Start by marking “Programming in C” as Want to Read:
Programming in C

Programming in C

Learn the C programming language from one of the best. Stephen Kochan's "Programming in C" is thorough with easy-to-follow instructions that are sure to benefit beginning programmers. This book provides readers with practical examples of how the C programming language can be used with small, fast programs, similar to the programming used by large game developers such as Ni ...more
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 576 pages
Published July 8th 2004 by Sams (first published 1988)

Charles Portland
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can C clearly now...
Rex
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
This book is my earliest book on programming. It is definitely a book that I will never forget. I learn my C skills solely on this book. The skills that I learn help me to bootstrap my research and all fun experiment that I want to do.
Harry
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-lang, cse
Nowadays if a practitioner try to learn the C programming language from the inventors book (K&R Ansi edition) he probably will give up.
Old time are gone nowadays out there actually exist a myriad of books (other than on line material tutorials etc)on C. Some of them are here:

So what text can choose a newcomer as a first try to learn the language? certainly you can avoid those reported here:

Online you can find also
Eddie
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
K & R is a challenging book. I'm still not convinced there is enough information in that book to finish the exercises without outside knowledge. I've been looking for another book that is more up to date than K & R and offered a little more explanation about some of the concepts implemented in C.

Kochan's Programming in C isn't it. (And it's twice the length of K & R.)

This book is full of incomplete explanations, misinformation, and runtime errors. Here are just a few:

Kochan claims ea
James Taylor
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
* This is a reprint of my Amazon review of Dec. 8, 2011 *

I recently started programming in C again after not having done so in over a decade, and found that I needed to relearn it. I therefore needed a text at the appropriate level to lead me at my chosen pace.

I'd previously purchased three texts -- The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Richie (the K&R), C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata, and this one, Programming in C by Stephen Kochan -- but I needed to choose one as my main study text.
Aliasghar Tabrizi
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I find it nice that the author tries to teach C using examples, but the problem is most of the time the concept of the examples are so complex that you'd end up spending more time trying to understand the example itself than to understand the code.
Joseph
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reference alongside classroom instruction.
Lisa Kucharski
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
To say I really liked this book isn't quite accurate. It was a very informative book, and it was assigned reading for the CS50 course. (I'm still slogging through the course) but the book along with the other recommended read, is very useful in understanding C programming. I would say this particular book is very detailed and methodical in approach. It can be a bit overwhelming in terms of the dearth of information given. I would say that it takes you to a point to give you a basic understanding ...more
Dae
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A very dense book with a lot of information. I would say for this reason it's excellent and I would give it a higher rating but for a beginner learning the C language it's ineffective and it left me more confused than anything else. I'm most certainly going to keep it as a reference and as I enhance my skills I'll come back to it.
Alison Van Arsdel
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was for a class and I didn't reference the book much. When I did I found some helpful information. The teacher was teaching differently than how the book was formatted, so it was not the best for my particular class. But I made an A, so theirs that. If I were self teaching I may find the book helpful.
Totally Kyle
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first book on C and it taught a lot of good concepts. Although there are a few things (like pointers) that could have been explained with more detail it has quite a bit of detail. I would recommend this book to anyone trying to learn C, but they should already know at least one other programming language.
Rami Burpee
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Good information, but found this book very difficult to read. too dry for me
Far Zin
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
At times concepts are simplified at the cost of accuracy.
Houssem MENHOUR
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
My favourite book when learning how to C few years ago. I suggest it to anyone who is new to programming in C for it is detailed well enough, without being too big.
Gabe
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty good overview of the C language and procedural programming in general. Recommended.
Nathan Powell
Reading this book via Safari Books Online. Lots of things I already know, but lots I do not. I didn't finish this book, but I don't usually "finish" technical books.
Narendrāditya Nalwa
  • Foundations of Computer Science: C Edition
  • UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1: The Sockets Networking API
  • Beginning Linux Programming
  • Practical C Programming
  • Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching
  • Linux in a Nutshell
  • Structured Computer Organization
  • Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
  • Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • C Primer Plus
  • CSS Cookbook
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • Mastering Algorithms with C
  • Creating a Web Site: The Missing Manual

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »