Start by marking “The Land of Forgotten Girls” as Want to Read:
The Land of Forgotten Girls

The Land of Forgotten Girls

Two sisters from the Philippines, abandoned by their father and living in impoverished circumstances in Louisiana, fight to make their lives better.

Soledad has always been able to escape into the stories she creates. Just like her mother always could. And Soledad has needed that escape more than ever in the five years since her mother and sister died and her father moved S
Published March 1st 2016 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Land of Forgotten Girls, please sign up.
Amy I think more in terms of grade. I would say appropriate for 4th grade up (probably up to about 7th) but would have most impact on 6th-7th graders.
Maryam You can't buy books from Goodreads. You can buy it from amazon.com

Start your review of The Land of Forgotten Girls
Hannah Greendale
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade

Soledad (Sol) was only seven when her sister Amelia drowned. She was eight when her mother died, and she barely had time to recover from her mother's passing before her father remarried and moved the family to America. When she was nine, Sol's father went back to the Philippines to attend a funeral and never returned. Now that she's twelve, Sol and her younger sister Ming live with their abusive stepmoth
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
An empowering and moving story about sisterhood.

“She isn’t rich. She’s clever. That means she knows how to use her imagination. When you can do that, you can do anything.”

This is something Soledad’s mother would always say. She was a weaver of words. A magnificent storyteller. A fairy godmother that would gladly whisk you away from the danger of reality.

And, when she died. Soledad doesn’t know how to escape the peril of drowning into her own trance.

Soledad and Dominga.

Sol and Ming for short. The
Neil (or bleed)
Things I know to be true: I like this book. Scratch that. I love this book!
Jillian
Dec 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
a book written by a filipino-american with two filipina protagonists!

*CRIES SO MANY TEARS*

*i received a DRC from Edelweiss and HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review!*
Mariz Dela Cruz
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading The Land of Forgotten Girls, I didn’t encounter boring scenes. I liked Sol’s fairy tales, they really took me to fascinating places. I think this one is a book for all ages, this is different from other Middle Grade books.

I liked the flashbacks in the Philippines and it made me smile when I read a Filipino word. I got attached to the characters, especially with Sol. She’s just 12 year old and she’s already carrying a lot of burden. I love Sol and Ming’s strong sibling bond, the
angel jewel
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was about a girl named Sol and her sister, Ming. Sol had another sister, before Ming, that died from drowning in the Philippines. Sol thinks that it was all her fault. Sol's mother also died so now she lives with her dad and her evil stepmother, Vea. They moved to Louisiana together but Sol's father abandoned them after and left them all alone with Vea. I love this book, I find it very interesting because this is the first book I have read about Philippines.
Kelly Hager
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is seriously amazing. It's the kind of novel that exudes hope and faith and is essentially destined to become a classic.

I immediately loved Soledad (and her little sister Ming) and I rooted for them to be able to get away from their stepmother somehow. (Even knowing that there's really no chance, as they are both so young.) I also love the fact that the author chose not to make Vea a caricature of evil; there are glimpses that she's also been damaged by life.

Everything about this book
Aljon
Dec 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
Filipino-American author! Filipino protagonists! :D I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I've never read a book that had Filipino characters before, and as a Filipino myself, this is really exciting for me :D :D
Katherine
”My mother once told me that sisters were bound by invisible ribbons, and these ribbons held them together until the end of time, no matter what.”

3.5 out of 5 stars

I don’t have a sister, but if I did, I’d want one as fiercely protective and imaginative as Sol.
Abby Johnson
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh man, this book broke my heart.

It's a little bit of a modern fairy tale but without the magic (although these two imaginative sisters like to imagine lots of magic). Sol and her little sister were born in the Philippines but came to American with their father and stepmother after their mom died. Now their father has gone back to the Philippines, leaving them in a crummy apartment in Louisiana with their wicked stepmother. To help her sister cope, Sol imagines a place called The Land of Forgot
Josiah
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Erin Entrada Kelly's career as a novelist started fast with two books in two years, leading up to the monster success of her third novel (Hello, Universe), which won the Newbery Medal. The second of those first two books, The Land of Forgotten Girls, mines Ms. Kelly's Filipino family history for a fresh story of growing up American when you were born in a land of less opportunity. Twelve-year-old Soledad (Sol) Madrid has had several unfortunate breaks in life: her little sister Amelia drowned un ...more
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
😭😭😭😭😭

I'm not crying, you're crying. Excuse me while I mend my broken heart! Oh my gods, this book hit me right in the feels. It was so creative and I love all the stories woven in! I couldn't help but think of my siblings when I reading. And I of course thought about my younger sister so it was really heartwarming and breaking at the same time.
Mila
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a lovely story about sisterly relationships and I loved it. I especially enjoyed the writing style and Sol's character development throughout the book. I can't wait to read more of Erin Entrada Kelly's books.
Jen Breen
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First 0ff, the title--so powerful. Not only did I enjoy this book but inpspiring to any of any age that has suffered abuse during childhood or felt like an outsider. It offers a realistic sense of hope that is often not found within children's literature. It's real--authentic and does not patronize the reader. Another piece I especially loved about this book is the aspect of strong girls connecting with and building upon each other's strengths in a non stereotypical way and across social backgro ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨ by: Glaiza
A lovely, lovely book about sisterhood and the power of stories.

