Start by marking “Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos

Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos

(Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos #1-4)

Collects Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos #1-4, Werewolf by Night #1.

Her name is Shiklah — undisputed queen of the Monster Metropolis below Manhattan! In the world that was, she married Deadpool. But nothing on Battleworld is as it was. Now, Shiklah commands the Howling Commandos: Werewolf by Night! Frankenstein's Monster! The Living Mummy! Man-Thing! Marcus the
Published May 3rd 2016 by Marvel (first published April 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos

Start your review of Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos
Jeff
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
If the Secret Wars crossover event was a food, it would be my Mom’s meatloaf – it smells and looks inviting, there’s bacon on top, it’s got cheese, mushrooms and onions inside, yet it’s continually overcooked, most of the cheesy goodness melts off and it tastes like the galoshes I was forced to wear in grade school.

Sorry, Mom!

This one starts off like gangbusters – It’s laugh-out-loud funny. It’s engaging. The concept is interesting. It’s fun. Then the author realized he had to pace himself and
Paul E. Morph
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, if anybody could actually make the horrible mess that is Secret Wars funny it'd be Gerry Duggan and Deadpool. :-D

Narrated by Deadpool's ghost, this tale follows Shiklah (Mrs. Deadpool to those of you who are new to the 'Pool Party) as she leads a ragtag band of 'Howling Commandos' (Nick Fury says the lawsuit is in the post) against Dracula and his vampire army.

Oh, 1970s Blade-Thor shows up too.

If that doesn't sound flarking awesome to you, you should probably avoid this one.
Mike
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
TL;DR Funny in spurts. Duggan has found his groove with this character.

This is the first of my many Secret Wars tie-ins, which I'm selecting based on a combination of reviews by trusted Goodreaders + the ranking in Comic Book Herald's Secret Wars tie-ins list, where I'm going no lower than the "Average to Good" category. [My reviews may indicate I hate myself, but not *that* much.]

Deadpool's dead?

[Yep, that'll do it.]

But his ability to take shots at his loyal readers isn't:

[Um, why are you
Gary Butler
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3rd book read in 2019.

Number 494 out of 751 on my all time book list.

This one does not take itself seriously which makes for a more enjoyable read.
Dan
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Carrying on pretty much directly from the last Deadpool volume, this book sees the ghost of Deadpool tell the story of Shiklah's (his succubus wife) mission to destroy Dracula on Battleworld. She's aided by the Howling Commandos- although they have nothing to do with the original, friends of Captain America Commandos. No, this is an excellent pun in which the commandos are all monsters.

It's always interesting to see a supporting character get their own title. Shiklah is not really leading lady
Aurelia
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, comics, 2015
First two issues were unexpectedly good and funny. The last two were weaker - especially the ending. It was hurried and dissatisfying. To quote Deadpool from the last page of the 4th issue: "What's that? I already have a new series?" And it does feel that the creators were one foot out the door as well since the beginning of the fourth issue.
Dan
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Beyond cheesy with Deadpool as a ghost and the only thing I liked was the tribute to Queen cover.
Ashley
This was nothing more than a fun piece of fluff that entertained for the half-hour it took to take it in.
This graphic served it purpose, as it was a cheap clearance bin find that only set me back a couple of dollars and a few minutes of my time.

Colorful and a bit more detailed than expected, it still had the feel of a Saturday morning cartoon but with the campy tone of the arc, the art worked.

I'm not a big Marvel kind of girl, so I'm not sure what liberties were taken with some of the
Dawn
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a Secret Wars tie-in but I read it outside of that continuity. If you know the characters in general, it still works as a story arc. It has action and, with Deadpool's ghost narrating, plenty of humor. It's a good story overall about Shiklah heading to the underworld and trying to find a way to avoid having to marry Dracula, with the Howling Commandos along for the ride. No, not the wartime, Captain America version, but the more literal ones: werewolf, Frankenstein monster, mummy... you ...more
Dimitris
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Ah, that ending was unexpected as hell. And not much of a good outcome for reading the series. But, it was nice, how everything ended up, and woah, Dracula was like this stupid arrogant fool that in the end was able to just (view spoiler) that...was... weird. Anyway, Deadpool was still a nice touch of course and Shiklah was...well, Shiklah.

Seemed a bit rushed to end it, dunno..I was like, what? That's it? Ok. Nothing too funny, just
Chad
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I hope Gerry Duggan gets to write Deadpool forever. He's taken the mess that is Secret Wars and given us a well-crafted, funny story. He's so good at combining humor and action. The premise of this book is a What If? style story, "What if Dracula killed Deadpool?". Mrs. Deadpool and the Marvel monsters go to hell to find a weapon to defeat Dracula while the ghost of Deadpool narrates the story.
B
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
There were a couple of really funny moments. It may have worked when it worked because the Deadpool stuff so refreshing.

Also, all the Invisible Man stuff was good, too.

