Start by marking “Data Science For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Data Science For Dummies

Data Science For Dummies

Discover how data science can help you gain in-depth insight into your business – the easy way!

Jobs in data science abound, but few people have the data science skills needed to fill these increasingly important roles in organizations. Data Science For Dummies is the perfect starting point for IT professionals and students interested in making sense of their organizat

Published February 20th 2015 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Data Science For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Data Science For Dummies

Start your review of Data Science For Dummies
Daniella Araujo
I turned to this book with hopes to get a light reading on introductory data science, but what I got was a poorly styled, boring and repetitive text with overly technical terms without defining them. Such passages are interspersed with introductions which I assume should cater to the non-techie reader, such as this one: "People care about things that matter to them and that affect their lives. Generally, people want to feel happy and safe. They want to have fulfilling relationships. They want to ...more
Ashok Krishna
To be candid, this ended up being one of those rare books that I stopped reading after a while and started skimming instead. Too much theory and overflowing with words. Occasionally repetitive and too tiresome. You can use it as a generic reference material though.
Anthony.Uw.Ligmail.Com
Just skimmed through it quickly. Not a very in-depth overview
Johan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ict
I am done with this book, but I haven't finished it. I usually like the "For Dummies"-books. You can read about a topic without prior knowledge, without having studied the topic or without experiences.
The authors of those books assume no prior knowledge
You quickly go to a level where you can talk with others about it.
If you like the subject, you can go and read some more advanced books or enroll in an (online) class. If not, then at least you know what it is about.

I recently started reading tw
Ossian Hempel
Does a decent job of what it sets out to do. Introduces the concepts within data science and points out what skills are required. Provides examples of applications in different fields. However, I don't know how useful such information really is. It can be good as guidance of where to continue learning, but the information itself is too diluted to be practical, in my opinion. In some parts there are code, in some, there are theoretical considerations, etc. ...more
Angie Boyter
Mar 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
See my Amazon review titled, "I guess I'm not even up to Dummy level".
Daniel
Dec 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read 2 editions of machine learning for dummies but, I had never read data science for dummies. So I was excited to read it. This book sure has a lot of information in it. It talks about Algorithms to information about business models for data science businesses.

My favorite chapters from the book are chapter 19 Ten Phenomenal resources for open data and chapter 20 Ten free or low-cost data science tools and applications. I got excited reading about all the places I could get data from.

I
Greg
Mar 13, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of data science. I thought going in there would be more examples of the programming and implementation side of things, but she does point to her website which has some examples in Python. Also has useful information on how to start and develop a career in data science, and lists of career tracks and job titles depending on what path you want your data science career to take.
Kelsey
wasn't what I was expecting ...more
Oak
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Data Science for Dummies by Lillian Pierson is a 364-page educational book that introduces the reader to data science basics while delving into topics such as big data and its infrastructure, data visualization, and real-world applications of data science. It is a well-formatted book, and Pierson’s use of charts, graphs, and pictures helps the reader further understand the material.

One of my favorite sections of the book was Chapter 9, “Following the Principles of Data Visualization and Design.”
Song
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is only a general introduction about the diverse topics in Data Engineering and Data Science. It's good for the novice to have the quick glance about the domains in this area.

The pro part of the book is not just focusing on programming or statistics, but also giving very good introductions about the database, Microsoft Excel, visual design, data storytelling and the various sources to find Open Data. The con part is people need find other books to study further for any given topics in
Thomas
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
It was a valiant attempt to define and educate the audience on the book on what “data science” is. I think it accomplished that, but otherwise the book got lost in the firehose of presenting applications, tools, and methodologies. It was too shallow to be useful and too deep to be absorbed for me.

It’s a good place to start if you want to further explore what to actually read about or experiment with in data science.
Jiannina
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested to know what is data science about, this is a good book to read. I really like how the author uses very simple words and real life examples to explain complex concepts. She also gives you some resources that will help you acquire the skills you need if you want to become a data scientist.
Danielle
Apr 06, 2021 rated it liked it
I listened to this book to review data science concepts prior to technical interviews, but the focus was more on defining data science and its position within business than on data science methods. Oh well. Back to the textbooks.
Ahmed Mohammed
Nov 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Good overall but very lacking in the data visualization part, it puch you to d3js which i don't recommend as a tool for visualization ...more
Khalid Alawar
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that provides a holistic view of Data Science, not too technical, provides exactly what it promises!
Cathy Craig
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mls
This is super technical for my sticks and stones brain. I took away a general overview of how big data is generated and what people do with it and that was basically what I looking for.
Eric
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good primer of what data science is and the tools available at a data analytic professional's disposal. ...more
Darren Chen
Although it is published in 2015, it still has a good bird's eye view of the field of data science and the tools used. ...more
Sam Isse
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great Book for introduction to data Science, it explains jargon of this field briefly
Ty Roper
Clear, simple explanation of Data Science.
Many references to public data sources and publicly available tools.
John
Jul 20, 2018
Eduardas Shishmanian
Mar 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Data Science and Data Analysis Training Classes in Pune 1 2 Sep 17, 2019 08:15PM

• And Then There Were None
  • Unmasked: The Honorable and Dishonorable Truths of a Professional Baseball Umpire
  • Social: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Connect
  • Think & Grow Rich / The Law of Success
  • Business Intelligence for Dummies
  • The Power of Imagination: The Neville Goddard Treasury
  • Speak Easy: How to be Articulate, Assertive, and Audacious Around People
  • Data Analytics: 3 Books in 1 - The New Ultimate Bible for Understanding & Using Data Analytics, Big Data + Data Science For Business + Data Mining
  • Selling You!
  • Accounting for Dummies

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Lillian Pierson is a CEO & data leader that supports data professionals to evolve into world-class leaders & entrepreneurs. To date, she’s helped educate over 1.3 million data professionals on AI and data science.

Lillian has authored 6 data books with Wiley & Sons Publishers as well as 8 data courses with LinkedIn Learning. She’s supported a wide variety of organizations across the globe, from the

News & Interviews