Start by marking “The Three Fates (The Empress of Rome, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
The Three Fates (The Empress of Rome, #3.5)

The Three Fates

(The Empress of Rome #3.5)

The Three Fates

Beloved Emperor Trajan is dead. His brutal successor Hadrian draws ever nearer to Rome. And three desperate souls try to forge new paths in a world turned upside down . . .

THE EMPEROR’S NEMESIS. Battered warrior Vix has always been Hadrian’s bitter enemy, and he vows that will never change, even when he is made Praetorian Guard and Imperial watchdog. But
Published February 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Three Fates, please sign up.
Kate Quinn Sabina! Though probably in a wig, since she has short hair . . .
Kate Quinn Delighted you enjoyed MoR! If you read Empress of the Seven Hills, read The Three Fates next--it is a short piece set in between EotSH and Lady of the…moreDelighted you enjoyed MoR! If you read Empress of the Seven Hills, read The Three Fates next--it is a short piece set in between EotSH and Lady of the Eternal City. Sorry for the confusion!(less)

Start your review of The Three Fates (The Empress of Rome, #3.5)
S.J.A. Turney
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate is an author of both ancient and Renaissance novels, though to me (and to many) she is best known for her tales of Rome’s more powerful women during the height of the empire. I recently read and reviewed ‘Lady of the Eternal City’, her latest. I was perusing potential things to add to my kindle when I came across The Three Fates. Instant download. The Three Fates, I will say from the off, is definitely not a standalone work. As Kate mentions in her notes, this is, in fact, the original begi ...more
Angie
I know, I know. Why in the world did I give 5 stars on a very short story consisting essentially of 3 "vignettes" length of each about a chapter? Because as far as this kind of thing goes, this was GReAT! If the job of this was to get me pumped up & excited about reading Lady of the Eternal City (coming out next week!) then I say Job Well Done! I was instantly swept away back to the Roman world of Sabina, Vix, & Hadrian. I can't wait to start the novel next week. My only complaint is tha ...more
Brenda
When Vix was made Praetorian Guard after the death of Emperor Trajan by the new Emperor Hadrian, the difference in the two men was stark. Trajan had been loved by all – Hadrian was hated and for good reason. Hadrian had set a task for Vix – a task that he didn’t want; one that threatened all he held dear. The lives of his best friend Titus as well as Vix’s wife and children were on the line.

As Emperor Hadrian made his journey back to Rome, Vix pondered his future. But all he could se
Erin
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, short-stories
I've been a big fan of Kate Quinn's since I read Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1) by Kate Quinn a few years ago. KQ really knows how to bring Ancient Rome alive on the pages and it never takes too long before I'm completely immersed. " The Three Fates" is no exception and it makes me greedy to get my hands on Lady of the Eternal City (The Empress of Rome, #4) by Kate Quinn which will be released in bookstores very soon.

All re
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books, novellas
I love when novellas actually bridge the gap between books--cannot wait to read Lady of the Eternal City now!
Komal
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This little novella has totally gotten me in the spirit for Lady of the Eternal City. It's gonna be sooo good!
Darcy
This short gives up glimpses of the past characters and build a bridge to the new book. I hope that all of them make it through and happy, that they can overcome. A tall order I know.
Linda
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate Quinn is on my "always buy and read" list. It's a really short list - the only other two authors on it are Terry Pratchett and Jane Austen. I think that says enough of how highly I rate Ms Quinn's writing.

Buuuuuut of course I want to say more. :p I loved reading this. It's not a book as such, more of a novella or a short story collection to bridge the gap between Empress of the Seven Hills and Lady of the Eternal City. You'll need to have read at least Empress to know who
Faye
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read: November 2015
Rating: 4/5 stars

It has been almost three years since I finished Kate Quinn's Empress of Rome trilogy and I almost didn't pick this novella up as I didn't think I would remember enough about the characters and the storyline for it to be an engaging read. I'm glad I did though as everything came back to me easily while I was reading.

The novella is really split into three separate stories focusing on a different character from the previous trilogy a
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful little snippet of a story, three chapters in all, that help to bridge the gap between Kate Quinn's "Empress of the Seven Hills" and her newest release, "Lady of the Eternal City". It's been three years since I read the former and so I really appreciated the opportunity to be able to refresh my mind on the story and the characters by reading this. These were essentially supposed to be three chapters from the "Lady of the Eternal City" novel itself but Ms. Quinn explains that ...more
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't actually know why I've rated it 4 stars instead of 5. Maybe because there wasn't enough story to make it completely engrossing as the rest of Kate's novels are. Yes, it's because I needed more. And I'm so excited to say that as a diehard Kate Quinn fan, I'm finally letting myself read the final book in the Ancient Rome series.

To prepare myself for the intense ride that always comes with one of her novels, I read this delicious treat about Vix, Titus and Sabina. Yes, it was delightful an
Kate.
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Vix, Sabina, and Titus are back with these teasing snippets and a sneak peak of chapter one in the new Empress of Rome series.
Reading about them again has made me realise how I miss their story !!
I can not wait for book 4 !!!! - Lady of the Eternal City
Priscilla
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am so thankful that Kate Quinn come out with this little short! I am so excited for her next book! She is absolutely one of my favorite authors to read, she makes her characters seem real and I find myself easily rooting for them and hoping for good things to happen to some and others to die. I love Kate Quinn that is all I can really say. Except that every historical fiction fan should read her books!
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
3 short vignettes and oh how I missed these characters. I don't think I realized how much until I read this. I was immediately swept back into their Rome, their troubles and emotions. I really must read Lady of the Eternal City soon but I'm so worried for everyone! Kate Quinn is such a wonderful descriptive writer. I love her words and her historical visions.
Reeda Booke
A nice story that bridges the gap between "Empress of the Seven Hills" to "Lady of the Eternal City". Even though I re-read the former, it was a great refresher into some of the most prominent characters from the last book as they find themselves wondering how their lives will change now that Hadrian has become emperor.
Kara
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-ancient

Three short vignettes that cover a few events between books 3 and 4 of the Empress of Rome series. Don’t read unless you have read books 1-3.

