Start by marking “Jupiter (The Grand Tour, #9)” as Want to Read:
Jupiter (The Grand Tour, #9)

Jupiter

(The Grand Tour #9)

Jupiter is a boundless ocean, ten times wider than the entire planet Earth. Heated from below by the planet's seething core, it is the widest, deepest, most fearsome ocean in the solar system.
Idealistic young American scientist Grant Archer joins a clandestine expedition to this awesome new world. But Grant does not share the ideals of the scientists he accompanies: he has
Published February 18th 2002 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Jupiter, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Johnny
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ben Bova’s planetary exploration series continues with Jupiter. Bova is so identified with “hard” science-fiction that I remember being surprised that he would posit life on Mars in one of the earliest books in this space exploration series. Yet, I ended up fascinated with the way he did so. In Jupiter, he deals with the issue in an even more speculative (and interesting) way. The search for intelligent life on Jupiter is fascinating, as are the results of this interesting mission to probe the s ...more
Paul Weiss
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
How would you react to the discovery of intelligent alien life?

John Campbell, arguably the best known editor in the history of science fiction, once demanded of his writers, "Write me a story about an organism that thinks as well as a man, but not like a man." Probably the best known successful response to that challenge was Stanley Weinbaum's pseudo-ostrich Tweel in The Martian Odyssey. It's only my opinion, of course, but I believe that Hal Clement's Mesklinites, the bizarre natives of a world
Benoit Lelièvre
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was awkwardly fun. It's tempting to compare JUPITER and Arthur C. Clarke's classic Space Odyssey novels, which are about the same planet, right off the bat, but Ben Bova here created a novel that's both self-aware of Clarke's masterpiece and that manages not to repeat anything it says. JUPITER is bold, imaginative (and utterly improbable) science-fiction, but it's also fun in a very blunt way, which is utterly different from classic humorless and convoluted sci-fi novel. Ben Bova always cut ...more
AndrewP
I originally skipped over this book in the chronological order and thought I had missed something by what happened in 'The Silent War'. Turns out what I was looking for wasn't here either. That's one of the problems reading books in chronological order rather than publication order. However, no harm done as this appears to be a stand alone, with little linking it the rest of the Grand Tour series. My best guess is that the info I was expecting to find here is in the book 'Saturn'.

The story of an
Clark Hallman
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Jupiter, by Ben Bova, was first published in 2001, and is part of Bova’s Grand Tour series, which deals with the exploration and colonization of the solar system by humans in the late 21st century. Grant Archer, a young astrophysicist grad student, is forced to accept his mandatory public service assignment at the scientific research station that orbits the planet Jupiter, where there is really no option to pursue his graduate study in astrophysics. He is even more unhappy that he was also chose ...more
MB (What she read)
For some reason, I prefer SF that includes alien contact, interesting new ecosystems, and the like. This was my first book by Bova, and I picked it up due to the mention of alien contact. After this one, I'm looking forward to the new book Leviathans of Jupiter and hope to learn more about the leviathans and their world.

(Frankly, the space politics and tension between human beings, governments, and religions is much less interesting to me. I'm all about the 'Others'.)

Why do evil fanatics always
Bret Devies
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on a whim. Having been looking for Larry Niven in the bookstore, I was first distracted by the cover. Our own solar system has always been interesting to me, and so I read the back. It simply felt vague, so I opened the book and read the short prologue. Suddenly, my opinion had changed a bit. It was written well, and sounded like it had the potential to be a great book. I found that it was, and really enjoyed the imagery, the foreign feel of it, and the way Bova wrote the perspe ...more
Brian Johnson
Jun 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Perhaps it improves after page 130, but I will never know. I hate not finishing books, but this one is a real clunker and life is just too short: it feels like the novel of a writer long past his prime. I was excited to find out what lurks in Jupiter's oceans, but was just not willing to wade through pages of sexist cliches, flat characters, and minimal action. Can someone recommend a truly great novel by Ben Bova, or are all of them like this?
Derek
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
The weakest effort I have read from Mr. Bova. It was actually a struggle to finish. The "side" stories really slow the pace of the book down and since the "characters" in these little stories don't have a personality to speak of, it is difficult to care about them. They just interupt the book. It starts out fine and if you are a Bova fan, you can easily get into his world but it fails to entertain as the book progresses.
Arthur
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
5/10
Leviathan was interesting creature...
Jerry Hart
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slow start but imaginative finale.
JP
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the first 8 books in The Grand Tour (Mars in particular), Jupiter feels a bit odd at the start. We're not building up to the eventual discovery of life--the fact that there's life on Jupiter is presented fait accompli in the first chapters. And not only life... intelligent life (or so is claimed). Jupiter isn't really about the discovery of life or even really about the idea of life on a research station around Jupiter.

