Start by marking “The History of Wine in 100 Bottles: From Bacchus to Bordeaux and Beyond” as Want to Read:
The History of Wine in 100 Bottles: From Bacchus to Bordeaux and Beyond

The History of Wine in 100 Bottles: From Bacchus to Bordeaux and Beyond

Winemaking is as old as civilization itself and wine has always been more than just a drink. For thousands of years, from its origins in ancient Mesopotamia to its current status as a vast global industry, the history of wine has been directly related to major social, cultural, religious and economic changes. This fascinating and entertaining book takes a look at 100 bottl ...more
Published April 16th 2015 by Pavilion (first published April 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The History of Wine in 100 Bottles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History of Wine in 100 Bottles

Start your review of The History of Wine in 100 Bottles: From Bacchus to Bordeaux and Beyond
Pcox
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Clever idea. Maybe my expectations were off but this didn't have enough detail to engage me.
Jeannie Boutelle
Many wine books, due to the nature of detail when talking about wine, are very dense, and almost encyclopedia-like and not in a bad way. This book is not one of those. It is organized and written in a very easy to read way, 1-2 pages on each wine/wine event/wine moment. This is a very engaging book and great for people who are not familiar with wine at all and want to start learning more or just be more informed. They put the whole wine business in context. It is multi-layered, you can find reco ...more
Jeffrey
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for wine enthusiasts. It's not the 100 "bottles" per se that matter - many of them are by the author's admission of dubious provenance or stand-ins for a larger theme. But it's basically a history of wine over the last 2,000+ years with various wines thrown in as exemplars of an event or idea (e.g. "labeling wine from a particular producer was a big deal" or "you can make good wine in South Africa," etc.) I wish I had bought the physical book rather than the Kindle version as the pho ...more
Mike Kothe
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. This is my field of study so for me it was refreshing and not as dense as a reference book. I liked the framework of the book and thought it read as a well organized narrative take on wine history in small stories that kept a quick and engaging pace.
Devin Bostick
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fun page stories on wines or styles you know most of if you’re s wine drinker - but facts you don’t. Interesting “how’s” and “why’s” to wine. Worth reading. He’s funny too!
Jeff Lavender
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wine history

A great way to learn about the history of wine and it's origins. Can't wait to return to Croatia and try the original so Zinfindel wine.
Misha
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of historically important moments for wine. Most crucially accessible to people with not a lot of wine knowledge!
Svitlana
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book if you are interested in wine and want to know more about its history. Basically, it is a set of short stories about major names, discoveries or inventions in wine realm. Including photos:)

If words Chateau Margaux, Bordeaux left bank, Saint Emillion or Auslese are familiar to you but you want to know more about the story behind them - read this book. Otherwise, I would recommend to start first with some wine glossary or Wine folly first.

At times I got somewhat disturbed with too in
Owen
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My boss let me borrow his copy of this book, raving about Oz's writing style and the ease of picking up individual stories. And it is true! Oz Clarke takes what could be a dry subject and gives us many little vignettes across the many millenia of wine production and trade. The stories are light and ... I am sorry. I am not intending wine puns, but they just seem to ... flow from the subject. Please forgive me.

Anyway, it is easy to pick up this book and open to any random page and find something
Burcu
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a fantastic book for a wine enthusiast, it gives a lot of information about the history of wine, the development of wine industry, starting point of the many wine companies of today. The idea of giving all these under 100 different titles is brilliant, it does not exhaust you and also gives you the chance to enjoy the book page by page in 100 days. I didn't want it to end.
Robb
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well done and illustrated.

I have been reading Oz Clarke books for several years now and they do not disappoint . Well-researched and full of timely information and trends. I always finish one of his books and find myself amazed at what I still learn . He's very entertaining in his writing style and honest in his opinions.
Allison Glass
Feb 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Wine Bible
  • Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Secrets of the Sommeliers: How to Think and Drink Like the World's Top Wine Professionals
  • The 24-Hour Wine Expert
  • The World Atlas of Wine
  • Food Fix: How to Save Our Health, Our Economy, Our Communities, and Our Planet-One Bite at a Time
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • When Changing Nothing Changes Everything: The Power of Reframing Your Life
  • Boundless: Upgrade Your Brain, Optimize Your Body  Defy Aging
  • Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste
  • Provence A-Z
  • Bring Jade Home: The True Story of a Dog Lost in Yellowstone and the People Who Searched for Her
  • Texas
  • The Hearts of Horses
  • Tasting the Past: The Science of Flavor and the Search for the Origins of Wine
  • Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men: Searching through Scotland for a Border Collie