Start by marking “Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living” as Want to Read:
Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living

Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  1,252 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
"A teacher is never a giver of truth—he is a guide, a pointer to the truth that each student must find for himself. A good teacher is merely a catalyst."—Bruce Lee

Within the pages of Striking Thoughts, you will find the secrets of Bruce Lee's amazing success— as an actor, martial artist, and inspiration to the world. Consisting of eight sections, Striking Thoughts covers 7
Published June 15th 2000 by Tuttle Publishing (first published 2000)

Geraint
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
If you were to say "What springs to mind when you think of Bruce Lee?", most people would talk about martial arts or his untimely death. What a lot of people don't know, is that Bruce Lee was as much of a Philosopher as he was a Martial Artist, or a movie star. Indeed, his degree in America was on Philosophy.

So it will come as little suprise then that Bruce will have had a lot of thoughts on aspects of life. And here they are. This small book contains some of the most poignant thoughts I have ev
Nada
I have to leave now, my friend. You have a long journey ahead of you, and you must travel light. From now on drop all your burden of preconceived conclusions behind, and "open" yourself to everything and everyone ahead. Remember, my friend, the usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness. -Bruce Lee

I consider Bruce Lee to be one of my closest teachers, and I apply his knowledge in my every day life due to its vitality and practicality. I read this book religiously for over a month, did not want it t
Aaron
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: general public, philosophy students
An excellent introduction to Bruce Lee. He only wrote so much in his short life, and it has been re-cut and repackaged so many times already. I have to say this is the best book of all to have. It contains all his basic ideas and attitude toward life, presented a few lines at a time in eight chapters. It's not so much a coherent work as the most-worthy summation of his writings. It gives you a good feel for the man.

Note: this book is mostly "philosophy"; it is not a technical manual for fightin
Adam
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I knew little about Lee before reading this book and found him to be a pretty big thinker. It is hard to criticize a book that is just a collection of a man's ideas without judging the man, but I liked how it was organized by general topics and did not have to be read in any direction. Lee comes off as a master of living without typical self help guru arrogance and rarely uses himself as a concrete example and keeps his advice and assertions general and abstract. However it is hard to tell if it ...more
GRV
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-shelf
STRIKING THOUGHTS

Rating 4/5

“The meaning of life is that it is to be lived, and it is not to be traded and conceptualized and squeezed into a patter of systems.”

This book gives us a great perspective of Bruce Lee as a person.

Quite disappointed with the writing style which is written in as Quotes. Could have been much better with a detailed explanation.

Leaving that a part Striking Thoughts is an insightful Read.

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Very inspirational for anyone trying to overcome adversity.
Sondra
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I consider Bruce Lee one of my ghost mentors. If you have never read any of Bruce Lee's works, and you have a curiosity towards philosophy; this is the book to start with.
Freymanja
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Throughout this book, Bruce Lee's main theme he wants you to learn that is the basis of all his philosophy is to take what you see in the world through YOUR own eyes only, YOUR own perception, YOUR search for the truth from YOUR point of view because the "truth" can be seen differently by everyone. I love this book so much that it is actually my favorite book because the Lee himself personally says that the Universe and everything within should be defined from an individual perspective and neve ...more
Meaghan McQuade
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a surprising little book! I began reading it knowing very little about Bruce himself, and have left with the impression that he was wise beyond his years. The way the book is set up as tidbits of philosophical wisdom actually serves the authors wish of communicating that, a teacher cannot give you truth, he can only point you in the right direction. This book does exactly that! He sets out the puzzle pieces and asks that you create the final picture for yourself. Unique in it's scope and br ...more
Carolyn
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Though a lot of his quotes made sense and will definitley help to keep in mind through my Martial Arts training, some of the other quotes didn't translate so well. I found myself struggling a lot of the time in trying to grasp what exactly he was talking about. It could just be the fact that I'm really not that familiar with Eastern Philosophy. But aside from that, it was interesting enough. I did outline some of the better quotes and will keep them in mind.
Paul
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book Rocks for inspiration and Motivation. Bruce is the King.
Bad
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Bruce Lee was a truly amazing, and inspiring human being. I realized that the instant I read this book. His words are one's I can look to when the world ceases to make sense.
Emal
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that demonstrates how martial arts is not just a hobby but also a way of life.
Toppy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a mix of interesting philosophical reflections with the blandness of reading someone's study notes.
Cynthia Vespia
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved every page of this. Bruce Lee was so wise on so many levels. Inspiring quotes for every facet of life. This one is a keeper I will refer back to again and again.
Michael Toro
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid insight into a master of thoughts best weapon.
Matias
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book Review