Where it didn't work is with Mrs. Deadpool. She's kind of one-note and not that sympathetic.

Also, I thought the diabetic centaur stuff both (1) didn't pay off and (2) was punching down.
Alex
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
So gonzo. This delivers fun, but without a significant amount of gravity. The bonus werewolf comic book is full of pulpy melodrama, and not nearly as much fun as the beginning of the collection. I would have enjoyed more something a little closer tonally.
Daniel Butcher
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Monsters being funny...Duggan kills it again!

Charles Mitchell
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
dumb. entertaining. only a twenty minute read for 4 issues of a comic. tertiary tits and tons of Gore.
Jen
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
There were some funny parts to this, but overall meh. Deadpool is in it a tiny bit and that was nice, his narration was mostly funny. Just another tie-in.
Matt Sautman
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a fan of vintage Marvel horror, this trade paperback is a wonderful blend of Deadpool zaniness and slight nods to the somewhat more bizarre characters in the Marvel universe who often occupy the periphery. The humor is meta, but the story structure itself may dishearten some readers because of its outcome. Although it is not explicit, the subtext of Mrs. Deadpool implies that the narrative is rooted within postcolonial thinking. The book may end up somewhat tragic, but for those willing to ...more
Erikka
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was hilarious and I absolutely adore Shiklah. I liked her fighting alongside the typical Universal monsters, but I especially loved ghost Deadpool trying in vain to communicate with her. Part of me feels like she could hear him the whole time and was just tuning him out. I skipped the Werewolf By Night comic at the end because it didn't look like my kind of thing. But otherwise, this was hilarious.
Frans Kempe
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-deadpool
Dead Deadpool and the vampires.
Tyler
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
very cute and funny; reminds me of the cartoons I watched as a kid
Matt
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Collects Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos issues #1-4 and Werewolf by Night (1972) issue #1

This story is set during the events of "Secret Wars," however it doesn't tie into "Secret Wars" in such a way that makes it required reading for that series. With that being said, with some minor tweaks, this story could exist as a "What If..." story (outside of the Battleworld of the 2015 "Secret Wars" event).

I'm shocked by how much I liked this book. Historically I haven't been a Deadpool fan, and
David
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
A surprisingly light and fluffy little tasty treat. There's not a whole lot to the story - it could really have fitted into a single long annual. The art by Salva Espin is phenomenal. And there's a good number of laugh out loud jokes. Really like the idea of changing the Legion of Monsters into the Howling Commandos. If you've skipped over this one you might look for a sale copy. It's worth picking up.
Amanda Balding
Another Secret Wars tie-in with a strong start and a weak ending. So I guess endings are to Secret Wars as kryptonite is to Superman (yes, I know that's from a different publisher, but I couldn't think of a better metaphor...)

Anyways, Shiklah is a badass and Deadpool is amusing as always. Give it a read, but maybe wait until the library has it or even just borrow it from a friend.
Ruth Klassert
There are only three Secret War spin offs I've enjoyed- and only one I've flat out loved & that one is this one. It goes very well with Gauntlet. The story line was perfect, and as usual with Gerry Duggan. If you are a Deadpool fan, you will probably enjoy this. If you wanted more Shiklah after Gauntlet, then you'll definitely enjoy this.
Geonessary
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. I didn't think it'd be very funny, but they had a lot of funny lines. The artwork was great and the story was good enough. I don't think anyone is missing out by not reading this, but it's definitely not a wasted read. I skimmed very quickly through the last issue, the Werewolf by Night, because it didn't interest me at all. So no real comment on that.
Earl
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful mess this Deadpool mini-series is. With Shiklah as the heroine of the tale, we see how she brought down the Lord of Vampires with the help of ghost-Deadpool... only to be obliterated by the Blade-Thor.
Doctor Doom
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
when I bought this book I did not notice it was part of the "Warzones" line- which I detest for the most part [not quite as much as DC's failed New 52]. However- it did an interesting take on some characters I like from their "real" timelines. But very unsatisfying.
Harry Lawrence
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, comics-and-gns
Nice short series, I was loving it most of the way through but then the ending was quite underwhelming so I took it down to 3 stars.
Jenna
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Read as single issues.

Love me some Shiklah, but this wasn't my favorite Secret Wars tie-in.
Willie Krischke
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
More Secret Wars silliness. Not particularly inspired. Just another way to pass the time while waiting for the stupid universe-rebooting event to run its course.

• Harleen (2019) #3
  • Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars
  • Harleen (2019) #1
  • Harleen (2019) #2
  • Secret Wars 2099
  • Guardians of Knowhere
  • Return of the Living Deadpool (The Living Deadpool, #2)
  • Marvel Zombies: Battleworld
  • Planet Hulk: Warzones!
  • Inhumans: Attilan Rising
  • Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies
  • 1602: Witch Hunter Angela

Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos (4 books)
  • Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos #1