Start by marking “Maurice” as Want to Read:
Maurice

Maurice

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  27,637 ratings  ·  1,741 reviews
Maurice Hall is a young man who grows up confident in his privileged status and well aware of his role in society. Modest and generally conformist, he nevertheless finds himself increasingly attracted to his own sex. Through Clive, whom he encounters at Cambridge, and through Alec, the gamekeeper on Clive's country estate, Maurice gradually experiences a profound emotional ...more
Published July 28th 2005 by Penguin (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Maurice, please sign up.
Emily Carlin This isn't really about Forster as a person, but it may be of interest anyway -- it is an essay by author Zadie Smith on Forster's style as a writer +…moreThis isn't really about Forster as a person, but it may be of interest anyway -- it is an essay by author Zadie Smith on Forster's style as a writer + the reality of being a human: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2003...

(less)
Rhianna I read this book at around 14 or 15, and although there's some references to sex they are very moderate and not graphic or detailed in the slightest. …moreI read this book at around 14 or 15, and although there's some references to sex they are very moderate and not graphic or detailed in the slightest. I would say that this novel is appropriate for teenagers and above, as it's a brilliant portrait of love and the difficult journey to sexual identity, and this is what is significant about the novel, not the obscure and rare references to sex. (less)

·  27,637 ratings  ·  1,741 reviews

Start your review of Maurice
Glenn Sumi
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1900-1960, classics

E.M. Forster ( Howards End , A Room With A View ) finished this gay-themed novel in 1914, and though he showed it to some close friends, he didn't publish it in his lifetime. It eventually came out after his death, in the early 1970s.

What a gift to have a novel about same sex love written a century ago by one of the premier 20th century British authors!

When Forster penned Maurice, homosexuality was so taboo that there was no name for it. For a man to be with another man was a criminal offen
Jasmine
"Begun 1913
Finished 1914
Dedicated to a Happier Year”

Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) wrote Maurice (*) as a relatively young man, aged 34, at a time when old Europe was starting to fall apart. However, it was not published until 1971, a year after his death. Maurice is probably the first literary work of fiction to deal with male homosexuality in such an open, sincere fashion. At the time it was written, men in the UK could still be imprisoned for ‘acts of gross indecency’, as in the Oscar Wild
Elle (ellexamines)
The second dream is more difficult to convey. Nothing happened. He scarcely saw a face, scarcely heard a voice say, “That is your friend,” and then it was over, having filled him with beauty and taught him tenderness. He could die for such a friend, he would allow such a friend to die for him; they would make any sacrifice for each other, and count the world nothing, neither death nor distance nor crossness could part them, because “this is my friend.”

Maurice follows the story of Maurice, a
kit!
what if we kissed in your ex-lover's boathouse....and we were both boys.... 😳😳 haha just kidding........unless.. .....?
Kasia
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
listen that might be just my opinion but if a lgbt book from 1913 has a happy ending there is absolutely no excuse for gays dying in books in 2019
Mike Puma
I took the damned "Spoiler Alert" alert out--I think it keeps people from reading the actual review. That said, some of the following comments might be considered Spoiler, but I prefer to think of these comments as what Forster could have done better, should have done better, and any image of Hugh Grant spread-eagled on a table deserves to be noticed, IMHO.

At first, I thought rereading Forster’s gay novel for a group discussion would be fun. I liked it first time around and expected to like it a

✨    jamieson   ✨
“I think you’re beautiful, the only beautiful person I’ve ever seen. I love your voice and everything to do with you, down to your clothes or the room you are sitting in. I adore you.”

this book sent me all the way through it and I was genuinely moved by the tenderness.. the yearning... the way e.m forster wrote a happy ending for two men because he thought it was time gay men got to be happy in fiction... the explorations of class and freedom and longing... Maurice's journey to self-discover
Katie Lumsden
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Possibly my new favourite book of the year so far. I absolutely loved this one - beautiful, moving, such a powerful read.
CarolynMarieReads
Maurice is a book, among few others, where I’d like to not only share a select few quotes with you, but transcribe the whole story from start to finish. I’d also love to delve deep into the story behind the book, and its creator E. M. Forster. Maurice is “his story” in two senses of the term: firstly, it is a story that was born from his mind and his hand, and secondly, from his own experiences.

