Start by marking “Data Science For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Data Science For Dummies

Data Science For Dummies

Discover how data science can help you gain in-depth insight into your business – the easy way!

Jobs in data science abound, but few people have the data science skills needed to fill these increasingly important roles in organizations. Data Science For Dummies is the perfect starting point for IT professionals and students interested in making sense of their organizat

Published February 20th 2015 by For Dummies (first published May 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Data Science For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Data Science For Dummies

Start your review of Data Science For Dummies
Daniella Araujo
I turned to this book with hopes to get a light reading on introductory data science, but what I got was a poorly styled, boring and repetitive text with overly technical terms without defining them. Such passages are interspersed with introductions which I assume should cater to the non-techie reader, such as this one: "People care about things that matter to them and that affect their lives. Generally, people want to feel happy and safe. They want to have fulfilling relationships. They want to ...more
Anthony.Uw.Ligmail.Com
Just skimmed through it quickly. Not a very in-depth overview
Johan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ict
I am done with this book, but I haven't finished it. I usually like the "For Dummies"-books. You can read about a topic without prior knowledge, without having studied the topic or without experiences.
The authors of those books assume no prior knowledge
You quickly go to a level where you can talk with others about it.
If you like the subject, you can go and read some more advanced books or enroll in an (online) class. If not, then at least you know what it is about.

I recently started reading tw
Angie Boyter
Mar 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
See my Amazon review titled, "I guess I'm not even up to Dummy level".
Oak
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Data Science for Dummies by Lillian Pierson is a 364-page educational book that introduces the reader to data science basics while delving into topics such as big data and its infrastructure, data visualization, and real-world applications of data science. It is a well-formatted book, and Pierson’s use of charts, graphs, and pictures helps the reader further understand the material.

One of my favorite sections of the book was Chapter 9, “Following the Principles of Data Visualization and Design.”
Song
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is only a general introduction about the diverse topics in Data Engineering and Data Science. It's good for the novice to have the quick glance about the domains in this area.

The pro part of the book is not just focusing on programming or statistics, but also giving very good introductions about the database, Microsoft Excel, visual design, data storytelling and the various sources to find Open Data. The con part is people need find other books to study further for any given topics in
Thomas
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
It was a valiant attempt to define and educate the audience on the book on what “data science” is. I think it accomplished that, but otherwise the book got lost in the firehose of presenting applications, tools, and methodologies. It was too shallow to be useful and too deep to be absorbed for me.

It’s a good place to start if you want to further explore what to actually read about or experiment with in data science.
Jiannina
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested to know what is data science about, this is a good book to read. I really like how the author uses very simple words and real life examples to explain complex concepts. She also gives you some resources that will help you acquire the skills you need if you want to become a data scientist.
Khalid Alawar
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that provides a holistic view of Data Science, not too technical, provides exactly what it promises!
Cathy Craig
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mls
This is super technical for my sticks and stones brain. I took away a general overview of how big data is generated and what people do with it and that was basically what I looking for.
Sam Isse
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great Book for introduction to data Science, it explains jargon of this field briefly
Eric
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good primer of what data science is and the tools available at a data analytic professional's disposal.
Ty Roper
Clear, simple explanation of Data Science.
Many references to public data sources and publicly available tools.
John
Nov 29, 2016
Brandon Wilde
May 02, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Data Science and Data Analysis Training Classes in Pune 1 1 Sep 17, 2019 08:15PM

• Data Strategy: How to Profit from a World of Big Data, Analytics and the Internet of Things
  • Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data
  • Blockchain For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
  • Happy Doomsday
  • The Ends of the World: Supervolcanoes, Lethal Oceans, and the Search for Past Apocalypses
  • Software Testing: An ISTQB-ISEB Foundation Guide
  • Modeling Enterprise Architecture with TOGAF: A Practical Guide Using UML and BPMN (The MK/OMG Press)
  • Enterprise Architecture At Work: Modelling, Communication And Analysis (The Enterprise Engineering Series)
  • Fundamentals of Business Process Management
  • Why We're Polarized
  • The Girl in Cabin 13 (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #1)
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • Fight Club 3
  • Afterlife
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 1: The Black Barn
  • Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • Automating Inequality: How High-Tech Tools Profile, Police, and Punish the Poor

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »