Start by marking “Garth Nix 3 Books Collection Set (Sabriel Trilogy Bundle) (Garth Nix Collection) (Abhorsen, Lirael, Sabriel) [Paperback]” as Want to Read:

(Abhorsen #1-3)

Garth Nix 3 Books Collection Set by Garth Nix.In this series provide an original twist on traditional fiction in that the reader takes control of the story's.
Paperback
Published by HarperCollins (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Garth Nix 3 Books Collection Set (Sabriel Trilogy Bundle) (Garth Nix Collection) (Abhorsen, Lirael, Sabriel) [Paperback]

Auntie Terror
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
[rtf]
Lowed
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah.! This was an amazing read. If you like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (which I did), then you definitely have to grab a copy of these precioussssss piecesss. Anyway, As I was trying to check his website for an update of Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen the fourth book in the series.. I found this instead.. Really funny Nix! Really Funny. I still do not know how to create some really cute links here, so I just copied the whole article and pasted it. EnjoY!

MY NEW REALLY EPIC FANTASY SERIES
Connor Grummer
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone (who can take hefty amounts of good writing)
Recommended to Connor by: Found it in my library. Been reading Nix ever since.
The Abhorsen Trilogy started with Sabriel. Sabriel lives in Ancelstierre at the start of the story, a place where charter magic, Garth Nix's own form of spells, doesn't work. Sabriel is the daughter of the Abhorsen, a powerful necromancer who defends against the undead creations made by necromancers. When a shadowy creation appears and tells her that her father is missing, Sabriel goes to the old kingdom, and searches for her father amidst old enemies and older secrets. The story progresses int ...more
Marc Aplin
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of you may not have heard of this series… I picked it up by complete chance about 5/6 years ago when visiting a relative. I forgot the book I was currently reading (Magicians Guild) and was kinda bored over the weekend there. Still having 5 days left on my trip, I walked past a charity shop and sat in the window was a book called ‘Sabriel’. Now, to me it looked ‘fantasy-ish’ so I picked it up…

The book was so amazing that by the end of the holiday I was almost finished on the third in the se
Squeemu
Stephanie Vautour
One of my all time favorite series of books. Will never forget this one. Sabriel is a one of a kind character that wouldn't fit into the new teenage novels unfortunately so many people probably won't take the time to pick these books up. Takes me back to a time when para-normal activity was supposed to elicit fear not lust :S
Jen Julian
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
There's something very *pure* about this trilogy that I can't quite put my finger on. Honestly, I think if I'd read these books as a teen, I would've been confused and bored, though that would have been the result of my own inattention. Reading them now, I can see the intense and subtle care that has gone into the crafting of Nix's world, especially in the way that magic functions, both as a structured utilitarian system (charter magic) and a natural, untempered chaotic force (free magic). There ...more
Shyla
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite series. The world building is amazing, especially the rules of magic that exist in the Old Kingdom, from charter versus free magic to whistle-based weather magic to nine watery levels of death. All the leads, Sabriel, Lirael, Sam, and Nick, are appealing, and the mysteries--in Sabriel, the whole Old Kingdom is something of a mystery and Touchstone's past becomes a key point, and in Lirael, her parentage and true purpose--keep the story engaging. These stories have a wo ...more
Cate
This is a huge book even by my standards, and to add to the confusion it is one of those that, by some strange reason is known under a different title depending on where in the world you live; for example in the Authors native Australia this book is entitled The Old Kingdom Chronicles. It is also a trilogy that not many fantasy readers appear to know about. As for me it took me some time to actually finish reading this, and that was not due to its size.

The characters in all three of the books, i
Diliaur
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the story, the world, and the characters. Well-paced page turners, featuring pretty classic quest stories. Doesn't break any boundaries but the world is beautiful, with just enough information to make you want to learn more; the characters grow, both in themselves and on you; and it balances the plot with small but effective moments of comedic relief, which I find especially enjoyable because they're such quick bursts of humor they leave you wanting more -- but Nix keeps the action going.

I'
Kelsey
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fantasy storyline is refreshingly original, fast-paced, darkly humorous, and will suck you into the dangerous world of the Old Kingdom. The character development is wonderful. I connected with Sabriel and Lirael, adored the Disreputable Dog, and even grew to love the snarky "cat" Mogget. The reader will want to whistle up a wind for a paperwing, wield the bells of the Abhorsen, and ,if they are anything like me, long to explore the great Library of the Clayr.

One of my favorite series. Thes
Eric
May 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Eric by: Janet Schuellien
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This reminded me somewhat of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, but not quite as good. Where His Dark Materials is about Science and Religion instead of Swords and Sorcery, the substitute here is Necromancy.

My issue with this trilogy (and to a lesser extent with His Dark Materials), was how the second book started out with a new unfamiliar character. In the case of Lirael, her story was not compelling enough for me to want to read it. I wound up putting the book down for a while,
Rachel
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished "Abhorsen," the third book in the trilogy. I read "Sabriel" a long time ago, in high school, and "Lirael" several years back. I never got around to finishing the series even though I loved the books...now I finally have and the only disappointment I have is that (aside from a further book of "related" short stories) this wonderful story is now over, and that Nix is not a more prolific writer. Some of the most interesting and emotionally mature Young Adult fantasy I've ever come a ...more
Annie Fanning
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I am currently reading far below my grade level.