What Jupiter is really about the conflict between religion and science
Darren
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TITLE: Jupiter
AUTHOR: Ben Bova
GENRE: Science Fiction
PAGES: 432
For as long as I can remember, the planets of our solar system have always fascinated me. I think it started when man walked on the moon fifty years ago. Ever since then, I have looked up and wondered. With his “Grand Tour” series, Ben Bova has helped fuel my imagination and sense of wonder. There are twenty-two books in this series. Jupiter falls at number ten in the list.
So, let’s get to it. Jupiter tells the story of Grant Archer,
Angelica
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was my first Ben Bova novel, and while I found it engaging enough to finish, it never managed to charm, enlighten, or entertain. The novel starts with the protagonist Grant Archer, a devout scientist, sent to a space station orbiting Jupiter. He is shipped there ostensibly to spy for the theocratic government of New Morality, but lured by the promise of advancing human knowledge, he very quickly turns Team Science.

Exploring the tensions between religion and science is not a new concept. (S
Bruce McNair
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grant Archer has graduated as an astrophysicist and hopes to be assigned a post on the Farside of the Moon. However, the New Morality government of the USA has decided to send him to Jupiter as a spy in n the scientists there. But Grant becomes deeply involved with a team to the chagrin of those that placed him there. This team is on the verge of making a discovery that could change science, religion, and politics forever.

It’s interesting that the New Morality has analogues in today’s politics
Durval Menezes
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading Bova for many years (I started in the late 1980s) and he's an excellent writer, with ups and downs like anyone else - but this is one of his best books, which unfortunately I'm only reading now.

It talks about a lot of subjects that interest me, especially about the conflict between science and religion, and how the discovery of life (and advanced and intelligent life and totally different) would mean to Earth.

It fits into a large "arch" of Bova books called "Grand Tour of the U
Geoff Battle
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bova heads in to fresh territory with Jupiter and mankind's desperation to find to new intelligent life. There is a perfect balance between science fiction and engaging characterisations and relationships, each mutually beneficial to the story. The end result delivers a well built novel, although somewhat formulaic in it's approach, where the reader can be totally immersed in believable sci-fi. A strong entry in the Grand Tour series, which can easily be read standalone, never blinds the reader ...more
Lefty
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really, thoroughly enjoyed this book. There is a conflict between church and science and so much future science fiction I read doesn't try to tackle the conflict, but I'm glad Bova does. The plot is interesting and the characters more layered than typical best sellers, which makes me happy.

That said, there is one particular sentence I wish had never made it into the book. Just the one, which stood out so painfully and awkwardly and cringey.

Anyway, I'll probably immediately pick up the sequel.
Ray Mellott
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the interesting things about this book is that I think it draws parallels to our own current time and how dangerous things can happen if one or two groups of people gain power and control. The story takes place late in the 21st century and is filled with mystery , adventure , and opportunities to let the mind imagine. At the same time, the science while still fiction isn't so far fetched or so far advanced that one couldn't imagine it being possible late in our century. All in all, an exc ...more
Brian
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
There is quite a bit going on in the background of this planetary exploration novel. Unfortunately, being in the background, very little of it has anything to do with the plot. Much of the sci-fi technology on hand seems somewhat unnecessary as well. However, it is a decent enough story once it gets rolling and the background goings on give the world a bit more weight than it would have otherwise had. Fans of "hard" sci-fi may find something enjoyable here, but it is probably a bit slow and a bi ...more
Kevin Black
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Fascinating whipsawing between the author's disdain for (his caricature of) religion (or at least narrow-minded religion) and an allowance that respect for nature can be an OK form of religious awe. This narrative made the book grate on my nerves throughout, despite an otherwise good story.
I read it once before, years ago.
Brian Rodgers
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I rally enjoyed this book as it is the perfect mix of social interactions and technology to keep my interest peaked throughout the finely woven suspense filled story. I feel I know exactly what the characters look like and who they are after reading this. I think I'll miss them, I felt part of the team.
Cameron Scott
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the first Ben Bova book I've read. Pulpy. Wanting more from the craft of banged out sentences and ideas. Nothing wrong with the writing or story, just so many times felt I was reading a paycheck.

