Start by marking “Weekends with Max and His Dad” as Want to Read:
Weekends with Max and His Dad

Weekends with Max and His Dad

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  456 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Max and his dad love their weekends together. Weekends mean pancakes, pizza, spy games, dog-walking, school projects, and surprising neighbors! Every weekend presents a small adventure as Max gets to know his dad’s new neighborhood—and learns some new ways of thinking about home.        Acclaimed author Linda Urban deftly portrays a third-grader’s inner world during a time ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Weekends with Max and His Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weekends with Max and His Dad

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Weekends with Max and His Dad
Amanda Schreiber
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun story for students with divorced parents. The main character Max is a 3rd grader who spends weekends at his dad's apartment. Although the they do fun things together it doesn't quite feel like home...yet! Can Max learn to call Dad's apartment home?

I hope to use this book for my character unit with my ELL and striving readers in 5th grade. Great characterization & fun adventures will have students cracking up at scenes like "the sore butt blues." The book is told in several parts which mak
Joy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perhaps a little syrupy but this is such a comforting, sweet read with the kind of world we wish all kids lived in-- with a loving parent and a sense of community.
Susan  Dunn
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Max's parents are newly divorced, and his dad has a new apartment. He's done his best to make it comfy for Max, but it's still a bit weird for both of them. His dad is mostly living out of boxes, and there's nothing in the living room but a TV and an armchair. Max goes to stay with his dad every other weekend - and together the two have wonderful adventures and experiences exploring the neighborhood, pretending to be spies, meeting the neighbors and eating bacon and pineapple pancakes at the loc ...more
Lydia
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was okay. It would be a good choice for a young reader dealing with the strangeness of a divorce. But even for a kids book, I have read many that were more impressive. This was cutesy and frankly boring.
Jordan Henrichs
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a perfect little book for the 3rd/4th grade set. Especially for students that age grappling with divorced parents. Urban's narrative feels effortless but obviously a lot of craft went into this little story.
StarszBooks
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet book about a boy and his newly divorced dad. I loved seeing Max and his dad adjust to weekend visits. It was wonderfully written.
Donalyn
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Reread this year for a work project. Love this family and Max!
Aaron
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute tale of a boy and his dad navigating the new world of weekend visitations after a separation. Over three weekends the boy comes to terms with having two homes. The characters are endearing too.
Reanna
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a giveaway win here on Goodreads and although a review wasn't required, I feel it's only fair to give one.

We are introduced to Agents Pepperoni and Cheese, Max and his dad respectively, as they began their weekend adventure of spy training. Aside from all the fun they are having, the real message is there. Dealing with parents splitting up, living in different homes, isn't the easiest adjustment for a kid to make. While training dad to be a spy, Max and he explore the neighborhood arou
Stephanie Croaning
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
At 150 pages, Weekends with Max and His Dad is a good transitional chapter book for those readers who are moving beyond a beginning reader. The book is divided into three chapters that focus on three consecutive weekends of Max visiting his father's new apartment after his parents' divorce.

The first weekend they are spies, canvassing the new neighborhood and learning about this new environment. The second weekend is titled "The Blues" and we learn that Max's dad is learning to play the ukulele.
Deania
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
This is a good chapter book. The book is a good read for a mother or a father to read to their kids. It talks about family issues and how a son gets along with his dad since his parents are separated. The son has a good time and teaches his dad some fun stuff. Moving and buying things are fun to read about. Meeting new people and making new friends is always a treat.
Martha
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3-chapter-book
Finding a high quality boy book that isn't babyish, or thrown together with super heroes and over the top action is a challenge. This title is exactly right for young readers. Max is from a recently divorced family, and although this topic could be sad, it isn't. Max spends weekends with his Dad. When he begins these visits the newly acquired apartment his Dad is living in is bare, Max doesn't even have a chair to sit on. Yet his relationship with his Dad is well balanced. He gingerly suggests i ...more
The Library Lady
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Most of Linda Urban's books are aimed at slightly older kids, but this is as thoughtful as any she has done. Max's dad has moved into a new apartment, and as Max spends weekends with him, they have simple adventures, as both of them adjust to a new habitat, and a new way of being together. It's clear from the text that Mom and Dad have just separated, but it's never discussed, though Mom is alluded to once or twice. Simple and easy to read, this will doubtlessly turn up on lots of well meaning l ...more
Tricia
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Max’s parents don’t live together any more, so he’s spending weekends in his father’s new apartment. There’s no couch, and his room has weird curtains. The first time he stays there, Max gets a feeling “like somebody was sitting on his chest.” But as he and Dad eat pancakes at Ace Coffee Shop, walk the neighbor’s dogs, and find the perfect used sofa, their new routines take on a new kind of rightness. Compressing life’s most powerful experiences— love, loss, growth—into small, slice-of-life scen ...more
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Edelweiss and HMH for a digital review copy of this book. It is tough to find great stories for transitional readers, so I am excited to share this title with teachers and students. It reminded me of the Fudge/Judy Blume books (maybe the apartment setting?) with stories that reflect daily life of many readers-it is clear that the author knows her audience well. How wonderful that is is the first of a planned series.
Franki Sibberson
Loved this book. Max and Dad are both great characters and this book deals with the issue of divorce and family changes in a way that is perfect for this age reader. I think this will be an important read for a lot of kids.
Paul Orsino
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Weekends with Max and His Dad is a beautifully written story about a complex topic. Urban has addressed divorce in a delicate and approachable way.
Leigh Anne
Perfect book for those students in 2nd to 4th grade.
Kristen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cute little story about adjusting to a split-parent family, but it's much too young for my middle grade readers. I'd say a great read for 2nd-4th graders.
The Reading Countess
*Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the free book. All opinions are my own.