- Features two utterly adorable and precious Filipino-American girls, Soledad and Dominga - Sol and Ming for short.
- Celebrates and explores the power of stories and storytelling - how the stories we have and tell are passed onto children, who then pass it onto their children - or, in Sol's case, her little sister Ming - and how stories are powerful in taking us away to somewhere else, somewhere better.
- I really loved and connected
Kami Stohl
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about two sisters. It's about hope and love and family, and about the power of imagination. It was sad, but still left me feeling uplifted. The relationship between Sol and Ming was so powerful. It made me wish I had a sister!
kim hannah
⭐⭐⭐ 2.5 Stars

"My mother once told me that sisters were bound by invisible ribbons, and these ribbons held them together until the end of time, no matter what."

I just didn't connect with the characters. The beginning was slow and boring. The ending felt unfinished and rushed. Nothing was resolved.

It's a bit disappointing. Being the eldest, I know what it's like to have two younger sisters to look after. I know the bond we have even if I've moved out or have a 12 year gap with the youngest - w
Kori Morris
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantasy and realism intertwined - this book reminds me a lot of Bridge to Terebithia. In both the book is in large part about siblings and friends, though the antagonists in BtT are bullies and here she is the wicked step-Mother. In both the protagonists escape reality through a fantasy world, and encounter adults who aid their cause.

I recommend this to anyone who likes Bridge to Terebithia, or who thinks they might.
Shealea
Review to follow!

Actual rating: 4 stars
Glaiza
I couldn’t ask for a better Expecto Patronum book than this one for #DAReadathon.

Sol weaves stories for herself and her sister Ming in order to cope with loss at different points in their lives.

Cont'd on the blog:
Danielle
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"She isn't rich...she's clever. That means she knows how to use her imagination. When you can do that, you can do anything." (p. 74)

"The best thing about having a mind is that it's invisible—you can think whatever you want, even if it's childish, and it doesn't matter. Your thoughts belong to you, and only you." (p. 225)

Ashley Blake
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gah, I loved this book so much. A heartbreaking tale of sisters and dashed hopes, this book still manages to feel hopeful. It's real and messy and so, so inspiring. Highly recommend.
Laina SpareTime
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cross-posted from my blog where there's more information on where I got my copy and links and everything.

I really like middle grade books about sisters, I’m realizing. I love that Dicey Tillerman, Delphine Gaither type of character. Sol reminds me so much of them that I feel like I should start keeping a list of this type of book. Her voice is so mature and that lends itself very well to a character that feels the weight of the world on her shoulders.

I actually went into this expecting something
MaryRose
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, Soledad you and Ming have a pretty rough life. But, I love this book so much, was the end suppose to be a cliffhanger? My grandma is like Ms.Yueng, gotta love her. I have so many questions about what happened, everything came into the picture. For those of you that have NOT read this book, I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys learning about other cultures. I developed a lovable feeling for this book. I couldn't put it DOWN!
Brittany
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The truth has a thousand voices."

What a meaningful, poignant and timely book. This is a great cultural narrative that would pair with so many great pieces of historical fictions about the immigrant narrative. It would create some powerful comparisons to the past and present immigrant experience.

What gorgeous voices.
cutesyreader ツ
Urmm... I don't know but I seem to can't get into the story. I might give this book a second chance of reading soon.
Elif
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I LOVED THIS BOOK! It got me interested from LITERALLY THE FIRST PAGE TO THE LAST (I'm serious) and had great characters (mainly) that (mainly) make sense. Just there were a few things I was unable to ignore:
Even though this was a wonderfully interesting and emotional novel, I find it highly unrealistic in some places. Isn't this supposed to be REALISTIC fiction?
THE BOOK FORGOT TO TELL US THE SECRET THE DUDE IN THE DUMPSTER HAD. I wanted to know........
Besides those and some other things I was t
Nursyafiqah Wai
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
At last, I managed to finish this book. I took a lot of time to finish it because the plot is a bit slow in the beginning and in the middle but I cannot put down the book towards the end. This is because I want to know what happened to the two girls. Nonetheless it tells you the story of sisterhood and imagination and will definitely warm your heart.
Jodelyn
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book a lot! It has many good events. It is about two sisters named Sol and Ming. Sol is twelve-years-old and Ming is 6-years-old. They had another younger sister named Amelia but she died. Their mother also died. Soon after that, their father married a girl named Vea who is mean and disrespectful. They moved to Louisiana from the Philippines. Their father, later on, abandoned them with Vea. Vea starts to treat them cruelly and awfully. Aside from that, Sol could talk to her ...more
Ms. Yingling
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wndb
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central and reviewed there.

Sol has had a very difficult life. In the Philippines, her younger sister drowns, her mother dies of cancer, and her father marries a woman who just wants to go to the US. Once in the US, her father leaves the family, and Sol and her sister Ming are left with Vea, who struggles to keep the girls fed and housed in a difficult part of town. Sol has a good friend, Manny, but the two make a bad choice to throw things at students from a nea

• My Fate According to the Butterfly
  • The One and Only Bob
  • Clean Getaway
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Dark Sky Rising: Reconstruction and the Dawn of Jim Crow
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Amal Unbound
  • The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
Author of books for young people.