Maybe I missed my adolescent moment to truly immerse myself in the Fantasy. Maybe I am making up for lost time. Maybe I am researching appropriate Fantasy novels for the giraffes. Maybe I require lite works with strong female characters.

If you are looking for some lightweight magical fare that features girl-heroes, check out Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy. It is truly not to be missed, the first, second or third time round
Micheline
Series review to come! Instant all-time favorite and new obsession ♥
Octavia Cade
I read and reviewed all three books in this trilogy separately, so this is really just for my own records. Both Sabriel and Abhorsen I rated as three stars, and for much the same reason. I liked the world building - I found the whole thing with the bells particularly interesting - but I couldn't seem to connect emotionally with either book, and that was largely because of the characters, I think. Sabriel, Touchstone, and their children do nothing for me.

As far as I'm concerned, book number two,
Krista
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, one of my favorite fantasy adventure series. You wouldn't expect a series that revolves around Death to be so full of life, but when it rains in a scene, you can believe that you feel it in your skin and wade through the River of Death itself. It is a series that immerses you in its present and manages to mix elements of romance, mystery, suspense and magic. Sabriel inherits a huge task and takes it in stride but somehow manages to still seem down to earth. The characters are deep bu ...more
Jessica
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you fantasy magic mixed with darkness, this is your go to series!

I haven't put it down since I first fell in love with it (in the seventh grade). Throughout my years I've re-read it time and time again because the magic and the story line is exactly what I need to be able to disappear into another world. It doesn't stop when you put the book down either. You'll find yourself compelled to keep going if not, you're going to be wondering all day!

Enjoy.
Tracy
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally bought my own copy and will be re-reading it a few more times :).

If you like magic, fantasy, female heroines, and the good 'ol fight of good vs. evil....then what are you waiting for? Plus the second book has the romanticism of libraries in it, which is never a let down.
I want to be magical soooooo badly!
Eleanor
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much and have read it three times over! All of the books had so many interesting characters and plots that kept me reading into the night! However, I would recommend the books for people over 12 years old as it has advanced language and themes. If you haven't read these then you're missing out and should go and read them now!
Gus
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was very interesting and kept your attention. I liked how there were a lot of words or names of things that were part of the book it somehow made you more immersed into the text.
Philip Burchett
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that everyone has a role in the world. The cast of characters in lireal and abhorsen reminded me of both Harry Potter and the goonies. I loved lireal and the message of who she becomes despite her failed expectations.
Firefly Hiddleston
I absolutely LOVE this series. I've read it three times and now I finally own the series. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the books. Garth is amazing with these series.

My favorite character is Mogget. I love him. Afrer him, Disreputable dog. I highly recommend these books.
Jade Reads
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
My favorite book series !!!
Ivy
Amazing enchanting dark #threewordreview Definitely a new favourite!
Chris Dent
3 stars for the written version, but if we're rating the audiobook (narrated by the inestimable Tim Curry), then my adjective renders its rating...well... inestimable.
Shannon Arnold
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable fantasy novels. Relatable characters and interesting adventures. I especially like Mogget and the Disreputable Dog. I expect I will read more of Garth Nix's work in the future.
Deirdre
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved these books. The second book is a little whiny but the dog makes up for it. Always in my list of to-recommend books.
Olga
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the first half of the 20th century and the world is changing. The peaceful existence of the country south of The Wall is threatened by the possibility of a war and to the north dark powers are getting stronger as well and death itself is finding its way into the living world from the other side. The Abhorsen is the only one who can control the dead and send them back where they came from, beyond the last gate on the cold and tumultuous river. When the Abhorsen’s daughter, Sabriel, receives ...more
Bunny McFoo
I just finished re-reading this trilogy, and I'm choosing to review all three books at one time, as I think that the series as a whole is stronger than its parts.

When I first read these books, the first one was my least favorite. I found Sabriel to be a less sympathetic character than I did Lirael, which only goes to show that time and perspective can certainly alter opinions and points of view. Ten years on from my initial reading, Sabriel is by far more interesting to me and I sincerely wish w
  • Exploring Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
  • The Bartimaeus Trilogy Boxed Set (Bartimaeus, #1-3)
  • The Song of the Lioness Quartet (Song of the Lioness, #1-4)
  • The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • The Dark Is Rising Sequence
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Time Quartet Box Set (Time Quartet, #1-4)
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
  • Prince of the Godborn (Seven Citadels, #1)
  • A Robin McKinley Collection: Spindle's End, The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword (Folktales #1-3)
  • The Curious Dictionary (Word Hunters #1)
  • Divine by Mistake / Divine by Choice / Divine by Blood / Elphame's Choice / Brighid's Quest (Partholon, #1-5)
  • The Wind on Fire Trilogy: The Wind Singer/Slaves of the Mastery/Firesong
  • Summer of Two Wishes (Cedar Springs #1)
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De

Abhorsen (5 books)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Clariel (Abhorsen, #4)
  • Goldenhand (Abhorsen, #5)