Fans of Linda Urban have come to expect a high level of writing in her books. Having read A CROOKED KIND OF PERFECT myself, I can attest to her ability to shoot straight from the hip toward her middle grade readers; there is no soft-shoe peddling around tough subjects. That is why her readers trust her, why they see themselves in her writing, why they return to her time and time again.

Weekends With Max and His Dad, w
Sunah Chung
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fiction
The 3rd grader, Max, spends his weekends with his dad because his parents are divorced. The book describes three episodes in three weekends of him visiting his dad’s new apartment. The first episode of the first weekend is to explore dad’s new neighborhoods while playing detectives. The story shows Max and dad being considerate of each other and not to hurting each other’s’ feelings and understanding their interests. Although the parents are divorced and Max lives with his mother during the week ...more
Matt Eanes
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: primary
Early Reader #1, Grade 2-5

Weekends with Max and His Dad is a lighthearted story dealing with divorced parents and what living in two homes is like. The story talks about the fun Max has with his Dad and some of the obstacles Max faces with learning to deal with the transition. Can Max feel at home at his Dad's the same way he does at home with Mom? Eventually, through an attentive Dad, Max learns that both places can be called home.

I chose this book based on the tough family topic that many kid
Jo-ann Walsh
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable book about a boy named Max whose parents are divorced. He spends weekends with his Dad. Dad has just moved into a new apartment. The story takes place over three weekends. During the first weekend, Max decides to train his dad to be a spy. In the second weekend, Max comes up with a plan for dad to have an Open Mike night to play his ukulele. During the third weekend, Dad has a cold and Max's best friend Warren sleeps over. The boys have to finish school projects and go on a q ...more
Laurel
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-dude
Message learned: Divorced parents can provide two homes (or habitats) that are as equally loving, safe, and comfortable.

While this is a lengthier chapter book for young readers, it contains three separate stories within. Each story takes place over one of the weekends Max spends with his newly independent Dad. Dad has moved into a separate apartment from Max's Mom, who lives in a house.

Max is in third grade, and I read this with my son when he was in second grade. My son absolutely devoured this
Jacki
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Max’s dad now lives in an apartment, so Max spends the weekends with him there. Over the course of three weeks, Max and his dad have spy adventures, figure out how to beat the blues, and create a porcupine habitat for a 3rd grade project together. Max has some uncomfortable feelings about the change and his dad’s desires, but they always work it out, and Max accepts his new home by the end.

I really like how the topic of separated parents is addressed in this book: by not outrightly discussing i
Kathie
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent transitional chapter book that focuses on Max, and his relationship with his dad. Max lives with his mom during the week, but spends weekends at his dad's new apartment. Not only do these two have fun adventures together (like being spies, working on school projects, taking part in open mike nights, and eating bacon and pineapple pancakes), but we see the emotions of a young boy adjusting to his parents living apart. What I loved best was the fact there was no negativity sur ...more
Caitie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
In this chapter book, readers join Max as he learns how to find a sense of home following his parents' divorce. At first, when Max spends the weekends with his dad at his new apartment, he struggles to consider the apartment home. However, as he creates new memories with his dad, he discovers that home is not limited to a building or specific location; rather, home is wherever he is with those he loves. Weekends with Max and His Dad is a piece of realistic fiction that shares a fictional story a ...more
Elissa Schaeffer
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short, gentle story about Max as he begins to spend weekends with his dad after his parents divorced. The time we spend with Max is, as the title implies, is only from Friday through Sunday when he is with his dad. Max gets used to the apartment, the new neighborhood, and the new neighbors as he develops this new-to-both relationship with his dad. He slowly learns that home is more about who you are with and not where you are and that different isn't a bad thing.

Recommended, grades 2
Katherine
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Max spends weekends with his Dad in an apartment building and weekdays with his Mom in a house. Weekends with Max and His Dad explores three weekends with Max and Dad and the activities they do. For example, on one weekend Max and Dad become spies and explore Dad's new neighborhood, including eating bacon and pineapple pancakes. By the of the third weekend, Max realizes that both the apartment building and the house are home. Hand this to any child whose parents are going through a divorce or li ...more
Nora
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this sweet story! Max spends weekends with his dad at his new apartment. Over the course of several weekend visits, the apartment becomes 'home', just like his house with his mom. Max and his dad make friends (canine and human) in the new apartment building and get used to all the noises of the neighbors. They have sweet adventures and it made me want to move to the neighborhood, too! A great chapter book to read with a young child.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Stella Díaz Has Something to Say
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Roll with It
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • Prairie Lotus
  • Bat and the Waiting Game (A Boy Called Bat, #2)
  • Bat and the End of Everything (A Boy Called Bat, #3)
  • A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • Easy Origami Ornaments: An Augmented Reality Crafting Experience
  • Chirp
  • Rosetown
  • Hello, Crochet Friends!: Making Art, Being Mindful, Giving Back: Do What Makes You Happy
  • Sea Otter Heroes
  • Beginners Welcome
  • Cub
  • The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Hanukkah
  • Ways to Make Sunshine
This was from the About Me section at Linda Urban's website.

I was born in Detroit, Michigan, and raised in a suburban house that looked like all the others on my street. Sometimes I liked that sameness. It made me feel normal, when I worried I wasn’t.

Other times, though, I wanted to be different — to shine, to have people see me as special. I tried ballet dancing and singing and playing musical in