He begins this book with the dedication: “Begun 1913, Finished 1914, Dedicated to a Happier Year.” Fo
Mark
Perfect! There is probably nothing I can write that hasn't been written before about this work from one of our great English authors. It has no doubt been criticised, scrutinised, analysed, investigated, praised and acclaimed, I will just write about how the book made me feel.

The style of English was so refreshing to read. A style and mastery that has been long since forgotten. It has a beauty to it that flows and melts coming from an era where conversation really was an art. Where every word w
Puck
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
If Dorian Gray is the dramatic, scandal-creating gay classic, than Maurice is the snobbish yet emotionally moving gay classic. Written in 1913-14 but only published sixty years later, this is a book that is impressive - not because of its romance - but because of the character's personal journey towards self acceptance.

Began 1913, finished 1914. Dedicated to a happier year. With this heartbreaking opening statement, the story begins. We get to follow Maurice Hall as he grows up and starts to
Anna Luce
★★★★✰ 3.5 stars (rounded up)

“No tradition overawed the boys. No convention settled what was poetic, what absurd. They were concerned with a passion that few English minds have admitted, and so created untrammelled. Something of exquisite beauty arose in the mind of each at last, something unforgettable and eternal, but built of the humblest scraps of speech and from the simplest emotions.”

There is much to be admired in E.M. Forster's Maurice. While it saddening to think that although he wrote M
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

I’m not well versed in historic stories of the British upper class, but I’m happy to say that despite the fear, despite having to hide, Maurice finds love, grabs on, and refuses to let go.

Though published posthumously, all the stars for having been written at all in a time of blatant unacceptance.
David
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ur-so-gay
Vladimir Nabokov wrote in Pnin:
Some people—and I am one of them—hate happy ends. We feel cheated. Harm is the norm. Doom should not jam. The avalanche stopping in its tracks a few feet above the cowering village behaves not only unnaturally but unethically.
This is true for me as well. While of course I was cheering for the titular hero through the course of his internal and external struggle for identity, I can't help but feel, after finishing the book "well, that was very nice, but life is
Mel Bossa
Sublime.
Oh my God, I won't forget this book. Maurice and Alec forever.
Off I go to read more E.M. Forster, though I know this was his only homosexual themed book in his esteemed career and the book was published after his death, as he'd requested to his friends, knowing the storm it would create in proper English Society.
It's a great work. I am humbled before it as a writer.
By the way, the author's terminal note of 1960, on homosexuality, was so brutally true and broke my heart.
Yes, Maurice may
Lin
Sep 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love romance stories
Shelves: owned, lgbt
One of my favourite novels, and incidentally the one I wrote my MA thesis on. Maurice is, for all intents and purposes, a dime-a-dozen love story and a period piece. The only twist is that this love story concerns two men, which was unheard of in the time that it was written (1913). Forster wrote it mainly as a therapeutical effort, having grown tired of not being able to write about the kind of love that interested him the most, as a homosexual male. Published 60 years after it was written, Mau ...more
Ivana Books Are Magic
Maurice is a novel that isn't perfect, but that is beautiful in its imperfection. A bit of an unpolished diamond, I might add, like some other classics I remember fondly despite their minor flaws. I admit it's been a while since I read this novel, and I never really found the time to reread it, which is a shame, but I do have an old review of mine at hand, and I will use it to remind myself. Recently I have read Dandy, a contemporary novel with a similar theme of homosexual love set in past time ...more
Rebecca McNutt
This book was vivid, historical and an unforgettable story of a boy trying to find his place in a rapidly changing world.
Jessica
Oct 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the gays, the classicists, admirers of the gays and classicists
A beloved college professor used this novel as his starting point for a glorious Humanities lecture on "The Unspeakable Vice of the Greeks." Except for the time I fell down the stairs of the lecture hall and dislocated my shoulder, that's pretty much the only morning I remember from my freshman year.

