Start by marking “Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach” as Want to Read:
Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach

Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach

Brand New Softcover Edition.
Published January 1st 2012 by Elsevier India (first published April 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Architecture, please sign up.
Demigha Oualid Stall in pipelining is when a stage among the five stages (or more depending on the architecture) cannot progress in execution because of the lack of …moreStall in pipelining is when a stage among the five stages (or more depending on the architecture) cannot progress in execution because of the lack of data from the previous stages. The execution units corresponding to that stage remain inactive until data become available.
In modern architectures, a scheduling unit alongside with an out-of-order execution engine are setup to avoid such a behavior. So that, when an instruction is scheduled for entering the pipeline, it is more likely that the processor does not stall and all execution units will function 100%. Sophisticated techniques of resource allocation, data caching and register renaming are employed to achieve that.(less)

Start your review of Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach
Sofie Giocante
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it's a good read. I found it practical and easy to understand, even though I'm not a big fan of comupter books, I'm more into docmuentation and technical manuals. ...more
Meghna Mandava
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best textbook evr
David
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Changed how I live my life!
Gregory Blake
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding follow-up to Computer Organization and Design, Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach is exactly what it says on the tin: A Quantitative Approach to Computer Architecture. Shocking, I know.

I found Chapter One to be fairly uninteresting, the description of memory models in Chapter 2 and advanced pipelining concepts in Chapter 3 (particularly the discussion of Tomasulo's Algorithm) enlightening, but Chapter 4 is where the book really heats up. It starts light with vector and
Zach
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that Moore's law is at an end, how do we make computers faster? 1: The Memory Hierarchy (caches). This works pretty well, but caches can only be so large before they get slow. 2: Instruction-Level Parallelism (instruction pipelines). This is horribly complicated, doesn't work particularly well, and is subject to side channel attacks. But it doesn't require any work on the part of developers. 3: Data-Level Parallelism (GPUs). This works great for specialized applications. 4: Thread-Level Para ...more
Erik Z
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit wordy, like any good american book, but what really gets me about the book is the quote on the back, which will stay with me forever.

"Do you ever have the feeling that computer architectures come and go, but CA:AQA is forever?" =)
Taylor
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely quantitative in its approach, which was sometimes too much for me, but definitely as advertised so I won't slight it for that. It's written in that humble sort of way with respect for the topics, and that's something I always appreciate.
I found it was the most boring book ever, but occasionally I'd learn something so good that I couldn't stop reading it.
Robin Dong
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed
Samars
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome.
Colin
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm probably now in the wrong position to be reading this book, as I've already had the undergrad courses on it. This is a clear and detailed look at the whole spectrum of computer architecture. It even includes a chapter on disk storage, although event I find it very difficult to get excited about RAID and disk drives!
This is a classic textbook on the subject. There's not much more to say.
Vasil Kolev
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-tech-books, tech
Definitely not easy to read.

This is a comprehensive textbook on ISA/architecture design, with very recent examples (i7, cortex-a8), and explains the problems you can see with the current hardware and how some of those get solved. There's a good chapter on GPUs, and not-that-good chapter on "warehouse-sized-computers" (e.g. a google datacenter).

It's good to do at least a cursory read, just to have an idea what happens below the compiler/compiled code/assembly.
Nathaniel Mathews
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Hennessy and Patterson have a lot of great numbers and facts in the book, which help ground the theory of computer architecture in reality. There's an excellent mix of content-driven chapters and helpful appendices. The only thing holding this book back from a perfect review is the heavy and obvious bias towards their own MIPS architecture, when in the modern world greater attention to x86 would probably have been more helpful. ...more
Pete
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arguably one of the most in depth and thoughtful books on computer architecture I have ever had the pleasure to read. A book I keep coming back too. Chapter 2 Memory Hierarchy and 6 Warehouse-Scale Computers are must reads. Highly, highly recommended.
DJ
Jan 22, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
more adventures in computer architecture
Nivas
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Textbook used for computer architecture course
Christian Kotz
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
oldy but goldy
Nynke Fokma
Mine also mentions David A. Patterson as author.
Manik
It is a good Book
Kevin Winata
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It puts me to think about architecture as not merely a founded set of rules on how to build computers or each component. But using the trade-offs of each option.
Dimitri
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patterson teaches a graduate course at Berkeley based on this book, and the lectures are available online ...more
Diane
Jan 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nerd
The school I teach at, SUNY Old Westbury, assigned me this book for undergraduate Computer Architecture by mistake. This book is intended for graduate students.
Nick Black
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth edition is a mighty step up, although this is a classic and well worth having for its expanded historical coverage, pleasantly interwoven in the text as opposed to cold exile on the cdrom.
Chris
Abhishek
Apr 16, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
afdgzfdgh
Robert Grossman
Challenging, but worth it.
Musfiq
Dec 24, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone interested
very interesting book. introductory materials but very helpful
Bhavana Ba

• Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
  • Code Complete
  • Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
  • Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach
  • PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • Computer Networks
  • Structured Computer Organization
  • UML 2 and the Unified Process: Practical Object-Oriented Analysis and Design
  • Basis Data

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...