and it even gets away with saying how nasty a real pirate's life must have been), yet it does nothing to quench the little ones' fascination with the Jolly Roger.
PWRL
Mar 09, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Rebecca
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a good book for starting discovery of pirates. it goes with Pirates Past Noon. as all of Mary Pope Osborne books do, it encourages exploration, discovery and more.
Katie
This Magic Tree House Research Guide has all the info about pirates--flags, treasure, walking the plank, and more.
Kimberly
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it
The Research Guides are fantastic! They supplement the books so well.
Charissa
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lots of interesting information about all things pirate. Perfect for a kid who's really into pirates!
Melissa Namba
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, coplin
an excellent research guide for young readers. I love the research help given at the end as well as pointers about plagiarism and resource materials. Lots of interesting notes about pirates.
Emily Rosbottom
This is another great research guide, teaching students about the history of pirates. Pictures are descriptive and relevant. Margins teach new vocabulary to the reader.
Damen
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
good
M
Aye, Matey! Do you know the difference between a sloop and a schooner? What's a privateer? Who was Blackbeard? This companion book explains it all!
Sydney
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
ssir francis drake was the first englishman to travel around the world.
A.K. Klemm
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Elsa Binder
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dakota loved this one. She wanted to draw all of the ships. I have to say these are great non fiction books with age appropriate information.
Amanda
it was magical and interesting
  • Ancient Greece and the Olympics (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #10)

Magic Tree House Fact Tracker (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Dinosaurs (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #1)
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • Rain Forests (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #5)
  • Space (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #6)
  • Titanic (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #7)
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • Dolphins And Sharks (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #9)
  • Ancient Greece and the Olympics (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #10)
  • American Revolution (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #11)

Nonfiction Deals

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99