Start by marking “Alpha Docs: The Making of a Cardiologist” as Want to Read:
Alpha Docs: The Making of a Cardiologist

Alpha Docs: The Making of a Cardiologist

In the tradition of Scott Turow’s One L and Atul Gawande’s Better comes a real-time, real-life chronicle from an impassioned young doctor on the front lines of high-stakes cardiology.

It takes drive, persistence, and plenty of stamina to practice cardiology at the highest level. The competition for training fellowship spots is intense. Hundreds of applicants from all over
Published August 11th 2015 by Random House (first published July 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Alpha Docs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alpha Docs

Start your review of Alpha Docs: The Making of a Cardiologist
Gkaur
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-and-reviews
Copy provided by publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, Thank you!

I will begin by saying I am a pre-med student and any novels/memoirs/autobiographies i tend to gravitate toward. This was an interesting insight into the cardiology fellowship with kept me engaged. Dr. Munoz does a pretty job in explaining the world of cardiac medicine in lay-mans terms which is very reader friendly. There were detailed specific cases and some more general ones. A good read i would say.

Susannah Clarke
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Not particularly exciting or thrilling, but if you enjoy books about medicine or health, you might like this one. It was easy to understand and had a fair amount of personal insight into why one chooses to become a doctor.
Edy
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now that my husband sees a cardiologist regularly, that specialty is of interest to me. In this book, Muñoz takes the reader through his first year of fellowship as he prepares to be a cardiologist and decides on what type of cardiology he wants to practice. I have always known how much education doctors have to have, but this gave me a new perspective on that education. Muñoz allows the reader to see that in the beginning of his fellowship, even though he was an MD, he didn't have all the ...more
Kathleen Pooler
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Riveting and educational

A vivid glimpse into the day-to-day life of a cardiologist-in-training. Characters and scenarios are believable and author's honest introspection helps the reader experience the intensity of the events. The writing is engaging , at times entertaining and descriptive. A real page-turner. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the medical field, health care workers and patients alike. Certainly anyone considering a career in cardiology will benefit from
Betty Burkman
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book for doctors and their heart patients

Its not too technical that the heart patients are turned off. They read about procedures they have had or may have explained in understandable detail. They are made aware of all the specialities and sub specialities in cardiology. A whole picture of the field. For doctors it emphasizes that in spite of all the technology listening and observing the patient has a place and is important to diagnosis.
Andres Anglade
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Back to residency!

Reading this book was like reviving my first residency in the early 1970’s and the then more hands on experiences during Medical School years. Of course today specialties and sub sub ones were not available then, and back up was less available. I wonder how the burn out numbers differ between now and then?
Carl
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Interesting... The author does a great job taking you through the various "rotations" he goes through during fellowship as a Cardiologist. He really does an excellent job explaining the medical processes without being overtly confusing and complex.
Katia
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
He tells stories about his fellowship in Cardiology at one of the best American hospitals
Interesting...
J
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Lehtomaki
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Nonfiction
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining medical stories, not too much personal stuff, exactly what I wanted.
Barb
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: nonfiction
I just couldn’t keep up with the medical terminology. And it was less of a memoir than I thought.
Michael A. Shaw
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting look into cardiology

I liked it. I found the various aspects of cardiology interesting. I hope to never meet these people professionally, but if I must, I’m glad to know how seriously they treat their difficult profession.

Reading about the rotations as segments made it easier to appreciate each of the disciplines.
David
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
recaps his fellowship year at Johns Hopkins. very very self-impressed with being at Hopkins. I guess I have more of a law school than medical school alter ego -- i enjoy the "One L"-esque books about being in law school but found this one pretty boring. He does 2 weeks in this rotation and thought the attending was a good teacher, then 3 weeks in that rotation and thought the attending was a bad teacher. He likes patient care and dislikes subjectivity of reading scans, etc. etc. Nothing wrong ...more
Jane Night
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall this is an awesome book if you are interested in medicine. I work in a hospital doing clerical work so I really enjoy books about the medical field. The author made sure to break down words and processes so that even those with minimal amounts of medical understanding could understand the book. I thought that was really great. There is always a risk when you read a memoir involving doctors that they will overwhelm you with jargon. That didn’t happen in this book.

Daniel takes us on his
Sharon
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Random House and NetGalley for providing me with an electronic copy to review. Unlike such medical television dramas like ER and Grey's Anatomy, Alpha Docs chronicles real life doctors in one of the top ranked hospitals in the United States. Johns Hopkins is surrounded by welfare housing and crack dens, with drug deals common in the park nearby. With one of the best Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship programs in the country, Johns Hopkins routinely receives 500-700 ...more
Amanda
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book goes through Danial Munoz's first year of cardiology fellowship through the Johns Hopkins hospital system. The entire time, Munoz is struggling to determine which cardiology specialty he wants to pursue and this is one of the overarching themes. One of my main take-aways from the book is that there are many doctors who want to do their best and they do what they can, while at the same time, the patient needs to understand that the doctors are still human. While Munoz doesn't write ...more
Gkaur
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-and-reviews

Sara Schapiro
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Alpha Docs! The book gave me a view into a world I didn't know much about and made it easy for a layperson to understand. Dr. Munoz and the team at Hopkins are the best of the best - only 9 fellows a year are accepted into this prestigious cardiology fellowship - and you are granted special access into this elite training with Dan Munoz as a guide. I really enjoyed how Munoz and Dale not only dig into the training, but also the patient stories. Super interesting read. Highly recommended!
Mary
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Really interesting book. You follow Dr. Muniz through his fellowship year at Johns Hopkins. The program has him working in all the specialties of cardiology, and he relates his experiences as he decides in which area he wants to specialize. Other than the title, I liked this book and learned a bit about heart health.
Carol Cleaveland
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A good read for medical professionals.

The discussion of patient encounters and procedures is compelling. The discussion of his thoughts on his career decisions is probably only interesting to ! medical students.
Nicolle
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really just want to read books like this all the time. This account is supposed to be about our best and brightest, so don't be surprised if it sounds cocky at times. Not terribly insightful, but is otherwise a few hours well spent.
Colette Winfrey
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational

Informative yet easy to read & understand. It read like a novel. I was drawn in by the first person narrative.
Carmen
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books has served me that humanity of being a doctor.. a good doctor. Dr. Muñoz is one of those and this books takes us along his path on how he became one.
Katelyn
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insight into a cardiology fellowship.
Barbara Brockhaus
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and getting a behind the scenes look at becoming a doctor. It was very interesting seeing the various types of cardiologists and what goes into the profession.
Jan Plain

• Backbone: The Life and Game-Changing Career of a Spinal Neurosurgeon
  • How Can I Help? A Week in My Life as a Psychiatrist
  • Elderhood: Redefining Aging, Transforming Medicine, Reimagining Life
  • Patient Care: Death and Life in the Emergency Room
  • The Devil Wears Scrubs (Dr. Jane McGill #1)
  • Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon
  • Last Night in the OR: A Transplant Surgeon's Odyssey
  • A History of the Present Illness
  • Patient by Patient: Lessons in Love, Loss, Hope, and Healing from a Doctor's Practice
  • The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir
  • On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency
  • ER Days
  • Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death and Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon's First Years
  • Behind the Curtain: A Peek at Life from within the ER