Nice to Nessus again - good for him for lasting longer than most of the characters!
Piepie
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely a cliffhanger! Don't read this unless you have "Lady of the Eternal City" on hand ;)
Saskia
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't wait for the next book
Elena
3.5 stars. A lovely read which got me even more excited for the last book!
Erica
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rome
This is the second short story I've read by Kate Quinn and I'm sold. I've just ordered "Mistress of Rome" on my kindle.
Colleen Turner
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first introduction to Kate Quinn's writing was Empress of the Seven Hills, the third book in her Empress of Rome series, and since then I have gobbled up both of her novels in her Borgias series, The Serpent and the Pearl and The Lion and the Rose. Ms. Quinn has an exceptional ability to create these incredibly endearing yet flawed characters that you just can't help but love. Now with her fourth book in The Empress of Rome series, Lady of the Eternal City, coming out she has gifted her reade ...more
Jessica
This was a quick read. It's a series of three short scenes, featuring Vix, Sabina, and Titus, that take place after Empress of the Seven Hills but before Lady of the Eternal City. I've been looking forward to the release of Lady of the Eternal City, so this was a great read to whet my appetite for that book and to refresh my memory on where each of the characters stand.
Nikki
It has been quite some time since I have read any of the Empress of Rome series books, however, this short story prequel to book four certainly brought me quickly back. I was immediately reminded of why I enjoy Quinn's writing and characters (well, enjoy would not be the correct word for some of them). Vix's circumstances were well-drawn and I cannot help but hope for a good outcome in book four, though I suspect there will not be good news. I do recommend this to those who enjoy the series, especial ...more
Jamie
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I know this review is about a week later than when I read the three vignettes, but I really enjoyed them. It gives a little more insight into Vix, Sabina and Titus's lives between Empress of the Seven Hills and Lady of the Eternal City. Although I read Lady of the Eternal City before I read this, and picked up on certain elements that are brought to light in The Three Fates, I was still intrigued by Vix's dilemma and Titus' wedding day. As always, well done!
Kazza
May 10, 2015 added it
Recommends it for: people who like Kate Quinn's series
I don't think it's fair for me to rate a short story that is so short it's stretching the limits on what is counted as a short story, but definitely read this if you're invested in the series and in Vix, Sabina and Titus. And even if you're not, if you're reading this series, why not just read it? It's free, and honestly just takes like 15 minutes to read.
Stephanie
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate Quinn you minx you, giving us just enough to leave us wanting more...I hate when you read the "in between" novels and they end so quickly that you're mad that you finished it already...on to the next!
Charlotte
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'The Three Fates' by Kate Quinn (3.5/4). I love the Empress of Rome series and raced through this little collection of three prequel stories taking place in between 'Empress of the Seven Hills' and the hotly anticipated 'Lady of the Eternal City'. Excellent but just made me want LotEC all the more!
Joanne
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author kindly filled in the story between two of her novels. A tease, but appreciated nevertheless. Empress Sabina and Emperor Hadrian are famous. It's fun to read about what else was going on in Rome at the same time.
Margaret
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a great little teaser. I appreciate that Quinn decided to start Lady of the Eternal City later, but didn't want readers to miss out on these moments. It is the start to another great Quinn book.
Monica
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent novella!! I am super excited to read Lady of the Eternal City after reading these three short stories. Kate Quinn has the true gift of writing because she can suck me into a story even if it is only a few short pages.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 27, 2015 03:45PM

• A Year of Ravens: A Novel of Boudica's Rebellion
  • A Day of Fire: A Novel of Pompeii
  • Daughter of the Gods: A Novel of Ancient Egypt
  • The Heretic Queen
  • Song of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #2)
  • Daughters of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #3)
  • Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1)
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • The Scent of Secrets (Clara Vine, #3)
  • Helen of Troy
  • Always With Love (Billy and Me, #2)
  • Shame and the Captives
  • Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy
  • The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King, #1)
  • The Princess of Egypt Must Die
  • Bound by a One-Night Vow
  • The Crook and Flail (The She-King, #2)
  • The Housekeeper's Tale - The Women who really ran the English Country House
Kate Quinn is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of historical fiction. A native of southern California, she attended Boston University where she earned a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Classical Voice. She has written four novels in the Empress of Rome Saga, and two books in the Italian Renaissance, before turning to the 20th century with “The Alice Network” and “The Huntress. ...more

The Empress of Rome (4 books)
  • Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1)
  • Daughters of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #2)
  • Empress of the Seven Hills (The Empress of Rome, #3)
  • Lady of the Eternal City (The Empress of Rome, #4)
“I’m a man of Rome, with all that entails—a citizen, a soldier, a paterfamilias—and all men of Rome think they stride the earth and make it tremble. We make the laws and then punish the lawless; we make the borders and then punish the border-breakers; we record our own glory and then demand our names be remembered—all over the Empire we stride and we bellow, we make and we break. But if men are the makers and breakers of empires, then women are the makers and breakers of men. This” 2 likes
“Do not borrow fear before its time' ~ Titus” 1 likes