Anyone have any other suggestions for Bova's work?
Ahavah
This is my first novel by Ben Bova, although I'm sure I've read some writing books or anthologies edited by him. Still, it's my first exploration of his own fiction, and while I can certainly appreciate his skill with hard science (a leaning which I am admittedly not overly familiar with), I'm not sure how I feel, exactly, about this book. I hope that writing this review will help me solidify my opinion. I'm leaning towards a 3 or maybe 4 – good, but not great.

This milieu has a very interesting
Dan
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
One of the blessings/curses of working in a mall is the convenience of a nearby bookstore. The blessing is that I love books… perusing them, sampling them, browsing, and ultimately buying them. The only problem is that I’ve spent probably a decade buying books I never have time to read. I finally took a hint from my staff at work. In down times, they read. A lot. So with that in mind, I was in the mall’s Waldenbooks with my friend Tammy when I was savagely attacked by Ben Bova’s paperback, “Jupi ...more
Jonathan Snyder
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though some look at hard scifi with a bit of concern, I found Ben Bova's work here to be amazing and gripping. The characters and his approach to first contact was what I always pictured with all the ups and downs when it comes to anything you could encounter in real life. The characters meant a lot to me and I was very sad when the book finally came to an end. I look forward to getting the sequel.
Amoxy Mox
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the visualization of the Kin and the Darters in Jupiter's Ocean. Touching to see Grant and Leviathan willing to sacrifice for the savior of the other
Eric_W
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
As a rule, I am not an avid reader of science fiction, but every now and again I' run across a writer or work that tweaks my interest and I' start reading or listening to it. Jupiter is a great read. Astrophysicist Grant Archer has just married but has been assigned to the Jupiter space station for his obligatory two years of community service. The New Morality, a rigid religious coalition, runs earth, and they want Grant, son of a minister and a believer, to spend four years spying on the scien ...more
Phil Giunta
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jupiter is the second book I've read in Ben Bova's Grand Tour series. I started, appropriately, with 'Mercury' and enjoyed it. Jupiter was next on the list because I was curious as to its connection with an earlier Bova novel, 'As on A Darkling Plain', in which explorers dive into Jupiter’s violent, toxic oceans in a craft filled with breathable fluid. While there, they discover life in the form of massive creatures reminiscent of Earth's whales.

In Jupiter, young astro-physicist Grant Archer is
Amy Day
Ben Bova gives us another exiting adventure of the Solar System. Jupiter is a book in the Grand Tour series. Be sure to check all the titles in this exciting series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Jupiter (The Grand Tour #9) by Ben Bova 2 14 Sep 02, 2018 07:14PM
Is it just me or was this Bova's best book? 4 13 Jun 20, 2013 09:38PM

• The Martian Race (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #1)
  • Moonfall
  • The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Titan (NASA Trilogy, #2)
  • Mars Crossing
  • Crossfire (Crossfire, #1)
  • Pacific Edge (Three Californias Triptych, #3)
  • Saturn Rukh
  • Starfarers
  • Marsbound (Marsbound, #1)
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
  • Moving Mars (Queen of Angels, #3)
  • Godspeed
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo

The Grand Tour (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Powersat (The Grand Tour, #1)
  • Privateers (The Grand Tour, #2; Privateers, #1)
  • Empire Builders (The Grand Tour, #3; Privateers, #2)
  • Mars (The Grand Tour, #4)
  • Moonrise (The Grand Tour, #5; Moonbase Saga, #1)
  • Moonwar (The Grand Tour, #6; Moonbase Saga, #2)
  • Return to Mars (The Grand Tour, #7)
  • The Precipice (The Grand Tour, #8; The Asteroid Wars, #1)
  • The Rock Rats (The Grand Tour, #10; The Asteroid Wars, #2)
  • The Silent War (The Grand Tour #11; The Asteroid Wars #3)