I love Forster's attitude toward his characters, which is similar to one a social worker might have towards his clients: he doesn't romanticize them and sees all of their faults, even emphasizing imp
Greg
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book, I kept thinking, "I've read this before...when?" but a quarter of the way through this novel I realized I was thinking about Forster's "A Room With A View", a book I read years ago and liked very much. The two books are almost mirror images of each other and have many similarities.
1-Both books mostly take place in the early 1900s in England. (And, they may very well have been written at about the same time. "Room" was published in 1908 while "Maurice" was
Will Ansbacher
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I really did like Maurice, (though maybe not quite 4* because of the ending); I liked the deft, airy and generous tone Forster has towards his characters, even when they’re behaving badly. But it’s a great shame the book wasn’t published any time before about 1950, when a story about homosexual love that didn’t end badly would still have been revolutionary. By the seventies, when it was, it had become unremarkable; more of an Edwardian period piece, though you still have to love the language.

Mau
Kenchiin
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“After all, is not a real Hell better than a manufactured Heaven?”

Helle
Oh, the mellifluous, soothing voice of Forster! I don’t know what it is, but something just kicks into place in my innermost recesses when I read his best novels. Stephen King has said that it’s the writers we read when we are young who impact us the most, perhaps in ways we don’t always realize. That may be why it’s more than just a reading experience to me when I read Forster; I feel that I meet not only my younger self but my true self when I read him.

Maurice is the novel Forster wrote some
rameau
You know that moment you and start a book you’ve been wanting to read but haven’t. Maybe you’ve had trouble finding a copy of it or maybe all the hype around it has turned you off or maybe you’re not quite sure you’ll like the book simply because of who wrote it and when and why. And then you fall head over heels in love.

Yeah. That.

Whenever I read a classic, I prepare myself for the inevitable disappointment. In my experience, too many of the great works of literature only represent some form o
LenaRibka

2,5 stars.

Written in 1913 Maurice could have made a history if the author had had the courage to publish it at that time. A story of a homosexual upper middle class Britain set in the early 20th Century! (view spoiler) With his idea and the main message - the acceptance of a human nature - E.M.Forster was for sure ahead of the times.

Unfortunately 100 years later it didn't exert the greatest impression on me. Along with the main characters that I didn't f
Sallie Dunn
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, as old English as the writing style is, Maurice is still current and controversial to some readers of certain conservative viewpoints. It’s a coming of age story of a young English gentleman that explores human sexuality as well as class division. Forster wrote this novel in 1913 but forbade its publication until after his death in 1968. Definitely a four star read for me.
Christy B
I wouldn't call this a review post, mainly because I doubt I'd be able to write a suitable one. However, I couldn't just let it pass without writing something about the book that will most likely end up being one of my all time favorites.

Written in the 1910s, but not released until 1971, after the author's death, Maurice is an Edwardian story about love, class, and finding oneself. The title character is a young man who comes to understand that he is homosexual. We see him through two relationsh
graycastle
Jun 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not a secret that this is one of my favourite novels of all time. My reason for loving it so much is this: it blends together questions of sexuality, nationality, imperialism, masculinity, and class into this amazing matrix that questions every single one of those categories. At the end, the retreat into the English greenwood shows two homosexual men attacking/questioning England from a space outside England that is also, paradoxically, the heart of England...really, the thing I love best a ...more
Suanne Laqueur
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite style of writing but definitely worth the time. Because it was ahead of its time: a gay love (LOVE!!) story with (wait for it) a happy ending.
☙ nemo ❧
"Begun 1913
Finished 1914
Dedicated to a Happier Year"

excuse me how dare you kill me

mild spoiler - (view spoiler)
Play Book Tag: Maurice / E.M. Forster - 4**** 2 19 May 29, 2017 11:08PM

• The Swimming-Pool Library
  • A Single Man
  • The Charioteer
  • At Swim, Two Boys
  • A Boy's Own Story (The Edmund Trilogy, #1)
  • The Line of Beauty
  • The Front Runner (Harlan's Story, #1)
  • Brokeback Mountain
  • Lie With Me
  • Swimming in the Dark
  • The Well of Loneliness
  • Orlando
  • Imre: A Memorandum
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Call Me By Your Name (Call Me By Your Name, #1)
  • The Lost Language of Cranes
Edward Morgan Forster, generally published as E.M. Forster, was an novelist, essayist, and short story writer. He is known best for his ironic and well-plotted novels examining class difference and hypocrisy in early 20th-century British society. His humanistic impulse toward understanding and sympathy may be aptly summed up in the epigraph to his 1910 novel Howards End: "Only connect".

He had five