The Wisdom of Daily Living
By- Bruce Lee

I will give this book because is a book that has a lot of topics that are interesting like philosophy, martial arts and a lot of like tips for the daily living so that is cool because the martial art is like something like physical, the philosophy is like something mental, and the wisdom of living is cool to know is not only a lot of topics together is a lot of topics put well put together, so that make a really engaging book.
And I forget to sa
Melanie
I have always admired Bruce Lee, both as an actor/martial artist and as a philosopher, but this book was a bit below my expectations. I believe that a big part of the fault lies in the translation itself (I read the Brazilian Portuguese version of the book), which felt like it could have gone through a better revision. I had read this book when I was around 20 years and now, 10 years later, I read it again and had the same feeling: that the book repeated itself for several times, and not because ...more
Melvin Patterson
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely, although in places it was a bit disjointed. However,its very clear that Bruce had a strong foundation from his studies in philosophy at University. Some of the thoughts he recorded I had read elsewhere but it was good to see them in context rather than just excerpts here and there.
Carlos Amador
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly one of my more harder reads - but definitely worth working your way through.
Ilya Mrz
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ps-n, mbtfr, 2015
“Believe me that in every big thing or achievement there are always obstacles, big or small, and the reaction one shows to such obstacles is what counts, not the obstacle itself. There is no such thing as defeat until you admit so yourself, but not until then!”

“Self-actualization is the important thing. And my personal message to people
is that I hope they will go toward self-actualization rather than self-image
actualization. I hope that they will search within themselves for honest selfexpressio
Mutar
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bruce Lee: He presents his points very concisely. He provides personal experiences thus making it easier to process the aphorisms. His own examples remind the reader that he too is a human being and not a perfect robot. Had he not died so young it is obvious from his insights and philosophy that he would have become a world leader like Ghandi and Mandela.

Structure & Content: It's short which is ideal for me personally as I aim to re-read the book in future years. The absence of storyline is
Darrick Williams
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I found this book very enlightening; however, the writing style is that of a teacher which he was. Bruce Lee words indeed comes from the depth within. Those who have listen to Bruce Lee in interviews have noticed his patience. Likewise is this book, you won’t find the quick quote with instant enlightenment.

He is a teacher first and gives his quotes with his analyzed findings. This may indeed put some with more life experiences off. They are more intent on finding enlightenment to quickly pull t
Diz
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This collection of Bruce Lee's thoughts and notes contains a lot of interesting ideas, which I found inspirational. However, there are some issues with the editing of this book. There is quite a lot of repetition, which probably could have been reduced with tighter editing. Also, Bruce Lee was a reader, so he has a lot of knowledge of philosophy and psychology. There are some passages which seem to be notes on his readings. Perhaps the editor doesn't have a background in these fields, so the sou ...more
Bilal Murtaza
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
While the writing style of this book is slightly disappointing, Bruce's quotes still sound genuine, authentic, insightful and most importantly relatable. The book definitely needs to be written in a more detailed style but its still extremely fascinating and makes me wish I had met the man in person in his life and picked his mind on topics close to my heart such as anger, anxiety and frustration. I've seen interview footage of Bruce before so all the time while I was reading this book, I felt a ...more
Patrick
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a book which would have more of an narrative than simply a collection of 'striking thoughts', but that was not the intention of this book so it is not at fault here. What could be said though, is that I would have appreciated some kind of introduction for each chapter to give you an idea of what the different topics cover. Then again, it wasn't put together for long reads.

It remains a great book that stays with me at work which I read for 5 to 10 minutes by randomly opening a pag
Randy Daugherty
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read, Bruces' insight is simple yet provoking.This is a book to be read and reread and thought about. It reflects Bruces' thoughts on many subjects as he made his journey through life and perhaps will show you the way to your path as you make your journey, as in all things he isnt tryin to teach you as he is trying to inspire yourself to question and learn as you make your way , to become all you can be.
Jerome Jay Isip
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
I was always admired this man as a young boy. As I've gotten older I never realized how in touch he was within---himself and the world. This man had a way with words to be so personally involved, deep, and inspirational. In my opinion, this man was a genius---in life. God rest his soul, what he left behind in this world is priceless. Thank you Bruce Lee for leading by example to help others understand the true meaning of oneself.
Karl Agius
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Finished reading through this book, but haven't finished with it. It's really a buffet for thought. The whole book is a collection of ideas from various sources with some of Lee's comments on them, as well as several of his own thoughts. As he says himself, its purpose is to make one think, not to give answers or tell one how to think. The sections that talk about quality and self-expression are particularly powerful.
Kim
May 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
I was all geared up to get some new and well-spoken wisdom here but I found some of it conflicting and most of it second-hand interpretations of more compelling texts. I'm not saying what he has to say isn't good or even important but it's been said and more eloquently elsewhere. Still admire him though and might read through it again before passing it on to someone else.
  • The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit: A Biography
  • Autumn Lightning: The Education of an American Samurai
  • The Bruce Lee Story
  • On the Warrior's Path: Philosophy, Fighting, and Martial Arts Mythology
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
  • The Bible of Karate: Bubishi
  • The Power of Internal Martial Arts: Combat Secrets of Ba Gua, Tai Chi, and Hsing-I
  • The Art of Peace
  • The Spirit of Aikido
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • Essence of Ninjutsu
  • Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence
  • Be Like Water: Practical Wisdom from the Martial Arts
Bruce Lee was an American-born martial artist, philosopher, instructor, martial arts actor and the founder of the Jeet Kune Do martial arts system, widely regarded as the most influential martial artist of the 20th century and a cultural icon. He was the father of actor Brandon Lee and of actress Shannon Lee.
More about Bruce Lee...
“Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” 602 likes
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.” 250 likes